February 18th, 2011

New Video of Crackdown: Join the Live Chat

Breaking News tonight on 360°. We have shocking evidence of peaceful protesters gunned down in Bahrain. All of it caught on tape. Plus, thousands of protesters converge on Wisconsin's state capital this Friday, like other days. Will their anger push the governor to drop his proposal to cut benefits for public workers, including their collective bargaining rights? We'll have a live report from Madison and talk it over with our political panel.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Anderson & Isha,
    Yeah!!! I love biscuit and cookies..... Yay!!!!!
    Anderson,
    You're way so funny!!!!! LOL!!!

February 18, 2011 at 10:44 pm |
  2. Sandra

Yes there are things happening in the US & elsewhere, but the unrest in the ME is monumental & their stories deserve to be told. Anderson I appreciate your focus on this region, please keep it up! Thank you.

February 18, 2011 at 10:43 pm |
  3. Emily

That story gives new meaning to the phrase, "I have a splitting headache". OUCH!

February 18, 2011 at 10:43 pm |
  4. Ekaloa

thats a good one Aisha ur biscuit, my cookie

February 18, 2011 at 10:43 pm |
  5. Nissrine

I think that we as Americans should make our government boycott all these brutal regimes if we really believe in democracy. We should stand up for all those who are oppressed and killed because they want freedom.

February 18, 2011 at 10:43 pm |
  6. S tarr, formerly known as vincent

Therer Has to be a way to "negotiate" on both sideds.
    I get that the Wisconcin (like many other state), but i believe that the Gov. most certainly could meet with the demonstrators and work something out.

If we are not careful, we will have rebellions like the Arab countries.

February 18, 2011 at 10:42 pm |
  7. Abdul

Thank You Thank You Anderson Cooper, It is about time that the media is getting involved with what is happening in Libya. I am a Libyan American and the Libyan you spoke with is 100% accurate and we need to throw this maniac gaddafi out. Keep up the great work Anderson. The world needs to know about the massacres in Libya

February 18, 2011 at 10:42 pm |
  8. Nina

Thank You Democratic Senators for leaving the state of Wisconsin!

February 18, 2011 at 10:42 pm |
  9. Maha from Libya

Anderson,you are my HERO! Thank you for talking to Moftah & geting his openion which 100% of true Libyan agree with. Please continue to cover our story. Gadafi is no Moubark & no Ben-ali he is insane & ,as Dr.Ajami said, is welling to kill all Libyan before leaving!!

February 18, 2011 at 10:42 pm |
  10. sami allen

thank you god bless you for your support to the peopl of bahrin even aljazira arabic dose not report the real story about bahrin beacause qatar support the king

February 18, 2011 at 10:41 pm |
  11. lisal -canada

cookies? biscuits? now i'm just really really hungry

February 18, 2011 at 10:41 pm |
  12. Janet W.

CNN has given the best consistent coverage of the history-making events in the Middle East.

Thank you Anderson, for your dedication to top coverage. Thank you for giving a voice to Mr. Moftah's moving account of the situation.

Please keep this vital information coming!

February 18, 2011 at 10:41 pm |
  13. Ghada

Dear Mr. Cooper,

Thank you so much for your coverage of Libya! You truly encompass the American spirit of democracy and standing for human rights. Please keep up the reporting and talk to other journalists about the importance of this ethical reporting in countries with such oppressive regimes that do not allow any free press or international journalists. Thanks again and God bless.

February 18, 2011 at 10:41 pm |
  14. Carol (Canada)

I am watching from Canada, and I am discusted at what I am seeing. The world is watching and those of us who care can do nothing but sit by and see these horribe rulers slaughter their own people, who only want the simple pleasure of having freedom. CNN don't stop reporting these actions, they can no longer hide their sins. Good job Anderson.

February 18, 2011 at 10:41 pm |
  15. Janis

Headache – Ouww!!!!

February 18, 2011 at 10:41 pm |
  16. Emily

@Gillian McCrostie
    "How can we help?"
    Have you thought about e-mailing the United Nations Secretariat?
    Or the International Court of Justice in The Hague? etc.

February 18, 2011 at 10:41 pm |
  17. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

GO Wisconsin!!!!!! I agree with people!!!

February 18, 2011 at 10:40 pm |
  18. Rosie

Thanks Anderson for all you do to report the news and the truth. Your good work is very much appreciated!

February 18, 2011 at 10:40 pm |
  19. lisal -canada

unions are an interesting beast – without them in existence at all, a lot of positive progress and fairness for workers night not exist – they provide a function – i remember being shocked the first time i saw someone being called a "scab" for crossing the picket line – and some of the wages some union members make are quite out of line when you look at other segments of the working population. i do not like that a person cannot opt out of joining a union, though – if you want certain jobs you don't have a choice

February 18, 2011 at 10:40 pm |
  20. Firouzeh

Hi Anderson,
    Thank you for all the work you are doing and keep us informed...

February 18, 2011 at 10:40 pm |
  21. Martha AR

The WI budget dispute in reference to educators is another attempt to keep teachers demoralized and try to balance their budget on the backs of education. I don't know what percentage of health benefits they pay in WI but they may have to suck that up for awhile. Here I have to applaud our state of AR often thought to be 'backward' but we are one in 5 not currently is fiscal distress.

February 18, 2011 at 10:40 pm |
  22. Karen, MN

I think I need to drive to Madison and support our teacher, police and firefighters.

23. maha

Thank you Anderson for continuing to share with us here in the States what is going on in the middle east. If it weren't for the media coverage I really don't think Mubarak would have stepped down. I think that you and all of the other reporters played a very important roll in egypt's history. Thank you and thank goodness for modern day technology.

24. Sharon Hastings

I did catch Wisconsin's governor making his statement today. He didn't seem particularly moved by the protest besides acknowledging their right to protest. Now the unions want to negotiate but the governor scoffed at that. Some felt he would back off but that doesn't seem to be the case.

25. Alla

Thanks so much for your coverage on Libya, Bahrain, and Yemen!

26. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

And they were the ones who put them in offices!

27. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

I think pensions are a pipe dream. Time for people to stop counting on them. I fully expect (more) pensions to disappear as the clock ticks (in all businesses).

28. Nicole Netherlands

@ Carl, you;re statement is true, but the fact is that the U.S. economy and most Western economy's need oil.
    As long as we do not demand "our" leaders to put focus on what the planet and =all= (!)it's people and inhabitants (the animals) need, less oil, less poverty and more democracy and clean energy...
    Governments are forced to protect these regimes...
    That's the truth unfortunately.

And to everyone in the US, yes there is a lot of important U.S news, but if this all goes wrong in the middle east, we all over the world have a problem with higher oil and food prices.

29. Jo Ann, Ohio

No matter what they say to try and justify their actions, the teachers are hurting the students.

30. Terry and Carolyn Wall

Anderson,

We want to express our admiration for your courage in covering the uprising in Egypt. Also thank you for keeping the American public informed about the situation in the Middle East. We do not agree with the comment(s) about not covering the ongoing demonstrations for freedom by the people of this region.

At times, Americans can take their freedom
    for granted or chose not to be more aware of what other people of the world have to endure in the name of basic human rights.

Thank you again for all you are doing.

Terry and Carolyn Wall

31. Janis

Iran will be free with patience.

32. Nar

An absolute tragedy is unfolding in Libya, and because of the lack of reports on the ground, the Libyan people are left facing bullets without any witnesses to this misery.
    Please keep covering as much as you can, we want the truth to come out

Thanks Anderson

33. Nina

Where is all the millions possibly billions of dollars from all public employees taken out of their paychecks over the years for their retirements?

34. Azuka

what an awfull videos

February 18, 2011 at 10:38 pm |
  35. Jo Ann, Ohio

I hope Governor Walker holds his ground against the absent Democrats and the bully unions.

February 18, 2011 at 10:38 pm |
  36. John in Dallas

Anderson, great show tonight . . . keep up the great work, you are giving life to a movement, yes, I would love to know what is going on in this country and can get it all day on other venues. No one else is giving these dear opressed people a voice toward their freedom . . . you are a key part of this world revolution. Stay the course! Keep giving them a voice . . Thank you for letting the world know . . . you are our hero Anderson!

February 18, 2011 at 10:38 pm |
  37. lilly

I can't understand why they want to give cut teacher's benefits but the elective officials wont do the same. Has the governor cut his benefits?

February 18, 2011 at 10:38 pm |
  38. Saifi

Anderson – A decade from now, when we look at this epoch, we will look at your coverage as the beacon that brought out the truth and changed the history of the mid-east nations. Please ask for accountability from our government about their support for the brutal governments in Bahrain/Libya. The arab people's struggle for freedom and their readiness to give up their lives sounds too much like our own freedom struggle almost two centuries ago. Now, your responsibility is not just to US but to the whole world! Please stay on with your coverage.

February 18, 2011 at 10:38 pm |
  39. FGagne (Canada)

@carl
    I am flabergasted and happily suprised to see that there are americans raising their voice about the US policies of silence for Petrol and Navy/Military bases. I agree with everything you are saying and the sad thing about this is that Canada, France, England and other countries are slleping in the same bed.
    Petrol and Military bases are more important that people's freedom.

February 18, 2011 at 10:38 pm |
  40. Carol SC

Hello Anderson,

The caller from Libya is very brave. As I sit here I am FREE and SAFE because of my GOVERNMENT. We,The USA talk about democracy and I pray for the people of the world to all know and feel our freedom and security. Anderson thank you getting the facts to us. I am sure you would rather be on location, please know we need you to be safe and remember how important your reporting is. I will pray for the brave caller's future that he will know freedom

February 18, 2011 at 10:38 pm |
  41. Nina

I am delighted to see 40,000 peaceful protesters in the Wisconsin capitol, because the state Republican Senators desire to break the Public Employee Unions.
    What many people do not know is that public employees have always accepted lower wages sometimes up to 50% less in lieu of good medical benefits and retirement. So now many have existed on a much lower income for years only to have what had been promised “ripped” away.

February 18, 2011 at 10:37 pm |
  42. Pat

Yes, America has severe problems. People cause the problems; people can solve the problems. Many Americans want to know the situation in the Middle East. It is an opportunity to really appreciate and be grateful for the people who established Democracy and Freedom in America. Truth in the human heart and freedom from fear and tyranny will prevail.

February 18, 2011 at 10:37 pm |
  43. Karen, MN

I grew up in Wisconsin. My parents were teacher and my sister and I were all teachers. I no longer teach, but I’m still frustrated that union right could be taken away. My Dad had a master’s degree and 30 years of teaching. My Dad never made over 30,000 a year.

February 18, 2011 at 10:37 pm |
  44. cicly

it is plain and simple. it is completely against unions, period!

February 18, 2011 at 10:37 pm |
  45. Janis

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad will go and it will simply be because he is an unwelcome neighbor to the peace loving Arabs who have worked so hard to gain their independence. Iran will be free.

February 18, 2011 at 10:36 pm |
  46. Rashid

well done Anderson. Keep up the good work exposing the brutality of these regimes.

February 18, 2011 at 10:36 pm |
  47. Sami

Excellent covering...Please watch and cover closely what is happening in Jordan and Palestinian territories...Bombshells about to explode…

February 18, 2011 at 10:36 pm |
  48. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Bloggers,
    We are keeping cover from Middle East or other countries...... I like thank you for kindness your comments..... I hope Nic, Arwa and Ben are safe in region area. I hope they keep out of protestors on the street, My heart goes to all reporters to keep safe out way their harm.

February 18, 2011 at 10:36 pm |
  49. Jo Ann, Ohio

@Stew, "The first to go should be the senators who have run away rather than do the jobs that they were elected to do."

I agree. They have no right to hold the state hostage because they disagree with the law.

February 18, 2011 at 10:36 pm |
  50. Carl GomeznVila

What I just saw happening in Bahrain and Libya in your program is sickening. The uprising of people over the middle east is simply the result of years and years of ruthless dictatorships. The world cannot overlook Libya´s or Bahrain situation. I wish the people will prevail and overthrow, once and for ever, those murderous totalitarian regimes whether they are military, religous or civilian.

February 18, 2011 at 10:36 pm |