March 15th, 2011
  1. Christina, Windber, pa

Seeing that debris field is heartbreaking. To think that people could be under all that is horrible; like being buried alive. I pray for all of them, those who are gone as well as those left behind. They not only have the grief over those loved ones they've lost, but many have lost everything else as well.

March 15, 2011 at 7:44 pm |
  2. Lisa Slate

As a Nashvillian that experienced a historic natural disaster in May 2010, my thoughts and prayers are with the people in Japan. Nashville is still at this late date recovering from our flooding, there is still work to be done. But the devastation in Japan seems unimagineable, even to someone who survived Nashville's floods. I know it will be a long, slow and painful road to recovery for those affected by the earthquake and tsunami. They have much work to be done, and I am encouraged to see the assistance offered not only by the U.S, but by numerous countries around the world. We felt so alone during our disaster, I am glad the people of Japan will not experience this terrible tragedy in isolation. Thank you for continuing to provide international coverage to the victims, as this will ensure continued assistance from the worldwide community. I am also encouraged to see that the people of Japan are handling this tragedy with moral strength and kindness towards each other , that looting and violence have no place in their strugge to survive. We learned in Nashville that total strangers are more than willing to provide assistance, that you can count on more than just your family and friends in your darkest hour.My prayers will continue to be with those affected by this terrible tragedy. we will continue to stand with you.

March 15, 2011 at 6:50 pm |
  3. Debbie

I was just wondering how does one go about cleaning up all that wood and such. Not piece by piece I hope. Do they burn it, or bulldoze it. What do they do with it all? I hav enever heard anyone talk about this in coverage like this diaster.

March 15, 2011 at 5:40 pm |
  4. Susan Brandt

I don’t see anyone in Japan (any organization or personnel) searching for and rescuing animals.
    I hate to think of all of the animals that were trapped and unable to flee the danger that faced them, those locked in houses, fenced areas, in factory farms etc. They have an instinct to survive just as people do and they have no magical powers that are going to make them less vulnerable to disaster.....remember not all animals can fly or run at high speeds to escape a threat. All life needs our help – human and animal.....I wish I could be there to help. Is anyone rescuing the animals? It is horrible to see helpless animals being ignored by reporters or photographers in the field. Can’t the reporters or photographers at least take the animal to a shelter where it will be cared for? Animal life deserves to be saved also.

March 15, 2011 at 5:39 pm |
  5. Eric Hoffman

In addition to focusing on radiation risk at the Japanese power plants, it would seem that someone should investigate and report on what has been in the smoke and steam coming from the explosions other than radioactive compounds. There may very well be a mixture of non-radioactive substances that would be toxic to inhale. We have learned from the world trade center experience that radioactivity is not the only worry. I haven't heard a single mention of non-radioactive risks and yet there is a discussion of spent fuel rods having disintegrated in the explosions.

March 15, 2011 at 3:06 pm |
  6. nora albayati

Anderson Cooper you are the best!, please be careful and TAKE CARE!!

March 15, 2011 at 3:02 pm |
  7. Alyne Delaney

This is simply heartbreaking ... but I must say thank you for this blog. I lived in this area for almost 5 years, and in Shichigahama itself for two of those years ... I have struggled to find any news of the town, so this has at least given me a picture ... if not yet news of my friends and family.

March 15, 2011 at 2:38 pm |
  8. Sheryl

Anderson is always awesome reporting the latest atrocities to us at home and I'm a great fan!
    Keep enlightening us, Anderson. Praying for your safety! 🙂

March 15, 2011 at 12:52 pm |
  9. simin ostovar

anderson cooper why don't you set a bank account for disaster relief ? I am not rich but with my money i trust you beside you are always present in disaster areas first .

March 15, 2011 at 12:00 pm |
  10. Isa Lawton

We should all learn from the Japanese people. The way they are handling themselves thru this terrible tragedy with such dignity. I have no doubt that they will overcome this disaster and thrive once more.

Isa

March 15, 2011 at 11:29 am |
  11. Joann

I have heard no mention of the selfless souls working in the Nuclear Power Plant containment. We need to hear more about them and their families, as they continue efforts to protect the citizens of their Prefecture. How do their families, and others feel about their continued diligence to protect them? They have to be in danger of exposure, how are they protecting themselves?

March 15, 2011 at 10:27 am |
  12. Angela

While aware of the public's need to remain informed of Japan's dire situation, I am also concerned about the safety of journalists and crew reporting in affected areas.

March 15, 2011 at 6:13 am |
  13. MT

I live about 20km far from Tokyo. Thank you for your coming and reporting the actual state of Japan. I did cry watching your report. It was the first fime for me after the earthquake happened. Thank you, indeed.

March 15, 2011 at 3:37 am |