March 25th, 2011

NATO's Expanding Role in Libya: Join the Live Chat

The top commander of the U.S. military operation in Libya says NATO has agreed in principle to take over not only the no-fly zone, but also the broader mission of protecting civilians. We'll have the latest developments from Tripoli and Benghazi. Plus, dire concerns in Japan after a troubling day at the crippled nuclear power plant.

Want more details on what covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Bob

Oh MY God Canada is going to lead NATO operations. It is about time...seems to me in many past battles when other countries could not do the job we did. I am Canadian and very proud of the fact. This person ( Qaddafi )if you can call him that needs to die plain and simple alone with his family. The world does not need dictators end of story. Enough of this pussy footing around.
    To remove the problem go to the root and that would be Qaddafi for starters.
    What would the world done if it was Hitler no much difference between the personalities I would say.
    Go troops

March 25, 2011 at 10:41 pm |
  2. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Foaud Ajami is perfect right answer, Good point.... we don't want to hear what people are protesting and against each others during war.

March 25, 2011 at 10:41 pm |
  3. Nina

@ Megan
    I am so worried that many more people will be killed in all the countries in the ME before this is over...

March 25, 2011 at 10:40 pm |
  4. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

What happened to being out of Libya in days? Another lie.

March 25, 2011 at 10:40 pm |
  5. MaryBeth

What? Torture in Egypt? What's going on? We need more reporting on the aftermath.

March 25, 2011 at 10:40 pm |
  6. Sharon Hastings

Horrible accounts of torture in Egypt?! What's going on?

I'm thinking about all these traumatized children of war. They grow up and then what happens to them?

March 25, 2011 at 10:38 pm |
  7. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Nina,
    Yes, Very indeed killed 100 people.......

Yes, I agree.....

March 25, 2011 at 10:38 pm |
  8. anna

we need to get in take care of the problem and get out that way no more people are hurt or killed.we have enough soldiers kill as it is we do not need any more war's to battle for others.

March 25, 2011 at 10:37 pm |
  9. Nina

MaryBeth
    Really? Protests in Jordan? For some reason I thought King Abdullah was an okay guy?

I suspect all the countries in the ME will end up in revolution. With education of the young, comes the desire to NOT be oppressed...

March 25, 2011 at 10:36 pm |
  10. Patricia

The false funerals are just another indication of what lengths crazy Qaddafi and his followers will go to.

It breaks my heart to see how the children are forced to live amid all the madness in Libya as well as in Iraq and Afghanistan. One can only appreciate even more the way the Egyptians handled their uprising;however, Mubarak graciously bowed out, unlike the other dictators in the area.

March 25, 2011 at 10:34 pm |
  11. MaryBeth

March 25, 2011 at 10:33 pm |
  12. Starr, formerly known as vincent

@Sharon Hastings re: Gadhfi war criminal

I feel that unless he is kidnapped by special forces or is turned over (drugged) by one of his own to save their own hide, Gadhafi definitely does not see himself in jail ever.

Our best hope is for his "inner circle" to turn on him, just don't know if that will ever happen.

God bless the Syrian man on the pone with Sanjay. He has made excellent points. Clearly he is courgeous and well informed on politics and what kind of political reform he feels should happen and how it should happen.
    I pray he stays safe.

March 25, 2011 at 10:32 pm |
  13. Nina

Megan, I understand that we are holding several billion dollars of Qaddafi. I wonder if we could charge him for all the Missiles we have used :~) against him lol

March 25, 2011 at 10:29 pm |
  14. Nicole Netherlands

Good Good Evening Anderson, Sanjay,
    AC360 Team, Starr, Emily, Jo Ann, Megan, Sharon, Heather,Nancy, Gloria, Mike, everyone!

March 25, 2011 at 10:28 pm |
  15. Nina

I hear over 100 people killed in Syria

March 25, 2011 at 10:28 pm |
  16. MaryBeth

@Starr, yes, I'm glad the military is clear, they're the ones who definitely need to be clear on their mission! All the others? I also agree with you that it's politics. You know that after Obama talks on Monday, people (Republicans) will still say they're confused! I think they will remain confused as long as this thing goes on.

March 25, 2011 at 10:27 pm |
  17. Hoa Tran

Anderson, please give it time for the Allies bombings to take effect. Enemies of the US make plans in terms of decades, but the media cannot give the US a few weeks, few months for the the bombings to take effect? True, the opposition fighters are just amateurs. But when the Qaddafi loyalists run out of supplies, even that would be enough to rout them.

March 25, 2011 at 10:26 pm |
  18. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Nina,
    I hope not either to send our troops, too..... I agree.

March 25, 2011 at 10:26 pm |
  19. Karen

Why isn't anyone making the case that as long as Gadhafi lives millions of his people face "disappearing", torture, death. If the mission is to proted the people, Mr. G needs to go!

March 25, 2011 at 10:23 pm |
  20. Sharon Hastings

I hope everyone doesn't have to wait for some indictment on war crimes to get rid of Gadhafi. However, I don't see him gone from Libya unless a bomb falls on him or someone does him in. I was hoping for his family to intervene but I guess not.

March 25, 2011 at 10:23 pm |
  21. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Marybeth.....
    Yes, they are so deny confirm as well in Syria.... Good point, but the president won't leave his office as well.

March 25, 2011 at 10:22 pm |
  22. Starr, formerly known as vincent

@MaryBeth re Clueless people

I's just reassured our military is "clear" on the mission.

As for other who may be "clueless", i feel some are playing politics. However, if the "clueless" includes the American people, the Pres. is scheduled to speak on Mon or Tues in Prime time where he is reported to clear up any confusion.

March 25, 2011 at 10:20 pm |
  23. John

I am suprised that the President and the Secretary of state say that Gaddafi must go and the same time there is not action in the ground to stop his actions killing with tanks and artilery citizens. The world told the rebells to start but they cannot finish the job with knifes.It is suprised that the NATO does not take position today to take off all heavy tanks and ans artilery to prevent more killings. We all start this lets finish the job now. If we sto here all rebels will be killed and we will all cry for such acrocities that we did not stop.

March 25, 2011 at 10:20 pm |
  24. Nina

I only hope the US will not send ground troops!

March 25, 2011 at 10:18 pm |
  25. Steve L

Just need the British SAS, Canadian JTF2, USSF and French Commandos to be on the ground (secretly) to put lasers on targets.

March 25, 2011 at 10:18 pm |
  26. MaryBeth

I think that reporter is right. There will be no negotiation. If Gadhafi remains, the rebels are as good as dead.

March 25, 2011 at 10:17 pm |
  27. Nina

Qaddafi will not negotiate with anyone... you must be joking

March 25, 2011 at 10:15 pm |
  28. Nina

My ultimate concern is this could very well end up a ground war

March 25, 2011 at 10:15 pm |
  29. Vince

Good evening everyone,

The children are always the most vulnerable as they sometimes cannot fully understand what is happening- hope all ends good for the people of Libya.

March 25, 2011 at 10:13 pm |
  30. Karen

To Nina – re fear, I think it must be even more terrifying to be targeted by your own government. These people are the real heroes in these stories.

March 25, 2011 at 10:12 pm |
  31. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Good job reporters Arwa and Nic..... Keep them safe in Libya.......... Bloggers,
    I agree all of you. That was very scary one, So I am glad NATO take over in Libya right now..... France and U.S. are doing great job! 🙂

March 25, 2011 at 10:12 pm |
  32. MaryBeth

@Casey Jones, I agree! When faced with a lose-lose option, is it truly a choice?

March 25, 2011 at 10:12 pm |
  33. Steve L

French, British and Canadian Jets have been striking Regime Forces right from the beginning. The night footage from the Canadian CF-18 is from March 22nd. I hope Nato saw the dug in vehicles a few minutes ago in Nic's report 🙂

March 25, 2011 at 10:10 pm |
  34. Patrick

Eastern Libya is the centre of resistance to Gadhafi, it is also home to proportionately the largest body of foreign Islamists who fought in Iraq against the allies.

So like now,it's not a delightful thought, just as the allies intervened in Iraq actually freed the murderous Al – Qaeda cells in Iraq. So similar consequences might result from the overthrow of Gadhafi, s power in Libya.

Not so much a Trogan horse – more like a Trogan horse stampede, unbelievable!

March 25, 2011 at 10:10 pm |
  35. MaryBeth

@Megan, at least we now know for certain what is going on in Syria! Last night they wouldn't confirm/deny anything!

March 25, 2011 at 10:10 pm |
  36. Nina

How unnerving to hear weapons firing in the evening and the ground rumbling from the missile explosions.

March 25, 2011 at 10:09 pm |
  37. Karen

Journalists covering both these stories are as courageous as our forces who are fighting. (Perhaps not quite as courageous as the people in those countries who are peacefully protesting for democracy). Loved your Japan coverage Sanjay!!

March 25, 2011 at 10:09 pm |
  38. Sharon Hastings

It's so tragic to see how these kids there are terrorized by the violence around them. I can't imagine the horror for these kids and their families. Unfortunately I'm sure Gadhafi is finding some outsiders to fight for him.

March 25, 2011 at 10:09 pm |
  39. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

Good Evening Ladies and Gentlemen.

I only understand people behaving like puppets up to a point. What a dismal and dreadful life living in such desperation and fear that you will never, even with the opportunity present, step up to the plate. I apologize if that sounds ignorant or arrogant but that's my current perspective. Volunteers? Really? Are they truly willing?

March 25, 2011 at 10:08 pm |
  40. MaryBeth

@Starr, it's amazing how some people are completely clear on the mission and some people are completely clueless. Where is the disconnect? Are the "clueless" people asking for too much?

March 25, 2011 at 10:08 pm |
  41. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

That is so horrible in Syria and Libya!!!!!!! Yikes!!!!!

March 25, 2011 at 10:07 pm |
  42. Nina

I cannot even imagine the stress of living in a country in which another country is sending missiles around my home and the fear that they could make a mistake and take out my family and myself....

March 25, 2011 at 10:05 pm |
  43. Starr, formerly known as vincent

Evening Sanjay & Team 360.

Hello, Nancy, Nichole, Megan, Emily, JoAnn, Mike, Casey, Nina, Heather, Sharon H., everyone.

Saw the interview with Gen. Ham earlier. He seems clear on the "mission".

March 25, 2011 at 10:05 pm |
  44. MaryBeth

More weird easily proven false propaganda....why bother?

March 25, 2011 at 10:04 pm |
  45. Sharon Hastings

Good evening Sanjay and everyone. Thanks to 360 for keeping us up to date on these important stories. Wow, British and French planes getting tough!

March 25, 2011 at 10:03 pm |
  46. Karen

I am relieved that our forces can operate under one central command. Coordination with all the partners in the alliance has been extraordinary so far, but dual command just sounded impossible. Also, can someone explain the significance of the presence of plutonium at reactor #3. Is it more radioactive? Have a longer half-life? What? BTW, love your Middle East coverage, keep it up!!

March 25, 2011 at 10:02 pm |
  47. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Hello Sanjay! 🙂

March 25, 2011 at 10:01 pm |
  48. Nina

Good Evening Dr. Gupta, Team 360, Megan, Starr, Merl, Mike, Krasi and David.

March 25, 2011 at 10:01 pm |
  49. MaryBeth

Happy Friday, everyone! More crazy protests....will this "Arab Spring" succeed?

March 25, 2011 at 10:00 pm |
  50. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Helloooo Anderson, Megan, Isha, David G, Martina, Nicole, Kim, Emily, Gloria, Mike, Casey, Cessy, Paula, Isabel, David-Indiana, JoAnn, Monica, Kathy, Jane, Gayle, Renee, Caroline, Lori, BettyAnn, Heather, Starr, Sharon, Casey, A. Smith, Devin, Karin, Dulcie, Michael, Karen, Miranda, Sree, Nancy, Sue, Kenya, Libby, Nina, Karyn, Indiana, Jana, Chi, Samantha others and my friend Twitter/Facebook Bloggers!!!!
    Thank God It's Friday Night!!!!
    Couldn't wait forward this weekend!
    Thanks for coming in for join us tonight!

March 25, 2011 at 10:00 pm |