March 26th, 2011

Letters to the President: #796 'Break time'

Tom Foreman | BIO
AC360° Correspondent

Reporter's Note: The president is being hit with one big event after another on the world stage. That’s why I’m taking a break for both of us.

Dear Mr. President,

What on Earth happened to spring? Here it was warming nicely, the daffodils were popping up, cherry blossoms emerging, and now suddenly the cold breezes are blowing and there is snow in the forecast again! Ah well, there is nothing to do about it, so I guess I’ll endure.

Despite the wintery winds, I suspect I have fallen into a bit of spring fever, because I must say I really have had just no interest in politics this weekend. Not much in world events either. I realize that this is a tragic turn for a newsman, but I’m just laying my cards on the table.

Maybe it’s a combination of being hit with so many massive events, one right after the next. The shooting in Arizona, the troubles in the Middle East, then the earthquake and tsunami, then the related nuclear problems, and now we have a war in Libya. (Yes, I know, you’re trying really hard not to call it a ‘war,’ but honestly, as soon as missiles start launching and fighter jets fill the skies, it certainly doesn’t look like a game of Twister, does it?)

In any event, I find myself thinking much more than usual about…well, almost anything other than news. I have enjoyed the heck out of playing with the dog lately. My running has never been better. And I have been playing more guitar than I have in months - maybe years.

In your position, I realize that you have no choice but to daily engage the issues whether you feel like it or not. You can’t exactly say “Oh piffle, I’ll just deal with the war tomorrow.” But frankly, I think it is good for even the most involved citizens to occasionally take a break from the fear and frustration of world events. A lot of problems, after all, don’t seem nearly as big and scary after a good night’s sleep, and I think the decisions we make about addressing those problems are often much more sound in such circumstances.

So on second thought, maybe even for presidents relaxing a bit and clearing your head is not a bad idea. Because hey, who knows what will come along tomorrow?

Hope all is well. Going out to walk the dog.

Regards,
Tom

Follow Tom on Twitter @tomforemancnn.

Find more of the Foreman Letters here.

1. Frieda Robinson

I think you're absolutely right! I'm with you! I should't be surprised by the things that some people come up with. I think that our Country is doing a greattt..... job. And I have a great respect for everyone at CNN for reporting the right side of things. Thank You! I think the folks in congress are just a little jealous that they didn't have a say this time. Would they have said "let people die" and why should we get involved? Stop already!

March 27, 2011 at 2:15 pm |
  2. Lynn Stevenson

What seems to be a circus in politics has consumed viewers away from the "real people" of this world. Could we get back to basics just for a short time while the rest of the world is falling apart. Humanity needs a break.

March 27, 2011 at 2:12 pm |
  3. JALI

Sorry, I forgot something very important. To arm the rebels is only to help them to destroy the Gadafi arms. The most important it will be to have the less as possible arms in Libya at the end of the process.

March 27, 2011 at 1:44 pm |
  4. JALI

Mr. President.

First I think you are doing a good Job.

Most of the dictators use the democracy rules to justify his objectives. And the occidental work are so studied that they feel guilty.

As easy as that.

First phase:
    Destroy the armament as much as you can, including airplanes. It is very important.
    If you cannot do it, let’s the rebels to do it with some arms.

Remember, you are giving arms to the rebels to defend themselves.

Gadafi will see he cannot do anything.

Give some arms and munitions to the rebels.

Block the import of arms to Libya to Gadafi.

State away from the political arena. Be smart.

The only political arm that Gadafi has is to the so call imperialist invasion.

Otherwise, he looks as a tyrant killing his own people.

Without that he is over.

Second, phase,
    Give humanitarian support, NEVER money to the rebels.

Good luck.

March 27, 2011 at 8:39 am |
  5. lester franklyn

gadhafi not my problem. from retired veteran. workers rights and Gop

March 26, 2011 at 11:07 pm |
  6. emmett newland

please lets not forget our troops stationed in japan, they are harms way. they are our children.humanitarinism,like charity begins at home. we can always return after the japanese contain nuclear plants. thank you

March 26, 2011 at 2:56 pm |
  7. Michael Hakulin Sr

Well Mr. Obama, are we going to declare a no-fly
    zone over London? And how about Syria, and Yemen?
    What do you suppose Qadaffi is going to do if he
    is being overrun? I really don't think he is going to go down without a fight or last blow.

March 26, 2011 at 11:26 am |
  8. iman

I hope anderson cooper will continue to do full coverage on the japanese diaster and the nuclear disaster or not.

March 26, 2011 at 11:13 am |