February 11th, 2011

Huge Crowds Celebrating Egypt's Revolution: Join the Live Chat

President Hosni Mubarak resigns in Egypt and Cairo's Liberation Square is still full of people. Some have been there from the beginning. Others came today to celebrate. Still others stopping by even now, just for a taste of the place that birthed a revolution. We'll have the latest developments and tonight's other headlines.

Want more details on what covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Karyn, Indiana

Good Evening and God Bless the ppl of Egypt in the hurdles ahead. I am late coming in.. was video-chatting with my Egyptian husband:) I hope that they get the democracy that they have been fighting so many years for!

February 11, 2011 at 10:52 pm |
  2. Syed

Brilliant job, Anderson. Egyptians ought to be very proud today and are rightfully celebrating for having pulled off a non-violent revolution in the face of absolute tyranny – this is stuff that one sees only in the movies – its amazing and wonderful to be human!! The media that have stuck with the news on the ground, (specially you and your team reporting for us here in the US), deserve a lot of credit!!

February 11, 2011 at 10:52 pm |
  3. cicly

yea! wedaman!! fantastic job!

February 11, 2011 at 10:52 pm |
  4. Janis

The thing about democracy is you have to continually participate to maintain your voice. Complacency becomes your enemy. Self-serving politicians will take over for you if you don't participate and let them know what you want. Welcome to the wonderful world of democracy Egypt. Have fun listening to your politicians lie through their teeth and kiss your babies! LOL

February 11, 2011 at 10:51 pm |
  5. Mario Globetrotter

most memorable moment of the revolution "Mubarak, you have ugly face!" during Ron Allen's (NBC) report . . . a must see, "Freedom!!!!!!!"

February 11, 2011 at 10:51 pm |
  6. Maha

@Starr,
    We won't let them stay in prisons. The era of fear is over. That ship has sailed and we're ushering in a bright, new day. We've been set free, they will all be too.

February 11, 2011 at 10:51 pm |
  7. deborah bland hafidouni

the Egyptian people are not only admired but they will forever be heros to other countries who suffer. They stood strong with peace in there hearts and stood intelligent with keeping order. This will go down as an example for all troubled countries with dictators who rule. I am extremely proud to have seen this happen and will be more proud to see more peace and unity for all nations.

February 11, 2011 at 10:51 pm |
  8. Hazem

ongratulations to all of us Egyptians. The people of Egypt deserve this. The persistence to oust the corrupt government, bring justice and finally enjoy a better life that we all deserve has paid off. This is just the beginning...

February 11, 2011 at 10:51 pm |
  9. william

Isn't nice when good things happen?

February 11, 2011 at 10:51 pm |
  10. yasmin

This revolution is a textbook version of a peaceful revolution. The people of Egypt has spoken and taught us that non violence actions are the way to go. God rest the souls of the 300+ that have been unfortunately taken from us. They will never be forgotten for their deeds.

February 11, 2011 at 10:51 pm |
  11. Sue from Syracuse

I agree CNN, especially Anderson, has a big part of the credit in this victory for Egypt. You served the most important role of shining light on the truth.. which is the voice of the people of Egypt.. the masses who have been yearning for freedom from the dictator.. yearning for democracy.

February 11, 2011 at 10:50 pm |
  12. Ralph

is english a secondary language in egypt? i have been very impressed on how well so many people speak english there

February 11, 2011 at 10:50 pm |
  13. Nalini

An overwhelming thank you to the CNN journalists and crew for absolutely phenomenal coverage on this historic event. Tutankhamun
    and all the gods must be smiling. To Ivan, Ben, Arwa, Nic....phenomenal
    again is all I can say, also to Anderson, you are amazing and relentless,
    to Hala, Fred, everyone....for being genuine, and honest, and treating people with compassion and dignity.
    Please, Ben, Ivan, Nic, and Arwa...you need to sleep for a week and spend time with your families.

February 11, 2011 at 10:50 pm |
  14. Karoline, Los Angeles

I didn't know anything about Egyptian politics before this began to happen. It's astounding that person after person keeps saying how much they despise Mubarak and his regime. Talk about the pot boiling over.

February 11, 2011 at 10:50 pm |
  15. Sharif Fahmy

PROUD TO BE EGYPTIAN!!
    I want to thank Anderson for the coverage, for risking his life for us. The CNN camera (along with others) saved many lives.

Anderson, you were superb. At one point I felt you are an Egyptian; one of us! You really have a good grip and understanding of what's going on in Egypt. Although it's very complex and difficult to understand.

February 11, 2011 at 10:50 pm |
  16. Emily

@Jana, Georgia,
    "It would be nice if someone could have a sit down interview and hear what his thoughts on all of this is."
    I would certainly watch that!! Ben's knowledge of the region, the fact that he has a family there, what impact would this have on families, different generations, etc. There's so much that I'd like to know. He's provided great step-by-step moments of this. I'd love to someone to see what he thinks it's going to look like in the time ahead. I find it something when he talks about the fraudulent elections that happen.

February 11, 2011 at 10:49 pm |
  17. Nesa from Florida

Dear Anderson:

Thanks for the informative reporting on Egypt's uprising. As I look at you reporting, I can see the depth of feelings in your eyes for the people of Egypt. You feel their pain. Keep up the good reporting and 'keeping them honest'.

February 11, 2011 at 10:49 pm |
  18. Nadia

Anderson, Ben, Nic, Ivan, Fred, Arwa and Hala, Professor Ajami and the entire team.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your honest and courageous coverage. As an Egyptian living in North America, you made me feel part of all the events that ware going on in my homeland. Indeed, fear has been defeated and there's no turning back.

February 11, 2011 at 10:49 pm |
  19. ACMiller

Our local news reported that a former military officer living here in Portland, had spoken to his military contacts in Cairo, and was told that the Egyptian Military had advised Mubarak to resign or he would be arrested. Any way to verify that?

February 11, 2011 at 10:49 pm |
  20. Jo Ann, Ohio

@Starr, formerly known as vincent
    @Emily

I read that Iranian opposition groups are calling for marches on Monday to show their support for the Egyptian demonstrators. The Iranian government is already arresting the activists.

February 11, 2011 at 10:49 pm |
  21. Firasath

Anderson,

I have been following your coverage of Egypt's revolution 2.0 since it started. I want to thank you, Ben Wedeman, Hala Gorani, Ivan Watson, John King, Fuoud Ajami and all CNN staff from the bottom of my heart for keeping this story alive and in the process taking intimidation and physical abuse from Mubarak's thugs. THANK YOU!!

February 11, 2011 at 10:49 pm |
  22. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Karoline,
    Yes, Mubarak had worth 50 billion dollars!!!!!!*WHEW!*

February 11, 2011 at 10:49 pm |
  23. Mahmoud

for your continued coverage day to day I felt like I WAS in the middle of Tahrir square.
    We will forever be grateful to you and the CNN team for all the courage.

February 11, 2011 at 10:49 pm |
  24. Nick

How much damage was done to the museum?

February 11, 2011 at 10:48 pm |
  25. lilly

Anderson,
    We are all proud of you! You are these generation's Walter Conkrite. You became our country's voice during Hurricane Katrina. You became the world's voice when you spoke every night for the people of Egypt!

You and your CNN crew made us proud:)

February 11, 2011 at 10:48 pm |
  26. Hasem Khalil

Anderson I don't know how to thank you u did a great job covering Egypt protest .....you make me feel like you care from the bottom of your heart...
    we all thank you so much..
    you are a real man

February 11, 2011 at 10:48 pm |
  27. Rob B.

Is NO ONE concerned that the MILITARY is now in power and command an impressive offensive capabilities? What is to stop them from holding the people under a tighter grip compared to the old regime?

February 11, 2011 at 10:48 pm |
  28. Kathy from Vancouver BC

Social media. Facebook. And every phone has video and picture capabilities. He said. She said. Lets see what the video says...

February 11, 2011 at 10:48 pm |
  29. Kamal

Thanks for great coverage Anderson. Yo are part of the revolution. "Thanks from the heart really" as Khaled Abdullah told you

February 11, 2011 at 10:47 pm |
  30. Jerry

@Ranya
    That's so true. It really opens your eyes to what is going on around you and the hope is that this gives hope to all those that are oppressed that can rise up and demand change where they can live a free life free of a dictators control. My hope is that they can realise yes they can to effect a possible regime change in order to better their lives.

February 11, 2011 at 10:47 pm |
  31. Carolyn

@ Gloria – Egyptian Freedom, Freedom, Freedom... and a new wonderful day is born, indeed!!!

February 11, 2011 at 10:47 pm |
  32. Dian

Anderson, you are the best!!! I'm not egyptian, but for the past 18 days, I was with egyptian people – in spirit. What a great ending.

February 11, 2011 at 10:47 pm |
  33. Maha

@Amr Abbas,
    It would help if you start investing here a bit to help revive our ailing economy.

February 11, 2011 at 10:47 pm |
  34. Jana, Georgia

Just think a very NEW day is dawning for the Egyptian people in 30 years.

Good night everyone and I hope everyone has a good weekend.

February 11, 2011 at 10:47 pm |
  35. Miriam

Anderson, i really admire your work. I've been following your coverage in many events happening in the world. Your contribution to Egypt's revolution is huge. I will never forget when you said: fear has been defeated, there is not coming back"

February 11, 2011 at 10:46 pm |
  36. Tarek Salah

From the ppl of Egypt to the People of IRAN...we hand the Baton of Revolution to you 🙂 We all support the coming Iranian Revolution

February 11, 2011 at 10:45 pm |
  37. Sue from Syracuse

I am hearing that the Vice President Suleiman is not so much loved by the military. I hope the military recognizes that they are CUSTODIANS of power for the people at this time.. and it is really the PEOPLE who are in charge... and let FULL democracy emerge and flourish. This is absolutely critical.

February 11, 2011 at 10:45 pm |
  38. lisal -canada

it will be interesting to see how the tv, newspapers and other forms of media of the country progress

February 11, 2011 at 10:45 pm |
  39. chris gombar austell Ga

to the people of Egypt i am every happy for you and i have been watching the news and to see your face of joy and happynes it make me feel good that you are now free and that you over come so much and i hope that everything works out you all

February 11, 2011 at 10:45 pm |
  40. Emily

@lilly,
    "The egyptian people deserve the Nobel Peace Prize!"
    I wouldn't want to forget about Mohammed Bouaziz! He'd get my vote for 'person of the year' or 'person with the greatest impact'. No doubt that the Egyptian people do too, changes with Non-Violence, should never be overlooked!

February 11, 2011 at 10:45 pm |
  41. Starr, formerly known as vincent

@CAROLYNJ – the majority of the Iranian population is under 35 years of age. And,the present President (whose name i can't spell), his term will soon be ending.
    Perhaps then, there might be change, we can only hope.

@Maha -thank you for your response re: prisoners "walking out as we speak". That eases my mind.

February 11, 2011 at 10:45 pm |
  42. Karoline, Los Angeles

Wow. Mubarak is worth $50 billion?

February 11, 2011 at 10:45 pm |
  43. Sharon Hastings

Thank you to all of our Egyptian friends on the blog these past few nights. Thank you for your perspective and for educating us about your country and this revolution. I am so impressed with the Egyptian people. All blessings to your country now. Hard work to come but many rewards to come as well. You can hold your heads high because you did this without violence and showed your courage and character.

February 11, 2011 at 10:44 pm |
  44. Sue from Syracuse

Mona, I am not an Egyptian.. but today, I could be one! LOL. It is sso wonderful!
    I might go buy some Egyptian music or something and celebrate this Valentines' day with that! What a great start to this weekend!

February 11, 2011 at 10:44 pm |
  45. junghee lee

Congratulation to people of Egypt, Especially young people.
    It remind of me in Korea's 4.19 revolution in 1960. I hope new government stay stable, so it doesn't foot steps like Korea. It took another 30years to have real freedom in Korea. Congratulation!!!
    from Shenandoah,VA

February 11, 2011 at 10:44 pm |
  46. Amr Abbas

As American Egyptians, What can our role be to support the people? Do you know of any avenues

February 11, 2011 at 10:43 pm |
  47. Sahar from brookln,ny

I agree with khaled abdalla Muslim brotherhood are not as evil lik mubark regime picture them to the whole world, and I really like you Anderson you are a very polite person

February 11, 2011 at 10:43 pm |
  48. Sue from Syracuse

"Long live freedom, democracy and respect for humankind."
    DITTO! Thanks Mona.. and Congratulations to you too!!

February 11, 2011 at 10:43 pm |
  49. Lori

This has been an 18-day roller coaster ride.

February 11, 2011 at 10:43 pm |
  50. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Anderson,
    Thanks for coverage of Egypt since you left for Egypt since 18 days now..... You're my hero.... What you had wonderful experience your notebook reporter....... Congrats Anderson...... proud of you! 🙂

February 11, 2011 at 10:43 pm |