February 24th, 2011

At a Madman's Mercy: Join the Live Chat

You'll hear from a woman tonight trapped in her Tripoli home. She's a supporter of the uprising and fears she could be killed at any moment. Plus, a stunning report about an alleged attempt by the U.S. military to basically brainwash senators to approve more troops and money for the war in Afghanistan. You'll hear from the man who wrote the article and a former military officer quoted in it.

Want more details on what covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: 360° Radar
  1. Jo Ann, Ohio

How did CNN find this woman? Have they been able to confirm that she is in Libya? The connection sounds almost too clear.

February 24, 2011 at 10:15 pm |
  2. Lisa in Louisville

This makes my heart sick. I can't imagine living such a nightmare. How much blood do we have on our hands for looking the other way for 30 years in order to keep the oil flowing to the United States? I don't want to pay $5/gallon for gasoline for my car, but I can't sit here and listen to the terror and anger in this woman's voice, see the video clips of Ghadaffi spewing lies and talking like a mad man,see the violence in the streets and keep looking the other way.

February 24, 2011 at 10:15 pm |
  3. Karen, MN

It is very frustrating to sit by and watch such a horrible event happen. I feel like all we can do is pray.

February 24, 2011 at 10:14 pm |
  4. Linda

I have sent and an email to the President pleading with him to help make Libya a no fly zone. It's the very least we can do to help this terrified but brave woman and her fellow Libyans.

February 24, 2011 at 10:14 pm |
  5. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Yes, it is sad listen to her and not knowing how can we help our fellow man? Only God knows for sure!

February 24, 2011 at 10:14 pm |
  6. Emily

@Sue R. Canton MI.
    "I hope that she is going to be OK."
    I think that it's great that Anderson was talking with her. Her emotional/mental state is very fragile. That's very frightening for me to hear. Glad that she had Anderson to express that to.

February 24, 2011 at 10:14 pm |
  7. Larissa

My heart goes out to this woman and everyone else who is in such grave danger right now. I know that they are saying that we need to take action because we are only listening; however, I think for many of us, we do not know how to take action besides spreading the word. I would like to believe that if we knew how to take action, we would act in order to protect all in danger right now.

February 24, 2011 at 10:14 pm |
  8. Eve

Where is Obama? If he can't handle this crisis in Lybia dosen't he have any advisors that can handle this nightmare. We can send bombs to Pakistan, why not Tripoli and knock this dictator out NOW !!!

February 24, 2011 at 10:13 pm |
  9. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Wow!!!!!! That's so scary thought my mind.... I care about woman and Anderson is right. we are care about people to help....... Oh boy!!!!

February 24, 2011 at 10:13 pm |
  10. Alisa Carol Dyson

I have followed you for some years now! The conversation that you had with the women tonight, broke my heart! I am now in tears, my soul, my core being hurts for Libya! I just want to thank you for keeping us informed! My heart is breaking.......

February 24, 2011 at 10:13 pm |
  11. Karen

Have we really "written off this crisis"? I don't see that?

February 24, 2011 at 10:13 pm |
  12. Nina

Thank You Anderson for having Fouad Ajami on the show, he has so much knowledge and brings a wealth of information to your program.

February 24, 2011 at 10:13 pm |
  13. Reid I. Allen

Obama! Send the US Marines to the "shores of Tripoli" and help these people!

Your inaction is a disgrace to America.

February 24, 2011 at 10:13 pm |
  14. Souad

Hope the free nations will do something.this women is risking her life.she can be identified from her voice.there are not many women which have studied abroad.Oh,my,she could be easily identified.I pray for her and for all the people of libya.

February 24, 2011 at 10:12 pm |
  15. Carolyn

Anderson... you are so right... nothing is normal in Tripoli.

February 24, 2011 at 10:12 pm |
  16. Derek

This is truly a sad case of the United States Government failure to act. I am sicken of the images and I beg President Obama to do something NOW. Libya need us NOW

February 24, 2011 at 10:12 pm |
  17. Karen

This is so incredibly heartbreaking. I feel so bad for them, for her. There seems so little we can really do.

February 24, 2011 at 10:11 pm |
  18. Adel, Denver

Good luck with translation, I am Libyan I had hard time understanding his massage. He does what Hitler did. Everyday tens are killed that is what we hear from peoples in Libyan hospitals.
    Int. community should act sooner better than later. He has tons of money that can buy all poor Africans to just kill.

February 24, 2011 at 10:11 pm |
  19. Emily

@Nina,
    Many were evacuated from there today. To Spain, Malta, Italy, etc. (Americans, Canadians, & British)

February 24, 2011 at 10:11 pm |
  20. Sue R. Canton MI.

The fear thats in the voice of the lady in this video is so sad to listen to. She is so brave to be talking to Anderson on live TV. I hope that she is going to be OK.

February 24, 2011 at 10:11 pm |
  21. Carolyn

To the brave woman on the phone call... I care and so many people care, all around the world... hold on... please hold on.

February 24, 2011 at 10:11 pm |
  22. Ashley M.

Ashley M. from Atlanta, GA:

My eyes are tear-filled for this poor woman on the phone. I"m torn between my belief that the U.S. has its own issues to handle without putting itself in other countries to deal with those problems as well and my urge to want to help people like this woman on the phone. You definitely can hear the fear and pain in her voice. Please tell her we feel for her, and someone call the President and tell him to step up!

February 24, 2011 at 10:10 pm |
  23. carol gibson

Re Libya's bid for democratization, none of us can be there to help them, but perhaps by not complaining about the cost of gasoline going up, that is one small way we can help.

February 24, 2011 at 10:10 pm |
  24. Emily

Libya is now a fractured country from what I've read, and Tripoli is firmly in the evil grasp of Qaddafi.

February 24, 2011 at 10:10 pm |
  25. Nina

President Obama like presidents of other countries must do the dance with Qaddafi until all our people are safe and out of Libya.

February 24, 2011 at 10:09 pm |
  26. lilly

How sad that she wonders wether or not we care, My thoughts and prayers are with her and her people. I'm getting teary eye just hearing her.

February 24, 2011 at 10:09 pm |
  27. CAROLYNJ

hello anderson, and staff..
    don't you dare go soft hearted and go over there...
    i feel her pain.

February 24, 2011 at 10:09 pm |
  28. Janis

Hello everyone.

I wish I could reach out through all this and grab them and put them someplace safe. I wish Superman really did exist. Tears for her and her people.

I believe it will be over soon. Ghadafi will take his own life soon. He's on a rampage before his end. Stay strong, it will be over soon.

February 24, 2011 at 10:08 pm |
  29. Dan

Great reporting Anderson! My heart goes out to the lady calling from Tripoli. I enjoy your coverage and wish others would give it the same gravity as yourself and CNN. These are historic events and wish other Americans would appreciate the uprising and celebrate others who rebel against dictators and kings. Was it so long ago we did the same?

Regards,
    Dan

February 24, 2011 at 10:07 pm |
  30. Nancy in Oregon

What CAN someone else do, I wonder.

February 24, 2011 at 10:07 pm |
  31. Emily

"Action speaks louder than words" is what I think this lady is saying!

February 24, 2011 at 10:07 pm |
  32. Sue R. Canton MI.

Good evening everyone.
    Looking forward to the show tonight.

Wow,, the situation in Lybia is getting so bad. I fear for the safety of all the people.

February 24, 2011 at 10:06 pm |
  33. Nina

WOW "we are dying" She is requesting help! It is so heart-wrenching to her her pleas....

February 24, 2011 at 10:06 pm |
  34. Nancy in Oregon

That's what I wonder, Emily. Why is he evoking bin Laden? Is he crazy like a fox in some sense?

February 24, 2011 at 10:06 pm |
  35. Karen, MN

Hi Anderson and everyone,
    The lady on the phone is in my prayers.

February 24, 2011 at 10:06 pm |
  36. Kenya

We really have to do something!

February 24, 2011 at 10:06 pm |
  37. Nina

Good statement Anderson by bringing out her sadness. She is so brave. I am continued to be amazed.

Qaddafi has subjugated his people for 42 years. He is a true tyrant and psychopath!!

February 24, 2011 at 10:05 pm |
  38. Nancy in Oregon

Good evening. I cannot imagine how this woman must feel, trapped in her own house.

February 24, 2011 at 10:05 pm |
  39. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

That is so outrage from Mommar Gadhafi's comment to say!!!!!! I also strong disagree with him!

February 24, 2011 at 10:04 pm |
  40. lisal -canada

is the arabic voice supposed to be gadhafi? it doesn't sound like it – it is talking WAY faster than the other speech? and is the pitch even the same?

February 24, 2011 at 10:03 pm |
  41. Emily

The fact that he's blaming bin Laden...he's not stupid...even though he sounds it. I wonder what kind of game he's playing.

February 24, 2011 at 10:03 pm |
  42. Nina

I honor the Libyans in their efforts to recapture their country from Qaddafi’s nefarious regime. They are incredibly brave and courageous.

February 24, 2011 at 10:02 pm |
  43. lilly

good evening everyone,

this poor woman to to be scared for her life but still not afraid to speak.

February 24, 2011 at 10:02 pm |
  44. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    Hi! It's great to see you on.
    I pray the people in Tripoli do remain safe.

February 24, 2011 at 10:02 pm |
  45. Lori

Hello Anderson. Hi Everyone. Good evening.

February 24, 2011 at 10:01 pm |
  46. Emily

Good evening Anderson, Isha, 360°Team, Jo Ann, Mike, Megan, Nicole, Nancy, Gloria, Starr, Nina, & Bloggers.
    I can't imagine being afraid to leave my house for 5 days.(& counting)

February 24, 2011 at 10:01 pm |
  47. Sean

Amazing coverage as always Anderson 🙂 Just about to watch this interview.

February 24, 2011 at 10:01 pm |
  48. Nina

Good Evening Anderson, Team 360 and everyone!

Egyptians have raised equivalent to $30,000 American dollars toward food, water and blankets for their Libyan neighbors. How honorable and a delight to see the nice and caring side of human nature.

February 24, 2011 at 10:01 pm |
  49. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Helloooo Anderson, Megan, Isha, Jane, Martina, Nicole, Kim, Emily, Gloria, Mike, Casey, Milan, Vivan, Gabriela, Cessy, Paula, Isabel, David-Indiana, JoAnn, Monica, Kathy, Jane, Gayle, Renee, Caroline, (Danie), Lori, (Adelaide), Heather, BettyAnn, Starr, Sharon, A. Smith, Devin, Karin, Dulcie, Michael, Karen, Miranda, Sree, Nancy, Sue, Kenya, Libby, Nina, Samantha, Chi, Jana, Karyn, others and my friend Facebook/Twitter Bloggers!!!!
    I am worried about woman..... my breaking heart for her safety at home..... Anderson, She is so brave what she have to do something to helpless!!!!! 😦

February 24, 2011 at 10:00 pm |
  50. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Good Evening Everyone! Greetings!

February 24, 2011 at 10:00 pm |