February 18th, 2011

20 reported dead Friday in Libya as thousands take to streets

CNN Wire Staff

(CNN) - Thousands of Libyans took to the streets Friday to voice their discontent over leader Moammar Gadhafi, witnesses said.

At least 20 people were killed and 200 were injured Friday in the northern Mediterranean city of Benghazi, Libya's second-largest, said a medical source in Benghazi who was not identified for security reasons.

Friday's killings brought to 50 the number of people killed since Tuesday, when the protests began, the medical source said.

Amnesty International said security forces had killed at least 46 during the past three days, with sources at al-Jala Hospital in Benghazi saying that the most common injuries were bullet wounds to the head, chest and neck.

"The alarming rise in the death toll, and the reported nature of victims' injuries, strongly suggests that security forces are permitted to use lethal force against unarmed protesters calling for political change," said Malcolm Smart, the Amnesty's director for the Middle East and North Africa.

CNN was unable to independently verify the information.

Also on Friday, the bodies of those killed in clashes with security forces earlier this week were carried to a cemetery by a crowd of protesters, said a protester whose name also has been withheld for his safety.

Full story

Filed under: 360° Radar • 360º Follow • Middle East
  1. beret arcaya

There is zero chance that the Saudi Royal Family will ever allow Bahrain its full freedom. It will just not happen because if it does, it is the end of the Saudi regime. And all of us know this. They will do whatever it takes to stop this , then they will ease the burdens economically by throwing the people a bone. This is why the "police" are paid outsiders to do the dirty work disbanding the peaceful demonstrators by any means!

February 19, 2011 at 1:38 am |
  2. Robo

God be with the people of Libya ! Freedom is the right of all the people of earth .

February 19, 2011 at 1:33 am |
  3. Bob

Everyday, there are 30 or 40 new levels of complexity in the middle east. This is the reason, Professor Ajami's knowledge and insight is fundamental... Instead of risking your life protesting peacefully in the streets of Iran, Bahrein, and Lybia. I would advocate a labor strike/protest... If millions of iranians, bahrenians and lybians are staying home and not working, by calling in sick, as a way of protest, then these governments will lose billions of dollars in tax revenue... By crippling these economies the protesters will gain precious momentum, because the police and the armies of these countries will not work for free...

February 18, 2011 at 11:52 pm |
  4. Ahmad

Anderson, we MUST stop this mad / insane man of Libya...if not, he will kill / torture the Libyan people. The free world must not accept this kill to go on in Libya and must act NOW to stop him, else he & his thugs will not stop at the Libyan border!!!

February 18, 2011 at 11:47 pm |
  5. mohammad elbalazi

my father came to the u s in the erlay 1990s becuse he had to flee libya for speaking out aginst the goverment and after mummar al gadafi fleas him self to suadi aribia like other dictators.we will go to libya since we couldnt go since my dad is banned from his own contry. and my relatevies in libya are taking part in the up rising for a democratic goverment

February 18, 2011 at 11:41 pm |
  6. Adel

Anderson, we need CNN people on the ground in Libya. I know its dangerous, but we need to know what is going on inside that country. Quaddafi is mentally ill and been in power for 42 years. Enough, expose BP, Chevron and all these companies who are keeping him & his kids in power. Stay safe Arwa in Bahrain.

February 18, 2011 at 11:35 pm |
  7. Marilynn

Thank you for the information on Bahrain we all need to know what is going on in the world. I for one watch your program to find out what the world news is. I am from Milwaukee WI and now am retired in AZ. My heart is with Milwaukee, AZ, and with Bahrain. The world was with Tuson, now with WI and we also need to be with Bahrain.

February 18, 2011 at 11:30 pm |
  8. Dana O.

The people who question your constant reporting on Libya, Egypt, Bahrain, etc. don't understand how this will effect the world and ultimately them. The world had stood quiet in the past and millions were killed. Thank you for NOT stopping your critically important reporting.

And please, go see MOOZ-lum. Because of people like the one's calling asking you to stop reporting on the middle east, we made this film for the overlooked, vilified Muslim community in America.

February 18, 2011 at 11:25 pm |
  9. kit Pierce

Thanks for the coverage. Keep it up. This is much more important than ANYTHING happening in the US.

February 18, 2011 at 11:24 pm |
  10. Patrick

Anderson,
    Your interview with the Libyan man was perhaps the best work I have ever seen you facilitate. I was so moved I felt my chest open up inside as empathetic tears welled up in my eyes – what a brave man, I hope his prayers will be answered.

February 18, 2011 at 11:15 pm |
  11. Ismaeil

Dear Anderson,
    I would like to express my appreciation and gratitude to you and your staff for your coverage of the uprising in Libya. The Libyan people have little or no coverage in the world media. With honest and morally responsible journalist like you, the people of Libya know that their story will be heard through out the world.
    Peace,
    Ismaeil

February 18, 2011 at 10:53 pm |
  12. Tara Douglas

I'm a Canadian historian, specializing in the Middle East. I applaud your coverage of what is taking place there, especially your comment about Libya and how Americans should both know and care about what is happening in other parts of the world. People are indeed risking their lives for the freedoms that we, in North America, have taken for granted and which are also in the process of being subtly eroded due to our collective ignorance. Keep up the good work, Anderson, of educating Americans to think beyond the limits of their own back yards.

February 18, 2011 at 10:38 pm |
  13. Ahmad

Anderson, your phone call with the HERO from Libya was excellent. This is the first time I've heard any real news about Libya. Please Please Please keep taking these calls and airing whats happening in Libya to the rest of the world. Libya has no other media except the government media. You are voice of the oppressed. The revolution must be televised!

February 18, 2011 at 10:32 pm |
  14. Seppo Rajala

I was just watching AC on TV, saw all the awful things happening in Libya and Bahrain. How can I let these people know I am behind them 100%? I know I can not go there and march with them. I just want them to know that there are a lot of people around the world who support them.

February 18, 2011 at 10:28 pm |
  15. Sami Swadek

Mr. Cooper,

THANK you! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! You are the only journalist who has done what we have dreamed someone would do. You have given the Libyan people hope. The world needs to know that Gadaffi is planning on massacering and wiping out Benghazi. There are even rumors of the water supply in that city being poisoned. Your speech at the end of your call with Muftah gave us hope! You're right; no human being should be able to do this to his people.

Job well done and God Bless You! -Sami