February 25th, 2011

Gunmen Rule Tripoli's Streets: Join the Live Chat

Tonight in Tripoli, Libya families are once again hiding in their homes as gunmen rule the streets. And the dictator Moammar Gadhafi and his sons continue to oversee the killing of unarmed protesters, and continue to lie about what they are doing. We'll take you inside the uprising with new video and new insight from our panel of experts. You'll hear from Gadhafi's former translator. He fled Libya after taking part in a failed plot to overthrow the Libyan leader in the late 1970s.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Lola

It seems obvious to me that we must use violence to get G and supporters. What other way is there at this late juncture? I feel we have a moral duty to stop him. I would like to hear other opinions. He is committing atrocities and will not stop. He has to be stopped. PLEASE help the Libyans. We have to choose the lesser evil at this point. Let him slaughter his peaceful people, or go in and try and stop him? It's so messy no matter what. We must TRY. We must ACT.

February 25, 2011 at 10:40 pm |
  2. Karla Robson

Yes Lisa I agree my heart sank too, I hope the media can get the message to the people that we care about them, we support their fight for freedom so they can have a better life!

February 25, 2011 at 10:39 pm |
  3. Tom

Thanks for the continuing in depth coverage of Libya. I especially enjoy the professor's comments as well.

When you see all the videos online, including the last few where it looks like anti-aircraft weaponry may have been used against protesters, I can't help but think the sooner and stronger the international community acts and sounds, the quicker this nightmare will end for the Libyan people.

February 25, 2011 at 10:39 pm |
  4. michelina calderaro

Anderson, you keep us so very informed, thank you. I really wish the people in Libya all the best, Gadhafi will be out soon and then the country will be safe. I just dont want another Iran, we cant afford another war and lose of lives for our military.

February 25, 2011 at 10:39 pm |
  5. Jo Ann, Ohio

@Nancy in Oregon, "I guess I really don't understand what sanctions are, other than freezing monies."

At this point I think that is all the U.S. is thinking about. I am afraid that it might take isolation to get the job done. However, Gaddafi has already gained the support of Hugo Chavez in Venezuela and Daniel Ortega in Nicaragua. As long as there are other corrupt governments willing to support him it will be difficult.

February 25, 2011 at 10:39 pm |
  6. Emily, Colorado Springs

I don't think we can take any of Gaddafi's threats lightly. Clinically, he is psychotic. Worse, he has a full blown Narcissitic Personality Disorder. He doesn't care about life. His people are not people, but narcissistic extensions of himself, meant to support his grandiose impression of himself. They are objects to him, dispensable so long as they no longer serve his needs. I think he's fully capable of using mustard gas or bombs on his own country. I don't see him surrendering, leaving or suiciding without mass murders unless he is stopped. Thoughts?

February 25, 2011 at 10:39 pm |
  7. Nina

Qaddafi will take everyone down before he is killed. He is enraged because he has the delusion of being a demi-god and will not accept his people have turned on him. Qaddafi will kill everyone. I completely agree on Bob Bayer's comments...

February 25, 2011 at 10:39 pm |
  8. Catherine Berryhill

The longer that this man stays in power, he will plan worse destruction. He lies in his bed planning and plotting.

February 25, 2011 at 10:39 pm |
  9. Starr, formerly known as vincent

@Emily re: my contacts of the WH & State Dept.

I requested a reply, but have not received one yet.
    I often email the President and request a response. To date, i haven't ever received a reply – even to aknowledge receipt of my emails.
    Needless to say, i have been very disappointed by the lack of any reply.

February 25, 2011 at 10:38 pm |
  10. Nancy in Oregon

I confess, Mike Syracuse, I really don't know what can be 'done' in an overt and simple way. (I'm feeling something covert must happen.)

February 25, 2011 at 10:38 pm |
  11. Carolyn

Change starts with each one of us... be that change... and help bring peace to the world.

February 25, 2011 at 10:38 pm |
  12. Karen, MN

"Oh what a tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive" Gaddafi has a very large web.

February 25, 2011 at 10:38 pm |
  13. Emily

@Starr,
    "I believe in Arabic his name starts with a Q."
    I've seen so many different ways of spelling this surname. From G, K & Q.

February 25, 2011 at 10:38 pm |
  14. Reggie

Anderson is great! Thanks for the coverage!

February 25, 2011 at 10:38 pm |
  15. Dan Hanson

No fly zone, its possible. Lets make it happen for these people. Eliminate mercenaries coming into the country of Libya. Innocent people are dying everyday the Regime has power over the air.

February 25, 2011 at 10:38 pm |
  16. George McGinn

In the years that I covered the UN as a journalist, the UN moves too slow, and often sends in unarmed blueberries.

The idea of the UN, born out of the League of Nations after WWI, has too many members that to finally act takes months.

With so many voices, with so many opinions, with so many "what's in it for me," the UN is paralyzed.

Without reforms within the UN, there will always be this suffering before any actions will be taken.

February 25, 2011 at 10:38 pm |
  17. david

who will monitor this no fly zone?

February 25, 2011 at 10:38 pm |
  18. Dale

why do we allow small groups of armed henchmen control a country of millions. a country loses its right of autonomy when it becomes chaotic civil war. nato can go in and establish a one person one vote democracy. if the people vote for kadafi, fine. why could we after hussein and not kadafi?

February 25, 2011 at 10:37 pm |
  19. Kate

@ Ben from Denver

What would be appropriate? Is there something anyone can do besides continue to bear witness and pray? When we see such suffering it is simply heartbreaking.

February 25, 2011 at 10:37 pm |
  20. Kathy Rand

Let's support a NATO enforced no-fly zone that would prevent the influx of other mercenaries, protect Libyan naval vessels or planes that defect from Qaddafi, and deliver medical and food supplies. Nick Kristof (NY Times) has posted on FB that Libyan naval vessels may already be dispatched to attack Benghazi. Apparently they want to join the opposition but are afraid of attacks from Libyan air force. They want protection from NATO so they can disobey orders. Let's hope NATO can say "Yes" fast enough to actually avert the attacks.

February 25, 2011 at 10:36 pm |
  21. Nicole Netherlands

@ Starr, "I want to see them captured and tried at the ICC, and ultimately executed as they have executed so many innocent Libians, their own people"

The ICC (in The Hague) doesn't deliver the death penalty, but I can totaly understand your statement..
    I would add, every dollar he collected given back to the people..
    And all people and party's who made his being able to collect so much money, made public.
    That would be total justice..

February 25, 2011 at 10:36 pm |
  22. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

The Administration is repeating their plan with Iran: do nothing.

February 25, 2011 at 10:35 pm |
  23. Lola TErrell

God help the world to go in together and get this madman and his supporters. It's the only way now. It's so obvious. I'm not violent, but there are times when it needs to be used to end an atrocity in the making. Please help Libya now world. God help Libyans.

February 25, 2011 at 10:35 pm |
  24. Carolyn

@Laney – the world can help... the world does care...

February 25, 2011 at 10:35 pm |
  25. Tahreem

What is the Turkish position as a member of NATO on enforcing a No Fly Zone – are they positioned well to easily assist in enforcing a No Fly Zone? Please ask Prof Ajami – also what is the Prof's opinion on the effectiveness of a No Fly Zone in helping the Libyans? Sanctions are clearly worthless.

February 25, 2011 at 10:35 pm |
  26. sara

Hello Mr.Cooper,

i'm Libyan and i want to thank you for showing the truth to the world you really don't know how much it means to all of us just hearing you talk and showing the truth and supporting all of us brought hope to many of us. as all the other Libyans told you we only want to be free we want to be want to be treated as a human being, and have rights like the other people in other countries. thank you again for your help. all the Libyans see you as a HERO. i hope you will read my message... thank you
    from
    A Libyan girl who wants to be free

February 25, 2011 at 10:35 pm |
  27. Chi

Gadhafi should be punished. Seriously. He is making life so hard and sad for Libyans. Ok. Dance and Sing. Fine. But there are only guns now. Where are the roses?

February 25, 2011 at 10:35 pm |
  28. Jennifer

Anderson...

I cant get the Libya women out of my mind from your previous shows this week. I keep playing in my head today, last nights conversation over and over and find I keep wanting to cry for her. Thank you for letting us know that you talked to her today. I wish there was something more we could do as individuals to help in anyway. If there is other ways we could contribute other then keeping informed could you let us know.

February 25, 2011 at 10:35 pm |
  29. johnG

America needs to stop monkeying around, every time we change administration, we change our allegiances. Let's be firm in our policies. For example, we should make our policies independent of tyrant nations especially when it comes to "our economy" is so dependent on "their oil". Let's free ourselves from this submission. That's why we are stuck with these creeps....42 years? give me a break.

February 25, 2011 at 10:34 pm |
  30. Nancy in Oregon

Yes, starr, there are probably many ideas among the citizens there as to which form outside 'help' should take. Each person voices a legitimate wish but I doubt speaks for the whole of the citizenry. So complex.

February 25, 2011 at 10:34 pm |
  31. Jo Ann, Ohio

@David Marcus, "How can we the people in the free world, stand by and do nothing while Libyan people are being slaughtered by a madman dictator?"

That is a good question, but the West has been doing just that for 41 years. After this is over we need to look at the other corrupt governments the U.S. is "ignoring" and even supporting.

February 25, 2011 at 10:34 pm |
  32. renea in virginia

i hope and pray that we and the world can do something to help the people of lybia. this is not right what is going on in the streets there.

February 25, 2011 at 10:34 pm |
  33. Ahlem

A no-fly zone seems to be the biggest help Obama can offer right now.

February 25, 2011 at 10:34 pm |
  34. Patricia

@emily

I don't remember French being spoken it Libya, Italian, yes because it was colonized by the Italians.

February 25, 2011 at 10:34 pm |
  35. Lisa

When the Libyan man interviewed said he knows the United States does not care about the people of Libya, they only care about the oil, my heart sank. Our country has done things I am not proud of in the name of oil. We have to do the right thing in the name of humanitarianism for the Libyan people. My heart goes out to them. Nato must establish a no fly zone.

I am so relieved the Libyan woman who has been calling in is safe. I admire her greatly for her courage.

February 25, 2011 at 10:33 pm |
  36. Starr, formerly known as vincent

@Casey Hi. I saw your post re: the spellingof Gadhafi's name.
    I meant to google the Aribic spelling vs. the G we have been using. I believe in Arabic his name starts with a Q.
    I also appreciated your sentiment in your remark.

February 25, 2011 at 10:33 pm |
  37. Lori

How can the kill children?

February 25, 2011 at 10:33 pm |
  38. Bina

Hello Anderson,

You have been great in covering what is happening in Middle East and North Africa. Thank you for showing the world what is really happening in the world around us, and how these psychos need to be stopped.

My heart goes out to all of the Libyans and everyone in Libya that is suffering because of Qaddafi and his sons.

February 25, 2011 at 10:33 pm |
  39. Mary

It broke my heart to here that man in Libya say that Americans don't care about the people, we only care about the oil. I would give away my car and ride a bike if it would save just one person living in that hell. Some Americans do care. God be with all of you.

February 25, 2011 at 10:33 pm |
  40. Nina

Intelligence needs to first find out if there are any Americans left in Libya. As they will surely be killed if we pose any military pressure on Libya. If everyone is evacuated safely, then we can move as a country and get rid of Qaddafi. I see the Libyan people taking Tripoli eventually.

February 25, 2011 at 10:33 pm |
  41. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

@Bo...absolutely right about the no-fly zone

February 25, 2011 at 10:32 pm |
  42. Ahlem

Thanks for the great job you've been doing Anderson. I hope that president Obama will proceed wisely and not send military force to Libya because this will certainly backfire. The unbearable scenes of violence should not be used as an excuse to intervene in Libya's affairs.

February 25, 2011 at 10:32 pm |
  43. Ahmed

It is 05:30 a.m here in Tripoli, the situation is worse than anyone can immagin!!
    we believe as civil unarmed people, we have faith in Allah, we can handle him it's just a matter of time.

February 25, 2011 at 10:32 pm |
  44. Lori

This is really escalating. I hope the people do not give up.

February 25, 2011 at 10:32 pm |
  45. Bobby

I think Ghadafi and his sons are crazy enough to fight and kill people until they die. They know have no place in a new democracy and the new government will kill them. Iran's leaders are exactly the same way. They will not hesitate to kill all oppositions.

February 25, 2011 at 10:32 pm |
  46. Nancy in Oregon

Hi, JoAnn! I guess I really don't understand what sanctions are, other than freezing monies. Is that all it means, do you know? Trade sanctions I know a little about, but that term isn't being used. Oh it's just such a tough, tough thing...if you go storming in with your own troops, what then? What happens on the day after? If you surround and isolate, it comes down on all the citizens. I'm afraid I tend to think in sneakier terms...and in terms pointed directly at the offending individuals, using highly trained special agents.

February 25, 2011 at 10:32 pm |
  47. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Bloggers,
    UN said that might suggest oppose or not take Fly-Zone over Libya as well, I have heard that they would not take Fly-zone as well.

February 25, 2011 at 10:32 pm |
  48. David Marcus

February 25, 2011 at 10:31 pm |
  49. Janis

Wacky K-Daffy. That's easier to spell but I don't want to insult Daffy Duck either.

February 25, 2011 at 10:31 pm |