February 23rd, 2011

Libya Uprising: Join the Live Chat

Tonight as Americans try to flee on board a ferry there are reports that Moammar Gadhafi has unleashed not just mercenaries, but young thugs, letting them loose in the capital, armed with machetes and guns.
Plus, New York Times columnist Thomas Friedman on why the uprisings sweeping the Arab world should be a wake up call for the Untied States and more.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Emily

@Nina,
    "I just love the Ridiculist! we all need a good laugh considering what is happening in the world these days... Thank You Anderson"

I agree with you, Nina!
    Good night everyone!

February 23, 2011 at 10:59 pm |
  2. Uma, in Liverpool, UK

Prayers for the team and the good people in danger. Good night.

February 23, 2011 at 10:59 pm |
  3. Karen, MN

Good night. Sleep tight and pleasant dreams to you. With a wish and a prayer that every dream comes true.

February 23, 2011 at 10:59 pm |
  4. Jo Ann, Ohio

Good night Emily, Mike, Starr, Nicole, Nancy in Oregon, Casey, and Megan.

February 23, 2011 at 10:59 pm |
  5. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

"Some people may be tired of hearing about this now, but when it starts to impact our lives here in the U.S. they will wish they had paid attention."

Absolutely. It annoys me that we (as a group) only seem to pay attention to how many cents per gallon we can save by driving another 3 miles (our general idea of education on foreign relations).

February 23, 2011 at 10:58 pm |
  6. Lori

Good night Anderson and Everyone! Sweet peaceful dreams.

February 23, 2011 at 10:58 pm |
  7. Kaytee

@Nina
    They do it every night, no matter what the topic is.

February 23, 2011 at 10:58 pm |
  8. cicly

good ome anderson! thank you

February 23, 2011 at 10:57 pm |
  9. Sharon Hastings

Good night everyone. Great blog tonight. Anderson, you ever think about going on Dancing with the Stars??? I know you live to dance!

February 23, 2011 at 10:57 pm |
  10. PeterCSM

I'm still trying to figure out how celebrities like Lionel Richie, Usher, Mariah Carey, and Beyonce reconcile in their heads that's alright to perform for a dictator and his sons in the country they're oppressing.

I just heard Mr. Cooper say he had gotten comments and tweets of viewers complaining that they know a lot is happening in the Middle East but stuff is happening here in the U.S. too. No disrespect to those folks but that point of view/complaint is silly. These events WILL affect you. And even if they didn't, this is a pretty epic series of events. So if news on the latest budget debates and senate scandals aren't the top story for a bit I think you can forgive the news programmers.

February 23, 2011 at 10:57 pm |
  11. Erin

Tom Freeman is correct. I for one understand that the U.S. people will have negative economic impacts from Egypt and Middle East uprisings(revolution). I am amazed with the wonder and horror of history in the making. The strength of the people fighting for their lives, future and dignity is humbling. As a U.S. citizen I am behind any country that fights for it's freedom. I accept whatever negative impact this has for me personally. The freedom we enjoy today was won the same way

February 23, 2011 at 10:57 pm |
  12. Lori

No one takes her seriously anyway.

February 23, 2011 at 10:57 pm |
  13. marcelle

Peace, and prosperity to all the brave.

February 23, 2011 at 10:57 pm |
  14. Joe Healy

This needs to be supported. Where is the Navy? Get a carrrier group off the coast and PROTECT the uprising. Stop the genocide against the people. This is critical to avoid a slaughter! Lead Mr. President .... stand for freedom and self determination.
    G

February 23, 2011 at 10:57 pm |
  15. Aileen

We need to give President Obama time to make plans on how to tackle the Ghadifi regime without doing harm to Libya citizens and its resources. We must realize that Americans are still in the country, therefore sending harsh messages or threats can jeopardze not only Libyans but also the Americans presently in the country. I have faith in President Obama and he will do the right thing – (get rid of Ghadfi)

February 23, 2011 at 10:57 pm |
  16. Kathy Rand

Agree that these revolutions in the Arab world are major stories that will affect all of us for years to come. Please keep covering this! We should all be bearing witness to the bravery of the people and the brutality of the dictators. We all have a responsibility to do what we can to help.

February 23, 2011 at 10:57 pm |
  17. Karen, MN

I would love to see Christine on dancing with the stars. It would be great TV!

February 23, 2011 at 10:57 pm |
  18. Nina

Please continue with the reporting of Libya and middle east! You are doing a wonderful job! Thank You

Good night Anderson Team 360 and everyone

February 23, 2011 at 10:57 pm |
  19. Krasi

That last one was funny. I needed that:) Thanks Anderson and good night!

February 23, 2011 at 10:56 pm |
  20. Ayla Soto

Anderson,
    Thank you for being a voice for the oppressed. My group of friends (30's – 40's) have a new level of respect for you and your show. It really is the story of the decade and you were destined to tell it in the western media.

February 23, 2011 at 10:56 pm |
  21. Uma, in Liverpool, UK

Petrochemicals are 'combat-minerals'. See the combat on the screen? Hear the talk about oil prices? There's your proof.

February 23, 2011 at 10:56 pm |
  22. sharon fisher

I am feeling ill and ashamed for what is going on in Libya. Our lifestyle which requires a need for gas has contributed to the plight of the Libyian people. I had no idea about the concessions we have given. I a now outraged at our collective selfishness at the expense of these people.

February 23, 2011 at 10:56 pm |
  23. lisal -canada

ya know, i highly doubt that i would ever get an invite to do the dancin' with the stars thing, but it would be a flat-out "no thankyou" (no need to say that twice)

have a great evening!

February 23, 2011 at 10:56 pm |
  24. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Wow! my heart goes out to New Zealand, That is so horrible situation there!!!! My thoughts & prayers with them!

Good night Anderson, Megan, Isha, Jane, Martina, Nicole, Kim, Emily, Gloria, Mike, Casey, Milan, Vivan, Gabriela, Cessy, Paula, Isabel, David-Indiana, JoAnn, Monica, Kathy, Jane, Gayle, Renee, Caroline, (Danie), Lori, (Adelaide), Heather, BettyAnn, Starr, Sharon, A. Smith, Devin, Karin, Dulcie, Michael, Karen, Miranda, Sree, Nancy, Sue, Kenya, Libby, Nina, Samantha, Jana, Chi, Karyn, others and my friend Twitter/Facebook Bloggers!!!!
    See you tomorrow night, Have a great night & Sleep tight everyone!!!
    That's so silly I like ridiculist Christine O'Donnell, LOL! So funny Anderson, Thanks Anderson!!!! 😀

Anderson,
    Have a great/good night, Tight sleep & rest,
    See you tomorrow night!

February 23, 2011 at 10:56 pm |
  25. Carolyn

The Human Rights of all people, everywhere, is so very important... Good Night, Everyone!!

February 23, 2011 at 10:56 pm |
  26. Sandra

Yes, yes, Anderson this is one of the great stories of our life! Thank you for keeping the focus on the ME every night. I've been really moved & awed all along. The situation in Libya is appalling. As Tom Friedman said it's time to review our dependence on oil. Thank you Ben Wedeman – very moving footage tonight.

February 23, 2011 at 10:56 pm |
  27. Jo Ann, Ohio

I would like to thank Ben Wedeman again for his excellent reporting from Libya. I can appreciate the dangerous situation he is in and I worry for his safety. Take care Ben!

February 23, 2011 at 10:56 pm |