February 25th, 2011

Gunmen Rule Tripoli's Streets: Join the Live Chat

Tonight in Tripoli, Libya families are once again hiding in their homes as gunmen rule the streets. And the dictator Moammar Gadhafi and his sons continue to oversee the killing of unarmed protesters, and continue to lie about what they are doing. We'll take you inside the uprising with new video and new insight from our panel of experts. You'll hear from Gadhafi's former translator. He fled Libya after taking part in a failed plot to overthrow the Libyan leader in the late 1970s.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Emily

@Nalini
    "Later France sold to Egypt, and others like Chad , W. Sahara. Their political relationship is not a good one."
    Thanks Nalini. I've heard & read various such things over time. It's moments like these that seem to prove them true. I know that France gets much of their oil from Libya so it wouldn't be surprising, yet it is very disappointing.

February 25, 2011 at 10:51 pm |
  2. George McGinn

Ben's last comment about the city meeting and saying they want to fight for themselves is right.

I worry that without weapons, bullets beats rocks most of the time.

I would like to see at least the opposition equipped equally and let them fight.

February 25, 2011 at 10:50 pm |
  3. john-patrick

This Mad tells us what he wants to do and nothing is done ???
    When I think that these people just wants to live in peace like us !!!
    This is the chance to show them that we are also for peace and nothing is done !!!
    A genocide is committed and nothing can be done ????

February 25, 2011 at 10:50 pm |
  4. Uma, in Liverpool, UK

@ Emily

You're right. NO president has taken ownership of the Gadhafi problem. He's been a thorn in the world's side for almost my whole life. Nobody has tried to deal with him.

February 25, 2011 at 10:50 pm |
  5. Karen, MN

I like President Obama, but I agree with the professor. How can we stand by and watch people being destroyed.

February 25, 2011 at 10:50 pm |
  6. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

@Nalini...thank you for the clarification on France's actions and position.

February 25, 2011 at 10:50 pm |
  7. Starr, formerly known as vincent

@Casey – i know it is unsettling to hear so many people to hope death upon Gadhafi.

I admit i am not normally for any kind of violence and death. However, in Gadhafi's case, it is so hard for me to Not want to see him gone "back to God".

February 25, 2011 at 10:50 pm |
  8. Nancy in Oregon

That's my concern...next steps. The 'then what?' quotient.

February 25, 2011 at 10:50 pm |
  9. Nina

I could easily see Qaddafi set all the oil wells on fire towards the end!

February 25, 2011 at 10:49 pm |
  10. Uma, in Liverpool, UK

Good for Sarkozy, for speaking up and saying Gadhafi needs to go.

February 25, 2011 at 10:48 pm |
  11. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

I agree about the perception of U.S. Imperialism among people and countries in the middle east. The less rhetoric we fuel, the better we will be over the long run.

February 25, 2011 at 10:48 pm |
  12. Cessy - Chicago

are there any countries who plans to intervene? France? Britain? Germany?

February 25, 2011 at 10:48 pm |
  13. Nina

Prof Ajami has so much knowledge and wisdom!

It is complicated for Pres. Obama. After we take out Qaddafi, then what? Would it be another Iraq?

February 25, 2011 at 10:48 pm |
  14. Marija Barisin

I hope the person that got shot will be ok!

February 25, 2011 at 10:48 pm |
  15. Catherine Berryhill

This travesty against humans in Libya is a world affair. When people are treated this way, and we do nothing, God holds everyone responsible.

February 25, 2011 at 10:47 pm |
  16. Emily

It doesn't seem like any President in the past has wanted to take ownership of this issue! (meaning Qaddafi).

February 25, 2011 at 10:47 pm |
  17. Uma, in Liverpool, UK

Brilliant analysis as ever. I too thought of the Spanish Civil War, and my father's tales of it.

February 25, 2011 at 10:47 pm |
  18. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

It seems that the US is incapable of reacting to the chaos in the Mideast. Statements of concern don't hack it. Sanctions are meaningless. We've abandoned our leadership role.

February 25, 2011 at 10:47 pm |
  19. Nancy in Oregon

You are persistent, starr. I would never expect a reply, personally, and would only write to 'register' an opinion. (I've had those automated responses sometimes, but honestly they are not very satisfying.) Good luck with your campaign. You have more trust in it than I do!

February 25, 2011 at 10:47 pm |
  20. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Sara from Libya,
    You are my prayers and thoughts with you and Libya people....... we can care about you alot. We like to say thank you for message to Anderson, He will read yours...... Keep safe for me and Anderson. 🙂

February 25, 2011 at 10:47 pm |
  21. Bina

I have been following what is been happening all over North Africa and Middle Eastern countries and its despicable how this dictators don't care about their own people.

How do you shoot at people that have no way of fighting back? What kind of human are you to shoot at people because they are protesting for freedom? What kind of human are you to shoot at kids?

February 25, 2011 at 10:47 pm |
  22. Layla

Isn't this a prime opportunity for the US to gain back some good will with the Middle East by taking a more proactive role in riding Libya from this tyrant?

February 25, 2011 at 10:46 pm |
  23. Nalini

To Emily, "What France has been doing for Libya" is providing them with arms of course and technical service for oil, since WW1. Subsequent to that however during the Mid east wars, they supported different sides. Later France sold to Egypt, and others like Chad , W. Sahara. Their political relationship is not a good one.

February 25, 2011 at 10:46 pm |
  24. Karen, MN

Ouch! How awful to see the video of someone being shot.

February 25, 2011 at 10:46 pm |
  25. Andrew Gharzeddine

Due to the nature of this regime and its willingness to hold on to power at any cost, It's evident that a certain measure of direct outside intervention is necessary to ensure the success of the Libyan revolution.

February 25, 2011 at 10:46 pm |
  26. Ahlem

Unfortunately we know what it means when we ask outside military forces to intervene. Whether we like or not the anti-American sentiment has been growing in the Arab world since the war in Iraq erupted and any other military intervention will further fuel this feeling. As a Tunisian woman who is witnessing a revolution in Tunisia and who has been listening to peoples' views I do pray that Ameria or Europe don't intervene. A no fly zone is a good step for now.

February 25, 2011 at 10:45 pm |
  27. Starr, formerly known as vincent

@Nichole – i did not know that the ICC does not recommend the death penalty. Frankly, in this situation, i beleive that is a shame. Thank for your the info.

I also agree with you on the money for the People of Lybia!

@Nancy & Mike – i certainly pray that something "covert" is in the mix right now.

February 25, 2011 at 10:45 pm |
  28. Adam

As I watch events unfold day after day I wonder why we don't see many – if any – women involved in the protests. If the people are protesting for a free and liberal country as I keep hearing the US media repeat day after day, why no women involved? To me, freedom and/or liberalism also involves women.

February 25, 2011 at 10:45 pm |
  29. Chi

Must agree totally with professor.

February 25, 2011 at 10:45 pm |
  30. Don - Chicago

Which side controls the harbors in Tripoli?

Which side controls the power plants?

Does Tripoli still have electricity?

Do the other main cities in western Libya have electricity?

Is water available in Tripoli? Are toilets flushing? What is the status of utilities?

February 25, 2011 at 10:45 pm |
  31. Emily

@Starr,
    "Needless to say, i have been very disappointed by the lack of any reply."
    I thought that there might have been an automated reply. Would be interesting if you do hear back.

February 25, 2011 at 10:45 pm |
  32. Carolyn

Anderson... Gadhafi and his 'Green Book' is a sad joke... the people of Libya need the world's help... Prayers to all in need!!

February 25, 2011 at 10:44 pm |
  33. Ben. Denver

@ Kate

international pursuit like what happened in Serbia for him and his family. His wife and daughter just fled to Austria. Cut all relations with him and his sons and seize all their assists around the world

February 25, 2011 at 10:44 pm |
  34. Nina

@Jo Ann, Ohio

Unless sanctions can remove all of qaddafi's firepower, it really is useless... He will fight with everything he has... guns, bombs, missiles, and kill as many people he can before he is killed.

He will not give up his delusion of being their leader and god..

February 25, 2011 at 10:44 pm |
  35. sara

From A Libyan girl who wants to be free

February 25, 2011 at 10:44 pm |
  36. Jo Ann, Ohio

@Maulik, "Why are the French opposed to a no fly zone in Libya?!"

According to the "Guardian" in the U.K. France is in favor of a no-fly zone, but Britain is against it.

February 25, 2011 at 10:43 pm |
  37. Anita

The Libyan voices I have heard so far are screaming out for assistance from the West. So why do others say they don't want this? Of course they need help. They are being coldly executed and slaughtered. Help does not have to mean interference.

February 25, 2011 at 10:43 pm |
  38. Kathy Rand

@David NATO could monitor the no-fly zone, as Wes Clark just stated. He also stated that the French are not in agreement on that yet, but I don't know what is holding them back.

February 25, 2011 at 10:43 pm |
  39. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

@Ahmed....where exactly are you? Are you safe?

February 25, 2011 at 10:43 pm |
  40. Salim Benmusa

Direct military intervention by outsiders in Libya is the wrong thing to do because of two main reasons:
    1) It will reverse the action in fever of Kaddafi's side because they will be seen as occupiers.
    2) It could bring in Alkaidah and other similar groups to the mix. It will be Iraq all over again.

February 25, 2011 at 10:43 pm |
  41. Emily

@patricia,
    The areas around Fezzan and more have been controlled by the French.

February 25, 2011 at 10:43 pm |
  42. Salim

Hi Anderson,
    Just letting you know Brega is in the east of Libya. It's 80km west of Jdabya and 200km west of Benghazi along the coast. I'm a Libyan-American and was working at Brega just 2 months ago through a school internship.
    God help the Libyan people.
    Thank you for providing an interesting show.

February 25, 2011 at 10:43 pm |
  43. Lea

I was saddened to hear a Libyan man expressing that he knows Americans don't give a damn about Libyans but only care about the oil. While I understand perfectly how he could feel that way, I want to tell him that the American people are not the same as American foreign policy and most of us are not policy makers. Ordinary Americans like myself do care very much about what's happening to the Libyan people and our sympathies and hopes are with you. We want you to have freedom and hope and a better future. My family is watching with great interest and worry, and we hope for the very best outcome for you personally and for your nation.

February 25, 2011 at 10:43 pm |
  44. fathi

Superb program on Libya. I appreciate all that Anderson is doing in bringing the truth about the cruel Gaddafi regime.

February 25, 2011 at 10:43 pm |
  45. johnG

to Sara from Libya: "Stay strong", Americans are with your people. You have suffered too much, and your voices are being heard around the world, thanks to CNN. "Stay strong and don't give up the fight" ...and please, make sure your next leader is a superior man, or woman. God Bless you.

February 25, 2011 at 10:41 pm |
  46. Dalma

Anderson, I commend you for your remarkable coverage of the uprisings in Libya. Thanks to you, millions of tv viewers are now witnesses to Gaddafi's genocidal atrocities. I hope that the brave people of Libya realize that we stand with them and that their tormentor will soon be toppled

February 25, 2011 at 10:41 pm |
  47. Diana

Thank you so much for continuing to devote so much coverage the historic and important events in the Middle East. My father died prematurely in Iraq as a result of Saddam Hussein's despotic regime. God bless all those that are trying to shake off their tyrannical dictators, I pray they are successful.

February 25, 2011 at 10:41 pm |
  48. Cessy - Chicago

assasinate Gadhafi? I don't even want to know what's going to happen...

I can understand that a lot of people in America would like for the Pres. to intervene but it's probably not a good idea..

February 25, 2011 at 10:41 pm |
  49. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

I have to say, it's very eye-opening to hear someone say on TV that the best thing would be for a person to be assassinated, any person. Western civilization semi-advocating violence and/or death is not comforting as practical as it may seem.

February 25, 2011 at 10:40 pm |
  50. Jo Ann, Ohio

Lockerbie was never "settled".

February 25, 2011 at 10:40 pm |