February 17th, 2011

Deadly Lies: Join the Live Chat

Tonight, people are standing up to their repressive governments peacefully and being beaten, teargassed and gunned down in the streets. We have new images and chilling accounts from Bahrain and new video smuggled out of Libya. What the governments are saying doesn't match with the facts. We're Keeping Them Honest. Also tonight, what Rep. Gabrielle Giffords is going through on her amazing road to recovery. 360 M-D Sanjay Gupta walks in her footsteps and more.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Steve

Shaken Baby Syndrome is not even proven. Check out the NYT last weekend. Also check out the publications of Dr. Al-Bayati on this subject. SBS is flawed!!!!

Kidnapping kids from their family legally?!?!?! Someone has to expose this. Thank you Anderson Cooper

February 17, 2011 at 10:54 pm |
  2. nancyinoregon

That's just it, Karyn...damned when you do and damned when you don't. My sister (also named Karen, different spelling!) did your work for many years. I can really feel the dilemma described.

February 17, 2011 at 10:53 pm |
  3. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

@Adam~ Hang in there my friend. We are praying for your family. xoxo

February 17, 2011 at 10:53 pm |
  4. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

@Jo Ann...thanks for bringing up the Bahrain/Iran connection. (Now I have to go look this up.) What do you know?

February 17, 2011 at 10:53 pm |
  5. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

There are no chances to be taking for grant!

February 17, 2011 at 10:52 pm |
  6. karen

it would seem that to shake a baby hard enough to cause brain damage there would be bruising from the holding and shaking their skin is pretty delicate.

February 17, 2011 at 10:52 pm |
  7. Betty

I feel sorry for the family that was accused of hurting their child. don't know why more facts are studied, before removing children from a home. I wish the family good luck on their case. They deserve it!

February 17, 2011 at 10:52 pm |
  8. Emily

@lilly,
    at one time, Biden was the Chairman of the Senate Committee on Foreign Relations, and more. His son was in the military and Biden is known to say what's on his mind.

February 17, 2011 at 10:52 pm |
  9. nancyinoregon

That's right, everyone wants to blame someone...and no one wants to be responsible. It's a tough, tough spot to be in, on any end of it. Chad, if they did not remove another child in a situation that later proves to be dangerous, whose responsibility then is that, when the second child is hurt? I can appreciate a parent's dilemma about this...but I can also understand the other side's dilemma too.

February 17, 2011 at 10:52 pm |
  10. abbas

its worth mentioning that im bahraini in the U.S now sitting for pro. exams, and ive 2 friends in bahrain among the 60-70 missing citizens + an injured brother ..

February 17, 2011 at 10:52 pm |
  11. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

@Adam, please let us know when you have any developments. Good thoughts to your family...

February 17, 2011 at 10:51 pm |
  12. Starr, formerly known as vincent

The Kaplan story is truly sad.

Children need to be protected indeed. However, some kind of medical & legal sanity might help.
    God bless them and i hope they are not bothered again.

Mr. Toobin's comments are well said. "Experts" are not always right. On the other hand, it can be quite difficult to determine and some children have died based on more cursory investigations. There has to be a saner way to handle these cases.

February 17, 2011 at 10:51 pm |
  13. libby

Lisa in Canada ~ I adopted a baby a couple of years ago and couldn't love her more. Biological or adopted.. it's all about love. Your comment was so sweet! 😀

February 17, 2011 at 10:51 pm |
  14. Jo Ann, Ohio

I agree with Toobin. I think that these types of cases are often driven by emotion and not by facts.

February 17, 2011 at 10:51 pm |
  15. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

That is a no win situation of the shaken baby syndrome dispute, there is no chances to be taking for grant.

February 17, 2011 at 10:50 pm |
  16. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

@Adam,
    My heart goes out to you!!!! My prayers & thoughts with you.

February 17, 2011 at 10:50 pm |
  17. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

Children can not speak for themselves therefore I do understand authorities being overly cautious. I wish social services could however work faster in those many cases where the child is abused over and over or fatally. I have known cases like that.

February 17, 2011 at 10:50 pm |
  18. Chad

As a parent just tuning in to see the story about the shaken baby mistake, I'm disgusted that anyone would think it's ok to take the second child from the home in the middle of the night before anything was settled.

February 17, 2011 at 10:49 pm |
  19. Heather - Spokane, WA

It's a shame that cities and governments and people in general are so quick to jump to conclusions when it comes to things like a child falling and hurting themselves, it of course doesn't help that there are so many cases per year of child abuse too

February 17, 2011 at 10:49 pm |
  20. Karyn, Indiana

@Nancy: I worked those cases for years and I never ever saw a case of "Shaken baby syndrome" that was caused by anything other than that! The severity of injuries are extreme.

But, you can't win either way because if a child isn't removed and later abused again... you get sued... If you do remove the child, and are wrong... you get sued!

February 17, 2011 at 10:49 pm |
  21. nancyinoregon

Yes, AC, there is a fine line the agencies are walking...and placed in. It's a tough call...a baby is injured, you have to protect him and other siblings...what do you do? Even 'nice' homes have parents who experience momentary 'loss of control' and hurt their children...I would not want to be the parent, the child, the hospital or the agency.

February 17, 2011 at 10:49 pm |
  22. Janis

There are so many children in danger that are ignored by the authorities – they fall through the cracks and now a family that may not belong on the list. The parents may be in pain but the authorities are trying to err on the side of caution as Anderson said.

February 17, 2011 at 10:49 pm |
  23. lilly

I emphatize with these parents, when I was a kid I was accident prone. You name it I have either broken it or sprained it, stiches on head, etc.....
    My parents quere questioned by police and social workers, but my parents response was always the same talk to school.
    I can't imagine the pain that I caused them, I had fun as a kid.

February 17, 2011 at 10:49 pm |
  24. Cessy - Chicago

shaken baby syndrome: interesting segment!

February 17, 2011 at 10:48 pm |
  25. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

@ Starr...HA! I was following your spelling example on Gaddafi (I just looked it up and this is what I found, however).

February 17, 2011 at 10:48 pm |
  26. Emily

This report by Randi is really tragic. I understand people wanting to be cautious when it comes to children.

February 17, 2011 at 10:47 pm |
  27. Amena Shermadou

Thanks for a great show tonight!! I really appreciated how you brought to light the dangerous conditions of dictatorships the people of Libya and the rest of the arab world have had to deal with. Being libyan american myself, my heart goes out to the libyans currently risking their lives fighting for human rights and the country they love! It is time for gadaffi to step down, he has been getting away with killing and torturing innocent people for far too long!

February 17, 2011 at 10:47 pm |
  28. Jo Ann, Ohio

@libby, "I get too distracted trying to study while listening to music. Maybe I'm picking the wrong tunes?"

Really? I also watch TV at the same time.

February 17, 2011 at 10:47 pm |
  29. Lori

What a nightmare for this family.

February 17, 2011 at 10:46 pm |
  30. Carolyn

@Adam – I am also Praying for your family... God Be With Them.

February 17, 2011 at 10:46 pm |
  31. nancyinoregon

The Children's Services people are in a horrible position though...if they don't react and take the children out, and someone has purposely 'shaken' or hurt the child, they are in a world of hurt. And if they do so when it is unwarranted, they are in a world of hurt as well. I do not envy the social workers one bit.

February 17, 2011 at 10:46 pm |
  32. libby

I never knew they could mistake shaken baby syndrome for other types of injuries. Always learn something new on AC360!

February 17, 2011 at 10:46 pm |
  33. joni

Amazing info about therapy. I never knew how much was involved in a brain injury.

February 17, 2011 at 10:45 pm |
  34. Jo Ann, Ohio

Considering its history with Bahrain, I wouldn't be surprised to find out that Iran had encouraged the current unrest in Bahrain.

February 17, 2011 at 10:44 pm |
  35. lisal -canada

that "shaken baby syndrome" story is kind of disturbing. i was adopted when i was one – as the story goes, i fell off a bed and broke my leg and ended up in the hospital – i've always thought baby bones were quite flexible so i am not sure if i actually fell off a bed, or if that is just what i was told. i do know i have never questioned it, or had an urge to locate my birthparents.

February 17, 2011 at 10:44 pm |
  36. Kaytee

So glad Congresswoman Giffords is having an amazing recover!

@ Libby
    I totally agree with you, we have a great president and I am so proud of him.

February 17, 2011 at 10:44 pm |
  37. Starr, formerly known as vincent

@Casey – your humor is showing. On the more serious side, isn't Gadafi (sp?) called the Lion of the Desert?

@Janis – i believe you are right. It would appear he is quite the eccentirc.

February 17, 2011 at 10:44 pm |
  38. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

@Betty Ann...let's hope we don't have to take any action. I have serious doubts about our abilities because I think we're already spread too thin.

February 17, 2011 at 10:44 pm |
  39. Adam

phone lines aren't working at all...i've written emails...sadly, i know my family was most likely the 1st to hit the streets protesting...its been 3 days and counting...

February 17, 2011 at 10:43 pm |
  40. nancyinoregon

Oh man, what a nightmare for a parent, that shaken-baby insinuation. 'Shaking' must surely occur in other ways besides outright 'shaking'.

February 17, 2011 at 10:43 pm |
  41. Vincent Blas

This is crazy. I'm being honest..sad for the couple.

February 17, 2011 at 10:43 pm |
  42. Heather - Spokane, WA

@JoAnn, it's actually very good to listen to music while studying because it activates both sides of the brain instead of just one side if you were to just study in silence, and helps with retaining the information and recalling it too

February 17, 2011 at 10:42 pm |
  43. Sue R. Canton MI.

It is amazing to hear that Congresswoman Giffords has come this far in her recovery. It's great to hear such good new's.

February 17, 2011 at 10:42 pm |
  44. Carolyn

@Gloria – this therapy is absolutely wonderful!!

February 17, 2011 at 10:41 pm |
  45. zack

kaddafi is didactically inclined to be imperceptible,

February 17, 2011 at 10:41 pm |
  46. Zachary

@Dr Ail Jaber
    Bahrain is very different from Egypt. Mubarak is nothing compared to Al Khalifa. Al Khalifa has shown that he will stop at nothing to maintain his power. Either the protesters will stand down or there will be blood; either way, I don't see Al Khalifa leaving anytime soon.

February 17, 2011 at 10:41 pm |
  47. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Wow!!!!! One child take away from parents????? Oh no, That is not true, Shake a baby is not dangerous at all....I hope parents can learn never shake a babies...... Be careful parents.

February 17, 2011 at 10:41 pm |
  48. Janis

I filled my gas tank today and it hit the most expensive fillup my car ever had. As usual, I didn't blink and gulp, I just paid it. That's what we all do, we just pay it and whiz off down the road. Something's got to give one of these days.

February 17, 2011 at 10:41 pm |
  49. nancyinoregon

Ha, libby! I hear you! I think it's the type of music, for sure, if you're trying to study. I could never read sitting outdoors, either...too many natural distractions!

February 17, 2011 at 10:41 pm |
  50. Diane, St Pete FL

This is regarding Gabrielle Giffords.
    Why does she still have a Trach Tube?
    I have not heard that discussed

February 17, 2011 at 10:41 pm |