February 24th, 2011

At a Madman's Mercy: Join the Live Chat

You'll hear from a woman tonight trapped in her Tripoli home. She's a supporter of the uprising and fears she could be killed at any moment. Plus, a stunning report about an alleged attempt by the U.S. military to basically brainwash senators to approve more troops and money for the war in Afghanistan. You'll hear from the man who wrote the article and a former military officer quoted in it.

Want more details on what covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: 360° Radar
  1. Kate

Anderson, Thank You. My respect for the way you do your job and deepest appreciation for bringing the facts and the human side of this story is outstanding. Please don't stop.

February 24, 2011 at 10:54 pm |
  2. Emily

@Patricia
    "In fact the military troops are not mandated to engage in hostilities, instead they are peace keeping forces."
    Yes, they do a great job bringing peace, etc to nations and places that need it. I think that Libya qualifies as that now, much like Rwanda once did. These people need medical assistance and more.

February 24, 2011 at 10:54 pm |
  3. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

lilly
    @ Megan

I heard Anderson tell Jon Stewart the other night that he wants to go to Libya!
    I think is to dangerous for him right now cause I'm sure Gadhafi just like Mubarak blame Anderson and CNN for the uprising!

Lilly
    Yes, I was worried about Amderson.... I felt scary for him to leave to Libya..... I am so helpless myself....... I agree.

February 24, 2011 at 10:54 pm |
  4. lisal -canada

where do the lines between transparency to the public and national security cross?

February 24, 2011 at 10:53 pm |
  5. Bev

It's horrifying to hear of the slaughter in Libya, how can we standby and allow a dictator to massacre these people (?) where is the military from the UN, America, Canada, Britain ect.. We are at a point now that I fear for the Americans on the ferry they are like sitting ducks, please pray for their safety.

February 24, 2011 at 10:53 pm |
  6. Starr, formerly known as vincent

@Casey: HI! Your point is well taken if the situation was reverse.

February 24, 2011 at 10:53 pm |
  7. Dr. Maurice Malin

I send my respect to the lady in Tripoli, risking her life for us here to inform anout the madman. Anderson you are doing a fantastic job

February 24, 2011 at 10:53 pm |
  8. Chi

Sorry to be rude. If the Libyan young ones ever were on drug, Gadhafi himself sets a perfect example for them to look up to in a harm way.

February 24, 2011 at 10:53 pm |
  9. Jo Ann, Ohio

@Ben, "what's to stop the US from turning a blind eye and letting whatever happen happen in Libya?"

Nothing, especially since the US has looked the other way for 41 years.

February 24, 2011 at 10:53 pm |
  10. shay

I really hope there is something done soon enough to stop this massacre in tripoli.. I had tears listening to the woman talk to AC.

February 24, 2011 at 10:52 pm |
  11. Chris

Yeah dude the psy-ops thing frightened me at first too, some crazy manhattan project thing etc...

It's really no different than if you asked one of your friends for a favor bc u knew he would do it for you lol..

Food for thought: Coca-cola hires anthropologists and creates mock convenience stores in "labs" to see what placement of a coke machine will make a person more inclined to go to/buy something lol..

February 24, 2011 at 10:52 pm |
  12. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

Sounds more like a typical public relations plan to me. Albeit, highly wasteful and overpriced.

February 24, 2011 at 10:52 pm |
  13. Ellie

please have her on the show when this is all over..... i'd love to see and meet her 🙂

February 24, 2011 at 10:52 pm |
  14. Anne

My heart goes out to the lady speaking from her home in Tripoli. What courage she has. I do not understand why the US, NATO, the UN, have essentially written the _people_ off in their struggle for freedom from a regime like Gaddafi's. I fear that this is consequent to oil production. There is little or no display of concern for the human factor in this. Something has to be done to help these people – represented so eloquently by this brave woman speaking through your show.

February 24, 2011 at 10:51 pm |
  15. Emily

@Jo Ann, Ohio
    "Don't we have people in our government who are responsible for knowing when something like this is brewing?"
    Sounds like the government(s) knew that this had been brewing for some time, yet chose to look the other way. (the last with Bush Jr. -after Qaddafi gave up his nukes, he was no longer on the radar)

February 24, 2011 at 10:50 pm |
  16. Hoda

Growing up watching all the pain and suffering Gaddafi has inflicted upon my family, relatives and all the Libyan people; what a relief to watch all the Libyan people coming together as one to defeat him. All the scary tactics he is utilizing right now only reinforce the fact that he is afraid.He is like a cornered animal and there is no telling what he will shock us with next.

February 24, 2011 at 10:49 pm |
  17. Patricia

As a former U.N. wife, I feel people misunderstand exactly what the U.N. stands for. There are 32 organizations under the U.N. flag including the ILO (labor organization) WHO, (world health), UNICEF, WFP, FAO, etc. etc. The U. N. is not only the diplomatic mission in New York, nor is it only military troops. In fact the military troops are not mandated to engage in hostilities, instead they are peace keeping forces.

February 24, 2011 at 10:49 pm |
  18. Sue R. Canton MI.

I have to agree with President Obama that the primary concern is to get the American people out of Lybia. I'm sure our government is watching this situation closely and that there are a lot of behind the scene talks about what action (if any) the U.S. can take.

February 24, 2011 at 10:49 pm |
  19. Karen, MN

I have never heard of psy-ops. What a crazy idea.

February 24, 2011 at 10:49 pm |
  20. Emma, South Africa

I am putting my country behind my name as I see there is already another Emma on the blog – I am saddened by what is happening in Libya but I do believe, as many others, that the West and Africa is to blame for this madman to be still in power because business and making money was put before morality regarding his oppressive regime. So yes, the blood of Libyans are indeed on the hands of all these countries that traded with him, including my own country! May God have mercy on Libya's people who just want basic freedom.

February 24, 2011 at 10:49 pm |
  21. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

Are we sure that it's not the Senators who are using subversive tactics to influence as opposed to the other way around?

February 24, 2011 at 10:49 pm |
  22. Krasi

I sure don't want to be in President Obama's shoes right about now. The truth is that only in certain cases can meddling in other countries' business help. In others, the situation can only get worse. The people of Libya need to be the vessels of the change to come. We can only assist. But those who will choose the future of Libya are the ones who live, work, and survive there. Because they care the most and because the impact will be truly on them. Oil prices are impacted here; lives are at stake there. What's more important?

February 24, 2011 at 10:49 pm |
  23. Carol

I am so moved by the woman in Tripoli who is afraid to leave her home because of the danger to her and others there. What I keep hearing is her plea for action by us. What can we do? I am praying for her and others there but I also hope that our U.S. leaders will be inspired with some right action.
    Thank you, Anderson, for bringing on Fouad Ajami and Ben Wedeman.

February 24, 2011 at 10:49 pm |
  24. Kristie

I know some people are saying Obama won't say for Gadhafi to step down until the Americans that are in Lybia are out, but what about all the Lybians that are dying in the mean time.

February 24, 2011 at 10:48 pm |
  25. Nancy

It seems like the American Gov. is damned if we do or damned if we don't, but what can we as American people do person to person? I'm willing to put up money to help if there is someone who can coordinate to make sure it gets to the right place. What do you think Mr. Cooper. If the government can't help, why can't we?

February 24, 2011 at 10:48 pm |
  26. Kari

My heart and prayers go out to this extremely intelligent and brave lady! Her willingness to share her feelings with the world is amazing especially with the risks she has exposed herself to. Thank you for carrying this interview and please convey to her that the world does indeed care and is praying for her and her people.

February 24, 2011 at 10:47 pm |
  27. Nina

U.S. military basically brainwashing senators to approve more troops and money for the war in Afghanistan. Yup, the Military Industrial Complex. What Eisenhower warned Americans in the 1950s

February 24, 2011 at 10:47 pm |
  28. Chris

From a purely political standpoint, the U.S. won't intervene because they can just let Ghaddafi ruin himself (metaphorically) with his own antics.

The only real concerns U.S. has if who will succeed him, and will libya become another somalia (failed state). If someone non-sympathetic to U.S comes into power, or the state fails, that leaves 1) problem to national security interest to israel 2) We buy oil from libya.

February 24, 2011 at 10:47 pm |
  29. nadine

People can help by re-posting twitter updates onto facebook as well as news and videos. Ask friends to get the word out so perhaps we can be a small part in helping the Libian people!

February 24, 2011 at 10:46 pm |
  30. Chi

You I believe not only women there feel scared. Men do too I guess. They must be much worried for the safety of their wives and children. Gadhafi is heartLESS.

February 24, 2011 at 10:46 pm |
  31. Bridget

Anderson listening to the woman in Libya you were speaking to makes my heart ache for her and all the people of Libya and the Middle East who just want their dignity back, who just want the freedom any human being deserves – the freedom to speak their mind, the freedom to vote for who they want to rule their country, the freedom to have access to clean water and food needed, the freedom to fare wages, the freedom to be who they choose to be. I want you to tell her tomorrow that the World is watching, that in ever word she speaks, we feel her pain, her sadness, her fear, and that i have been praying for her and for ALL the people of Libya and that every night before i go to sleep her words play over in my mind and i ask God to watch over them. Please let her know that someone out here is listening, that many someones are listening.

February 24, 2011 at 10:46 pm |
  32. Nathan

The brave Libyan woman most certainly is a hero. Hope CNN recognize her when it's safe to do so.

February 24, 2011 at 10:46 pm |
  33. christy

mr coopper i love you i think you really care about human being i also wish you run for president one day. others should lean from from you. cheers

February 24, 2011 at 10:45 pm |
  34. Jo Ann, Ohio

It is frightening to think that all these revolutions happened, but our government didn't have a clue.

February 24, 2011 at 10:45 pm |
  35. Emily

@Sue R. Canton MI.
    "It's so sad listening to her and I'm thankful that she was given air time. I pray for her safety."
    I agree! I hope that she sees & hears positive things in her future. (and is able to go outside.) Can you imagine fear keeping you indoors like that? I really hope that she doesn't give up.

February 24, 2011 at 10:45 pm |
  36. Kathy Rand

So sad for the woman and all of those we could not hear tonight in Tripoli. Such a desperate call for help. We must help quickly before it is too late. All speed and courage to the Libyans who can stop Qaddafi.

February 24, 2011 at 10:45 pm |
  37. Matty

The woman who just commented on air about not being able to get our people out of Libya quickly and everything getting deferred to the understaffed State Dept is absolutely right. I know someone whose two minor children were kidnapped overseas over three years ago by the mother and depending on whether there is a tsunami or hurricane in another country, determines if he even gets an answer to an email. Understaff means ineffective and when American lives are at stake this is unacceptable.

February 24, 2011 at 10:45 pm |
  38. Nina

What a fortuitous event if Qaddafi slipped on a banana and fell 5 stories on his head.

February 24, 2011 at 10:44 pm |
  39. Sharon Reiser

I feel so bad for the people of Libya. I have a rather different perspective. I lived in Libya when Gadafi was coming in. We were evacuated . My father worked for an Oil Co. I had just graduated from high school from Wheelus Air force base. Gadafi came in and destroyed everythung that Tripoli was.

I so hope the people of Libya with help from some outside sources can help get rid of Gadafi once and for all.

Living in tripoli were the best years of my life. I love the country and the people.

Sharon Reiser

February 24, 2011 at 10:44 pm |
  40. Starr, formerly known as vincent

Hello Anderson & Team 360.

Hello all bloggers & friends.

I am sorry i'm late on the blog. I heard the beginningof the show and my heart breaks to hear from the Libian people and their pain.

@Sharon H. – i saw your post to me late in the blog last night – too late to respond.
    Normally i would agree with you that we should not "gallop" into Any country. It's just that my heart breaks when i hear the Libian people and i believe the World would forgive us if we attempted to "rescue" them in conjunction with our Allies in Europe.

February 24, 2011 at 10:44 pm |
  41. Carolyn

Anderson and CNN -keep the Libyan crisis story alive for the world to see for as long as it takes to remove this evil man from the backs of his people! While governments sit by far too silently innocent Libyans are dying. Something must be done by countries who have the power to change this.

February 24, 2011 at 10:42 pm |
  42. Ashley M.

"The "Anne Frank" of Tripoli is indeed worthy of being celebratd. I nominate her as a CNN hero /"SHEro" for her insightful witnessing of an event that has captured the attention of humanity."
    I second this nomination. This woman has been brave beyond comprehension, and deserves to be recognized as such.

February 24, 2011 at 10:42 pm |
  43. Nancy in Oregon

That's right, Fran, the President IS in a difficult position...you don't go bullying and swaggering when some of your own are still in shooting range like the ferry full of Americans are.

February 24, 2011 at 10:42 pm |
  44. Kate

The Enterprise is in the area and it has the ability to provide whatever it takes to stop this.

February 24, 2011 at 10:42 pm |
  45. Gitta

I cannot even begin to imagine how the woman must feel. I commend her incredible courage and just hope her prayers will be answered, her people not forsaken because of oil...

February 24, 2011 at 10:42 pm |
  46. john-patrick

How would we react if our children would be massacred like this in Libya and nobody were there to help us,and all the other countries were more preoccupated to bring their people back than to stop that genocide ???

February 24, 2011 at 10:42 pm |
  47. Nathan

@Dalel, Freedom has never been free. Americans have seen their share of bloodshed for what we have.

February 24, 2011 at 10:41 pm |
  48. Emily

House of Qaddafi = House of Comedy
    (if only it were 'funny')

February 24, 2011 at 10:41 pm |
  49. Kristie

I hope Obama is watching!

February 24, 2011 at 10:41 pm |
  50. Ben

@Jo Ann, there are carriers in the US 6th fleet based out of Naples, which is not that far away...
    but once the Americans are finally evacuated, what's to stop the US from turning a blind eye and letting whatever happen happen in Libya?

February 24, 2011 at 10:41 pm |