February 11th, 2011

Huge Crowds Celebrating Egypt's Revolution: Join the Live Chat

President Hosni Mubarak resigns in Egypt and Cairo's Liberation Square is still full of people. Some have been there from the beginning. Others came today to celebrate. Still others stopping by even now, just for a taste of the place that birthed a revolution. We'll have the latest developments and tonight's other headlines.

Want more details on what covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Dalia Amer

Dear Anderson,
    I am an Egyptian woman who lives in Canada.you Mr.Cooper and the team of CNN have been the eyes and ears of the outer world to watch and witness what happened in Egypt.I can't thank you enough for everything you have done to deliver the truth when many Egyptian media were lying to its own people.we saw you in the heart of Tahrir Square and we were watching when you were attacked by thugs.when you came back you did not stop standing up for the rights of my people.I posted your 360 videos on my F.B.during our debates to prove that we are on the right direction rejecting the Mubarak regime and many of my friends did the same.
    we are grateful for everything you did and the Egyptian people will never forget you and your honesty during the last 18 days.

February 11, 2011 at 10:43 pm |
  2. Lana-Ohio

It's been a long time since arabs have been seen in such a positive light. Remember arabs comprise of muslims and christians who work together,hand in hand... in everyday life to a one in a lifetime revolution.

February 11, 2011 at 10:42 pm |
  3. Carolyn

The Egyptian people have spoken... this is the beginning of something beautiful... the Egyptian people are beautiful and powerful... absolutely!!

February 11, 2011 at 10:42 pm |
  4. Walid Taman

How about freezing Mubarak's $50 billion, dividing that on 80 million people.........Each poor egyptian gets $62 million.

February 11, 2011 at 10:42 pm |
  5. Mona (Australia)

Thank you CNN for covering my beloved Egypt. Thank you Mr.Fouad Ajami for your passion and belief in Um El Donia.

I miss my homeland. I feel absolute pride and joy in the Egyptians' resolve and achievement. I pray that they remain united and shape their future with hope and trust.

Long live freedom, democracy and respect for humankind.

February 11, 2011 at 10:42 pm |
  6. Karoline, Los Angeles

I read a little about the Muslim Brotherhood. If what I read is true, their name pushes the buttons of some in the West, but they sound like a rational group.

February 11, 2011 at 10:42 pm |
  7. Mona

Anderson .. Thank you, for being the face of peace and showing the world the truth .. the people of Egypt had a lot of faith in the international media that they lacked in their country .. and you did not disappointed them. You are a HERO.

February 11, 2011 at 10:42 pm |
  8. Maha

The passion in Anderson's eyes is bringing tears to mine.

February 11, 2011 at 10:42 pm |
  9. Rob B.

"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely."

February 11, 2011 at 10:41 pm |
  10. Sue from Syracuse

I hope Egypt takes the best of the better democracies from around the world. Egypt... please dont be bashful in taking help. Dont try to re-invent everything. You need to move ahead swiftly.. otherwise, people will get frustrated... and it may lead to anger. So, take the better of the examples from around the world, and put together a Constitution with a process for reforming it that is solid.. with checks and balances.

February 11, 2011 at 10:41 pm |
  11. Jana, Georgia

So will the elections still wait till September to be held? Do I understand the military will be in charge till then?

February 11, 2011 at 10:41 pm |
  12. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

May joy and people be among the Egyptian people with freedom!

February 11, 2011 at 10:41 pm |
  13. LorrenP

Congratulations to the Egyptians for gaining their freedom from the dictatorship of Mubarak. Kudos to the reporters who kept this story alive so that the world does not forget. Now is the time for the Egyptians to be more vigilant. Make sure that the freedom you fought hard for with blood, sweat and tears not be taken away, squandered or abused.

February 11, 2011 at 10:41 pm |
  14. June

I'm so impressed and inspired by the qualities, intelligence and restraint shown by the Egyptian people. Hopefully this will give the terrorists of the world cause to rethink what they are doing and end that madness.

February 11, 2011 at 10:41 pm |
  15. samik

Its a true shame that the US has given billions of dollars in aid to a regime that has been as oppressive as Egypts. We need to be more careful in not supporting corrupt and abusive regimes. We should use our money to encourage positive things, not reinforce oppression.

February 11, 2011 at 10:41 pm |
  16. cicly

big thanks to john and wolf too. and the correspondents; all you guys and gals that worked so hard at cnn. thank you.

February 11, 2011 at 10:41 pm |
  17. Emily

@Jo Ann,
    "I hope today will be an inspiration to the Iranian people."
    I think they are an inspiration to many in the region. I remember when this first started, that Mike said that the Military should be in control; it would be great if it works out well. I wonder what the military is like in Iran today? Perhaps, it really would be an inspiration to the Iranian people!!

February 11, 2011 at 10:40 pm |
  18. Karoline, Los Angeles

Yay journalists for not backing down. Tragically, one died and others were injured, including Anderson, but the bravery of the journalists told Mubarak's regime that he wasn't totally in charge any more.

February 11, 2011 at 10:40 pm |
  19. Ahmed

Tahrir Square was jubilant today, people toppled the regime, with all his weapons, his troops, his tyranny. we won without even holding a stick. Peaceful revolutions do exist, and we'll tell our children and the world about it.

February 11, 2011 at 10:39 pm |
  20. shereen

mubarak wasnt a dictator or those crowds wouldnt have been able to march in the first place,and he wasnt sadam or they would have been killed.History will judge him to be the president who stepped down to prevent bloodshed.The protestors dont represent all egyptions only a percentage.As an egyption i was proud to have had him as my president.Usa and Israel watch out for a new Iran.

February 11, 2011 at 10:39 pm |
  21. Jo Ann, Ohio

@CAROLYNJ, "that crazy persian president ahmadeaijad."

Ahmadinejad is already trying to spin this to his own advantage.

February 11, 2011 at 10:39 pm |
  22. Andrea - MI

Did Anderson just say that both of the houses were going down? If so I am very curious what will happen next.

February 11, 2011 at 10:38 pm |
  23. Sharif

My name is Sharif. What happened in Egypt is outstanding. I am proud of what my country was able to do, how they handled things was fabulous. I appreciate everything you have done, going to Egypt, listening to the people and living everything with up, even getting hurt to make sure the story was told. I am upset about that and I wish you had been there to share the moment. I just wanted to express my gratitude to you and your colleagues. You all did an excellent job. I believe you love what you do and it shows because you are great at it. God Bless. From me and all the Egyptians Thank You.....

February 11, 2011 at 10:38 pm |
  24. Cessy - Chicago

Facebook? most of those people are poor!

if there's any credit to be given, it's the Egyptians who never gave up!

February 11, 2011 at 10:38 pm |
  25. cicly

and yes, through all your peacefulness,they still made sure to brutilize and kill. we share your pain in this too.

February 11, 2011 at 10:38 pm |
  26. Sue from Syracuse

I was so SO fortunate to be able to watch CNN almost all day long. I was GLUED to the TV... and luckily, have recorded about 4-5 hours worth. I intend to relish it all over again this weekend, with my school-going daughter, who was in school in her history teacher's class who shouted with glee at the announcement and projected live TV to the screen for all 7th graders to see... She came home so SO enthusiastic. I hope some Egyptians read this and understand how EXCITED ALL AMERICANS ARE with so much happiness. We are just thrilled!!!

February 11, 2011 at 10:38 pm |
  27. yasmin

Mr Ghonim is 100% right. Mubarak and Suleiman must be punished for the 300+ people they have killed in this revolution. Sure Mubarak has fled from his palace but he should not be able to flee from the punishment he deserves.

February 11, 2011 at 10:38 pm |
  28. Rob B.

I must say again, how can the Egyptian people rely on the new, military-based government to give up their control? I just don't see how this is progress...

February 11, 2011 at 10:38 pm |
  29. Tom_in_Toronto

Congratulations to the people of Egypt on your self liberation

February 11, 2011 at 10:37 pm |
  30. Ranya

@Jerry

I totally agree those of us who experienced oppression, or still do, have a completely different outlook and passion about what's going on in our world!

February 11, 2011 at 10:37 pm |
  31. Babu, Texas

@Lilarose in Oregon
    @Starr, formerly known as vincent
    @Jo Ann, Ohio

Re to post: I was wondering that too. I thought i heard the young executive of Google say they are looking for them.

He may is follower of El Baradei, hence he may also be a Muslim Brotherhood. He might have gone underground misusing Google & Facebook again as he used for revolution to throw Mubarak.
    Let see if he is for liberty of Egyptian people & democracy or sharia law in Egypt.

February 11, 2011 at 10:37 pm |
  32. Maha

@Starr
    Wael Ghonim announced the revolution's demands a while ago. One of these demands was the release of all protesters and all political prisoners. Several should be walking out as we speak.

February 11, 2011 at 10:37 pm |
  33. Emily

Wael Ghonim is a very inspirational young man.
    Really great to hear him so happy! I hope that he can be instrumental in helping Egypt setting up a democracy. He seems to be a natural leader and Very Sincere! Thank you, Mr. Ghonim for that.

February 11, 2011 at 10:37 pm |
  34. Eugenio del Hoyo

Dear Anderson: We, your audience want to know more about your stay in Cairo. Please Tell and show us your terrible experience there.

February 11, 2011 at 10:37 pm |
  35. Maria Mellano

My husband and I spoke with my father in law in Iran 2 days ago- he said the government is rounding people up out of control tactics and fear-per my father in law, 10 people had been hung already. I send my prayers daily there and pray the victory for Egypt can spread to Iran. The Iranian people want the same freedom. Thank you Egypt for this inspiration.

February 11, 2011 at 10:37 pm |
  36. Karoline, Los Angeles

I think the Egyptians setting up camps in the square sent a powerful signal to the dictators.

February 11, 2011 at 10:36 pm |
  37. lilly

@ Emily and @ Cessy

The egyptian people deserve the Nobel Peace Prize!

February 11, 2011 at 10:36 pm |
  38. Vincent Blas

I'm a bit of a cynic...sorry. We're going to have to be patient and realistic. Real, positive, and permanent changes–the one's that really matter–have not occurred. Let's not jump the shark, just yet.

February 11, 2011 at 10:36 pm |
  39. CAROLYNJ

@ vincent, you are so correct on what the iranians will do to their ppl, sad.
    however iran is the problem in the middle east, the older generation, it is spilling over into lebanon... that crazy persian president ahmadeaijad.

February 11, 2011 at 10:35 pm |
  40. Mai

Dear Anderson,

I admired your fresh views into the crisis. It was honest but brutal at the same time. Egypt owes your makeup call to American people exposing the Egyptian government consistent lies and deception. America lost a hippocrates to gain 82 million new friends.
    Thank you.
    Mai

February 11, 2011 at 10:35 pm |
  41. Ismaeil

Dear Anderson, Ben, Ivan, Nic and 360 team,

I would like to thank you from the bottom of my heart. You guys have done a tremendous job in covering these historical events in Egypt. Kudos to you and your team for the good work. 2 are down and 20 more to go! I hope the next one is Ghadafi!

Keep up the good work

Ismaeil

February 11, 2011 at 10:35 pm |
  42. Carolyn

Wael Ghonim... is a great voice... for Egypt and the world.

February 11, 2011 at 10:35 pm |
  43. Emily

@Maha,
    That's another point.
    "Gamal's current net worth is around $10 Billion alone" I wonder if his family is going to be accountable for anything? In someways, I don't blame them, as look who their father is, and how they grew up. I wonder if they will stay in Egypt? So many questions...

February 11, 2011 at 10:35 pm |
  44. Khaldun

Egypt will emerge as "The New China" of Middle East and the world .. Great potential for an Industrial nation with passion and determined people who believe in GOD.
    Egypt is the only hope for Middle East ..
    Go Forward ..Have your moment and enjoy it ..

February 11, 2011 at 10:34 pm |
  45. Janis

@Rashid Yes, I agree with you. This is a problem of the entire world if the financial markets are global. International regulations.

February 11, 2011 at 10:34 pm |
  46. Jo Ann, Ohio

@Starr, formerly known as vincent, "However, their Army & secret police will Not protect them."

Unfortunately, that is true, but anything is possible and they should not give up.

February 11, 2011 at 10:34 pm |
  47. Cessy - Chicago

I'd like to hear what Ben Wedeman has to say. It must be an overwhelming experience to live and report what is happening in Egypt!

February 11, 2011 at 10:34 pm |
  48. Hamid Mousa

Wael is a champ

February 11, 2011 at 10:34 pm |
  49. Ranya

Dr. Fouad Ajami, your input is so valuable. Not only you're so eloquent and classy in your speech, you pack so much wisdom in so little words, I wish you appear more on TV or even have your own show! Thank you for all the time you spent on this story and for all the light you brought on this.

February 11, 2011 at 10:34 pm |
  50. Sue from Syracuse

Anderson, Greeting... and I *LOVED* your opening greeting to the people of Egypt. With such a greeting, there is great hope for peaceful co-existence... and even more.. FRIENDSHIP, around the world. THANK YOU!

February 11, 2011 at 10:34 pm |