March 31st, 2011

Gadhafi Looking for a Way Out?: Join the Live Chat

There are new signs tonight that Mommar Gadhafi's inner circle is shrinking and, perhaps, even splitting. There are reports that Colonel Gadhafi might, might be looking for a way out. We'll also have tonight's other headlines.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

I am happy to know that they survived all of that!

March 31, 2011 at 10:54 pm |
  2. Starr, formerly known as vincent

@Nina – re: PTSD

I believe you are right. It is an event they will never forget.
    It is likely they will all suffer some PTSD.

March 31, 2011 at 10:54 pm |
  3. Merl, Ohio

Radiation levels in Japan seem to be rising daily. I pray for the people . Radiation detected in the milk in California and Washington state. I wonder why EPA didn't catch it before it was bottled and sold in the U.S. for it was from U.S. cows.

March 31, 2011 at 10:54 pm |
  4. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Merl, Ohio
    @ Megan,
    It's amazing what those four have been through. So happy to hear they're back safe.

Merl,
    Yes, I am so happy too..... I agree, It is so amazing is right word, Merl! 🙂

March 31, 2011 at 10:54 pm |
  5. Paula, Colorado

Chilling interview with the journalists, Anderson. I'm glad they are alive–and are able to tell their story. I hope you're able to broadcast all of your interview with them.

March 31, 2011 at 10:54 pm |
  6. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

I read the story about these four journalists and the driver and it was a little confusing to follow. I get it now. I'm really glad 360 is doing this interview. It's an important story.

March 31, 2011 at 10:53 pm |
  7. Nicole Netherlands

Glad the NYT journalists made it out

March 31, 2011 at 10:53 pm |
  8. Janis

Interesting and chilling interview with the journalists.

March 31, 2011 at 10:52 pm |
  9. Sharon Hastings

The journalists' stories are chilling. I hope for their emotional recovery from the experience.

March 31, 2011 at 10:52 pm |
  10. Krasi, Houston

As dangerous as war conflicts are for all, women always seem to endure the worst. So disgusting that these men can only feel powerful by striking women into submission.

March 31, 2011 at 10:52 pm |
  11. lisal -canada

very intense interview – finding it kind of hard to watch though

March 31, 2011 at 10:51 pm |
  12. Nina

Excellent interviews Anderson. It really shows the horror of feeling out of control and helpless. Your head spinning with all possibilities of what and how they will torture and kill you. Talk about PTSD! Thank goodness they are all alive and now safe.

March 31, 2011 at 10:51 pm |
  13. Starr, formerly known as vincent

I give these four jounalists great credit for what they have been through.

Thank God some of them knew how to speak Arabic (?). Communication helps sometimes.

God bless the woman in the group and how well she handled herself. That hair story was really creepy.

@Anderson, thank you for getting such a revealing interview with the NYT reporters.

March 31, 2011 at 10:50 pm |
  14. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Merl, Ohio
    Hello everyone. Very courageous woman. Journalists are also courageous too. Dangerous times.

Merl,
    Yes, You're right, they are so lucky to be alive!!!!

March 31, 2011 at 10:50 pm |
  15. Merl, Ohio

@ Megan,

March 31, 2011 at 10:49 pm |
  16. James Leon Mahan

Thanks reporters for the coverage. Due to technology is there a way this could be covered partly by satellite. It is a shame they have to risk injury or death to cover a story but it must be done. I am also wanting this conflict to be over quickly. I am afraid that there is no quick solution.

March 31, 2011 at 10:48 pm |
  17. Sue R.,,-Canton Mi.

I agree that the journalist who are covering this story are very courageous. I'm thankful to all who cover the story in dangerous places.

March 31, 2011 at 10:48 pm |
  18. Nina

Merl
    Did you hear the latest about this poor woman? They claim she is in a safe house now? Then why did they hit the jounalist and why did she have the gash in her leg?

Until I see her in the media with her family, I do not believe a word of it. Save house? HA!

March 31, 2011 at 10:48 pm |
  19. Krasi, Houston

Good evening! Looks like I came in just in time to hear this incredible story. I can only imagine the strength and attitude it takes to survive such a situation.

At least, it seems that the attackers realized the implications of killing four American journalists and let them live, but I wonder what happened to the driver?

March 31, 2011 at 10:47 pm |
  20. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Lynsey, Anthony, Tyler and Stephen are so brave what they are doing great job..... Anderson and I are so glad them to be alive while they were in Libya, We felt sorry for them who attack them as well. Welcome home back! 🙂

March 31, 2011 at 10:47 pm |
  21. Merl, Ohio

@ Nina
    @Megan

March 31, 2011 at 10:45 pm |
  22. Nina

omg, being on your stomach and hearing someone say, "shoot them" they probably went numb and feeling so helpless... how scary and horrid.

March 31, 2011 at 10:44 pm |
  23. Nina

Merl, Ohio

Well stated and so true. One just never knows

March 31, 2011 at 10:42 pm |
  24. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Nina
    Thanks Megan.... I am afraid this woman was not only raped and brutalized by 15 men, now she is probably killed for being so courageous. These times are so scary. You just never know who will hurt or kill you.

Nina,
    You're welcome, Yes, That is so horrible for her, I agree your comment......... That's good point!

March 31, 2011 at 10:41 pm |
  25. Sue R.,,-Canton Mi.

I pray for the safety of Eman. It's hard to imagine the torture that these creep's have inflicted on so many people. She may have a bit of protection with the media focus on her situation. But what's going to happen when she no longer has the media attention?

March 31, 2011 at 10:41 pm |
  26. Lori

I am suprised that these four lived.

March 31, 2011 at 10:41 pm |
  27. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

I feel that the reporters are going to tell some deep chilling stories to be reckon.

March 31, 2011 at 10:40 pm |
  28. Merl, Ohio

Hello everyone. Very courageous woman. Journalists are also couraegous too. Dangerous times.

March 31, 2011 at 10:40 pm |
  29. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

Do you suppose the guest rooms of the journalists are bugged or have video feeds–makes you wonder, doesn't it? I would have reservations about eating at the hotel considering it appears the "staff" are just pro-Gadhafi plants and who knows what is actually in your food?

March 31, 2011 at 10:37 pm |
  30. Nina

Megan Dresslar
    They don't want tell us and Anderson including media..... we don't know where is Eman right now, Yes, she is also missing.

March 31, 2011 at 10:37 pm |
  31. Starr, formerly known as vincent

I'm still praying for Eman al-Obeidy will be sent home.

If she is in some kind of treatment center – let her go home. She will recover better there than in some "center" that acts as a jail.

God bless J.Miller for his honoring of Eman's courage. She was most definitely courageous!

March 31, 2011 at 10:37 pm |
  32. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Nicole Netherlands
    @Megan, my point was that the deciscion to enforce the no fly zone, was made almost two weeks ago.
    I thought that in the same planning and talking by world leaders, humanitarian aid would have been discussed too..
    The coalition won't throw bombs on towns, they are very careful. No evidence of civilian dead till this day..

YES! That's right, there are no proof of that, I agree your comment!

March 31, 2011 at 10:36 pm |
  33. Nancy in Oregon

Good evening, people. What harrowing stories tonight.

March 31, 2011 at 10:36 pm |
  34. Sharon Hastings

I fear for the safety of all of these journalists over there. There have been some scary close calls and some terrific abuse. Some seem too close to flying bullets lately.

March 31, 2011 at 10:36 pm |
  35. Patricia

Hello Anderson,

it must be rough being a journalist, just watching the way the have been treated.

March 31, 2011 at 10:36 pm |
  36. Nina

@Janis
    Her wedding! How wonderful of her tribe to care so for such a courageous, honorable woman.

Her family and husband to be have been so supportive. I only hope nothing happens to them.

March 31, 2011 at 10:33 pm |
  37. Nicole Netherlands

Remember Eman al Obeidy is a woman who needs to be found!
    But how many woman (and man)are there who are lost in this ""justice"" system?!
    How many have been silenced these last weeks?!

March 31, 2011 at 10:33 pm |
  38. amjed

belive me, qaddafi is playing with time and very patient. he have one goal and he is determine to finish it ( kill all the libyans and get his revenge )

March 31, 2011 at 10:33 pm |
  39. Nina

Eman al-Obeidy's poor parents. They must be so worried for her and so am I.
    5 days??? Not good!
    She was so courageous expressing herself in the media. I only hope it did not diminish her life.

March 31, 2011 at 10:32 pm |
  40. Janis

March 31, 2011 at 10:31 pm |
  41. Valerie, BC

I'd hate to see Ghadafi cut himself a nice deal after all the terror and brutality he has inflicted on so many people for so many years. he doesn't deserve it

March 31, 2011 at 10:31 pm |
  42. Nicole Netherlands

March 31, 2011 at 10:31 pm |
  43. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Nina
    Is Eman al-Obeidy still missing?

Nina,

March 31, 2011 at 10:30 pm |
  44. Lori

That poor woman. Where is she? Her poor husband. What terrible circumstances.

March 31, 2011 at 10:30 pm |
  45. Nina

@Janis
    Yes, sadly.

Thanks.
    It really is very sad. This poor woman had been brutalized by 15 men and now missing 😦

March 31, 2011 at 10:30 pm |
  46. Nina

@ Janis
    It would be great if more countries would start recognizing the opposition government as the legitimate government of Libya

I agree. Maybe in time

March 31, 2011 at 10:28 pm |
  47. amjed

we know musa kusa in libya, recently he didnt have any roll in what is going on and he is not a big treath to qaddafi

March 31, 2011 at 10:28 pm |
  48. Janis

@Nina – Yes, sadly.

March 31, 2011 at 10:28 pm |
  49. Vincent Blas

Thanks for the reporting.

March 31, 2011 at 10:28 pm |
  50. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Janis
    @Megan – Thanks Megan. It's good so many of us care about her. I don't want her to be forgotten with all the news going on now.

Janis,