March 18th, 2011

Man Found Alive in Rubble: Join the Live Chat

Breaking News out of Japan. NHK is reporting a young man has been found alive in the rubble, 8 days after the earthquake and tsunami hit. We'll have that and the latest developments out of Libya.

Want more details on what covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

So glad to see someone found alive after 8 days! Can you imagine how happy the family is?

March 18, 2011 at 10:49 pm |
  2. Krasi, Houston

I understand the meaning of better safe than sorry, but I don't understand why everyone goes into a frantic panic at the mention of the plant in Japan. If any radiation is released, it will impact the immediate surroundings, but not so much any of us here in the US.

March 18, 2011 at 10:48 pm |
  3. Janis

Thanks Dr. Gupta. Explaining the radiation and comparing it to everyday things that I can understand makes me feel alot better.

I think one of the worst things that could happen to anyone close to event would be a loss of peace of mind – wondering about what's in your future health. You can adjust and live with it in the back of your mind – especially hard if you're a parent with children.

March 18, 2011 at 10:48 pm |
  4. Merl,Ohio

In Chernobyl recently viewed a detection meter read 700 and a few feet away it read 7,000. This is how much the variation could be with all radiation readings. They are already seeing that in Japan.

March 18, 2011 at 10:48 pm |
  5. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

There are times when the decisive application of the 80% solution is much better than a slow, deliberate application of a 90% or 100% solution too late. Libya is in that position now. Lack of action over the last week has allowed Gadhafi to regain the initiative.

March 18, 2011 at 10:48 pm |
  6. Jo Ann, Ohio

@Vince, "I do not think it's fair to the USA to have entered into a third war which could have resulted in this case with the no fly zone".

So would you have the US sit this one out? Since Europe has the "most national interests" maybe they should not have waited around for the US to make up its mind.

March 18, 2011 at 10:47 pm |
  7. Nina

The UN took too long as they are used to the US taking the lead. Hopefully from now on, they now realize the US will no longer be the world police and soon act more expeditiously.

March 18, 2011 at 10:47 pm |
  8. Chris from Indiana

@Casey. Yes, better to wait for massive fires releasing heavy particles of a full meltdown-plus 5 days for the plum to cross before loading up. The fallout will be the worst as it concentrates up the food chain-especially cows milk, but Radioactive Iodine is short-lived so only 6 weeks before largest threat to childrens Thryoid is passed.

March 18, 2011 at 10:47 pm |
  9. Lori

It is amazing that someone was found alive. He must be so cold.

March 18, 2011 at 10:47 pm |
  10. Paula, Colorado

Seeing the condition of the nuclear plant, it is amazing anything would function. The workers have exceptional courage in doing their job. I hope and pray for their safety and success.

March 18, 2011 at 10:47 pm |
  11. Rose from Muscoy, Calif

Who many days can a body stay alive without food and water? And this person is alive!

March 18, 2011 at 10:46 pm |
  12. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

YES!!!!!!!!!! Finally, I am so happy 2 Americans are alive!!!!!!! Yay!!!!! Thanks Gary!!!! Love this find anyone to save!!! 🙂

March 18, 2011 at 10:46 pm |
  13. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Thank God for small miracles!

March 18, 2011 at 10:46 pm |
  14. Nicole Netherlands

I am wondering how hot/warm these spend rods are in Fahrenheit/ Celsius, anyone?
    How hot do these things get if they are not cooled?

March 18, 2011 at 10:46 pm |
  15. jim

I was surprised by the deadpan acceptance of (huge) hydrogen explosions during the emergency cooling of the reactors as though it were an expected consequence of the materials involved.
    Watching the images of the destroyed reactor buildings, if we expect to have to vent substantial volumes of hydrogen during emergencies, shouldn't we invest in a venting system that can safely vent gases without exposing the gases to ignition sources?

March 18, 2011 at 10:45 pm |
  16. Roberto Fioravanti

I though Japan had the most advanced technology on nuclear plants and environmental control. They have remote vehicles and robots for everything – bomb disassemble, piano player, violin players. Why they are not used in this real problem?

March 18, 2011 at 10:45 pm |
  17. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

I know 2 US Navy members aiding with generators to the Nuclear Power plant. How dangerous is this for our troops?

March 18, 2011 at 10:45 pm |
  18. Rose from Muscoy, Calif

...To the United States?

March 18, 2011 at 10:45 pm |
  19. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

@Vince, the UN ALWAYS takes too long to act; even in the rare instances it acts at all. Even though there is now a UN resolution, who is stepping up to enforce it?

March 18, 2011 at 10:45 pm |
  20. Chi

Wow Gary is amazing 🙂 How did he manage to find them?

March 18, 2011 at 10:45 pm |
  21. Marisa

I was wondering if there is any knowledge of what exactly happened to the 2 missing workers in the nuclear plants. Did they take off or did they drop over in the plant?

March 18, 2011 at 10:44 pm |
  22. Nikki

Casey, do they know, if there is worse radiation, that the sodium iodide they are taking won't work?

March 18, 2011 at 10:43 pm |
  23. Rose from Muscoy, Calif

Those who are coming from Japan, are they bringing and amount of radiation?

March 18, 2011 at 10:43 pm |
  24. Chi

Hmm Chernobyl is a scary word. God bless Japan.

March 18, 2011 at 10:43 pm |
  25. Nina

And how long does it take for the radiation from one CAT scan to be depleted?

March 18, 2011 at 10:42 pm |
  26. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

@Casey, I wouldn't call a minor rise in background radiation 'fallout'.

March 18, 2011 at 10:42 pm |
  27. Krasi, Houston

I, and many others, survived Chernobyl, and I was much closer to it at the time than I am to Japan now so I am trying not to panic over the situation in Japan. I am more worried about my friends right there because they will be the ones affected, if any.

March 18, 2011 at 10:42 pm |
  28. Chris from Indiana

@NIkki. This type of material won't mushroom cloud liek a bomb, and once the material starts melting, as long as the pressures are venting which is what they've been doing, it just gets hotter and hotter until it melts through the building and the earth until massive amounts of groundwater--drinkable aquifers–can cool them down. A horrendous situation

March 18, 2011 at 10:42 pm |
  29. Rose from Muscoy, Calif

Why put yourselves in that danger? Radiation is something you don't play with. A little or alot what is the limit?

March 18, 2011 at 10:42 pm |
  30. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

Great analogy Dr. Gupta~ I get it

March 18, 2011 at 10:42 pm |
  31. Vince

@Jo-Ann, Europe/UN should have taken the lead. I do not think it's fair to the USA to have entered into a third war which could have resulted in this case with the no fly zone; since their European counterparts have the most national interests from libya. To me that's just wisdom. Freedom does not come easy and sad to say; throughout history we see that some die as martyrs so that the masses can be freed. However,the UN took to long to act and too many have died in the mean time.

March 18, 2011 at 10:41 pm |
  32. Dave

I used to recruit for contract engineers for Nuclear power plants. It's scary to recall how many of the engineers resumes had false and misleading information, such as accreditations that would turn out to be false claims. Having contractors for this type of facility is simply ridiculous.

March 18, 2011 at 10:41 pm |
  33. joe

is the water leaking out of containment causng a spike in the groundwater radiation

March 18, 2011 at 10:41 pm |
  34. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

Fallout from the nuclear disaster has already hit the west coast (as of today). I have friends that have begun taking the iodine tablets. Frankly, I think they're a little alarmist.

March 18, 2011 at 10:40 pm |
  35. Janis

After reading alot of last nights blogs, I liked the idea of using small drones with cameras to assess the reactor situation. Good ideas from alot of the bloggers. Don't know if they are getting to anyone in Japan who would consider them, but good anyway.

March 18, 2011 at 10:40 pm |
  36. mike

Don't you have to consider that you might have something more than a transient failure of your power systems and anticipate the need for bringing in auxilary power from outside the site for outages lasting longer than the few hours of battery life you have onsite?

Given the vital importance of cooling and the necessity of electrical power to maintain cooling, when you design a system with backup generators and backup batteries for when both primary and secondary power is out, this would have seemed an obvious thought. Occurred to me the moment I heard they were running on batteries.

Additionally, for a serious emergency, wouldn't it be reasonable to ponder how you can bring in support for all the mandatory systems in the plant from outside sources to restore function to failed systems.

March 18, 2011 at 10:40 pm |
  37. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

kerrie
    i have a question, is there any seaz life on the ground in Japan? I mean in the Tsunami is there sea life in it?

Nope, Too late for sea life... All gone!

March 18, 2011 at 10:40 pm |
  38. Merl,Ohio

The Mark 1 style reactors that are in Japan do not have to be shut down to change out spent fuel rods.

March 18, 2011 at 10:40 pm |
  39. Rose from Muscoy, Calif

Hi, Anderson and staff, this is very scary I live in southern california.

March 18, 2011 at 10:40 pm |
  40. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

Surely an infrared camera can pick up the hot spots. Surely

March 18, 2011 at 10:39 pm |
  41. Krasi, Houston

Mike, formerly from Syracuse, The fact is that the UN and countries in Europe in general, have had to deal with Qaddafi's craziness before and there's more at stake for them anyway so if anyone should know how to react, it should be them. I am tired of the US being viewed as this overpowering judge who has to always make the decision, has to always make the decision right away, and the decision better be good.

March 18, 2011 at 10:39 pm |
  42. Marisa

Thank you Mr Alverez for the current input regarding the comparison of the plant to those at 3 Mile Island.

March 18, 2011 at 10:39 pm |
  43. theresia

Hearing news about Japan and Lybia at the same time makes wanna say Put your guns down kids,we have serious nuclear problem here,whoever win the war,can not win against the radiation.

March 18, 2011 at 10:38 pm |
  44. Mihoko Yamamoto

Hello, Anderson and everyone!

There are so many countries helping Japan.
    I'm overwhelmed to know that the world cares.
    I just want to say thank you for those who are helping and praying for Japan now. My family lives in Tokyo.

I appreciate CNN and your reporting from Japan

March 18, 2011 at 10:38 pm |
  45. john-patrick

Hello Anderson ,
    If,as known,1 microgramme Plutonium is enough to contaminate 100.000.0000 people ,can anybody tell me how much of it is said to be in reator 3 ???

March 18, 2011 at 10:38 pm |
  46. Merl,Ohio

Chernobyl was only one reactor that they buried and will be dangerous for thousands of years. Japan is four reactors and a lower level rating?

March 18, 2011 at 10:38 pm |
  47. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

@Nancy in OR, People crave good leadership. When there is none, it's obvious.

March 18, 2011 at 10:37 pm |
  48. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

I hope we learn a lesson about the dangers of nuclear power. But, we probably won't. If you build it, it will blow. We don't even know what the word conservation is. Too much greed is destroying human's habitat, thus man is endangered.

March 18, 2011 at 10:37 pm |
  49. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX
    WoW! Freaky video of the tsunami from the dash!

BettyAnn,
    I agree....That's so scary video I have see him, he drove on the road by ocean!!!!!! Yikes! Too late!

March 18, 2011 at 10:37 pm |
  50. Nikki

I don't think you can just "bury" a nuke plant that has overheated. An overheated reactor explodes like a nuke bomb.

March 18, 2011 at 10:37 pm |