February 24th, 2011

At a Madman's Mercy: Join the Live Chat

You'll hear from a woman tonight trapped in her Tripoli home. She's a supporter of the uprising and fears she could be killed at any moment. Plus, a stunning report about an alleged attempt by the U.S. military to basically brainwash senators to approve more troops and money for the war in Afghanistan. You'll hear from the man who wrote the article and a former military officer quoted in it.

Want more details on what covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: 360° Radar
  1. Dylan

I hope that all this madness end within the next few day and that people in Libya can be free and walk out of their homes and not get shot at we need to do something about this!!

February 24, 2011 at 10:32 pm |
  2. Hoda

We hear this brave woman and support her cause. I am a Libyan American who sought political asylum more than thirty years ago when Qaddafi froze my Dad's accounts and seized all his assets.

February 24, 2011 at 10:32 pm |
  3. Nissrine

God I hope that the people of Libya get some help from somewhere. This is so sad, you feel helpless watching them suffer in the hands of a brutal murderer.

February 24, 2011 at 10:31 pm |
  4. Nina

Emily
    We want to get all the Americans out of Libya before we do anything. Or they would be targets of Qaddafi.

February 24, 2011 at 10:31 pm |
  5. Jo Ann, Ohio

If the west is waiting to get their citizens out before they intervene it may be too late.

February 24, 2011 at 10:30 pm |
  6. Emily

@Nina,
    I read that some planes that were looking to get citizens out, were not allowed 'insurance' into the area! (and the planes would not be allowed to land in the airport there) also, without insurance, the pilot could not fly the plane. (and it had nothing to do with the pilot, it was the area that they plane was flying.

February 24, 2011 at 10:30 pm |
  7. Nancy in Oregon

I really can't see the US just going in with guns blazing, Mike...when we have US citizens still there (on the ferry) and Libyan citizens caught in the crossfire. What can someone do to 'do something' hugely overt? I honestly don't know.

February 24, 2011 at 10:30 pm |
  8. maria montes

Hello anderson

I do not understand why president Obama Tell, Qaddafi that he need to resign. This women that your spoke on the telephone brake my heart. We need to help the Libya people . United States Most not let the continue of this blood bath. This man is crazy.

My prayers go to the libya people.

February 24, 2011 at 10:30 pm |
  9. Rob

Enough is enough! This has to stop now! If this lady gets killed, how do we live with ourselves????

February 24, 2011 at 10:30 pm |
  10. Jeremy Z

That phone call was very touching. She is risking her life to tell the world what is going on. The world is listening and does care...I hope something happens soon to get rid of Gaddafi because who knows what he will do next.

February 24, 2011 at 10:30 pm |
  11. Lori Davis

Oh Anderson, Thank you, the professor and reporters for continually being our eyes and ears for the fight for freedom in Libya. They are part of our human family and we cannot let history repeat itself – Rwanda. We all want to do something and we feel so helpless. I pray for our brothers and sisters in Libya. Our politicians have to please help Libya. Please do what is right for the people of Libya. Action.

February 24, 2011 at 10:29 pm |
  12. Ahmed

Fouad and Anderson thank you, your help with us in Egypt was very much appreciated, try to help Libya as well and god bless

February 24, 2011 at 10:29 pm |
  13. John

The world watched Rwanda's genocide. Are we going to witness it again in Libya? Shame on all of us for not putting pressure on our governments to take significant action.

February 24, 2011 at 10:29 pm |
  14. Barry

It is my hope that Gadafi meets the same demise as did Sadam.

February 24, 2011 at 10:28 pm |
  15. Hoda

I finally got through to my aunt in Tripoli today and our phone conversation was very brief. I could sense the fear in her voice. Please Help!

February 24, 2011 at 10:28 pm |
  16. Debbie Quigley

My heart is breaking – this woman is full of fear and she is thanking you, Anderson, for being patient with her and for listening. Your eyes are full of the pain she is expressing – how can those who can make a difference not do anything? This woman is only one voice for so many.

February 24, 2011 at 10:28 pm |
  17. Linda J Pavlos

Hi Anderson:

Thank you for your work. I see that Egypt is raising money to help these peoples fighting for their freedom. Where would we send money from the USA to help?
    Linda

February 24, 2011 at 10:28 pm |
  18. Charles

+1 John-patrick how can we as a species allow this to continue??????????

February 24, 2011 at 10:28 pm |
  19. Hadi Mettawa

Bab-El Eziziza, is where Qaddafi is, every one know that. Can't NATA/US impose a no fly zone.
    Please stop wasting time on tripes, I am a Swihile(Misrata) Born in Benghazi, with relative an in-lows
    from Zwarah to Darna.

Sorry for upprer case "NO FLY ZONE NOW"

To fouad ajami" God reward you for all you good in-sha-allah, and one day you can go back to Libya too"

February 24, 2011 at 10:28 pm |
  20. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

She give me scary heart attack, She want Anderson will come to Libya..... But not safe for Anderson...... That's so dangerous place there!

February 24, 2011 at 10:28 pm |
  21. Nancy in Oregon

I agree, Erika. There are still Americans waiting on a ferry boat there too....official statements can not be so inflammatory that they are put in direct jeopardy as retaliation. It's a very dicey situation. (I imagine the government wishes some people would not insert themselves into dangerous societies, sometimes, becoming automatic hostages when things boil over. It must get very frustrating.)

February 24, 2011 at 10:28 pm |
  22. Katy

I am having a hard time seeing that the United Nation is not going into Libya and stop this killing. Why is the world letting this happen to people who have been in prison for 42 yrs...Has any heard what the United Nation plan to do besides stop buying there oil...hello..

February 24, 2011 at 10:27 pm |
  23. Carolyn

Oh, my... to the woman on the phone call, please stay safe and stay strong... you are correct, enough is enough!!

February 24, 2011 at 10:27 pm |
  24. Kalil

Hello Anderson,
    I really feel sorry for the Libyan woman, she is completely right no body is taking an action against Gadhafi and his people.
    It is like everybody is afraid or don't want to make his hand dirty.

February 24, 2011 at 10:27 pm |
  25. Sue R. Canton MI.

@ Emily,, I agree with you. I'm glad she is able to talk to Anderson. I hope she knows that we are all listening to her and those who don't know a lot about Libya,,that they are learning. It's so sad listening to her and I'm thankful that she was given air time. I pray for her safety.

February 24, 2011 at 10:27 pm |
  26. Terry mutuku, Toronto

Very courageous woman, unbelievable. i hope she stays safe to continue telling the story to the world

February 24, 2011 at 10:27 pm |
  27. Kasie

I'm listening to the woman on the phone with you guys from Tripoli and I think we really need to do something. Cant you hear the fear in her voice? Who wouldnt help people in need of protection from a mad man? America needs to step in and help them out. Being an American is helping other nations out. Thats my belief and millions of other Americans.

February 24, 2011 at 10:27 pm |
  28. Emily

@Nada,
    I think that some countries were "waiting" while others just evacuated their citizens right away.

February 24, 2011 at 10:27 pm |
  29. Lori

Isn't everyone scared of Gadahfi? Who knows what he will do.

February 24, 2011 at 10:27 pm |
  30. Paul Nash

Excellent insight from Fouad, as always. For the commander in chief of Nato to say this is not a Nato problem is hypocrisy – Nato is, and has been, in Afghanistan for years now, and it is much further removed from the North Atlantic than Libya.

I'm sure a naval force/carrier group parked offshore from Tripoli and aerial patrols from Italy/Spain/Malta will let Ghaddafi and company know that they do not have a license for genocide. The mercenaries will dissappear very quickly if the cavalry arrives.

31. Kate

This is so hard to listen to and I will continue to hear this lady's voice long after your show ends tonight. I believe after the Americans are out of the harbor and safe, President Obama will be able to speak out and act without fear for their safety. I promise this woman I will send the White House an email tonight. I will everyday until this situation is resolved.

32. Nissrine

Anderson, thank you so much for your coverage on Libya.

33. Tom in SC

We as human beings cannot sit idley by while this plays out in Tripoli.
    If that was us in that situation, who would help us?

34. Julie

My heart breaks for this brave woman. I hope somehow it is conveyed to her what a difference she is making. I pray she knows her words are heard and make a huge difference to people all around the globe. I am praying for her safety. Her phrase tonight will stick with me, it really hit me hard how much we take for granted when she said Freedom is not easy, it is not cheap.

35. Ellie

WE HEAR YOU!!!!!! Hold on dear friend, I am writing my President, like you to plea to end this. We want you and your people to go outside and smell the flowers.

Your Friend,
    Ellie

I love her little voice calling him Mr. Anderson ...

36. Matty

Keep reporting as you are on international news! You put a human face to reality. Many of us that realize the world scene molds our country. It is clear that our hard-earned tax money is not going to help people in other countries but to make dictators rich while we suffer economically here in the US. Are our officials trying to get our money back and help those oppressed by the dictators? Are we not somewhat responsible for what is going on by the people we vote into office decade after decade? What can we do to help now! Are there any congressional wititn campaigns going on that we can join?

37. Karen

I wish that they could even just evacuate Tripoli and leave him to an empty city. Pray to God she is there to talk to tomorrow. Please if you do, LET HER KNOW WE CARE TERRIBLY! She must know that at least we do care. We hear her!

38. Paula, Colorado

Your interview with the woman trapped in her home is sad and chilling. What is disturbing is that Gadhafi eventually–most likely–will lose his position as leader–and will be clueless as to what went wrong. In the mean time, people continue to suffer.

39. Lori

That was quite a conversation.

40. Larissa

Thank you, Anderson, for covering this situation like this. Other people are focusing on the impact on gas prices and other trivial things instead of focusing on the terrified people who are not even sure if they will be alive tomorrow. Thank you so much.

41. Donna Sapp

What can we do? There are so many who would do something to help if we only knew what.

42. Janis

Tell her we know he is lying. There are people on twitter who are sending information every minute about what is going on. We know he is lying. We don't believe him.

43. Eric

As much as we should definitely take action. I think we have to be very careful about what kind of action we take. In Iraq, we toppled a dictator just like Gaddafi, killing his own people, but it slowly went from a sense of elation to a sense of frustration. A sense of animosity began to build up towards the Americans by the people of Iraq. We need to have the Libyans feel like they were the ones who led this revolution, not a western power. That the Libyans stood up for themselves and made a better home for both themselves and their children that they are proud of, not something they are given. We need to support, but do it wisely and from an extremity supportive standpoint, not direct action or intervention.

44. Chi

@Derek 10:12 Not yet any further moves by President Obama? How sad? What about the rest of world? All are busy getting their citizens out. Please, do it quick, then do sth concrete for Libyans because they are humans too. Please keep their house safe. They deserve a home on their own land.

45. Robert

Mr. Cooper,
    I heard the anguished voice of the woman that you are speaking to in Libya tonight... and for several nights prior. She is telling you over and over again what is happening in Libya. You must tell her of what is happening in the outside world to affect the help that she and others need to bring down Gadaffi. You must tell her that the entire world is trying to put together a rescue effort for the people of Libya's sake, including America and our allies. I also hope the Obama Administration is listening to your broadcast tonight. The president needs to know what she is saying and make haste to put together a coaliion (if he must do it that way) to help the people of Libya. This is a matter of international commpassion and is of the utmost urgency.

The tone in her voice is heartwrenching to say the least.

46. Nina

Emily
    I was in the middle of a war in a foreign country as a child. They first close the airports so no one can leave. I assume that happened in Libya. The country does not want the world to know so they try and prevent all evacuations. I was in this country for 3-4 weeks before my family and I could evacuate. It is just pandemonium during those times.

February 24, 2011 at 10:25 pm |
  47. Mei- AZ

Wow!! This woman is so brave!! I hope she can hold on, although for how long who knows?

When Anderson was covering the Egypt protests I felt excited for the people of Egypt, for the people of Libya I feel so sad and helpless. What can be done?

February 24, 2011 at 10:25 pm |
  48. Dennis J Lajoie

Please let's at least do a no fly zone with US planes. Let the people know that we support them.

February 24, 2011 at 10:25 pm |
  49. Allan

Anderson, isn't it incredible that the spokesperson of the moment for all Libyans is an unamed woman hiding in her home and broadcasting world wide thanks to your great show? When the cameras are permitted all you see is wall to wall men. Because of the middle east culture the woman really is second class, beaten, harrassed, raped at will, yet today she speaks for all of Libya.

February 24, 2011 at 10:25 pm |
  50. Shelly Duren

I fear this woman's phone interview has put her life in jeopardy. President Obama needs to step up immediately and take action. This is a tipping point for a democratic future in the middle east.

February 24, 2011 at 10:25 pm |