April 4th, 2011

Libyan Woman Speaks Out, Risks Her Life: Join the Live Chat

Breaking news: Eman al-Obeidy, the Libyan woman whose allegations of abuse at the hands of Gadhafi's forces got her arrested and dragged off in front of the world's media, is speaking out. Plus, word that Gadhafi is tossing around the idea of his son, Saif, taking control of the country. And the latest on Japan's nuclear crisis.

Want more details on what we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Troy Donnelly

I really would like to here why they chose her. Do they just grab any women off the street or is she a member of the rissistance, if so how did they know. Where they ordered to rape her for some reason.

April 4, 2011 at 10:22 pm |
  2. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

MaryBeth
    They're going to sue her for slander???

No, I don't think so.

April 4, 2011 at 10:22 pm |
  3. Nina

Anderson, how can CNN verify that Eman al-Obeidy is really speaking?

April 4, 2011 at 10:21 pm |
  4. Janis

The interview with Eman is so powerful. Brings tears for everyone in Libya who want freedom.

The Gadhafis need to send Eman back to her family as soon as possible.

April 4, 2011 at 10:21 pm |
  5. Renee

Okay I am sitting here crying for Eman.

April 4, 2011 at 10:21 pm |
  6. Rose from Muscoy, Calif

Thanks for that information, Megan.

April 4, 2011 at 10:20 pm |
  7. Nina

My question is this really Eman al-Obeidy?

April 4, 2011 at 10:20 pm |
  8. Krasi, Houston

Nicole, Netherlands: "Rape is been used as an weapon across the world, every day, every hour."

Exactly!

April 4, 2011 at 10:19 pm |
  9. Starr, formerly known as vincent

@Nichole – re: rape

You are right, rape has been used as a "weapon" for thousands of years!

And, it continues, as you say, everyday, all over the world.

This story is digusting! These men, hopefully, will suffer "what goes around, comes around".
    I can only pray.....

April 4, 2011 at 10:18 pm |
  10. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Rose,
    Eman al-Obeidy was raped his soldiers, that she managed escaped from them, they were almost kill her as she was so scream people at hotel, she is scared of them who raped her.

April 4, 2011 at 10:17 pm |
  11. Rose from Muscoy, Calif

Eman Al Obeidy is a brave woman. The Libyan govt. Always called the victim names. Gadhafi's soldiers should be arrest of raping this good woman. The family should be proud of her. God be with her.

April 4, 2011 at 10:17 pm |
  12. MaryBeth

They're going to sue her for slander???

April 4, 2011 at 10:16 pm |
  13. Janis

The world is watching. We will know what happens to Eman al-Obeidi. She needs to return to her family in the east. Gadhafi must allow her to return to her family.

April 4, 2011 at 10:16 pm |
  14. Dulcie - Denver

Thank you, Anderson for staying with Eman al-Obeidy's story. Your persistence may well have saved her life.

Her story is truly horrific. I'm so sorry for her and have been hopeful that the support of her family and tribe continues.

April 4, 2011 at 10:16 pm |
  15. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

I fear for Eman's life. If something happens to this woman, Lybian rebels and Gadhafi will show the world they are greedy savages.

April 4, 2011 at 10:14 pm |
  16. lalaura

heartbreaking I know everyone beleives its her but I think I need more proof...i know cnn has very good contacts but for me seeing how terrible she was treated it makes me skepitical that she is still alive...she is such a brave woman and I wish my country Canada would go rescue her...as a woman i cant imagine what she has gone through...keep fighting sister. you have sisters all over the world praying for you. xoxo

April 4, 2011 at 10:14 pm |
  17. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Bloggers,
    I agree all of you, Eman al-Obeidy is so brave woman tonight, she is really strong woman I have seen her, Her courage so much her faith what she willing escape from them.

April 4, 2011 at 10:13 pm |
  18. Krasi, Houston

Not to mention that horrible crimes against women are committed usually by either side in the conflict.

April 4, 2011 at 10:13 pm |
  19. Lisa in Louisville

Oh my God. This woman has been through unimaginable degradation, horror, and misery. It makes me sick listening to her story from the comfort and safety of my own home – I can't begin to imagine her terror, anger, and disgust.

April 4, 2011 at 10:12 pm |
  20. Nicole Netherlands

As I said before, remember, there are more woman (and girls) like Eman Al Obeidy..
    Not only in Libya

Rape is been used as an weapon across the world, every day, every hour.

April 4, 2011 at 10:12 pm |
  21. Rose from Muscoy, Calif

Hi Anderson and staffs of AC360. Great news tonight. This woman what happened? I missed the beinning.

April 4, 2011 at 10:11 pm |
  22. Janis

Thank you Nic Robertson and all the journalists who helped find her and arranged for us to hear her.

April 4, 2011 at 10:11 pm |
  23. Krasi, Houston

I's not important if the woman is telling her true story or not. What's important is that the story she tells is the story of thousands of women and children in conflict-torn regions around the world. Even the ones who survive rarely have the chance to speak out. So I am glad this woman is telling the story. Because it is happening to way too many way too often.

April 4, 2011 at 10:10 pm |
  24. MaryBeth

Thank you, Anderson, for clearing up her identity! It must be frustrating to not know 100% this is her. If a tenth of what she has said is true, she is very courageous and definitely an inspiration!

April 4, 2011 at 10:10 pm |
  25. rachel

Thank you AC for following this story. Please let Eman know that women's rights advocates around the world have noticed her bravery and continue to fight against these war atrocities.

April 4, 2011 at 10:10 pm |
  26. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

The truth always come to the light!

April 4, 2011 at 10:09 pm |
  27. Janis

Gadhafi will never win against the strength of will of the people of Libya. Their will is stronger than any army. Patience and time and people like Eman al-Obeidi will overcome him.

April 4, 2011 at 10:09 pm |
  28. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

when people live in a society and have their rights violated like this woman in Libya, they have no reason to live. I would not want to live any longer in a society like that. God help them

April 4, 2011 at 10:09 pm |
  29. Lamar

It's a miracle that she is alive..If I were not for journalist like Anderson she would have been forgotten.. Good job!

April 4, 2011 at 10:08 pm |
  30. Starr, formerly known as vincent

She's right, after what she has been through, Nothing could scare her now.

She is, indeed, a very Brave woman!

My thoughts & prayers are with her every day.

April 4, 2011 at 10:08 pm |
  31. Sharon Hastings

I guess I still don't understand why they took her. Maybe I missed that part.

April 4, 2011 at 10:08 pm |
  32. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

This is bad and inexcusable, but where is the coverage of the atrocities being done by the rebels?

April 4, 2011 at 10:07 pm |
  33. Merl, Ohio

Glad to hear she is alive. She is a very brave woman. Very sad story.

April 4, 2011 at 10:07 pm |
  34. MaryBeth

This is crazy. I missed the beginning. Are we sure it's really her?

April 4, 2011 at 10:06 pm |
  35. Janis

I hope she can have hope. She is so courageous. These monsters are Gadhafi's thugs. Gadhafi is responsible for these horrible crimes as long as he terrorizes Libya with these monsters.

April 4, 2011 at 10:06 pm |
  36. Starr, formerly known as vincent

Thank you Anderson et al for Finding Eman al Obeidi!

I believe your unrelenting coverage of her story kept her alive.

Hello, Nancy, Nichole, Megan, Emily, JoAnn, Mike, Casey, Heather, Sharon H., everyone.

God bless Eman, i pray with all of my heart that she can get to her family & tribe for comfort & safety.

What a horrific story! God bless the woman who helped her. I hope all of the women will gain their freedom. God bless them all!

April 4, 2011 at 10:06 pm |
  37. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

BettyAnn,
    Right! I agree with you!!!!!!

April 4, 2011 at 10:06 pm |
  38. Karen, MN

Hi Anderson,

This women is very brave. It is women like her that changes the world for everyone.

April 4, 2011 at 10:05 pm |
  39. Nicole Netherlands

Good Evening Everyone!
    Anderson and team thanks for finding Eman Al Obeidy!

Eman, you have never left my thoughts since saturday March 26th

April 4, 2011 at 10:04 pm |
  40. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

We have breaking news, we will hear from who this woman released from goverment, Anderson interview Emam al-Obeidy was abused by his soldiers.

April 4, 2011 at 10:04 pm |
  41. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

That interview makes me sick. Gang rape. How can the world not be disgusted with this regime? I can not imagine how the women must live there.

April 4, 2011 at 10:04 pm |
  42. MaryBeth

Good evening.

April 4, 2011 at 10:03 pm |
  43. Sharon Hastings

Good evening Anderson and everyone. I'm glad to hear that Eman is alive. I'm interested to hear what she has to say.

April 4, 2011 at 10:02 pm |
  44. Janis

Good evening. Glad Eman is found. They are still endangering her. Stay as safe as you can Eman. Libya needs you.

April 4, 2011 at 10:02 pm |
  45. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Helloooo Anderson, Megan, Isha, Jane, Martina, Nicole, Kim, Emily, Gloria, Mike, Casey, Cessy, Paula, Isabel, David-Indiana, JoAnn, Monica, Kathy, Gayle, Renee, Caroline, Lori, Heather, BettyAnn, Starr, Sharon, A. Smith, Devin, Karin, Dulcie, Michael, Karen, Miranda, Sree, Nancy, Sue, Kenya, Libby, Nina, Samantha, Chi, Jana, Karyn, Lily, Merl, others and my friend Facebook/Twitter Bloggers!!!!

Thanks for coming in for join us tonight!
    Hope you have great weekend!
    Happy Monday night!!!

April 4, 2011 at 10:01 pm |
  46. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    Hi! It's great to see you on–I hope you had a good weekend.
    I'm very glad to hear Eman al-Obeidy is alive, and you are able to interview her–I pray she remains safe.

April 4, 2011 at 10:00 pm |
  47. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Monday – Thursday

Thanks for coming in for join us tonight! 😀
    Hope you have great weekend! 🙂
    Happy Monday night!!!

April 4, 2011 at 10:00 pm |
  48. Dana

This woman is a beacon of light for women all over the world who have suffered traumatic events; even in the closets of America. I know her voice will be a strength for many and I hope our voices will do the same for her. Stay strong, Eman...we're behind you.

April 4, 2011 at 10:00 pm |
  49. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Good Evening Everyone! Greetings!

April 4, 2011 at 10:00 pm |
  50. pedro saraiva

I like to thank anderson cooper for his coverage of the obeidy story. If it were not for him and other goodwill people Obeidy today would be dead.
    Her story touched many hearts across the world.

April 4, 2011 at 9:58 pm |