February 17th, 2011

Deadly Lies: Join the Live Chat

Tonight, people are standing up to their repressive governments peacefully and being beaten, teargassed and gunned down in the streets. We have new images and chilling accounts from Bahrain and new video smuggled out of Libya. What the governments are saying doesn't match with the facts. We're Keeping Them Honest. Also tonight, what Rep. Gabrielle Giffords is going through on her amazing road to recovery. 360 M-D Sanjay Gupta walks in her footsteps and more.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Janis

Bahrain's King (crowned himself) is a cruel, cruel man not a King. If he is a true King, he would care about his people and address their needs.

I'm sorry for the Dr. who was just trying to help the injured and wound up being beaten and nearly raped. The King should tend his wounds!

February 17, 2011 at 10:15 pm |
  2. Bob

As an american, I wish I could help these people!

February 17, 2011 at 10:14 pm |
  3. Lin

Seeing this news footage just makes me more determined to work on ending our oil dependency. Disgusting and appalling. God help these people...

February 17, 2011 at 10:13 pm |
  4. Sharon Hastings

These dictators like to blame these uprisings on "foreign" agitators (meaning us) but the truth is we would never have stirred all this up on purpose because the ultimate outcomes would be so unpredictable and potentially dangerous to our interests and to peace in the region.

February 17, 2011 at 10:13 pm |
  5. John

I grew up in Bahrain – I went to high school with some members of the royal family back in the 80s. I can't believe how this is turning out. Very disappointed with how these US educated royal family members are brutally treating their own citizens. Quite shameful. They need to be held accountable to their own people.

February 17, 2011 at 10:13 pm |
  6. Karyn, Indiana

@Starr: Yes, it is the Sunni against the Shiite. Spoke with my husband online tonight... he briefed me on Bahrain's situation. Saddens me to see so much going on right now! One after another!

February 17, 2011 at 10:13 pm |
  7. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Anderson,
    Please tell Miguel, Keep safe your guard and be careful......Keep going from protestors...... My heart goes out to you......

February 17, 2011 at 10:13 pm |
  8. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

Thank you Nic Robertson and all the journalist who travel in the midst of danger to give us the true story. Thank you all.

February 17, 2011 at 10:13 pm |
  9. Kristie

So sad that the police would teargas sleeping families. How can the children ever trust their police again? So sad.

February 17, 2011 at 10:12 pm |
  10. Heather - Spokane, WA

That is really heartbreaking to have to tell your children that the police are the ones trying to hurt you when you raise your children to let them know that if they need help the police are the ones who are there to help

February 17, 2011 at 10:12 pm |
  11. Bob

I comment these protestors for their courage and resilience to face such corrupt gov'ts...esp in Libya..where the lack of media coverage gives the gov't more reason to kill the innocent!

February 17, 2011 at 10:12 pm |
  12. Sue R. Canton MI.

The pictures and videos of the abuse are so disturbing. I can't imagine the terror that the little children are going through.

February 17, 2011 at 10:11 pm |
  13. Starr, formerly known as vincent

From an article i read on this blog, it is apparently an issue of Sunni (ruling family) vs. majority Shiite.

It has also been reported that Sunni Saudis (police) who came over the border to inflict this brutal assault on the shiite population.

Uncivilized brutes!!

February 17, 2011 at 10:11 pm |
  14. Nina

Did I hear this correct... The police set her head on fire?

February 17, 2011 at 10:11 pm |
  15. Emily

Nic Robertson has been providing some outstanding reports from Bahrain. I hope that he's safe there.

February 17, 2011 at 10:10 pm |
  16. Janis

Bahrainian citizens are not doing these things, it's lke a mercenary army/police force that have been told anything goes. Barbaric dictators.

I truly believe the countries in the middle east should be at the top of the food chain in civilization. But with all the autocracy, dictatorships – they have been held back for hundreds of years. Their leaders roll in money and hide behind their clerics while the people starve. Unimagineable.

February 17, 2011 at 10:10 pm |
  17. Karyn, Indiana

@Starr: I can not either!

"These people (Royals) like to build Western, etc., but culturally they remain tribal and therefore uncivilized in my opinion."........
    it sickens me to see it and I have seen it first hand.

February 17, 2011 at 10:09 pm |
  18. Stefanie Fuqua

question: what about the formula one racing suppose to start in Barhain soon will their race somewhere else or ....????
    can you find out?

February 17, 2011 at 10:09 pm |
  19. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I agree, Janis....... Gadhafi is dictorship and regime.... he is gulity war crime against own people.

February 17, 2011 at 10:08 pm |
  20. Nina

These protests demonstrates their courage as they are willing to die for what they believe in. I have so much admiration for these people.

February 17, 2011 at 10:08 pm |
  21. Sharon Hastings

Some "free country" where you express your ideas and then get teargassed and beaten.

February 17, 2011 at 10:08 pm |
  22. Stefanie Fuqua

hope it will get peacefull again and the people can protest for their freedom, it is realy an ironie for me that you maybe die for freedom,... just weird

February 17, 2011 at 10:08 pm |
  23. Emily

What a fallacy Kadafi was perpetuating.
    Good to see the people standing up against him after 41years.

February 17, 2011 at 10:07 pm |
  24. Kristie

Anderson please don't go over to Bahrain!

February 17, 2011 at 10:07 pm |
  25. Starr, formerly known as vincent

@Karyn – i can't fathom Why armed forces would attack Peaceful people SLeeping at 3 am.
    Bahrain is an important ally, however, we Can't condone or say nothing re: these blatant civil rights attacks.

February 17, 2011 at 10:07 pm |
  26. Karyn, Indiana

@Heather: I agree with you completely! You can only be suppressed for so long and the rage has to come out.. somehow

February 17, 2011 at 10:07 pm |
  27. Sue R. Canton MI.

Good evening everyone.
    Looking forward to the show tonight.

This is a scary situation in Libya and Bahrain.

February 17, 2011 at 10:07 pm |
  28. Lori

These attacks are very disturbing.

February 17, 2011 at 10:06 pm |
  29. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

The protest are becoming an epidemic and it's not close to over. I hope the world demands freedom and democracy. it won't be easy~

February 17, 2011 at 10:06 pm |
  30. Janis

I heard that Bahrain's military and police force are more like guest workers instead of citizens. Also, the guest workers are Sunni.

Gadhafi is a brutal man.

They don't seem to realize the hatred they will generate because of all this violence.

February 17, 2011 at 10:05 pm |
  31. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

YIKES!!!!!!!!!!! There are so shocking news I have witness police threw tear gas and fired shot people in anywhere!!!!!!

February 17, 2011 at 10:05 pm |
  32. Heather - Spokane, WA

Evening Anderson and everyone. I guess we can say that this is what happenes when humans are not allowed to be humans

February 17, 2011 at 10:05 pm |
  33. Emily

It's great to see the peaceful people in the Middle East gaining their voice against these dictators.

February 17, 2011 at 10:05 pm |
  34. Kristie

I feel so bad for the people of Bahrain. They saw what happened in Egypt and had some hope. Then this happens.

February 17, 2011 at 10:04 pm |
  35. Karyn, Indiana

@Kristie: These governments do not want the same outcome as Egypt now has and they will do anything to stop protesters!

February 17, 2011 at 10:04 pm |
  36. Kelly, PA

I had been thinking about, with media outlets relying on ireports, could someone pull off another "war of the worlds"? Unlikey, but without verification, who knows...

February 17, 2011 at 10:04 pm |
  37. Cessy - Chicago

Hi! Anderson 🙂

Hello and wonderful evening to you all...SPRING weather here in Chicago ( but not for long )

February 17, 2011 at 10:04 pm |
  38. Starr, formerly known as vincent

Hello Anderson & Team 360.

Hello, Nancy Nichole, Megan, Emily, JoAnn, Mike, Casey, Samantha, Nina, Heather, Sharon H., Karyn, Sam, .....everyone.

February 17, 2011 at 10:03 pm |
  39. Karyn, Indiana

This is just wrong, in so many ways... what the police are doing in Bahrain!

February 17, 2011 at 10:03 pm |
  40. Emily

The video from Bahrain & Libya is astonishing.
    I can't believe that the Gov of Bahrain would use tear-gas on the people.

February 17, 2011 at 10:03 pm |
  41. Kristie

How can police do that to the people when they were being peaceful?

February 17, 2011 at 10:02 pm |
  42. Sharon Hastings

Good evening Anderson and everyone. I felt very exhilirated during and after the Egypt revolution, scary though it was, but now I am really frightened for those rebelling in Bahrain, Libya, and others. Those regimes are brutally attacking peaceful protestors.

February 17, 2011 at 10:02 pm |
  43. Janis

Hello AC360 and fellow bloggers.

February 17, 2011 at 10:02 pm |
  44. Karyn, Indiana

Hi all:) I am wondering which mid east country will be next?!

February 17, 2011 at 10:01 pm |
  45. Nina

Good Evening Anderson and everyone

February 17, 2011 at 10:01 pm |
  46. Lori

Hi Anderson! Hi Everyone!

February 17, 2011 at 10:01 pm |
  47. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Helloooo Anderson, Megan, Isha, Jane, Martina, Nicole, Kim, Emily, Gloria, Mike, Casey, Milan, Vivan, Gabriela, Cessy, Paula, Isabel, David-Indiana, JoAnn, Monica, Kathy, Jane, Gayle, Renee, Caroline, (Danie), Lori, (Adelaide), Heather, BettyAnn, Starr, Sharon, A. Smith, Devin, Karin, Dulcie, Michael, Karen, Miranda, Sree, Nancy, Sue, Kenya, Libby, Nina, Samantha, Chi, Jana, Karyn, others and my friend Facebook/Twitter Bloggers!!!!
    Happy Thursday night! 😀

February 17, 2011 at 10:00 pm |
  48. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    hi! It's great to see you on.
    It's sad that those who've been in power for decades in Bahrain and Libya won't consider dialogue first–rather than force–in response to people who seek reform.

February 17, 2011 at 10:00 pm |
  49. Emily

Good evening Anderson, Isha, 360°Team, Jo Ann, Mike, Megan, Nicole, Nancy, Gloria, Starr, Nina, & Bloggers.

February 17, 2011 at 10:00 pm |
  50. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

Good evening Anderson and blogger friends! Ready for a day of news!

February 17, 2011 at 10:00 pm |