March 15th, 2011

New Trouble at Nuclear Plant: Join the Live Chat

Anderson is reporting live from Japan tonight, where another fire has broken out at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant. We also have developments on the rescue efforts and what's being done to help the survivors. Plus, a live report from Libya where Gadhafi forces gain ground in their march east.

Want more details on what covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Vince

Let's all continue pray for the people of Japan in their dire time of need and safety.

March 15, 2011 at 10:54 pm |
  2. bob

Why not use a nuclear tipped ballistic missile to destroy the power plant in Japan?

March 15, 2011 at 10:54 pm |
  3. Nina

Merl,Ohio
    How did Chernobyl fix their problem by just filling with sand and concrete?

It was never fixed. It still leaks. No one can liver anywhere within many miles from that site

March 15, 2011 at 10:54 pm |
  4. Holly

Megan the reactors did not blow just the outside containment walls if all the reactors blow it would be the worst nuclear disaster of all time.

March 15, 2011 at 10:54 pm |
  5. Lori

I hope that these people get as much or more relief support that Haiti received.

March 15, 2011 at 10:54 pm |
  6. Jo Ann, Ohio

Even "minimum operations" have been suspended? That concerns me.

March 15, 2011 at 10:53 pm |
  7. Jordan G.

The reactors have not exploded. They had hydrogen explosions in the building AROUND the reactors. Totally separate.

John Callahan -> No. It would melt far before it got to the core, also we'd have no way to get it there in the first place.

March 15, 2011 at 10:53 pm |
  8. Nina

Yikes Anderson, that sounds like a meltdown

March 15, 2011 at 10:53 pm |
  9. Rose from Muscoy, Calif

Worker have to suspend of working? That's not good something is happening very bad.

March 15, 2011 at 10:53 pm |
  10. Gameri Nersissian

Japan needs to dump liquid nitrogen or Solid CO2 into the reactor waters in order to cool down the vessels in order to reduce evaporation/ Overheating which causes fired!!!

March 15, 2011 at 10:53 pm |
  11. Kimberly Lyon

they have 500,000 displaced people...it would be great to evacuate them but how? and where would they go? one has to have a permit to even travel on the highway!!! I think we should realize that this is definitely a fluid situation....growing worse and worse by each passing moment

March 15, 2011 at 10:53 pm |
  12. Shawn

Is there no type of remote computer control systems at the nuclear plant that the engineers can use from a safe distance?

March 15, 2011 at 10:53 pm |
  13. Nicole Netherlands

LOL just looked up the temperature before Anderson'shiver.. minus 1 in Celsius.

Do think it is an good thing for the plant...

@ Mike "Boron is very corrosive" thanks for the info, have to read up on everything regarding nuclear energy..

March 15, 2011 at 10:52 pm |
  14. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

The reason the need to cool the core even after shutdown is that the radioactive decay of fission products will produce heat equivalent to 7% of reactor power at the time of shutdown. After a week it's reduced to .2%. So every day that passes, reduces the chances of a meltdown as the core cools.

March 15, 2011 at 10:52 pm |
  15. Patrick

Clearly Sanjay is worried with this latest revelation (workers halting ops) and everyone there reporting should be considering their quickest way out. That being said, I hope Anderson stays on air for the next few hours. This is way bad. You can see it on everyones face who knows anything about this stuff. It certainly has me very freaked.

March 15, 2011 at 10:52 pm |
  16. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

@Megan~ They are probably going to blow anyway. They are not telling us the bottom line.

March 15, 2011 at 10:52 pm |
  17. Rose from Muscoy, Calif

I really don't think the Japanese govt. Want to scare their people by telling them the truth.

March 15, 2011 at 10:51 pm |
  18. Scott W.

Where do I sign up to volunteer to put fire engines in the nuclear plant? I want to go to Japan to stop this problem. I have 4 children, I can imagine the heartache the Japenese people are going through. This is ridicoulous, why are there no other people able to understand that this will effect our future? I want my family to live the best life they can. I want to do what I can to help in this situation. I have lived a good life,my children,along with anyone else who has children are affected by what may happen. I will gladly put my life out there for the welfare of children...

March 15, 2011 at 10:51 pm |
  19. john callahan

can someone can tell me if you can get dry ice into the rods.

March 15, 2011 at 10:51 pm |
  20. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Holly
    Won't the reactors completely blow if no one is there working?

Holly,
    It blew up already last weekend to late, that was not good news as well, No, That won't work at all, That will be dangerous place.

March 15, 2011 at 10:50 pm |
  21. lisal -canada

sometimes it is the things that we cannot see that are the most dangerous – so glad the team(s) at least have the radiation monitoring devices

March 15, 2011 at 10:50 pm |
  22. Wanda

Waiting holding my breath for confirmation that the 50 workers are still doing everything they possibly can to prevent an even worse disaster. If they are not, well that is just unthinkable. I pray for those 50 and their families. If they have been pulled out the 50 must have done everything they could and if that's the case they have been defeated. God help them please.

March 15, 2011 at 10:50 pm |
  23. Vince

@Yuki- our prayers are with you, your family and your people..

March 15, 2011 at 10:50 pm |
  24. Janey

I heard that the roof had blown off #4...Is this true...it would explain why they are removing their employees.

March 15, 2011 at 10:50 pm |
  25. Sharon Hastings

I just read elsewhere that Japan's Health Ministry had raised the level of radiation the 50 could be exposed to from 100 millis to 250 millis but that beyond that were it to exceed 250 they would not allow the workers to stay because of the serious health risks.

March 15, 2011 at 10:50 pm |
  26. Rose from Muscoy, Calif

Hi, Anderson and staff. Glad every one is safe. I believe that it's to dangerous to be even near the nuclear plant or around it.

March 15, 2011 at 10:50 pm |
  27. Holly

Marconi-I am allergic to the iodine in the tables so they would not help me !

March 15, 2011 at 10:50 pm |
  28. wayne

we are not that far from JAPAN, how long would it take the winds to send the radioactive clouds over the west coast.

March 15, 2011 at 10:49 pm |
  29. Starr, formerly known as vincent

@Janis – we will probably never know the truth of what is happening at the nuclear plant – maybe a few documents in the future.

If all workers have left the nuclear facility, it is unlikely that there will be any documents that will be able to be retrieve given the toxic nature of the problem.

I still can't believe that the plant has been abandoned!

March 15, 2011 at 10:49 pm |
  30. scott

Chernobyl had to have helicopters fly over to cover the mess. And that was only one reactor

March 15, 2011 at 10:49 pm |
  31. Janis

Can the US naval vessels help with evacuations since alot of the coastal citizens are cut off from getting out?

March 15, 2011 at 10:49 pm |
  32. Bill Colwell ( Dewey AZ)

Seeing the locale of the power plant, I am curious of how dangerous a meltdown could be to the world with it sitting on the ocean practically. Could this have the potential of poisoning the entire world's water supply?

March 15, 2011 at 10:49 pm |
  33. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

I was wondering what happened to the comercial cruise ships in the port?

March 15, 2011 at 10:48 pm |
  34. Anne Frazer

My husband works at a nuke plant. I cannot imagine how horrific this must be for the families of those 50 employees.

March 15, 2011 at 10:48 pm |
  35. Nancy in Oregon

Yuki, there is huge, huge concern and empathy.

March 15, 2011 at 10:48 pm |
  36. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

Andy, with the plants shut down, the decay heat gradually dissipates. How long it takes depends on the power level it was at before it shut down. It will be weeks before it is fully cooled down.

March 15, 2011 at 10:48 pm |
  37. Merl,Ohio

@Yuki, I am highly honored to stand beside all of our friends in Japan at their time of need. And I think I speak for all.

March 15, 2011 at 10:48 pm |
  38. Lori

It is surely frightening to think that we have been misinformed about the level of danger from the damaged nuclear reactors.

March 15, 2011 at 10:47 pm |
  39. Nancy in Oregon

I've been watching but hadn't logged on. Not sure what to make of the latest report that the workers are leaving...it's worrisome to say the least.

March 15, 2011 at 10:47 pm |
  40. Tracy Brown - Canada

CBC is confirming the report that the workers have been evacuated because it's too dangerous.

March 15, 2011 at 10:47 pm |
  41. Holly

How many people can we fit on our Navy Aircraft carriers and ships that have gone there? Why don't they start the mass exit? When will it be too late?

March 15, 2011 at 10:46 pm |
  42. Tim

been following your reporting and friend of Martin. Was in the Navy and if what I am watching and no expert but as a last resort now in Japan they should start dumping cement over the area and or fill and not stop till they have covered the plants. This is their last resort

March 15, 2011 at 10:46 pm |
  43. Marconi

@Holly, Yeah probably not a bad idea to have potassium iodide tablets right now and stay on the safe side.

March 15, 2011 at 10:46 pm |
  44. Kimberly Lyon

I have a 3 mo old nephew in tokyo...can they safely take medication?

March 15, 2011 at 10:45 pm |
  45. Eric

It took four days for the ash from Mount St. Helen to travel from the west coast to the east coast. How long would it take for a radioactive clouds to travel from Japan to other areas around the Pacific rim?

March 15, 2011 at 10:45 pm |
  46. Merl,Ohio

How did Chernobyl fix their problem by just filling with sand and concrete?

March 15, 2011 at 10:45 pm |
  47. Andy

What does a successful scenario sound like? For example if they can keep pouring sea water on the reactors, how long do they need to do this before the situation could be considered stable?

March 15, 2011 at 10:45 pm |
  48. Yuki

We barely stand right now, but I know that
    we will stand even stronger in years.
    I really want everybody to know that we hear your voice from all over the world,and it means a lot for us. The world is one. Thank you everybody!!!

March 15, 2011 at 10:44 pm |
  49. michael beach

so haveing been a nuclear firefighter I can tell you that things are not well in japan and this is going to be the worst nuclear disater in the world i belive they tapco has been lying from the start

March 15, 2011 at 10:44 pm |
  50. Ken Erd

The thought occurred to me that the tanker planes which are used to fight forest fires could be used to carry sea water and dump it over those reactors for hours at a time both to cool the reactors and clear some of the radiation from the air. Perhaps it is a stupid idea but at a time like this I think all ideas should be submitted and let the experts decide how stupid the concept might be.

Ken