February 16th, 2011

CBS correspondent assaulted in Egypt

CNN Wire Staff

(CNN) - A CBS correspondent was brutally attacked Friday in Cairo's Tahrir Square after the resignation of Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak, the network said in a statement released Tuesday.

Lara Logan, 39, was covering celebrations for a "60 Minutes" story, the network said, when a frenzied mob of about 200 people surrounded her, her crew and their security team. Separated from the others in the chaos, Logan was surrounded, beaten and sexually assaulted, the statement said.

A group of women and about 20 Egyptian soldiers intervened to rescue the correspondent, the network said.

Logan reconnected with her team and returned to her hotel, CBS said. She returned Saturday to the United States, where she has been hospitalized.

CBS said it would have no further comment and that Logan and her family requested privacy.

Full story

Filed under: 360° Radar • 360º Follow • Middle East
  1. Amelia

Dear Lara Logan: my prayers for you.
    It was horrible to hear the news about the cruel assault of Ms. Lara Logan in Egipt.
    Ms. Logan, an educate and smart journalist. Please pray for her.
    She is a survivor, and a very brave woman.
    Don't feel alone Ms. Logan.
    Many people love you!
    Truly concerns for the American Journalists.
    Blessing and the Best wishes.

February 17, 2011 at 1:29 pm |
  2. Jim

My Prayers for Lara & her Family.
    There is absolutely NO EXCUSE for anyone to be assaulted like that- May God's wrath Fall on those who did this.

February 17, 2011 at 12:46 pm |
  3. Jason

While this is terrible, and absolutely inexcusable, I have to wonder: what was she even doing down there? Reporters were already being attacked all over the place, and even she had already been harassed. If you are a reporter covering a story in a violent area, stop trying to win awards by getting right in the middle of it. This is why reporters are being murdered, assaulted, etc. You can still convey the story without putting yourself in harms way.

February 17, 2011 at 11:33 am |
  4. Brian

It is a sad comment on society, it is terrible what happened to the reporter, but you really need to question the decision that put her in that situation. Would you wear lady ga ga's meat suit into the wilderness of Alaska? You definitely have the right to but I would have to question your decision making skills if you did. So when you get eaten by a bear don't expect me to feel sorry for you. Sad yes but not sorry. Women have been suffering this type of treatment all over the world for years! Why all of the sudden is it a earth shaking event when it happened to this woman. Is she a more valuable member of society than any other woman that has suffered the same treatment?

February 16, 2011 at 11:41 pm |
  5. Alia

There is little doubt in my mind that the Moubarak camp has organized the brutal assault on Ms. Logan. Just as many brutes have done throughout human history in times of war, sexual assault was used here as a way to break the spirit of those men and women who put their lives in the line of fire for the rest of us to be informed. But I have to tell you, Anderson, though I appreciate your coverage of the Egyptian revolution, I thought you went way overboard and strayed from your role as a journalist when you talked about Moubarak and his camp in the terms you did a couple of days Moubarak stepped down. Your speech sounded like the advocacy for his overthrow by a notable American figure. Your presentation was unwise especially since the last thing we want is for the dictators' camps to claim that the revolution was fomented by America . I believe that the result of your unwise speech is what happened to Ms. Logan. The Moubarak thugs took revenge by assaulting Ms. Logan in the most horrendous manner obviously intending to inflict on American journalists the most cruel humiliation. What we want is information, not intervention by journalists in the form of poking the tiger's nose, this from the safety of one's country while others are still in the zone of danger.

February 16, 2011 at 11:35 pm |
  6. Pamela

I am very sorry to hear about what happened to Ms. Logan. I was a single woman who visited Egypt in Oct. 2009 (Cairo). I was with a small group from a cruise ship. Every moment I was in Cairo I felt imminent danger lurking everywhere. It was obvious the hatred and disrespect that many Egyptian men feel for women, especially foreign women. All the other women in our group also felt extremely threatened. In a country where 90% of women have suffered female castration, why doesn't our president or his wife address these issues? They affect the largest single group of people, yet are never mentioned. Shame on Obama. What will happen to them under Sharia law?

February 16, 2011 at 11:32 pm |
  7. Ed Manley

'Right' and 'real' are not always the same. Female journalists have to know that there is a real risk of sexual harassment and assault by a percentage of men in Egypt, especially in a crowd. It's not right that she can't move freely in the middle of revolutionary protesters, but it is real...and she had to know that.

February 16, 2011 at 11:27 pm |
  8. peter teehan

Anderson, your attacking this journalist who tweeted about Logan like a spoilt child, repeatedly making your point about him not knowing she was sexually assaulted is petty and then saying its up to the people to decide is condescending.

He came on your show, he explained his actions and then apologized. Drop it, you're clearly taking it personally and it reflects badly on you as a journalist.

Peter teehan

February 16, 2011 at 11:24 pm |
  9. Catherine Berryhill

This country needs to do something to protect these reporters. We need a leader.

February 16, 2011 at 11:14 pm |
  10. steven assadourian

mr anderson, thank you again

with all my heart

February 16, 2011 at 10:57 pm |
  11. Annie Kate

I hope Lara Logan gets better soon physically and mentally. Its terrible what happened to her. I hope reporters in these type of assignments will get more protection so as to reduce the likelihood of this happening to someone else.

February 16, 2011 at 10:45 pm |
  12. Sue

Rosen being a journalist knows exactly what he was tweeting and what impact it is going to be, it is very rude to mock and make fun about sexual assault , it can happen to any woman. My heart and prayers go to Ms Logan. I feel offended as a woman and he making fun of such an incident, the harm is done and I don't really accept his apology.
    Anderson, you did a great job in confronting him and making him appear on ur show, I am a big fan of your show, God bless you.
    Sue / Jordanian living in Canada

February 16, 2011 at 10:36 pm |
  13. Hazel

I've been wondering when the female voice would reignite. Tragic circumstances propel us forward.

February 16, 2011 at 10:34 pm |
  14. Michele

God bless her. She's doing a tough job and I imagine that what happened to Lara is in the back of every journalist mind. God bless all of them in dangerous situations.

February 16, 2011 at 10:26 pm |
  15. Mark

Recognizing that all cultures have criminal atrocities, is the Lara Logan tragedy one which is culturally based?

February 16, 2011 at 10:02 pm |