February 24th, 2011

At a Madman's Mercy: Join the Live Chat

You'll hear from a woman tonight trapped in her Tripoli home. She's a supporter of the uprising and fears she could be killed at any moment. Plus, a stunning report about an alleged attempt by the U.S. military to basically brainwash senators to approve more troops and money for the war in Afghanistan. You'll hear from the man who wrote the article and a former military officer quoted in it.

Want more details on what covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: 360° Radar
  1. Chris

From a purely political standpoint the U.S. will not intervene. They will let Ghaddafi hang himself (metaphorically) so that they don't have to use resources. We don't have any national security interest there (they gave up nuke/nuke ambitions in 03 or 04) other than if someone crappy comes into power bc it's pretty close to israel.

That and we don't want to piss anyone off bc we buy oil from libya.

February 24, 2011 at 10:41 pm |
  2. Joe

Looks like Gaddafi bought the UN too.

February 24, 2011 at 10:41 pm |
  3. Nancy in Oregon

Good question, Anderson. What will it take, in the end, an insider assassin?

February 24, 2011 at 10:41 pm |
  4. christy

what is the word and us waiting for before they act. how many people are going to die bf obama act. is this not what the us want to remove this madman from power? pls let us join them to remove this demented man out of africa and this word including his son.

February 24, 2011 at 10:40 pm |
  5. Jan

Anderson thank you for your continued coverage on what we all hope for the people of Libya, freedom from 42 years of hell. I have been to Tripoli met many Libyans and I know the Libyan people need to succeed otherwise they continue to have nothing.

February 24, 2011 at 10:40 pm |
  6. Krasi

"Absurdity" sums it up.

February 24, 2011 at 10:40 pm |
  7. Ashley M.

@Tom in SC:

"If that was us in that situation, who would help us?"

From the news earlier, a comment was made that the President is being cautious because "Americans are a more inviting hostage target". Keeping that in mind, it make me wonder how many would actually -want- to help us, were we in the same situation. Kind of sad, actually.

February 24, 2011 at 10:40 pm |
  8. Emily

Ben Wedeman has been doing a great job explaining what has been going on. I hope that he's safe there in Libya.

February 24, 2011 at 10:40 pm |
  9. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

That's her opinion, they are working on the task to get the U.S. citizens out of Libya.

February 24, 2011 at 10:40 pm |
  10. lilly

@ Megan

I heard Anderson tell Jon Stewart the other night that he wants to go to Libya!
    I think is to dangerous for him right now cause I'm sure Gadhafi just like Mubarak blame Anderson and CNN for the uprising!

February 24, 2011 at 10:39 pm |
  11. Nancy in Oregon

He sure seems to be, Emily. I wonder what that game is, though? Because he's so sly, even if crazy, I have to wonder why he evokes bin Laden that way. I don't know why, myself, but I feel uneasy about it. I would not be surprised if he wanted to go out leaving some horrible scenario for others to deal with. Is he just really playing to the fear factor by evoking the name?

February 24, 2011 at 10:39 pm |
  12. Tom D - Florida Keys

Wow Anderson,

You really hit it out of the park with that interview!!

I have been a fan for a long time now, but that phone interview with the girl in Tripoli tops everything...

It brings tears to my eyes to hear a girl there that is so well spoken, so intelligent, that grasps the situation so well, and that speaks so humbly – even in the face of this horrific situation that she is experiencing...

I can only hope that the international community will come together to prevent this uprising from truly becoming a blood bath...

Keep up the good work!!
    Tom.

February 24, 2011 at 10:39 pm |
  13. Nasser Nabbus & Hadeel, Ayat, Hiba

Anderson, you are an awsome man, not because I am a Libyan/American but because I can see the honest passion you have for exposing the injustice and crimes of Gaddafi's crimes... thanks so much, the Libyan people will never forget that and CNN great coverage of Kaddafi's insanity – same for Fouad Ajami. Thanks Guys!

February 24, 2011 at 10:38 pm |
  14. Ellie

once all the countries have their citizens out, we're all in there

February 24, 2011 at 10:38 pm |
  15. Nina

@ Emily

Exactly! I have the same thoughts

February 24, 2011 at 10:38 pm |
  16. Marcia Lieberman

Please tell this woman that we do care, and some of us are trying everything we can to get our government to act. I send e-mail to President Obama every day, imploring him to take action. I have signed petitions, begging for action. I listen to this woman's voice, and I sit there shaking, trembling, yearning to help, but there is nothing more I can do. Please, let her and the others know.
    Marcia

February 24, 2011 at 10:38 pm |
  17. Dalel Khalil

Anderson, you never cease to amaze me! Your integrity as a journalist and human being is mind-blowing! As a fellow Arab-American female who knows this culture, I know what that girl and every other Libyan/Baharani/Egyptian is going through. Americans have no idea how good we have it! None. Freedom is paid with blood there. Believe me. Thank you SO much for allowing their voices to be heard and for not giving up! They need it so desperately. God Bless, Dalel

February 24, 2011 at 10:38 pm |
  18. Jo Ann, Ohio

It is difficult to believe that our government did not see any of this coming in time to encourage our citizens to leave.

February 24, 2011 at 10:37 pm |
  19. Andy

The "Anne Frank" of Tripoli is indeed worthy of being celebratd. I nominate her as a CNN hero /"SHEro" for her insightful witnessing of an event that has captured the attention of humanity. I hope the best for her and the people of Libiya.

February 24, 2011 at 10:37 pm |
  20. Ana Pasalagua

We are listening to this brave woman and demand action from the International Community stop buying his oil, congelen his bank accounts, we pray for her and all those brave people, innumerable victims of acute madness of MK. Thanks for your important coverage.

February 24, 2011 at 10:37 pm |
  21. CAROLYNJ

anderson, our embassy's over there is bad you've seen that for yourself.
    no help , no help.

February 24, 2011 at 10:37 pm |
  22. Nathan

Harrowing interview tonight. The Egyptian combat forces, along with those from the east of Libya, should take Tripoli with a no fly zone enforced by NATO. Anything less than that will lead to tragedy. These people need help, fast. Is there not at least one aircraft carrier in the Mediterranean? As for the ferry, an LCAC hovercraft should be sent to make a point on several fronts.

February 24, 2011 at 10:37 pm |
  23. Derek

I'm not sure if a no-fly zone would help. If, if the United Nations just had 100 troops on the ground this crisis and the killing of innocent people would cease.

February 24, 2011 at 10:36 pm |
  24. Nissrine

I am just starting to believe that the UN is worthless, aren't they supposed to help people in need? So much bloodshed in Libya what are we waiting for?

February 24, 2011 at 10:36 pm |
  25. Jo Ann, Ohio

@Mike, formerly from Syracuse, "A few carriers off the coast could enforce a no fly zone without even entering Libyan airspace."

How long do you think it would take them to get there from Bahrain?

February 24, 2011 at 10:36 pm |
  26. Chi

Hope the woman knows the world cares. Please, be safe.God bless her.

February 24, 2011 at 10:36 pm |
  27. Adil

Thanks Anderson,

your persistence to bring forth the Libyans' suffering and historic revolt gives us comfort that some American media forums still care about other "citizens of the world". Keep up the great reporting and the enlightening analysis of a complex humanitarian crisis. I still would like to see your program bring in Military strategists to shed light on the military options on the table; namely Nato,UN blue hats and of course an immediate NFZ mandate on all libyan air bases.

All the Best,

February 24, 2011 at 10:36 pm |
  28. Gerry

Is the world going to sit back and witness another holocaust?

February 24, 2011 at 10:36 pm |
  29. Kris

Anderson, please make a direct plea on the air to the Administration to do something! The Administration's response is shameful. How can the US and NATO not at least ban air flight over Libya? This brave woman from Libya is so right–we are watching but why, why are we not doing more?! I can't bear our inaction! Thank you for your exceptional coverage and guest.

February 24, 2011 at 10:36 pm |
  30. Nina

China had 30,000 people in Libya. I read that China is also struggling to get their people out of Libya too.

February 24, 2011 at 10:36 pm |
  31. Patricia

@Houda
    God Bless you and your family in Tripoli. Having lived in your country I know what this man is capable of. I'm afraid the only way Tripoli will be rid of him is from outside help, whether it is from fellow Libyans or from outside the country. It warms my heart to see the Tunisians are welcoming Libyan refugees.

February 24, 2011 at 10:35 pm |
  32. Rusty

My heart is fearful for these people. This woman is very brave for what she is doing. So sad to have to keep list of those dead. Where is Reagan mentality when you need it?

February 24, 2011 at 10:35 pm |
  33. Emily

@Nancy in Oregon,
    I think that Qaddafi is playing so nefarious game, where if he goes down, he's looking to take all of Libya with him. Some are worried as to who will fill that void that would be left in Libya as there are no political parties there, unlike the other countries. I hope that no one worse that Qaddafi would replace him. He really isn't stupid. (crazy as a fox is a great way to describe him)

February 24, 2011 at 10:35 pm |
  34. Emma

Eric, you are so right – what an indictment on the West!!

February 24, 2011 at 10:35 pm |
  35. Krishna

Hearing the brave lady from Tripoli on the phone on the live telecast, brought tears to me. For those of us who live in a relative free environment [eg., India] from birth, the heart wrenching plea from those who are not so fortunate is hard to ignore, probably hard to understand the depth of day to day restrictions on thoughts, movement and livelihood. The people on the ground in these countries [citizens] and those agencies who are giving them hope – my salute to you.

February 24, 2011 at 10:34 pm |
  36. Jo Ann, Ohio

It is always fascinating to listen to Professor Ajami and Ben Wedeman.

February 24, 2011 at 10:34 pm |
  37. Taryn

Anderson,
    The woman from Libya who called into the show is very articulate and provided great incite to the situation in Libya. She moved me to crank out emails to the White House and to my senators and representative asking them to right our wrongs in our past US foreign policy towards Libya by stepping in and doing something to help the people of Libya NOW!

February 24, 2011 at 10:34 pm |
  38. vasile

I was born in 1980 in a country called Romania. I got fairly enough good memories about what happened in the '89 Romanian revolution. And I perfectly recall how I stood -back then- in this woman's shoes. Today I can acknowledge better the aftermath of that military coup and what came after in Romania. I pray for the Libyan people to get Gaddafi alive, so he'll be put on trial, not to be shot as soon as possible, that nobody will know the truth!

February 24, 2011 at 10:34 pm |
  39. Andy, Europe

We have to send in NATO now! I am European and in my opinion we have to send in our old alliance with airforce, tanks and all. Set a precedence for other dictators. Imagine if this monster sprays Benghazi with Mustard Gas. How do we explain that to history?

February 24, 2011 at 10:34 pm |
  40. Steve

After listening to this woman and seeing all the killing of innocent people I think it's now time for President Obama to give the go ahead.

February 24, 2011 at 10:34 pm |
  41. Bonnie

At the end of the day, we are all humans, inhabiting this incredible planet. How can we not support those who are willing to give their lives for freedom, for the chance of a better future, for the hope that their children may live a better life? Anderson, continue your incredible work!

February 24, 2011 at 10:33 pm |
  42. Amal

United we stand
    patience is a virtue we are all praying for libyia and its people

February 24, 2011 at 10:33 pm |
  43. Nathan

Its time the world did something for LIBYA and other countries like this. I say walk our troops in there over throw this dictator ship and control the country. Use the oil reserves to bail out the Americans. Countries like this cannot live in peace, they need us (the rest of the world) to take care of there business. The Americans have spent hundreds of billions of dollars on fighting other peoples wars and look at where it get them!!!!!!!

February 24, 2011 at 10:33 pm |
  44. Krasi

True dictators find it hard to relinquish the power they have held for so long and as history has shown us, they are either caught and prosecuted for their crimes against humanity or are killed. Once the people in the country start protesting and the world starts watching, change is eventually going to come. Hope, however, that the price is not too high.

February 24, 2011 at 10:33 pm |
  45. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

February 24, 2011 at 10:33 pm |
  46. Joe

Why isn't anyone telling SaudiArabia or Egypt to intervene in Libya???? We don't need to send any troops to Libya. Let those people stand up for themselves. Stop whining and pick up a gun. Fight for your freedom.

February 24, 2011 at 10:33 pm |
  47. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

lilly
    Does anyone know if the American military is protecting the ferry's near Tripoli?

Yes, I have heard that maybe other team from London brought them home safety..... Also American military are protecting our people right now.

February 24, 2011 at 10:33 pm |
  48. Karen

The international community needs to put the clamps on that mad man. The desperation of that poor woman only reflects how badly they need help! Extra prayers for this to end soon.

February 24, 2011 at 10:33 pm |
  49. Nina

Evacuating is tricky! One does not want to draw too much attention to the process of evacuating.

February 24, 2011 at 10:32 pm |
  50. Jo Ann, Ohio

@Charles, "how can we as a species allow this to continue??????????"

It is even more unbelievable that the west has allowed it to continue for 41 years.

February 24, 2011 at 10:32 pm |