CNN Wire Staff
(CNN) - Thousands of Libyans took to the streets Friday to voice their discontent over leader Moammar Gadhafi, witnesses said.
At least 20 people were killed and 200 were injured Friday in the northern Mediterranean city of Benghazi, Libya's second-largest, said a medical source in Benghazi who was not identified for security reasons.
Friday's killings brought to 50 the number of people killed since Tuesday, when the protests began, the medical source said.
Amnesty International said security forces had killed at least 46 during the past three days, with sources at al-Jala Hospital in Benghazi saying that the most common injuries were bullet wounds to the head, chest and neck.
"The alarming rise in the death toll, and the reported nature of victims' injuries, strongly suggests that security forces are permitted to use lethal force against unarmed protesters calling for political change," said Malcolm Smart, the Amnesty's director for the Middle East and North Africa.
CNN was unable to independently verify the information.
Also on Friday, the bodies of those killed in clashes with security forces earlier this week were carried to a cemetery by a crowd of protesters, said a protester whose name also has been withheld for his safety.
Anderson Cooper goes beyond the headlines to tell stories from many points of view, so you can make up your own mind about the news. Tune in weeknights at 8 and 10 ET on CNN.
Questions or comments? Send an email
Want to know more? Go behind the scenes with