March 11th, 2011

Japan Awakes to Devastation: Join the Live Chat

Tonight, breaking news from Northeastern Japan as the full extent of the devastation from a massive earthquake and tsunami becomes clear. Plus, an update from our correspondents on the ground in Libya.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Starr, formerly known as vincent

Janis & Nancy OR re: being President.

I agree, i could not take on the job at this point.
    Pres. Obama has an overwhelming amount on his plate.
    God bless that he has a wonderful family for support.
    Have a good weekend.
    Starr

March 11, 2011 at 11:59 pm |
  2. Dianna

Dear Mr.Cooper This thought came to mind the millions of dead fish in the LA marina could that have been an early sign of the pacific's earthquake that has affected Japan and parts of the U.S. western coast on this past day or so?

March 11, 2011 at 11:58 pm |
  3. Miranda

Any news about survivors in Kesennuma in Miyagi Prefecture?

March 11, 2011 at 11:56 pm |
  4. Janis

Good night everyone. AC360 has the best blog on the internet for public opinion. Stay safe, Anderson and crew in Japan.

March 11, 2011 at 11:56 pm |
  5. Starr, formerly known as vincent

@Mr. HIROMI@Tokyo

Please know that me, my family & my friends will continue our prayers through the weekend and beyond.
    I live in a very small village of 250 people
    I will be encouraging each and everyone to donate money to the Red Crosee for Japan.
    God bless you and all in Japan.

March 11, 2011 at 11:55 pm |
  6. mike

My family would like to extend our heart and prayers out to Japan. I left Misawa AB in october of last year, and still have friends there. My question is does anyone know i fthe big Budah north of sendi was harmed?

March 11, 2011 at 11:55 pm |
  7. Shirley Heppner

Stay as safe as you can, people of Japan. My thoughts and heartfelt best wishes go out to you.

March 11, 2011 at 11:55 pm |
  8. Karin Urban from Berlin/Germany

Good night everyone.
    I am hesitant wishing you a great weekend because so many people all over the world, in Libya and Japan and elsewhere won't have it.

March 11, 2011 at 11:52 pm |
  9. Paula, Colorado

Please stay safe as you head to Japan, Anderson!

March 11, 2011 at 11:52 pm |
  10. Sanchez Clark

I wonder if the event with the fish washing up on the west coast and the earthquake are somehow connected

March 11, 2011 at 11:51 pm |
  11. Sandro

Poor people in such a state of confusion maybe this will be a start to world peace if all countrys come together Japan needs us. 🙂

March 11, 2011 at 11:48 pm |
  12. Janis

@Nancy in Oregon. Hi Nancy. I agree with you. I could never be President of the US. I just don't have the true grit, to use an old western phrase we both know.

March 11, 2011 at 11:48 pm |
  13. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Good night Anderson, Megan, Isha, David G, Martina, Nicole, Kim, Emily, Gloria, Mike, Casey, Gabriela, Cessy, Paula, Isabel, David-Indiana, JoAnn, Monica, Kathy, Jane, Gayle, Renee, Caroline, Lori, BettyAnn, Starr, Heather, Sharon, Karin, Dulcie, Sree, Michael, Karen, Miranda, Nancy, Sue, Kenya, Libby, Nina, Samantha, Chi, Karyn, Indiana, Jana, others and my friend Twitter/Facebook Bloggers!!!!
    See you on Monday night, Have a great night & Sleep tight everyone!!! Have a great weekend! Thanks for coming in to join us tonight!

Isha,
    Thanks for fill-in for Anderson, Good job for host guest!!!!! Cheers!

March 11, 2011 at 11:47 pm |
  14. jackie florida

can anyone tell me whats going on in Iwakuni-shi, Yamaguchi, Japan please that where my bobby is stationed

March 11, 2011 at 11:47 pm |
  15. Shirley Heppner

Thank you Isha, for reminding us you're not forgetting about Libya.

As for the CNN staff, I don't think there's any one of them that doesn't earn their salary. Brave people, all of them, crews included. Always such stellar coverage and I always hope they stay safe.

March 11, 2011 at 11:46 pm |
  16. Starr, formerly known as vincent

@Emily – thank you for your thoughts. I agree, i am comforted by the fact that Anderson is Not in Lybia!
    God bless – have a good weekend.
    Starr

March 11, 2011 at 11:45 pm |
  17. Lori

Good night Isha! Good night everyone. Have a nice weekend.

March 11, 2011 at 11:45 pm |
  18. Vince

To all the people of Japan.

Much strength and comfort to you during this time of devastation and in the coming days as you try to reach and find loved ones who may still not be accounted for...

March 11, 2011 at 11:45 pm |
  19. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Anderson,
    Have a good trip to Japan......... Please give me update from Japan......... I hope you stay way from everywhere collasped buildings or derbis.

March 11, 2011 at 11:44 pm |
  20. Janis

@Sharon Hastings re:arming the freedom fighters. I don't know. I know they need to be trained. Ironic, they believed so much in a peaceful protest and had to take up arms without knowing how to use them. A real loss of innocence to learn how to shoot so they can protect themselves.

March 11, 2011 at 11:43 pm |
  21. Phyllis Smith

Prayers for the people of Japan. So sad, I'm wondering about the animals.

March 11, 2011 at 11:43 pm |
  22. Linda

Thanks to CNN for keeping us updated on breaking news. I have tuned in for years. My heart goes out to the citizens of Japan. I have experienced a 6.0 in California. I can only imagine what their going through. I must say a prayer for Japan....May God be with you.

March 11, 2011 at 11:42 pm |
  23. Emily

Good night Anderson, Isha, 360°Team, Jo Ann, Mike, Megan, Nicole, Nancy, Gloria, Starr, Nina, Bloggers & Moderator(s).

You're doing a great job, Isha! 😛
    (filling in for Anderson.)
    Great two hour show & blog tonight.
    Have a wonderful weekend, everyone

March 11, 2011 at 11:41 pm |
  24. HIROMI@TOKYO

@Starr, formerly known as vincent

Last night I take out all my stuffs prepared for Earthquake.
    LED light, casett gas grill, radio with generater for cell phone, batteries,
    candle with case which can boil a water,

And cooked ONIGIRI, Japanese traditional lunch for go, made some tea with suger.

Beside preparing the ordinary things still after shock comes.
    Right now Tokyo felt small aftershock.
    I could not sleep, and still not.

Thank you for your kind words.
    It helps me and my people.

Thank you so much.

March 11, 2011 at 11:39 pm |
  25. Steve

My prayers go out to those poor people.

March 11, 2011 at 11:39 pm |
  26. caroll

Can they get footage or tell us about further down the coast south? I have family in Asahi and Sosa-shi along the coast. PLEASE ...WE CANNOT REACH THEM!!

March 11, 2011 at 11:38 pm |
  27. Rachelle

interesting question Adam, would love to know the answer to that

March 11, 2011 at 11:37 pm |
  28. Starr, formerly known as vincent

I'm going to say good night. I will still monitor the blog and watch CNN.

Thank you Anderson & Team 360 for your continued EXcellent reporting. Your show is often the Only news show i get to see in a day.

Good night fellow writers. The blog has been amazing tonight (& every night)!

I wish All a safe and peaceful weekend.

I will continue my prayers for Japan & Lybia as well. I have lit candles for both disasters. The light of the candles reminds me to pray several times a day.

Isha, you are doing a wonderful job filling in for Anderson. God Bless.

And, Thank you CNN for having the reporters that you do, your consistent dedication to getting the Truth out to the viewers!

March 11, 2011 at 11:37 pm |
  29. Ares

I know this gets said a lot, but I think Japan is going to change the world for a long time to come.

March 11, 2011 at 11:37 pm |
  30. Heather

Chris in Austin: I agree! There should be a story done on this. If I recall, all these earthquakes that are happening are in countries that are part of the ring of fire. I may be wrong. But I do believe they are part of it. I am curious to know IF they do all relate. If so, Alaska and Washington state are part of it.

March 11, 2011 at 11:34 pm |
  31. Vince

Some of these forces of nature we have never seen in our lifetime or dream possible.

March 11, 2011 at 11:34 pm |
  32. Linda

Thanks to CNN news I have been able to get a first hand report of all breaking news for years. Keep it coming! My heart goes out to Japan. I have experienced a 6.0 magnitude in California. One can only imagine what this has done to Japan.

March 11, 2011 at 11:34 pm |
  33. Lori

I heard that there was concern that the steam from the plants was radioactive

March 11, 2011 at 11:33 pm |
  34. Karl

Anderson, has anyone looked into the relationship of all of the lava spewing in Hawaii, does it not make sense that the void the lava creates has to be filled in filling the void, the the earthquake. I have been following quakes for some time and I thoght last week that a big one was coming.

March 11, 2011 at 11:33 pm |
  35. Karoline, Los Angeles

I think many people in CA are worrying if our part of the Pacific tectonic plate might be next.

March 11, 2011 at 11:33 pm |
  36. Lisa Bates

I was very impatient with the US Administration over what I perceived as reluctance to move over Libya. But like Janis, I carefully listened to the president's press conference this morning, and came away satisfied. I do beleive that we are moving as quickly as we can. We are a big ship that does not turn on a dime. You have to bring her around slowly. I understand now that President Obama has actually been moving quite quickly for this sort of thing. I pray that it does not take much longer, however, for us to come to the direct aid of the Libyan freedom fighters. Thank-you, Anderson, for your continued commitment to these people you have made me care so much about.

March 11, 2011 at 11:33 pm |
  37. Emily

@Chris Austin TX,

A story about that 'Ring of Fire' area you mentioned would be really interesting, I think.

March 11, 2011 at 11:33 pm |
  38. HIROMI@TOKYO

@jackie

You did not descrive which marine base he is in, so that I have to guess.

IF he is in MISAWA or YOKOSUKA,
    the first TUNAMI hit within One our.
    Sasebo and OKINAWA is too far to have a terrible damege.
    Other naval air base do not have any chance to have TUNAMI a little bit far from sea shore.

I guess that he is in emargency sift and have to hung up the phone.

As i Wrote, US Navy tried to help our people, so suddenly he was became on the duty.

Do not warry, I have been seeing TV news almost a day, there is no news of Naval base damaged.

March 11, 2011 at 11:32 pm |
  39. Dennis

What I want to know (and I realize this is pretty irrelevant considering what's going on) but why are a lot of people in Japan wearing surgical masks? Is the bird flu still going on there? Or SARS? Very strange.

March 11, 2011 at 11:32 pm |
  40. Emy

sleep wont come easily for the japanese.

March 11, 2011 at 11:31 pm |
  41. Adam

Question: If tsunamis travel at up to 500 mph underwater, what happens if the Navy has/had a submarine in the Pacific? are those things tsunami-proof?

March 11, 2011 at 11:31 pm |
  42. Emily

@Starr,
    "i am mnost concerned for Anderson, Gary & Dr. Gupta and their teams."

I'd be much more concerned if they were going to Libya! I think that it's good that they are going to Japan. It would be interesting to see what kind of damage this has done. Japan is a very advanced nation. I think that they will be safe when they get there. It's getting there...I couldn't believe that video...I think the airport was nearly all underwater.

March 11, 2011 at 11:30 pm |
  43. Chris Austin TX

Please do a story on how the quakes in Chili, New Zealand and Japan are inter related & what will be next Alaska, US west coast or South America.

March 11, 2011 at 11:29 pm |