February 11th, 2011

Huge Crowds Celebrating Egypt's Revolution: Join the Live Chat

President Hosni Mubarak resigns in Egypt and Cairo's Liberation Square is still full of people. Some have been there from the beginning. Others came today to celebrate. Still others stopping by even now, just for a taste of the place that birthed a revolution. We'll have the latest developments and tonight's other headlines.

Want more details on what covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Paula, Colorado

So far, the Egyptian people have ensured that the uncertainty of future happenings doesn't result in chaos–the outcome has been positive. Hopefully, things will continue this way.

February 11, 2011 at 10:34 pm |
  2. lilly

@ Manalita

No thank you and your fellow Egyptians! You made us believe and see that freedom is possible wthout the use of any weapons. Just peaceful protests:)

February 11, 2011 at 10:34 pm |
  3. Nalini

The trillion question now is "Who will form the new democratic? government?" I do not look forward to O. Suleiman's rule.

February 11, 2011 at 10:34 pm |
  4. Jacqueline Crystal

Right on, Casey from Chicago!

February 11, 2011 at 10:33 pm |
  5. Carolyn

@ Ida – I too am so impressed with Fouad Ajami's knowledge and all of his wise commentary throughout the unfolding events in Egypt... Bravo!!

February 11, 2011 at 10:33 pm |
  6. Jana, Georgia

@Emily, that is a good question about Ben. It would be nice if someone could have a sit down interview and hear what his thoughts on all of this is. Would that be a conflict of interest if he did? To talk about what he has been reporting and feeling?

February 11, 2011 at 10:33 pm |
  7. Soher Bishai

Dear Anderson
    Listening to you during the past few weeks was refreshing, I felt you were genuinly with the Egyptian people, your love admiration and understanding came across loud and clear. You and your team did a wonderful professional job and sorry for the bad experience on the hand of the "Mubarak supporters".
    Today I cried when I heard the first American broadcaster greeting me in my own language here in my new home America. God bless you and I hope you continue to support the Egyptian cause and revolution for years to come.

February 11, 2011 at 10:33 pm |
  8. Sue from Syracuse

DEAR EGYPTIANS, CONGRATULATIONS!!! You have done something truly unprecedented. And it touches us lovers of democracy to the very core!!

February 11, 2011 at 10:33 pm |
  9. Starr, formerly known as vincent

@Maha – do you know of any active movement to locate all those demonstrators that were arrested and jailed?
    I hope they have been released to join the celebration.

February 11, 2011 at 10:32 pm |
  10. Joe F

Our media and the intelligence community always miss or choose to miss the writing on the wall. The Iranian revolution was conceived, inspired, lead, and executed by religion and religious figure, Ayatoallah Khomini. The demonstrators in the streets of Tihran were carrying the pictures of Khomini. The Egyptian revolution is conceived, inspired, and lead by young people using facebook and twiiter with no pictures of any figure, but calling for freedom. Yet we choose to miss all that. I have no doubt in my mind that the the American administration will miss out on this revolution because they ignored the elephant in the room.

February 11, 2011 at 10:32 pm |
  11. Lori

May the people of Egypt have peace and prosperity in their future.

February 11, 2011 at 10:32 pm |
  12. chris gombar

Mohamed i am happy for you and your people you all have over come so much to get here and i hope that you and your people in joy your new found freedom

February 11, 2011 at 10:32 pm |
  13. Cessy - Chicago

Anderson, AC360, CNN Int'l correspondents and crew... hard work prevails!

February 11, 2011 at 10:32 pm |
  14. Emily

@Anderson,
    How do you feel seeing this?
    From where things were when you were in Egypt, and in 24 hours, Mubarak hands over powers to Suleiman for less than a day, and now the Military's in control. What do you think of all this? I hope that you're proud of all the extensive well-rounded coverage that you've put into this.

February 11, 2011 at 10:32 pm |
  15. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Cessy – Chicago
    I vote the Egyptians for CNN Hero 2011.

You'll need a bigger studio.

Well Cessy......
    We do that for vote Egyptian in the year of 2011 or Heroes in the year.

February 11, 2011 at 10:31 pm |
  16. Salma

I am SO proud of the Egyptian people. They have been incredibly smart, resilient, brave, and determined. This has been such an inspiration to the entire world, and to me personally because I was born in Cairo. The moment the first martyr went down, I knew that the Egyptian people weren't going to stop until all their demands were met because Egyptians treasure each life- something Mubarak and his regime thought was worthless.

February 11, 2011 at 10:31 pm |
  17. Jerry

@Ranya
    Neither am I although I am an American of Palestinian Descent so I have been following these events closely. I am happy for the Egyptian people and that i hope they can realise their aspirations for a fully democratic and prosperous country. I also hope that this leads to a new middle east.

February 11, 2011 at 10:31 pm |
  18. Karoline, Los Angeles

So what happens next? Do they start with rewriting the constitution?

February 11, 2011 at 10:31 pm |
  19. Jo Ann, Ohio

I wonder if the Egyptian people knew that they would get so much support from the rest of the world?

February 11, 2011 at 10:31 pm |
  20. Omar

Anderson,

Thank you for the wonderful work you have done in the past 18 days in covering the revolution in Egypt. You did a very distinguished job compared to the other TV stations.

I believe that the Muslim Brotherhood will nicely surprise us as the Egyptian people did in the past 18 days.

Keep up the good work 🙂

February 11, 2011 at 10:30 pm |
  21. Dan from Chicago, IL

This is the single most greatest thing for the Arab world. I pray for their swift democratically elected government to provide the freedoms that all of God's children need to enjoy. I also pray that these young Egyptians can be a model for all Muslims and non-Muslims alike in the middle east to be a more peaceful, loving and tolerate people that rises up against terrorist networks and regimes.

February 11, 2011 at 10:30 pm |
  22. Evan

Wonderful! Truly living history. The entire tale has yet to be told. Fouad Ajami adds incredible value to a lay-person's insight. Go Egypt!

February 11, 2011 at 10:30 pm |
  23. abu nasser

Anderson , You are now my Hero , God bless You Son .

February 11, 2011 at 10:30 pm |
  24. Starr, formerly known as vincent

@JoAnn – i echo your sentiment for the Iranian people. However, their Army & secret police will Not protect them.
    They are likely to be slaughtered like they were the last time they tried to demonstrate.

February 11, 2011 at 10:29 pm |
  25. Janet

For the first time in my life I am proud to say that I am Egyptian American!

Thank you Anderson and CNN for your excellent and true reporting.

February 11, 2011 at 10:29 pm |
  26. Ranya

@DEBBIE
    I think it partially has to do with the fact that the US gov. has supported the dictator for the last 30 years. I think their frustration is understandable, but not alarming. Americans and American values are loved in the Middle East.

February 11, 2011 at 10:29 pm |
  27. Sahar from brookln,ny

Please send my best regards and wishes to Ben , Ivan ,area and Fred in Egypt
    appreciate what thier doing there

February 11, 2011 at 10:29 pm |
  28. Estela

What a great moment!!! I pray and hope that truth and justice will continue to prevail in Egypt! May God Almighty allow the Egyptians to become successful! Anderson you are amazing at your job!

February 11, 2011 at 10:29 pm |
  29. M Salah

Dear Anderson, I would like to thank you and credit your sincerer emotion I could tell, you believed in this cause, without you and the great team on CNN there will be more blood not only on the Square but all over the country
    God bless you
    happy with this end but the Army will slow down this processor , Egypt is very poor country and for long time do not know democracy
    Please keep them honest at least once every other week

February 11, 2011 at 10:29 pm |
  30. Dolores

Anderson, Please convey our sincere thanks to Fouad. Having him with us each night from the beginning has been like having a gentle, learned grandfather at our side, explaining things to us. When I was ill last night, physically ill because of the patronizing tone both Mubarak and Suleiman conveyed, Fouad's steely and contained anger, if that's the right word, was calming and inspirational. He is quite a special man. He has been a good partner for you, Ben, Hala, Ivan, Arwa and Frederick. And we appreciate you all.

February 11, 2011 at 10:29 pm |
  31. Katina

Something remarkable happened today – the people of Egypt claimed their country. I'm not Egyptian, nor do I even have any Egyptian friends – but this event is such a wonderfully powerful accomplishment for the people of Egypt that it was hard to hold back tears. Hopefully, this event will send a message to the rest of the Arab world that there is power in the will of the people and as President Obama mentioned – in the desire of the human soul to be free.

February 11, 2011 at 10:28 pm |
  32. Hanna

Muslims Brotherhood can't be trusted.

We shouldn't be fooled, MB are not a political parties, never been, they are a religious parties who use politics to take government and power.

Now, they have the freedom to start implementing their agenda.

February 11, 2011 at 10:28 pm |
  33. fahmi

Q- Zain Alabddin is Down, Mubarak is Down,and about twenty dictators still in office,Who do you think is "Next"?

February 11, 2011 at 10:28 pm |
  34. Manalita

Greetings from Egypt , thanks for all those who believed in us, supported us and hailed us ... It's almost impossible to depict such indescribable joy... the joy of breathing freedom. verily, freedom itself is a responsibility... a huge responsibility that we are to take in order to bring up our newly born Egypt in a better way than ever and insha' Allah , we are for it 🙂

February 11, 2011 at 10:28 pm |
  35. Ramzi Roshdi

Egyptian National in Cleveland Ohio had a triple bypass Jan 4 .

February 11, 2011 at 10:28 pm |
  36. Ida and Paul Vissiere

We have been watching the Egyptian Revolution everyday since it started. We especially have been impressed with Dr. Fouad Ajami's knowledge and commentary throughout the unfolding events. Please continue to have him on your show. We have learned so much about the history of the Egyptian people from him. Please give him kudos for the outstanding job he has done!

February 11, 2011 at 10:28 pm |
  37. Nina

As an Egyptian I want to thank you for all the amazing coverage you have done. If it wasn't for you and all the other journalists in tahrir square the govt would have killed all these people.Today is a historic day for us Egyptians because we have reclaimed our country back.

February 11, 2011 at 10:28 pm |
  38. Rashid Hassan

Regarding Mubarak's swiss accounts being frozen, these banks – if you want to call them banks – should be held accountable for helping these dictators loot their countries. why would a bank facilitate a dictator to rob his country for so long and all over sudden be on the right side when he is no longer in power. I wonder how many more living dictators accounts are still open. Don't you think there should be some sort of banking law or regulation that prohibits banks to launder this kind of fund for these dictators.

February 11, 2011 at 10:28 pm |
  39. Emily

What does Ben Wedeman think, personally, of all that's been happening in Egypt over the last 24 hours? (since he lives there, what does he think it's going to be like, etc)

February 11, 2011 at 10:28 pm |
  40. gerald larson

Been watching. I think your coverage has been awsome with brave reporters to get out in the crowd. Sorry to here ac was accosted. I wonder if Iran is watching?

February 11, 2011 at 10:28 pm |
  41. Jo Ann, Ohio

The success of this revolution belongs to the Egyptian people with an assist from the media and Facebook

No one else, not even the US, can take credit for it.

February 11, 2011 at 10:28 pm |
  42. Cessy - Chicago

after the revolution in the Philippines ousting Marcos, a woman was elected President backed by the Military. after her term the former chief-of-staff of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (under Marcos Adm )became the President...

it'll be interesting to see

February 11, 2011 at 10:27 pm |
  43. chris gombar

i am every happy that the egyptian people are free i hope that they injoy there new found freedom

February 11, 2011 at 10:27 pm |
  44. Rajia Hassib

As an Egyptian living in West Virginia, I want to say thank you, Anderson, to you and to all the CNN team (Ben, Hala, Nic, Ivan, Arwa . . .). I've been glued to the TV for the past 18 days and you have made me feel close to my home country even as I helplessly watched my people fight for their freedom from so far away. And, more importantly, I do believe that your presence as well as the presence of other international media has played a huge role in preventing further atrocities from happening. Thank you, thank you, thank you!
    P.S.: I add my vote to the honorary citizenship offer 🙂

February 11, 2011 at 10:27 pm |
  45. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Jana,
    Yes, They do!!!!! They are so tired since 2 weeks now....... I agree with yours. 🙂

February 11, 2011 at 10:27 pm |
  46. Maha

@Emily,
    No one knows and chances are we'll never really know for sure. I know his younger son, Gamal's current net worth is around $10 Billion alone. So, it would be fair to say that his brother has has around the same amount and the parents may have around $20 Billion.

February 11, 2011 at 10:27 pm |
  47. Andrea - MI

My hope is that the military will take care of what the people want, and not go back to status quo. Do we know how long the military will be taking control for?

February 11, 2011 at 10:26 pm |
  48. Rob B.

I'm sure someone has expressed this already, but here it goes...

By no means am I an expert or even a "student" of foreign affairs, but do the Egyptian people really have that much faith in their military to be responsible enough to give up their newly found power when the time comes? Sounds like they traded one dictator for another.

February 11, 2011 at 10:26 pm |
  49. Mohammad AL-Qatamin North Carolina

Dear Anderson; I have been watching you for almost five years, you are the best i have seen ever...and at this time you are a hero a great hero for Egypt and for all the people worldwide... you are a great guy and we wish you the best in your life !!

February 11, 2011 at 10:26 pm |
  50. Ziad

I would like to thank all those who reported from Egypt, and I am sorry for all those who were harmed

February 11, 2011 at 10:26 pm |