March 15th, 2011

New Trouble at Nuclear Plant: Join the Live Chat

Anderson is reporting live from Japan tonight, where another fire has broken out at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant. We also have developments on the rescue efforts and what's being done to help the survivors. Plus, a live report from Libya where Gadhafi forces gain ground in their march east.

Want more details on what covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Sue

Shouldn't we independently send in a tiny drone that could hover and safely send back info about radioisotopes and levels? Sounds like something that could be hacked together quickly.

March 15, 2011 at 10:44 pm |
  2. George

If the nuclear issue is not dealt with before the wind changes the Japanese economy will fail. Perhaps political appointments aren't such a good idea when it comes to getting the best and most competent people in the right place.

March 15, 2011 at 10:44 pm |
  3. Jim Marks

Hey Anderson! From the shots we do see at the plant, it appears they didn't receive anywhere near the size wave and destruction of areas south. I don't see the mud and structural damage from the satellite pics, so you have to wonder what kind of wave height did they really get at the plant? Those nuke plants have thousands of security cameras, so please press for some footage to prove their explanations on the loss of generators and other back up systems.

Stay safe and keep up the great work!

March 15, 2011 at 10:44 pm |
  4. Janis

I bet we'll never get to know all the details that Mr. Walsh is saying would be nice to know.
    Maybe in a few documentaries in the future.

For now, I say, get the children as far away from there as possible. 100 miles or more.

March 15, 2011 at 10:43 pm |
  5. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

I have to agree that the information flow from the Japanese is very poor. The again it was the same at TMI. The first priority is fight the casualty, not hold press conferences.

March 15, 2011 at 10:43 pm |
  6. Sharon Hastings

Wow. Don't know what to think about the workers leaving. Maybe the workers said they'd had enough and were being exposed to lethal doses now?? Does this mean they are giving up?

March 15, 2011 at 10:42 pm |
  7. Starr, formerly known as vincent

@JoAnn re: bringing in the "big boys"

I totally agree with you! Given the info from Drew about this company's past record, they are obviously Not sufficient in this situation!

I cannot believe that the nuclear plants are now abandoned!
    Now there is no one at the wheel – this cannot be possible.

March 15, 2011 at 10:42 pm |
  8. Eric Johnston

Why has no one discussed the possibility of a China Syndrome? If these over heat, they could become so hot that they burn through the floor and sink until they hit ground water causing geysers and more dangerous steam clouds?

March 15, 2011 at 10:42 pm |
  9. Holly

Won't the reactors completely blow if no one is there working?

March 15, 2011 at 10:42 pm |
  10. Vince

This is a crisis compounded multiple times. What is the situation of the people indoors who are apparently under house arrest "it seem" for safey of not getting exposed to the radiation... some may not have sufficient food supplies and cannot get out to get it...

March 15, 2011 at 10:41 pm |
  11. Peter Chiavetta

If they are pulling the last of the crews from the nukes, they are probably dyeing.

March 15, 2011 at 10:40 pm |
  12. Paula, Colorado

Anderson, I'd leave Japan if the workers are missing–it seems more a catastrophe waiting to happen rather than a severe health risk.

March 15, 2011 at 10:40 pm |
  13. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

@Meri, the fact that they are injecting boron means that they have written off the plants. Boron is very corrosive, and would in itself make the reactors unusable again. The bad news is that while it prevents the nuclear reaction from occurring, it does nothing to cool the reactor from the decay heat after it's shutdown. Only keeping water flowing and time will do that. However each day that passes, makes the situation better.

March 15, 2011 at 10:40 pm |
  14. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I am glad 50 workers left right away from Nuclear Plant, that's true.... I am hoping they will take precaution, if they spread themselves..... My heart goes out to them......

March 15, 2011 at 10:39 pm |
  15. David

On the subject of IAEA taking control of the situation – I disagree. The folks in the plant KNOW the plant better than folks who aren't there every day. The last thing we need is outside folks having to spend time coming up to speed on the nitty details of everything that is going on in a plant in which they've not spent significant amounts of time.

March 15, 2011 at 10:39 pm |
  16. Grace

I agree with Ken that these 50 workers ARE the heroes for 2011 regardless if they have now left the site or not.

March 15, 2011 at 10:39 pm |
  17. Robin

Is there some way to use robots to do tasks in areas where radiation is a concern?

March 15, 2011 at 10:39 pm |
  18. Barney

I can't believe what I'm hearing!!! 50 workers are left to handle a disaster of this magnitude? This is CRAZY!!!!! Who's in charge?!?!?! Where's the IAEG?!?!?! Someone do something!!!!!!!!!!!

March 15, 2011 at 10:37 pm |
  19. Lorraine

Thank you Jim Walsh, for saying want a lot of people are feeling. The IAEA needs to step in now!!

March 15, 2011 at 10:37 pm |
  20. Jo Ann, Ohio

@Mike, formerly from Syracuse, "I'd rather live next to a nuke plant than a coal one".

Every fuel source has its drawbacks, but a nuclear reactor can cause a lot of destruction over a large area in a short period of time and can render the land useless.

March 15, 2011 at 10:37 pm |
  21. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

@Jo Ann......I agree. I am surprised about the lag time in dealing with the nuclear plant issue and I would of expected that be have been dealt with the very first day, including asking other world organizations and/or countries for assistance.

March 15, 2011 at 10:37 pm |
  22. Nick

Executives in Japan lie regularly, especially about problems, it is cultural.......

The nuclear plant suspending operations is probably catastrophic in terms of what is to come. N

March 15, 2011 at 10:36 pm |
  23. ludwig

Hi

are there official figures as to how temperature within the plant is changing since Saturday

ty

March 15, 2011 at 10:36 pm |
  24. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

When we learn that we can not take risks with the planet and our environment?

March 15, 2011 at 10:36 pm |
  25. Nina

All 'for profit' companies have a tendency to not be honest, just like BP

March 15, 2011 at 10:36 pm |
  26. Merl,Ohio

@ Mike formerly from Syracuse, I know they've been using boron and have used it before in reactor problems. Why don't they use it in full strength , would this not disable the reactors. Or is there a fear of 12 billion dollars loss. Do not let the boron reach the sea. Contain the boron.

March 15, 2011 at 10:34 pm |
  27. Lori

This trouble with the reactors sounds like it has been on the horizon for a while.

March 15, 2011 at 10:34 pm |
  28. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

BettyAnn,
    Chad paints a gim pic

I agree, That is so sad for me to heard. 🙁

March 15, 2011 at 10:34 pm |
  29. Jo Ann, Ohio

They should have brought the "big boys" in long ago!

March 15, 2011 at 10:34 pm |
  30. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

@Jo Ann, I'd rather live next to a nuke plant than a coal one.

March 15, 2011 at 10:34 pm |
  31. Starr, formerly known as vincent

@Yuki, thank you for your response.

I suspect you are still in shock and that is why you don't know how to feel.
    Also, the uncertainty of your situation could affect your feeling secure – which also may contribute to not knowing how to feel.

Please know that many Americans care about Japan the the Janpanese people. I suspect many of us are sending money through various NGOs to help you. I know i have, as my family & friends have contruted money through IRC and other organizations.

My prayers to you, your family & friends and All of the Japanese people.

March 15, 2011 at 10:34 pm |
  32. Vince

At a time when there is a need for food for the survivors, the nuclear plants situation creates a certain level of concern with food supplies which are exposed to the elements...

March 15, 2011 at 10:33 pm |
  33. Shawn Louisville Ky

Great Blog tonight everyone. Have to call it an early night. will keep watching anderson and sanjay. have a good evening everyone and please pray for the people of Lybia and Japan and for those 50 brave people in the plant.

March 15, 2011 at 10:33 pm |
  34. Toni,Nuclear Tech

At the rate this is going,this will be worse than Chernobyl!

March 15, 2011 at 10:33 pm |
  35. Paula Mcgee

What is going to happen next!

March 15, 2011 at 10:32 pm |
  36. Nic Jacks

Our thoughts and prayers are with the people of Japan and the bravery of you and your staff.

You continue to bring us the most informative, straight forward reporting.

The situation is rapidly evolving into the worse case scenerio.

March 15, 2011 at 10:32 pm |
  37. Nina

@ Mert, Ohio
    Does boron cancel out the nuclear reaction in a reactor?

Thank you for the information. I just looked it up. "boron is used in nuclear reactors to control the rate of fission of uranium and plutonium."

March 15, 2011 at 10:32 pm |
  38. Holly

Paul (even though I am allergic to iodine) the iodine tables do not prevent the body from absorbing only your thyroid (if it is full or regular iodine it makes it not want to take in the radioactive iodine-you still get the rest of the problems with a good thyroid)

March 15, 2011 at 10:31 pm |
  39. ron from pa

The Japanese people have been through so much already and my thoughts and heart go out to them!

We as human beings are very fallible creatures. Designing and building nuclear plants in an area that is vulnerable to earthquakes and tsunamis was a very serious design flaw and miscalculation.

This is just one of many types of such mistakes that we humans are capable of, which makes a technology like that involved in nuclear power plants–which is so unforgiving of such mistakes–such an unwise and infeasible energy alternative.

March 15, 2011 at 10:30 pm |
  40. Vince

I am thinking even with the 50 workers- working round the clock, these workers can get exhausted- hope there is some contingency plan in place even with having the 50 workers.

March 15, 2011 at 10:30 pm |
  41. Merl,Ohio

I heard yesterday that the radiation, if any, would take 6 days to reach west coast of America.

March 15, 2011 at 10:30 pm |
  42. Bonnie Terpstra

Good Evening. I have a daughter still in Japan. I was told the wind usually does not flow from North to the south. I realize it would take a lot of radiation and wind gusts to make it to the US. but what about Tokyo. My daughters university told them to wear long sleeves and wear masks and to limit outside time. Are you in Tokyo, Anderson? I tell friends in U.S. that Tokyo is safe. Is this true? I worry for my daughter over there.

March 15, 2011 at 10:29 pm |
  43. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

Merl, boron is called a 'poison'. It moderates the nuclear reaction. By injecting it, it should prevent the reactor from going critical again.

March 15, 2011 at 10:29 pm |
  44. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

Chad paints a gim pic 🙁

March 15, 2011 at 10:29 pm |
  45. Jacqueline Lapham

Why are we asking what will happen if the 50 workers leave? I have no doubt that they will all perish on the job considering the Japanese commitment to honor and community. The question is will anyone be allowed enter the site to take their place and what will happen to the reactors when they are completely abandoned. The people of Japan must be heartbroken and I have no doubt that there are many willing to sacrifice their lives but what can an untrained individual do really.

March 15, 2011 at 10:29 pm |
  46. Paul

AC,
    After exposure,iodine tablets are useless.They must be taken prior to exposure which blocks the absorbtion by the body.

March 15, 2011 at 10:29 pm |
  47. Nina

Are we speaking of Radiation or "Radioactive Materials"??? There is a Big difference

March 15, 2011 at 10:28 pm |
  48. Jo Ann, Ohio

I wondered about the nuclear power plants in my area. From what I understand, the two plants in Ohio have underground backup fuel tanks, which run the water pumps in case of a power outage and are sealed in a vault, whereas Japan's backup tanks were above ground and washed away during the tsunami.

March 15, 2011 at 10:28 pm |
  49. Sue

Can someone please explain how the sea water is being pumped up if there's no electricity? Can they get enough water to all the places that need it?

March 15, 2011 at 10:28 pm |
  50. Carrie

Hi Anderson,
    Watching your show this evening. I am sure most of the world is glued to this situation!! I have a question... can these nuclear reactors be frozen in someway? is there not a gas that can be applied to the fuel rods to freeze them? I know from a very long time ago chemistry class that there is some gas that will freeze on contact. Just a question and has probably already been considered. Best of luck to you and your staff in this horrible situation. You are all very brave!

March 15, 2011 at 10:28 pm |