February 24th, 2011

Evening Buzz: Scared in Libya

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2011/images/02/24/t1larg.tobruk.flag.afp.gi.jpg caption="An internal security officer waves the old national flag Thursday in Libya's rebellious city of Tobruk." width=300 height=169]

Maureen Miller
AC360° Writer

Tonight on 360°, remarkable bravery and anger in Libya. You'll hear from a woman in Tripoli who's been barricaded inside for nearly a week. There are stay bullets flying in her neighborhood, as the regime tries to keep a grip on the country. She fears the regime will be going house-to-house to attack those who are against them. She's scared, and wants it all to stop. She wants Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi to step down. She wants a new Libya, a better one.

Gadhafi still controls the capital, but not much more of the country. Today the dictator accused followers of Osama bin Laden of brainwashing the youth of the seaside city of Zawiya, with hallucinogenic drugs, leading to the unrest. Zawiya is where 17 people were killed and 150 others were wounded in Martyrs Square today when government forces attacked the city.

Tonight we'll talk about the claim that followers of bin Laden have ties to the uprising with Foud Ajami, professor at John Hopkins School of Advanced International Studies.

We're also looking at the ongoing effort to evacuate Americans on a ferry out of Tripoli. They were supposed to depart for Malta yesterday, but the ferry is still docked due to bad weather.

Join us for these stories and much more starting at 10 p.m. ET. See you then.

Filed under: Maureen Miller • The Buzz
  1. ---

Mr. Cooper...I live in the hamptons as a local. I work 7 days a week for a living. I am surrounded by people that have more money than they know what to do with...isn't there some way we could get these people to contribute to the locals of libya so they have a fair chance to fight for their freedom?

February 24, 2011 at 11:40 pm |
  2. Matthew

It's time Obama stood up for the underdogs.. Do something to help them and don't sit back and do nothing.. ACTIONS speak louder the WORDS

February 24, 2011 at 11:38 pm |
  3. Laureen Falzo

How can the USA, UK or any other country sit back and not do anything to help these people!!!! We all know what a sadist leader he is as well as his family. He needs to be taken OUT.... We know he was behind the Pan Am bombing and all the people's lives he took,as well the broken families that were left to cope with what happened. It make me cry because I can't do anything to help... The middle east makes me even more sick because they don't do anything either.... Thats because all of the leaders are like him.... I have been to Egypt numerous times and I new this was coming. I was married to an Egyptian and his friends talked about taking over the government. This was about 5 yrs ago. They were scared who would take over... All the countries have to get together and do something....NOW

February 24, 2011 at 11:38 pm |
  4. Matt Caldwell

It is time for the U.N. and US to do something about this terrible and tragic situation. Somewhere along the lines our foreign policy got turned upside down and we propped up these ruthless dictators, for a number of reasons, and we stand idle while they proceed to terrorize and murder their own people. A message needs to be sent to the rest of these leaders that this is not acceptable behavior, and it will not be tolerated by the rest of the world.

This is something that I would feel proud to have my tax dollars go to. We need to fortify the east part of the country, help the west, which is getting attacked by the minute by these ruthless thugs, and take Tripoli back for these helpless people.

Please Obama and the U.N.
    –DO SOMETHING...NOW!!!!!

February 24, 2011 at 11:34 pm |
  5. Amber

My heart goes out to the people of Libya. With that said I find it ironic that the US goes to places like Iraq and liberates them from a "MadMan", however; we are watching the chaos and listening to the pleas of help, yet all we are doing is watching it on our tv's. I wonder what Gadfi has on us that is stopping us as well as North Korea's Kim-Jong-il.

February 24, 2011 at 11:31 pm |
  6. Ed Schaeffer

When I heard this woman asked if the people of America cared, my heart sank when Cooper told her yes. It sank because I know that's not true. I watched all of my local news and none of them open with Libya. I just checked Yahoo and Libya is not trending in the top 10 but some story about SunChips bag is! For God's sake the idiots on the pop culture websites are going on about what Lindsey Lohan was wearing at court! What in God's name is wrong here? And now the UN is talking about sanctions. Screw the UN! Just have the Navy park a carrier battle group in the Gulf of Aden and end this madman. If that woman is right and the people of Tripoli are going to go out into the streets tomorrow, it is going to be a bloodbath. I would say the world would care then but the world stood by during the killing fields in Cambodia, Rwanda and Bosnia so my hopes are not to high.

February 24, 2011 at 11:29 pm |
  7. Scott

To the very brave Libyan woman hiding in her apartment in Tripoli:
    We hear and understand you, and care, and are encouraged by you!
    I have been following and looking forward to each call from you with CNN, and I hear you! I was especially moved by your call this evening, as you said "we've all had enough." We could all hear the fear, anger, courage, and struggle in your voice. I sincerely hope you make it thru this madness and we get to see you talking with Anderson Cooper live and in person to celebrate a new and free Libya, without Gadhafi.
    I hope that, for you, your family, friends, neighbors and everyone else, that it all ends soon and you are free to leave your apartment without fear, and enjoy freedom!

February 24, 2011 at 11:28 pm |
  8. Pierre-Hugues Archambault

February 24, 2011 at 11:27 pm |
  9. Patrick

This is terrible to watch and hear everyday. We need to do something.

February 24, 2011 at 11:26 pm |
  10. ali77

How can you listen to this woman who is putting her life on the line and allow her to keep putting herself in danger? While I listen to her telling her story I worry any moment they will tear her door down and kill her for what she is doing...yes I admire her bravery but what can we do to save her at this moment? I feel someone should be standing up for her bravery instead of just listening to her story knowing what the consequence will be.

February 24, 2011 at 11:24 pm |
  11. Sandra

Hi,

I grew up in Belfast in the 70's the time of what they called "the troubles". It was a very scary childhood to say the least with bombs going off, people getting murdered and strikes and no go areas, stuck in our homes too watching dead bodies on tv after being blown apart,

My heart goes out to this girl in Tripoli but I also worry about what might happen to her if found out to be talking to you.

America and Canada must take inmediate action to bring this despot down. I dont care about paying more at the gas pump just do something for these poor people in a time of great need they are after all our brothers and sisters.

February 24, 2011 at 11:24 pm |
  12. Paul Labatte

The voice and story of the woman in Libya tonight I hope will make every world leader sit up and take notice and feel compelled to do something, anything to help the people of Libya. A chilling and compelling account. When you hunt and kill your own people Genocide? A holocaust? No title need be given, Murder should be sufficient for the World to act. But it won't and sadly history will repeat itself...again.

February 24, 2011 at 11:20 pm |
  13. J. C. Lucier

Thank you Anderson Cooper for broadcasting the voice of Libya through the young lady.

Please, please stop calling the violence in Libya a civil war. Firing on unarmed citizens of one's own country isn't war.

Since the U.N. won't lift a finger, can you bring in NATO spokespersons? I would like to know what they have to say.

Democratic countries cannot idly sit by and watch this slaughter and do nothing, for we would be just as guitly as Gadhafi.

Cheers,

February 24, 2011 at 11:18 pm |
  14. bryan

Powerful coverage Anderson. I'm sure you would say it's not about you, but you and your staff are doing amazing work. This is my first post ever to a news person. Thank you for "A Cry in the Night" and much more.

February 24, 2011 at 11:18 pm |
  15. Pierre-Hugues Archambault

Hi Anderson's team,

Thank you so much for allowing the World to hear the cry in the night of this couragous woman of Tripoli who described the hell she is living in.
    By doing that you make us aware we all are citizen of the World and we all are link by the same Hope: Live free in dignity and peace.

Times of utopia and idealism will be over if we keep that in our mind when we vote for our leaders.
    If democratic media keep our leaders honest our children and grand children will certainly live in a better world.

God bless you all

A Canadian friend

February 24, 2011 at 11:11 pm |
  16. embed

AC360
    Yes Gadhafi Ducks gotta go ... thats all folks!
    Though creating sensationalist propaganda to garner public support and sympathy for immediate intervention is stunning!
    Does the Libyan woman from Tripoli have a name apart from 'this woman'...? Very Strange!
    Very emotive eloquent performance for urgent much needed help.
    Very clear stable live line from Libya ...lucky!
    Strong informative leading questions like 'how does it feel?'...'do you feel alone?
    Fabulous PSY-OP programming couldn't have been scripted any better!
    U guys deserve an oscar!

Talk about PSY-OPS operations to manipulate and deceive the public?!
    Well Done!

February 24, 2011 at 11:11 pm |
  17. tracy

Keep up the excellent coverage, Anderson and CNN. We care about that beautiful woman and her Libyan citizens. Every night at ten pm we are glued to CNN and Anderson Cooper here in Toronto to get the best coverage and then send off letters to anyone who will listen to do something. Its time the West has finally learned how evil these dictators are and how are govt allowed them to stay. THANK YOU ANDERSON!!!

February 24, 2011 at 11:07 pm |
  18. abbas

MR. ANDERSON WHERE IS AMERICAN LEADERSHIP IN ALL THESE?? it intersting that we always talk about helping people to be free NOW THAT PEOPLE OF LIBYA HAVE RISEN OUR ELECTED OFFICIAL ARE JUST WATCHING PEOPLE DIE . VERY SAD.

February 24, 2011 at 11:01 pm |
  19. Bob

I've yet to figure out why, when an oppressed people stand against their oppressor, the so called free world (read that as the United States and Europe) stands by as they are slaughtered. This is an opportunity to be greeted as liberators, depose a true despot, turn the situation around in the short term and provide the people of Libya a real chance for self-rule. Certainly, the situation is a mess, but once foreign civilians are safe – it will be time to lend real assistance to the people of Libya in the only meaningful way – militarily. This is not Iraq. The Libyan people are crying for our help.

February 24, 2011 at 10:56 pm |
  20. Charles Swisher

Egypt has a strong, well equipped military that has the support of the Egyptian people. If they are really supportive of recent revolts, why can't they be sent right next door into Libya to bring that horrid situation into control?

February 24, 2011 at 10:52 pm |
  21. Michelle Montague

Please let her know we hear her. I can't imagine how frightening it must be to be where she is right now. My heart cries out for her, and all of the people of Libya and the other countries who are standing up for the freedom to live as human beings. I am praying without ceasing for a rapid end to this madness and hoping with all my heart that they will soon be rewarded for their strength and bravery with the freedom they seek. I am truly humbled by the evidence of people who know the worth of the freedom I often take for granted, and are willing to pay for it, if necessary, with their lives.

February 24, 2011 at 10:45 pm |
  22. mike

It is obvious that the Libyan people in Tripole need outside help to get rid of this thuggish regime. Where is the U.S. Navy? Even the Brits have a warship in Ben Ghazi harbor to pick up their nationals. Our navy should have an aircraft carrier battle group off shore of Tripoli by now. Where is the great vaunted U.S. Navy??? We need to at least be supporting the rebellion with air power from a carrier. The time for political correctness is long past. We need to act now, unilaterally if necessary.

February 24, 2011 at 10:44 pm |
  23. james Gardner

The time to act is now with ships planes and ground forces to free the country of this nut who thinks he is god

February 24, 2011 at 10:42 pm |
  24. Peter F

Her words brought tears to my eyes. Not just bc of the pain I felt in her voice, but also the hope that rang through. God bless the people of Libya

February 24, 2011 at 10:37 pm |
  25. Alyce Heidt

To the Young Lady in Tripoli...Many Many here are praying for you and your family, your neighbors and your country. I know it must be terribly difficult trying to be patient....but things will change..stay in and pray in faith. This man,Mr. Gadhafi wants to be in control...but he really isn't..He is acting this way because he is afraid and losing control! His regime will FALL. We are praying for your protection and safety. The United States stands with you not only in prayer for democracy & peace in your land, but protection, and unity and solidarity for all people.
    We CALL on President Obama to take a stand for Libya and her people!! Now is YOUR time President Obama...Do what you must to make things right, to free these people from oppression from this tyrannt...and NOW!! The people of the United States stand with these people...Lets see the action she is talking about!! Please hear us!!!

February 24, 2011 at 10:37 pm |
  26. sharon

I lived in Tripoli.Libya as a child till I was 8 years old when ghadaffi took power and the US military left the country, these stories break my heart because I knew these people and they were kind to me and my family, they were protective of us becuase we lived off base, I wish there was some way I could find that woman who is reporting and save her, her courage in the face of what will happen to her if she is caught will be repaid with death and we wont even know it,I hope that if there is a god in heaven he well watch over and protect her for her incredible courage and I wish that someone somewhere would have the courage to get rid of the entire ghadaffi family and let the Libyan people at least be able to go out and get good without fear of being killed. This is so unfair, these people have no way to protect themselves, I wish our troups that were in Iraqi could leave and go to libya and help those people who are helpless to help themselves.

February 24, 2011 at 10:35 pm |
  27. esther

we are not the police of the world. it is sad but we have too much to take care of here.

February 24, 2011 at 10:33 pm |
    • danel

I disagree its all about oil first off and I Belive this world has a right to freedom and have there voices heard

February 24, 2011 at 11:05 pm |
  28. Linda

After listening to this woman's desperate cries for help and attention from the world, I'd like to add SHAME on the American musicians like Beyonce and Usher who were paid millions to entertain this monster and his spawns of the devil sons. How could they stoop so low? I'm making a list of all of these money grubbers and will never buy their music again. Shame on them!

February 24, 2011 at 10:32 pm |
  29. Steve in Pembroke, NC

True this is a sad situation but we are in a bad situation here in the USA. Try talking to a American who has been out of work since 10/09 and hear the fear in their voice as to where they are going to get their next meal. Where are they going to get work to feed their families. You sit there and act like no one cares but hey the US can't take care of their own people much less take care of all of these other people outside the US.
    When will America start caring about Americans

February 24, 2011 at 10:32 pm |
  30. IranianAmerican

The fear in this woman's voice will haunt me for days, if not weeks to come. What kills me is that she thinks we in America and the rest of the world don't care. I have been and will continue to bring light to this crisis every single day in every way that I can.
    My dear Libyan lady friend, please don't think the world is ignoring you. That couldn't be further from the truth. I'm a 31 year old woman and grew up in Iran during the Iran/Iraq war – BELIEVE ME when I say I know how scared you are and don't want to leave your house for fear of dying. I remember the fear, I remember the panic brought about by the sound of gun shots and explosions. I KNOW WHAT YOU'RE GOING THROUGH.
    I believe in the will, bravery and strength of the Libyan people. Please don't say you've had enough. You HAVE to be strong and you HAVE to stand your ground. We hear your voice, and we DO CARE ABOUT YOU, more than you know.

February 24, 2011 at 10:30 pm |
  31. danel

I feel sorry for this young lady obam has a lot of American people over there waiting to leave I thank god I'm in the usa. Obam needs to react with sending all military forces or some to support the peaceful protesters and let it be known that we are in there country and put a end to it ill support and I am willing to leave my country and join the military to show my support for the people of Libya that wants change.Obama needs to make the right choice not only be in it for oil do ur job Americans will be disappointed if u sit back and do nothin this country is about freedom do ur job

February 24, 2011 at 10:30 pm |
  32. Adebisi Sheu

I woke up about 25mins ago,the fear in that lady's voice woke me up. (i had my tv on and it's on cnn).. Can someone tell me why we haven't had anyone stood up against him before now.. Gadhafi has ruled for so long and that is why this is happening now..
    Anderson Cooper, you said she should stay strong, but for how long? I appreciate her courage.. several people are out there who couldn't voice out like her because they are scared... The whole world should do something about this situation..the us, canada, europe and the rest of africa..

February 24, 2011 at 10:28 pm |
  33. JUDY MCCrary

HOW CAN THE UN AND NATO SAY THIS IS NOT THEIR PROBLEM.
    HOW CAN IT NOT BE? PEOPLE WHO ARE COMPLETELY INNOCENT
    ARE BEING SLAIN IN THE STREETS OF LIBYA?
    IF THE WORLD CANNOT COME TOGETHER IN ACTION AGAINST SUCH
    MONSTROSITIES WE ARE TRULY A SORRY LOT.
    GADHAFF IS INSANE. WHAT IS OUR EXCUSE?

February 24, 2011 at 10:27 pm |
  34. Theerusha Govender

As much as the world wants to stay out of Libyas problems they need to understand that Gadhafi WILL NOT let go.He has planned for years for his sons and family to take over the country. What makes you think he's going to give that up. It's going to only get worse unless the world helps Libya.

The average citizen of the world needs to pressure their government. The more pressure we put on our government the more likely they are to put something in place to assist the Libyans

February 24, 2011 at 10:27 pm |
  35. Anne Marie

Anderson my heart is breaking for the woman on the phone. Please we have to do something to stop this! Please tell her that I am here with her too. I will pray for her and the other people who are under attack. I pray that it will be over soon.

February 24, 2011 at 10:26 pm |
  36. Bob Zarnik

Anderson: Could you get the woman you have had on for the past several days, to make a plea to Pres. Obama for some help for these poor people. Bob

February 24, 2011 at 10:26 pm |
  37. Tim USA

As a American living in the US all I've seen on the TV in Libya the people fighting for their freedom, I think the USA Gov – needs to step up & give them the no fly zone that the people truly need. So I am asking that our president please help them & I hope other Americans ask the same.

February 24, 2011 at 10:23 pm |
  38. Ellie

I hear you.... I am writing a letter to my President and asking him and to plea as you have done to end this. I want you and your people to be able to go outside and smell the flowers. xoxoxoxox stay strong. WE HEAR YOU SWEETHEART!!!!!!!

Your friend,
    Ellie

February 24, 2011 at 10:19 pm |
  39. James

I've worked in Libya for quite some time and almost all of the Libyans that I knew hated the present government. They are just too scared to voice out their opinions in public. In fact, about a few years ago they told me that some of Gadhafi's supporters even brought hidden tape recorders with them to catch anybody who spoke ill against the government.

February 24, 2011 at 10:18 pm |
  40. pam

Anderson, can we get this lady out? She can stay with us, we have plenty of room. Let me know.
    Pam USA

February 24, 2011 at 10:18 pm |
    • danel

I'm on ur side 100% I'm willing to buy a plane ticket for this young lady to get out of her country

February 24, 2011 at 10:58 pm |
  41. danel

America needs to act with all military forces

February 24, 2011 at 10:18 pm |
  42. hossein

why U.N do not do any things when Moslems are going to kill?
    If this man is crazy , sending trops and bring freedom for all of them same as Iran my homeland
    or give weapons to people to they bring this regime down

February 24, 2011 at 10:14 pm |
  43. Danny

Our World leaders are obsessed with greed and lost their morals!
    Let's focus here (United States), on eliminating special interest groups/contributions, elect someone to office for the salary it pays, and do the job we elected them for? We should as well have all politicians, refund all their remaining campaing funds/assets towards our national debt! and take a percentage out of a "fair tax", and divide equally among any canidate that chooses to run for a elected position. office

C'Mon Sense..Enough of the BS

February 24, 2011 at 10:13 pm |
  44. Liberal Texanist

Before the President or anyone else can really do anything to help the situation they need to try and get Americans and others out of harms way. Then it's game on. I wouldn't be surprised if satellites weren't trying to track him for another Reagan style bomb run. I feel for this woman as our nation among others have bought their oil cheap and in exchange, turned their heads to human rights abuses.

February 24, 2011 at 10:13 pm |
  45. Theerusha Govender

Are you sure it's bin Laden? or is someone trying to influence the world to pull away from supporting the Lybians in the streets by attaching a terrorists name to it

February 24, 2011 at 9:39 pm |
  46. Michelle Komjathy

Hi Anderson,

I would like to reach out to the young lady (whom you had a 2omin phone conversation)and make it known... THAT I HEAR YOUR VOICE LOUD AND CLEAR. I stand stunned regarding your strength,
    courage, passion,faith, poise and grace. My heart hurts for you and your people. I can not give you much other than my heart, my ear most importantly -YOU HAVE GOT MY ATTENTION AND SUPPORT. I grew up in Belfast, N, Ireland and moved to the States with my Familyin 1986. My dad and mom wanted a better life for my brothers and due to oppression from under the "Red Hand", which was Brittish rule. I do relate to your pain and despair.......PLEASE, PLEASE AND PLEASE stand strong and it can be in silence.... Everybody needs someone by their side and I am by your side. YOU HAVE ME AS A FRIEND AND I CARE ABOUT YOU AND YOUR PEOPLE'S FUTURE.

Your Concerned Friend (Michelle Komjathy) xoxo

Michelle Komjathy

February 24, 2011 at 9:37 pm |
  47. Michael Jones

I am live in Vancouver, B.C. Canada and am in my mid-thirties. Growing up in a modern Western City- it is hard for my generation to truly understand how basic life freedoms like speech and assembly are things that our friends in the Arab world are still dying for- even in the year 2011. Listening to Anderson talk to the young woman who is trapped in her home for the past 5 days brought me to tears. The pure, raw terror evident in her pleas has personalized the plight of the Libyan people for me. Living under the rule of a criminal, ruthless, and unstable regime for as long as they have is unfathomable. We can be certain that as a result of growing up in the shadow of Ghadhafi's regime- the people of Libya are showing strength and resolve in their character which will ultimately deliver them their deserved freedoms. I know the people of Canada have joined with you in supporting the movement towards these freedoms- not just in Libya, but across the Arab world. We truly are living in historical times. God Bless you all.

Michael Jones

February 24, 2011 at 9:37 pm |
  48. Annie Kate

Gadhafi is just blaming everything on everyone else – first the US and now bin Laden. He needs a mirror – I think in there he will find the true culprit.

February 24, 2011 at 9:26 pm |
  49. John

It is time the world does something to end this terror. Forget about oil. The USA imports most of it's oil from Canada not Libya. The President has to get off his butt and do something with the support of other countries.

February 24, 2011 at 9:18 pm |
  50. aliousalam

I would rather think the USA and Israel are the culprits, not ben laden. If it was him,he would have said something by now, praising the agitators.

February 24, 2011 at 9:13 pm |