March 7th, 2011

Battle For Libya Intensifies: Join the Live Chat

Tonight the war in Libya is intensifying, as the United States considers military action in Libya. Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi continues to claim victories that do not yet exist. We're Keeping Them Honest.  Plus, new disturbing images from Egypt, alleging proof of torture during Hosni Mubarak's regime.

Want more details on what covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. lisal -canada

it is interesting to hear the people of libya specifically state what they want and need, and yet the outside world is still doing what they think is best for the libyans. perhaps they actually do know what they need to win, but everyone has decided they "need" something else. that is not really fair for the libyans either.

March 7, 2011 at 10:37 pm |
  2. Emily

@Starr,
    "Who is going to help these people?"
    It should be interesting to hear what happens on Thursday. I don't know who is going to help the Libyan people. It seems like they've been sending mixed messages since the start. I can understand their fear of other countries having military conflict in their country due to their history.

March 7, 2011 at 10:37 pm |
  3. Hilary Stookey

If this is correct, then this is a weak UN resolution too: "By merely placing an arms embargo on Libya, without establishing a means of holding arms purveyors who violate the ban accountable for their actions, the UN has allowed the international community and arms manufacturers to escape accountability and complicity for any trade occurring with the Libyan government." a quote from Al Jazeera [Sami Hermez is a visiting fellow at the Centre for Lebanese Studies at St. Antony’s College, Oxford University.]

March 7, 2011 at 10:37 pm |
  4. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I agree with our president Obama, we are standing with Libya right now.

March 7, 2011 at 10:36 pm |
  5. Jabal

Anderson can you try to get to Saif al-Islam Gadaffi on your show and question him about the graphic and tragic videos/phone calls that we are all now witnessing/hearing on an hourly basis. Especially based on what President Obama said today about holding the people around the "Leader" (who purportedly holds no government position) accountable, it is now or never for Mr. Saif Gadaffi.

March 7, 2011 at 10:36 pm |
  6. Steve Robillard

Anderson. With all the discussion about a no-fly zone and who would implement it, I keep wondering about all the aircraft that the rebels inherited in the east of Libya. According to a BBC report some have not flown for years, but there must be some trained aircraft mechanics and ground crew familiar with some of these aircraft (mostly Russian jets)to get a few airborne. They might not need many as the Gadhafi air force does not appear to be too numerous either. This way, NATO need only assist with air traffic control with AWACS as opposed to being directly involved. Also, what is the status of those two Mirage jet fighters that defected to Malta? Can the new rebel council not get those two jets and their pilots to fight for them. At least it is known that those aircraft are airworthy.

March 7, 2011 at 10:35 pm |
  7. Catherine Berryhill of Easley S.C.

Anderson is correct it is heart breaking. And the world does nothing! Gadhafi will fall.

March 7, 2011 at 10:35 pm |
  8. Janis

All this talking, meeting, etc. sounds like what we used to call 'analysis paralysis'.

People's lives are at stake. You have already said genocide – why the observation?? This is getting bogged down in too many complications at the 'table talk' level.

March 7, 2011 at 10:34 pm |
  9. Karen, MN

Sure seems like a gross violation to me.

March 7, 2011 at 10:34 pm |
  10. Starr, formerly known as vincent

Why can no one air drop food, water, medical supplies, etc. in Lybia and to Tunisia/Egypt.

"goss violation of Human Rights", did i hear that right?

What we've witnessed is No Enough in terms of "gross violations of human rights"!

March 7, 2011 at 10:34 pm |
  11. Ibrahim Serter

Dear Anderson,
    we as muslims are thanking you..you became our hero...you conquer hearts and minds in muslim world...It seems to me that you are the only one who fights Gadhafi and his evil army..thanks //God bless

March 7, 2011 at 10:34 pm |
  12. Nalini

While I think Fouad Ajami is great and he's done an excellent job at keeping us informed, I do not think I have heard him mention the ramifications of a Nato imposed No-Fly Zone, which would mean an attack on the Army, which brings more atrocities.Of course these are heinous enough,but look at Somalia, Iraq, Afghanistan.
    The Mideast leaders need to handle their stories.

March 7, 2011 at 10:34 pm |
  13. Belinda Mohamed, Washiington D.C

Anderson, my name is Belinda Mohamed. I am an author from Mauritania. I know very well Khadaffi as I have stayed with him in Libya. I know also Benghazi as I have prayed there with Ghadaffi for nthe prayer of the Maouloud Last year, I even called his people five days ago and they asked me to explain to the world that they are right to act against what they call as rebels, but I want to talk about Libya and Ghadaffi and his lifestyle. I completely disagree with what he is doing to the people of Libya. I know some things unknown about Al ghadaffi that are very very negative and that people that support him (not the close entourage) does not know. I am leaving the usa in three to four days to come back to my country. I would like you to contact me. Thank you.

March 7, 2011 at 10:33 pm |
  14. Cessy - Chicago

i hope they come up with a final decision soon on how to stop this chaos in Libya

March 7, 2011 at 10:33 pm |
  15. Krasi

We should help the people with basic supplies to keep them going, not with bombs that will lead to destruction for all Libyans, delusional or not.

March 7, 2011 at 10:31 pm |
  16. art hayward

Egypt knows about the fight for freedom can they have their airforce help the rebels

March 7, 2011 at 10:31 pm |
  17. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Bloggers,
    I agree all of you, People must get out of Libya, it is really scared of their regime who shoot people, that is very dangerous!!!!!!

March 7, 2011 at 10:31 pm |
  18. Allen F Mackenzie

Thank You Anderson for your excelent reporting and thank you Fouad Adjami for your insightful and bold comments.

March 7, 2011 at 10:30 pm |
  19. Charles : Mesa, Az

America shouldn't be the only country that hopefully will supply the Rebels or opposition with the arms they need to win this fight against qaddafi, prince of the desert. After all, Russias Sergi V. Chemezov, director of the Russian company "Rostekhnologia" has been selling Qaddafi weapons for sometime. So has the European defense contractor "BAE";"Saab of Sweden, a branch of Saab, The italians "Beretta". Oh, and the American company "Raytheon". In my opinion they should donate it to them, or at least allow them to pay for it after they win. I know we're talking billions of dollars, but once they get control of the oil fields, I'm sure they'll be able to pay the debt back.

March 7, 2011 at 10:30 pm |
  20. Sharon Hastings

Good evening everyone. Running late tonight. I am so glad to see Anderson keeping up with Libya.

@Starr and others: I hope also that the Arab League will be involved as well as multinational support and a U.N. resolution. Unless we have these I don't see how we can take an active role, certainly not act on our own. Even then, do we want to be involved in another war?? because a No Fly Zone is not accomplished by a memo. It's accomplished by bombing, bombing, and more bombing. It's war. Collateral damage and all. It would also require ground support.

March 7, 2011 at 10:30 pm |
  21. Emily

@Janis,
    Russia doesn't want to do anything, and that's where Libya gets 98% of it's military weapons from. I'm not sure about the rest of the area, however, they seem to be a country that should be involved first and they've said no.

March 7, 2011 at 10:30 pm |
  22. fathi

I believe it is in the best interest of the US to support the Libyan people–not by troops but by hardware. It is the best investment of goodwill towards in enabling the (Libyan) youth for democracy!

March 7, 2011 at 10:30 pm |
  23. Aliou, Jacksonville, FL

@Nissrine: I am heart broken that the drum of war is beating on another arab blood is being shed with the support and cheering of the West, with the help of arabs/africans.

March 7, 2011 at 10:29 pm |
  24. Krasi

A military intervention will cause more damage than good and the people of Lybia will only learn that they have to wait on someone else to free them.

The journey to freedom will be long, but at least the first step has been taken. These people will never go back to what it was. Never. And whether the rest of the world intervenes or not, the Lybians will eventually achieve what they are fighting for currently. That certainly won't solve all problems, but it will be a beginning.

March 7, 2011 at 10:29 pm |
  25. Paula, Colorado

I hope the US will be more decisive in helping the Libyan people.

March 7, 2011 at 10:29 pm |
  26. Nina

This is not just about Libya, Egypt, Yemen, et.al. There seems to be a demand by the people, for the people to remove all tyranny and nefarious regimes within the Middle East. History is in the making!

March 7, 2011 at 10:28 pm |
  27. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Emily,
    Nope, They can't bring some food or medicine to Libya right now.

March 7, 2011 at 10:27 pm |
  28. Heather - Spokane, WA

I am surprised they are sending reporters there with how dangerous it is, but that is after all a reporter's job is to go where the danger is, so kudos to all the reporters there risking their lives to bring us the information from there! Stay safe!

March 7, 2011 at 10:27 pm |
  29. Mrs.N.Mohamed

Hi every one, thanks over and over again for coverin our story Mr. Cooper.
    please people are killed there by dozens each and every day . I do not know what the world is waiting to help us. This crazy, blood thursty man Mooamer had not enough yet.he said either i rule you or kill you. For all American citizen you born in USA you do not know how hard it is for us to live 42 years in no freedom absoultly what so ever.
    Keep great job until we get our country back

March 7, 2011 at 10:27 pm |
  30. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

We certainly can not turn our back on a crying out voice asking for help! If you listen to them, they will tell you how they need help.

March 7, 2011 at 10:26 pm |
  31. Nina

It is about time for the Europeans to take the lead!

March 7, 2011 at 10:26 pm |
  32. Emily

@Cessy,
    It really is very difficult for me to comprehend how someone can live with bombs and bullets dropping and flying around them. I don't think I could live like that for very long, esp. if I had a family.

March 7, 2011 at 10:26 pm |
  33. Patrick

Jeremiah?
    Yes, when Gaddafi got friendly with the West and handed in his nuclear parts Osama Bin Laden threatened to assassinate him, and it's possible that this thug bin Laden is involved in this.

March 7, 2011 at 10:26 pm |
  34. Starr, formerly known as vincent

@Emily – I agree with you re: Arab League /UN,

I hear two weeks ago that the Arab League did not want the West to interfer, but i heard no statement that they are planning any help.

NATO is supposed to meet on Thurs.!

Who is going to help these people?

March 7, 2011 at 10:26 pm |
  35. Janis

They will win on their own. They just need a little air support and supplies – they don't want you to come in and fight for them. Just level the playing field.

March 7, 2011 at 10:26 pm |
  36. Nissrine

This is heartbreaking really, you can tell that the Libyan people are desperate, I hope and pray that something good will happen soon. Very sad!

March 7, 2011 at 10:24 pm |
  37. Janis

Mediterrarean countries – Libya needs your help now. How many airplanes have been sold to all you countries out there? For what? If not this, for what? At least airdrop medical supplies in.

Do something now. How can you watch this suffering?

March 7, 2011 at 10:24 pm |
  38. Nina

Megan Dresslar – Shoreline, WA
    I am worried about many reporters

I am worried for them too!

March 7, 2011 at 10:24 pm |
  39. Cessy - Chicago

what a brave man! hard to imagine that you can't freely speak your mind in your own country.

March 7, 2011 at 10:23 pm |
  40. Emily

Is there any foreign intervention as far as food or medicine on its way?

March 7, 2011 at 10:23 pm |
  41. Mus

Dear Anderson. I appreciate what are doing to my country Libya. I think the solution is to get red of Ghaddaffi. going to city or Sirt or trying to go into town of Bin Jawad is wasting of time and lifes. People of the revolution have to direct the move to the capital Tripoli. US can help by moving troupes close to or into Tripoli. By air felting. Or offer them air coverage to move close to Triploi. If what is going on now happen in Tripoli, even in a very small scale, happen in Tripoli, all the rest of his troops will fall sooner than we expect. other choice is send him crouse missiles. attack city of Sirt or any other city is wasting of more lifes and give Ghaddaffi a chance of celebrating more wins. we have to shake him up. If the bomb moves to Tripoli thousands of troops will join the revolution. those people are waiting of this. If they do it now they will be shot. Ghaddaffi has to appear in stat TV or western journalist every day. if he will not show up in TV for three days his military will think he died or left the country. This is the main reason why he invited the western reporters.The easy way is to create some bombing inside Triploi

March 7, 2011 at 10:22 pm |
  42. Debbie

They have killed alot of people in Libya already in the city of Zawiyah today..children in front of their mothers.

This has to get out to everyone please!

March 7, 2011 at 10:22 pm |
  43. Starr, formerly known as vincent

@Megan – i agree re: reporters in Lybia. I pray for their safety everyday.

March 7, 2011 at 10:21 pm |
  44. Patrick

The USA considers military action? Why not? Let's kill another million Arabs and displace another three million like Iraq. Why not, we could even partition Libya into the West and the East, isn't the East where all the oil is? Isn't war fun? Just like computer games, what? Would be funny if it wasn't so bloody, and I mean bloody literally, if it wasn't so serious! Wanted dead or alive? Or get out of dodge, said Bush, come on Obama it's your call!

March 7, 2011 at 10:21 pm |
  45. Nina

These demonstrators who continue to place themselves in harm’s way because they know deep within their hearts, what is right and are willing to die due to their desire for liberty, rights and the human condition. I am afraid, there will be many more deaths as Qaddafi will not go peacefully in the blackness of night. It reminds me of our forefathers and their willingness to die in order to give us our freedom and liberty

March 7, 2011 at 10:20 pm |
  46. Emily

@Starr,
    I think that the Arab League, (then the UN), should be taking the lead in the conflict. I don't think I've heard from of one statement from the Arab League yet.

March 7, 2011 at 10:20 pm |
  47. kayode

Hi anderson,
    The UN is doing it again, just like they did in bosnia,Rwanda and somalia.
    The proposed no fly zone should be enforced now.

March 7, 2011 at 10:19 pm |
  48. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I am worried about many reporters got involved in Libya right now..... they will not safe where war goes on right now.... I am afraid of them wil be hurt as well.

March 7, 2011 at 10:18 pm |
  49. Robert N Hatley

I hope we (Americans) stay out for the time being.

March 7, 2011 at 10:18 pm |
  50. kayode

Hi anderson,
    The UN is doing it again, just like they did in bosnia and somalia.
    The proposed no fly zone should be enforced now.

Ghaddafi will soon massacre a lot of Libyans and the world will regret not acting fast.

March 7, 2011 at 10:18 pm |