March 23rd, 2011

Target Tripoli: Join the Live Chat

There a reports of new explosions in Tripoli.  We've covering the breaking news. Plus, new radiation concerns in Japan. And, workers returns to the damaged nuclear plant after being evacuated when smoke was spewing from reactor No. 3. We're also remembering actress Elizabeth Taylor.

Want more details on what covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Nicole Netherlands

Anderson and team, thanks for staying on Libya and adressing Syria.
    Great show, again 😉
    Bloggers, everyone, sleep well
    Imagine 35 million people in Tokyo, how many children can't drink tapwater?!

Peace

March 23, 2011 at 10:57 pm |
  2. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

Have a great Thursday Jo Ann!

March 23, 2011 at 10:57 pm |
  3. Kaytee

RIP Ms. Elizabeth Taylor

March 23, 2011 at 10:57 pm |
  4. Merl, Ohio

Our prayers go out to the Japanese people.
    For the people that want nuclear power, Mankinds unwillingness to accept the foresight of mankinds error will always lead to mankinds irreparable failures.

March 23, 2011 at 10:57 pm |
  5. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

Chloride stress corrosion can very quickly cause failure of fuel rods in a nuclear reactor. The salt water is a last ditch effort to cool the reactor, but it is a death blow to ever operate again.

March 23, 2011 at 10:57 pm |
  6. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

@Betty Ann...the positive aspect of this nuclear disaster is that (maybe) it will force us to raise the bar on nuclear safety here in the U.S.

March 23, 2011 at 10:56 pm |
  7. Janis

I sure don't have any trust in nuclear power anymore. People would have to be crazy to even consider it. One failure could devastate so much – not a good gamble.

Good night everyone.

Goodbye Elizabeth Taylor. Suddenly Last Summer was my favorite – Raintree County was good too. Will miss you so.

March 23, 2011 at 10:56 pm |
  8. Jo Ann, Ohio

Good night Emily, Mike, Starr, Nicole, Nancy in Oregon, Casey, and Megan.

March 23, 2011 at 10:56 pm |
  9. carol b

Do not think we should be involved with Libya? We have enough involvement with other muslim countries. The United States is intertwining us into foreign conflicts like a boa constrictor.

March 23, 2011 at 10:56 pm |
  10. Nina

Elizabeth Taylor was a wonderful actress, absolutely drop dead gorgeous, and a humanitarian. My condolences to her family. She will be missed!

March 23, 2011 at 10:56 pm |
  11. Chi

Hope tap water is well-monitored so that people can be safe from toxic.

March 23, 2011 at 10:55 pm |
  12. Lamar

@Steve
    Would you agree with me that we have special forces on the ground in Libya gathering information?

March 23, 2011 at 10:55 pm |
  13. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

Wow. I never thought about the salt and mineral residue and the devastating effect it could have–that could completely cripple any system.

Does Japan get all of it's water from natural sources? I would find that puzzling. I guess I need to some studying (on Japan).

March 23, 2011 at 10:55 pm |
  14. Krasi, Houston

Good night everyone!

March 23, 2011 at 10:55 pm |
  15. dave

@nina we need to know more about who we are shielding or are just providing air cover to 1 side in a civil war and 1 we know nothing about

March 23, 2011 at 10:54 pm |
  16. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Good night Anderson, Megan, Isha, Jane, Martina, Nicole, Kim, Emily, Gloria, Mike, Casey, Cessy, Paula, Isabel, David-Indiana, JoAnn, Monica, Kathy, Jane, Gayle, Renee, Caroline, Lori, Heather, BettyAnn, Starr, Sharon, A. Smith, Devin, Karin, Dulcie, Michael, Karen, Miranda, Sree, Nancy, Sue, Kenya, Libby, Nina, Samantha, Jana, Chi, Karyn, Lilly, others and my friend Twitter/Facebook Bloggers!!!!
    See you tomorrow night, Have a great night & Sleep tight everyone!!!
    Anderson,
    Have a great/good night, Tight sleep & rest,
    See you tomorrow night!

March 23, 2011 at 10:54 pm |
  17. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

Goodnight everyone! Peace be with you all! XO

March 23, 2011 at 10:54 pm |
  18. Nina

With the rods covered in salt and debris, will they start to heat out of control?

March 23, 2011 at 10:53 pm |
  19. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

If the tap water in Tokyo is unsafe for the infants, most likely, it is a good change that the tap water is unsafe for adults as well.

March 23, 2011 at 10:53 pm |
  20. Chi

Pray for Japan. God bless Japan.

March 23, 2011 at 10:53 pm |
  21. Merl, Ohio

I wonder if the Japanese people are eating more "miso". For general radiation exposure, whethter nuclear or medical, "miso" can provide protection. In a different way than iodine.

March 23, 2011 at 10:53 pm |
  22. Jo Ann, Ohio

I wonder how much land has been affected by the radiation. If the land is deemed unsafe where will all of these people live?

March 23, 2011 at 10:53 pm |
  23. Nina

Tragic that the radiation has entered the ground water in Japan. I believe the poor Japanese will be finding out radioactive materials in many now undiscovered areas. My prayers are for these people. They are such an honorable people and culture.

March 23, 2011 at 10:53 pm |
  24. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Not good to drink water tap for babies not adult from Japan....... That is so dangerous one for radiation!!!!! Be careful.

March 23, 2011 at 10:52 pm |
  25. Starr, formerly known as vincent

The radiation poisoning in Japan is a true concern.
    Now contaminated tap water to the point it cannot be used for infants.
    I am so concerned that the situation with the nuclear power plants is going to grow before it gets settled. I could be years before the land around that area will be healthy enough to grow vegs, etc.

Japan and its people are never far from my thoughts and prayers...it's going to be a very long time to re build too.

March 23, 2011 at 10:52 pm |
  26. Karen, MN

I'm so scared that we won't know the damage the nuclear radiation has caused for several years. Cancer is such a hard battle to fit.

March 23, 2011 at 10:52 pm |
  27. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

I surely hope we learn a lethal lesson about Nuclear Power. Mother nature will always win. We loose

March 23, 2011 at 10:52 pm |
  28. Roger

Hi Anderson
    I congratulate you and the CNN team for the excelent reporting on the latest developments in the North Africa and Japan.
    I have heard so many times that the US involvement in Lybia is not, necesseraily, in the US interest.
    I entirely disagree with this. For the Arab street the US involvement on the side of the people is something that is very important and is in the US interest.
    I know, that has "supposedly" hapenned in Iraq and Afghanistan, but IMO whats going on now is totaly diferent from what happened in Iraq and Afghanistan
    Keep up the good work

March 23, 2011 at 10:51 pm |
  29. Chi

@Ayke 10:33 I am thinking of the same thing.Hope one violence will not be replaced with another. Radical change is change. Other than that I believe it is just a small shift. And who stuck in between are innocent civilians 🙁 Sad.

March 23, 2011 at 10:50 pm |
  30. Merl, Ohio

Our hearts go out to the poor people of Japan. And have our full attention. Don't want to say it but, it looks like a meltdown of the spent fuel rods now.

March 23, 2011 at 10:50 pm |
  31. Jo Ann, Ohio

Why hasn't the coalition met with the African Union?

March 23, 2011 at 10:50 pm |
  32. Janis

@Merl – He's not supposed to be. From what I understand, if he has command control function around or in his palace, it is a target and not him.

March 23, 2011 at 10:49 pm |
  33. Karen, MN

I think Gadaffi and all his money should pay for the the no fly zone.

March 23, 2011 at 10:49 pm |
  34. Niki

The Japanese Gov has been under-estimating the Nuclear disaster from day one, to protect the NIKKEI, not the people.

March 23, 2011 at 10:49 pm |
  35. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

That's so horrible shock in Jerusalem, Israel..... Only one death...... my heart goes out to them!

March 23, 2011 at 10:48 pm |
  36. Lamar

@ Betty our congressional leaders are hypocrits..It's all about politics..

March 23, 2011 at 10:48 pm |
  37. Nicole Netherlands

@Starr " this is NOT a Civil War in Lybia.
    It is an uprising against a tyrant!"

That's the way I think about it!
    Nothing to prove otherwise...

March 23, 2011 at 10:48 pm |
  38. Jo Ann, Ohio

@Mike, formerly from Syracuse, "Gadhafi and the tribes in the west staged a coup and he took over."

I agree. Gaddafi was never a legitimate leader.

March 23, 2011 at 10:47 pm |
  39. Krasi, Houston

Janis, no, I don't want the people in Libya to suffer. But I don't really want any people to suffer. I am just pointing out that certain nations get "preferential treatment" so to say and are graced with our humanitarian help. Others, too bad they are not important.

March 23, 2011 at 10:47 pm |
  40. Paula, Colorado

Incredible interview with the man in Syria, Anderson.

March 23, 2011 at 10:46 pm |
  41. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

@kaytee So true! It is tiring that the GOP just take the opposing view no matter what. I am so sick of that. Do they have an actual opinion or agenda other than dividing ? I don't think so

March 23, 2011 at 10:46 pm |
  42. sandra knepper

Maybe we should arm the Libyan people with cell phones or droids that have GPS, instead of guns! Are there are any cell phone towers in this country? It might be cheaper in the long run, besides, the word is mightier than the sword.

March 23, 2011 at 10:46 pm |
  43. lilly

Good Night:)

March 23, 2011 at 10:46 pm |
  44. Hilary Stookey

It seems extraordinarily sad that American politicians are complaining about the US air force (+funds) being used for a clear humanitarian mission – to save citizens about to be massacred – yet Congress was perfectly willing to risk the lives of American GROUND forces in its vote for entering Iraq, under the flimsiest of evidence about WMD's. It looks like "we" don't do the save people thing, we just do the pre-emptive fighting because it suits our interests.

March 23, 2011 at 10:46 pm |
  45. brandon elam

All of this surrounds Israel , Libya and Syria. I think this could be a distraction to us for something else bigger to take place. You got to keep in mind that the east thinks different than us and I think that there getting geared up for something bigger. You cant figure out an illogical thinker by thinking logically. There all about dying for there cause, even if it is Suicide.

March 23, 2011 at 10:46 pm |
  46. Mona

Hi Anderson, I just wanted to say Libya was united by King Idris Alsonosi ( King of Libya) and not by Gadafi, when Gadafi took over in 1969 Libya was united and was called United Libyan Kingdom. Regarding what is happening now in Libya it is not a civil war it is the Libyan People against Gadafi, his family and his inner circle.

March 23, 2011 at 10:45 pm |
  47. Lamar

@ Betty Congress can't even agree on a fiscal budget. If the President had brought this before the full body of Congress they would shot him down like the budget they can't agree on..

March 23, 2011 at 10:45 pm |
  48. Janis

Prof. Slaughter – excellent panel discussion. Thank you.

March 23, 2011 at 10:45 pm |
  49. Mary U

This wouldn't be stretched out Now they have no air strikes.. Now get rid of all his homes, make him stand in the streets so the libya people can finish him off. the Guy has no mercy for his own people..

March 23, 2011 at 10:44 pm |
  50. Nicole Netherlands

@Mike and @Mary Beth
    A split Libya is not a solution, the coalition forces will have to be there for years
    The tribal theories. I have not heard anything coming -out- of Libya indicating tribal fights, I only hear those theories in the media.

March 23, 2011 at 10:44 pm |