February 17th, 2011

Deadly Lies: Join the Live Chat

Tonight, people are standing up to their repressive governments peacefully and being beaten, teargassed and gunned down in the streets. We have new images and chilling accounts from Bahrain and new video smuggled out of Libya. What the governments are saying doesn't match with the facts. We're Keeping Them Honest. Also tonight, what Rep. Gabrielle Giffords is going through on her amazing road to recovery. 360 M-D Sanjay Gupta walks in her footsteps and more.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Kristie

@Adam, I'm praying your family is okay.

February 17, 2011 at 10:40 pm |
  2. Paula, Colorado

Fascinating report on Rep. Giffords' Rehab. It's great to hear she is continuing to do well.

February 17, 2011 at 10:40 pm |
  3. John

@Graham. Totally true. These types of crackdowns are nothing new – the Bahraini government is jaded from their experience in the 70s when the Shia population agitated right after the Shah of Iran was overthrown in Iran. The Iranians used to, or may still be claiming, Bahrain as part of Iranian territory. This is one of the filters thats leading to this viciral reaction from the government. I personally believe that this time, the local population is reacting to a true democratic need. The government needs to look beyond it's existing paradigm and recognize that their own people are demanding freedom. The government had an opportunity to be ahead of the curve. They lost any goodwill as of last night. Now its a question of when, not if.

February 17, 2011 at 10:40 pm |
  4. lilly

@ emily

I'm not familiar with Biden, was he in foreign affairs prior to becoming VP?

February 17, 2011 at 10:40 pm |
  5. Emily

That was an excellent report by Dr. Gupta. Medical technology is really something. Things are really looking up for Rep. Giffords.

February 17, 2011 at 10:40 pm |
  6. Karyn, Indiana

@Adam: Praying for your family. I just went through the same feelings, as my husband is Egyptian.

February 17, 2011 at 10:40 pm |
  7. libby

LOL, Jo Ann. I get too distracted trying to study while listening to music. Maybe I'm picking the wrong tunes? 😀

February 17, 2011 at 10:40 pm |
  8. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

@Adam...you have no way of communicating with your family (at all)?

February 17, 2011 at 10:39 pm |
  9. nancyinoregon

It's powerful, isn't it JoAnn?

February 17, 2011 at 10:39 pm |
  10. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

It likes stimulating the brain to remember again!

February 17, 2011 at 10:39 pm |
  11. Carolyn

Continued Prayers and Blessings to Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, and her family and dear loved ones.

February 17, 2011 at 10:39 pm |
  12. Ed, KSA

what do we hear from the Saudi government about these political developments from the middle east?, these will surely impact also on the desire of their people for freedom.

February 17, 2011 at 10:38 pm |
  13. libby

Wow, Adam I hope you hear about your family soon and that they are fine.. 😦

February 17, 2011 at 10:38 pm |
  14. Karyn, Indiana

EVERYday in this country we are seeing infants and children dying at the hands of their own parents... what are we teaching our children??? Or NOT teaching them?

February 17, 2011 at 10:38 pm |
  15. Lori

Twenty-eight days is a very quick recovery from a serious head injury. Thanks Dr. Gupta. You are a great compliment to Anderson and bring so much to the screen.

February 17, 2011 at 10:38 pm |
  16. Osama

I am a Bahraini working professional. I want to pass a message to the int'l community: it is your responsibility to stop this blood bath in Bahrain. From united nation to united states of America  and European union. I'm sure your are not enjoying this seen.
    We also fear an Internet blockage, with the presence of the media they did what they did; imagine what they will do without anybody witnessing.

February 17, 2011 at 10:38 pm |
  17. nancyinoregon

Good evening....late again! But wonderful piece on the rehab...yahoo for rehab!

February 17, 2011 at 10:38 pm |
  18. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

Go Isha! make it rain glitter!

February 17, 2011 at 10:38 pm |
  19. Sharon Hastings

These therapies are all so amazing. Rehab after these injuries has progressed so much as we learn more and more about how the brain works. A very excellent piece.

February 17, 2011 at 10:38 pm |
  20. Emily

@Jo Ann & lilly

I don't understand why Biden is not more forceful. I really thought that he'd have more of an impact at times like this. Wishful thinking perhaps?

February 17, 2011 at 10:37 pm |
  21. Jo Ann, Ohio

I have heard that music helps information cross over from one side of the brain to the other. I always listened to music while studying.

February 17, 2011 at 10:37 pm |
  22. Janis

I'm so glad Congresswoman Giffords is getting such outstanding rehab care. Amazing. I love watching Dr. Sanjay interacting with all the equipment and staff.

February 17, 2011 at 10:37 pm |
  23. Zachary

This has been going on for decades. Only now are people starting to pay attention.

February 17, 2011 at 10:37 pm |
  24. Adam

My entire family lives in the city of benghazi libya as I sit here (London) in complete horror helplessly awaiting for someone to call me back with confirmation that they are still alive...

February 17, 2011 at 10:37 pm |
  25. Heather - Spokane, WA

I have always wondered what kind of therapy that people with brain injuries go through. Thank you Dr. Gupta for showing us

February 17, 2011 at 10:36 pm |
  26. Carolyn

Thank you Dr. Sanjay Gupta for the update on Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, her road to recovery is truly remarkable.

February 17, 2011 at 10:36 pm |
  27. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

I would sure hate to be a U.S.-based business with a presence or contracts in Bahrain, Egypt or Libya.

I absolutely see gas at $4.50 a gallon in the not so distant future–one more thing threatening to derail our economic recovery. It's our own fault for being so dependent on oil. Gee, maybe we can buy more from Chavez in Venezuela.

February 17, 2011 at 10:36 pm |
  28. Dr Ail Jaber

As Bahraini academic in exile and who have witnessed the history of the ruling Alkhalifa family who has always been a long standing enemy to any sign of freedom, I can safely say that after this unpredicated massacre before the eyes of the world, I think the tyrant regimen has lost what is left of any credibility and declared war on its own people. This can only end one way, that is the fall of the regimen, just look at the Tunisian and Egyptian regimes for a living example. I say confidently to Alkhalifas and their corrupt inner cycle: start packing, your days are counted and will end soon.

February 17, 2011 at 10:36 pm |
  29. Cessy - Chicago

keep on praying for Mrs. Giffords' recovery. any updates on the other victims?

February 17, 2011 at 10:35 pm |
  30. lilly

Dr Gupta is an excellent doctor and reporter.
    He makes medical stories understandable.

February 17, 2011 at 10:35 pm |
  31. Jo Ann, Ohio

@Emily, "It's been said "to keep your friends close & your enemies closer"."

Wise words from Michael Corleone as I recall. Not sure if it will help us in this situation.

February 17, 2011 at 10:35 pm |
  32. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Bloggers,
    We are learning what Dr Sanjay Gutpa how take a walk and learn new thing at Rehab in Houston,
    Gabby Giffords made road to recovery! 🙂

February 17, 2011 at 10:34 pm |
  33. libby

Kristie, I'm amazed at how well Congresswoman Gifford's is progressing too. Amazing considering what she went through!

February 17, 2011 at 10:34 pm |
  34. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

Some of the best medical people and equipment in the world is in Houston, TX. The therapy is fasinating! I wish Senator Gifford the very best for a speedy recovery.

February 17, 2011 at 10:34 pm |
  35. Steven in Denver

THe attacks in Bahrain on the tents of peaceful protesters reminds me a lot of the 1914 Ludlow Massacre in Colorado.

February 17, 2011 at 10:34 pm |
  36. Karyn, Indiana

Things aren't getting better in Egypt either... Limbo is a bad place to be!

God help all ppl who want freedom!

February 17, 2011 at 10:34 pm |
  37. Janis

@Starr – sounds like Gadhafi is believing his own hype. Years ago he was strutting himself around claiming the sea north of Libya beloned to Libya outside of international boundaries. United States sent warships and sailed up and down Libyas coast line just outside in international waters and he quieted down. Strange then, strange now.

February 17, 2011 at 10:33 pm |
  38. Lori

I really like the idea of music therapy.

February 17, 2011 at 10:33 pm |
  39. Kristie

So glad Gabriel Giffords is getting better.

February 17, 2011 at 10:33 pm |
  40. libby

Lilly, that is your opinion. I'm very proud of our president.

February 17, 2011 at 10:33 pm |
  41. Paula, Colorado

The courage of the protesters in contrast to their rigid leaders is very inspiring.

February 17, 2011 at 10:33 pm |
  42. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

Will the United States be pulled into the numerous protest that pop up around the world? Could this be the beginning of many wars? I hope, no, i pray this is the beginning of peace~

February 17, 2011 at 10:32 pm |
  43. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

@Starr...regarding Gadafi, could that be the power of positive thinking?

February 17, 2011 at 10:31 pm |
  44. James Leon Mahan

I wish there was a way America could help end the conflict quickly and peacefully without further bloodshed. Some of the images shown are disturbing especially for young children.

February 17, 2011 at 10:31 pm |
  45. libby

It's amazing that so few are filthy wealthy from oil money when so many are so poor. Makes me realize how unique Alaska is (I live in Anchorage). Here, every October, every single resident receives a check for their portion of the oil revenues. Such a huge difference!

February 17, 2011 at 10:31 pm |
  46. lilly

@ emily
    A president like Eisenhower or Reagan is needed at times like these.

I wish I could remeber Reagan I was very young during the Reagan administration. I believe that I times like these, our country does need a president that is qualified to handle foreigh affairs.

February 17, 2011 at 10:31 pm |
  47. Sue R. Canton MI.

It's become such a sad situation in the whole world. It is all about the $$$ and power. They both go hand in hand. I'm proud that so many people are standing up for their rights...But it's so concerning when you think of the price they will have to pay for doing so.

February 17, 2011 at 10:31 pm |
  48. karen

it was awesome how the technology didn't let the demonstrations be suppressed in Egypt. do they have such good techno (facebook,twitter,cells) in Bahrain and Libya?

February 17, 2011 at 10:30 pm |
  49. Janis

Thank you @Starr and @Megan. We all seem to have the same passion for all this inhumanity.

February 17, 2011 at 10:30 pm |
  50. Naima

You are a hero for bringing the truth, please keep talking about Libya they need your help.

February 17, 2011 at 10:30 pm |