February 11th, 2011

Huge Crowds Celebrating Egypt's Revolution: Join the Live Chat

President Hosni Mubarak resigns in Egypt and Cairo's Liberation Square is still full of people. Some have been there from the beginning. Others came today to celebrate. Still others stopping by even now, just for a taste of the place that birthed a revolution. We'll have the latest developments and tonight's other headlines.

Want more details on what covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. yasmin

Hey Cooper!
    Go get some rest. You and the whole CNN crew deserve a vacation for the long hours of intense and accurate coverage.

February 11, 2011 at 10:26 pm |
  2. Mohammed Abdellah

Mr. Cooper, you and your team have done a great job getting the Egyptian people`s voice out calling for freedom. You are part of this. I can`t thank you enough. I want to say that I have never been proud to be Egyptian, we have been underestimated, we have proved to the whole world that we are a peacful, civilized and modern nation.
    God bless Egypt and the revolution.

February 11, 2011 at 10:26 pm |
  3. Jacqueline Crystal

P.S. Well done, Anderson Cooper. You made us feel that we, too, were there.

February 11, 2011 at 10:26 pm |
  4. lilly

Maha and Ahmed congratulations on what your country accomplished. I wanted to cry this morning when I first woke up in saw the news this morning.

February 11, 2011 at 10:26 pm |
  5. Sharon Hastings

@Malcolm Kirkland: Absolutely I do believe that social networking and texting and all the new technologies set the stage for this revolution to organize and inform itself and to encourage each other to continue.

February 11, 2011 at 10:26 pm |
  6. Nicole Netherlands

@ Jo Ann, I hope today will be an inspiration to the Iranian leadership/ dictators!!!

February 11, 2011 at 10:25 pm |
  7. Emily

@Nicole Netherlands,
    "My heart goes out to the sons, uncles, fathers, who died to get this freedom"

It would be great if a memorial were built in their memory. I'm sure that they will never be forgotten and it's great to see the ending that happened today. Thank goodness no one else died today.

February 11, 2011 at 10:25 pm |
  8. Maria Mellano

Victory for the Egyptian people for freedom. So beautiful to see this outcome. I pray the victories for change continue. Anderson~ you're the best. Thank you for the story night after night. What has occurred from these protests is an inspiration to us all. We can all learn from this.

February 11, 2011 at 10:25 pm |
  9. Ahmed

These events as they unfold remind us of a very important core value we have here in the states. As much as democrats and republicans may seem to have irreconcilable differences at times, but we always agree on one core value, one simple human principle, that we are one nation under God, with liberty and freedom for ALL..

February 11, 2011 at 10:25 pm |
  10. Kathy from Vancouver BC

I do wish all the Egyptians well in their pursui of democracy. Could be the first one built upon heart and soul. Not bloodshed. I know you will handle it well ! The unity that held in the square will bring you through what will be very tough imes in the short term but stability for the long term. The future is in your palms and I am so proud and humbled to watch.
    Go Egypt Go !
    And thankyou CNN for keeping all this in the forefront for all those brave souls

February 11, 2011 at 10:25 pm |
  11. Anna

My high school history class has been talking about this miraculous revolution over the last 18 days, and to see the power of the protesters coming together and beating the odds is truly inspiring. Shows how peace can be found by common people working for a cause higher than themselves.

February 11, 2011 at 10:25 pm |
  12. Nader- NY,NY

First of all I'd like to thank you Anderson for your courage and outstanding, professional coverage in Egypt. I have never been more proud to be an Egyptian. Now we must focus on re-building Egypt. We are all a part of history. Thank you and God bless.

February 11, 2011 at 10:25 pm |
  13. su hail

FOR FUOAD ADJAMI ;

is it true that people in the democratic procession were educated with teachings of gandhi and martin luther king??
    did wael promoted such info on the website to educate people??
    i saw a clip on al jazeera that people translated teaching of martin luther in a rabic- and so the protest was peaceful...

February 11, 2011 at 10:25 pm |
  14. Mohamed from Egypt

Thank you Anderson. Thank you from all of Egypt. Thanks to Hala, Fouad, Ben, Ivan, and all..., You informed, highlighted, explained, put things in perspective, and helped keep the world's eye on us.

February 11, 2011 at 10:25 pm |
  15. Sahar from brookln,ny

I agree with Dr ajami , but I assure you that Egyptions will be fine with the determination they have

February 11, 2011 at 10:25 pm |
  16. DEBBIE

I have been crying & cheering all day. With that said, I would like to know why some of the (young)Egyptians would tweet or tell news camera's "(Westerner's) leave us alone"....and immediately turn and say "America/Obama isn't do enough!". ???
    I haven't been THIS glued to the the tv since the Pope passed away. Please don't think I'm belittling anyone...I'm fascinated by what has happend. They are changing the world in front of us!

February 11, 2011 at 10:24 pm |
  17. Carolyn

@ Gloria – I love President Barack Obama's words, and I realize that Egypt needs friends from all over the world, but they really do need to be in charge of there very own new Government... True Freedom At Last!!

February 11, 2011 at 10:24 pm |
  18. Ranya

@Jerry
    I'm not Egyptian, but I was literally jumping up and down when I heard the news today. I think it's a great day for Egyptians and all those who stand for Democracy and Freedom, especially those who don't have it! The Tunisian and Egyptian people are great example in our day of how the word “impossible” is not true!

February 11, 2011 at 10:24 pm |
  19. Ahmed

History teaches us that quite so often revolutions devour their own children, and quite so often the bad guys end up in charge, it happened in the French, Russian and Iranian revolutions.. I hope this will not be the case in Egypt.

February 11, 2011 at 10:24 pm |
  20. Laurie

You are so right to give us access to Fouad Ajami in large doses right now. Never let him go! What a gift to hear his views. Thank you.

February 11, 2011 at 10:24 pm |
  21. Hamid Mousa

The Egyptain people has restored dignity to the Arab people. I hope I see such a revolution for the Palestinian people one day in my life
    Anderson, thank you for great reporting on this situation

February 11, 2011 at 10:24 pm |
  22. Khaldun

Let the people of Egypt have their moment. They will choose the best person for them. They are determined people.
    I think the picture would have been different if someone other than Obama was in office ..Think about if this revolution happened 3 years ago .. God Bless Freedom and USA ..
    Cooper, I think you prevented a massacre from happening in Egypt last week .. Great Job man ..

February 11, 2011 at 10:24 pm |
  23. Sandra

Wow, my husband and I are so happy for the Egyptian people...this movement also affects Americans. Thanks, Anderson Cooper, for the breaking stories.

February 11, 2011 at 10:24 pm |
  24. Jo Ann, Ohio

I hope today will be an inspiration to the Iranian people.

February 11, 2011 at 10:23 pm |
  25. Malcolm Kirkland

I was so impressed by the peaceful behaviour of the "mob" and the individual articulation of the Egyptians interviewed. I wonder how Americans would come across.

I wondering if social networking & texting has created a new way to spread positive behaviour...like a school of fish seeming to be one in the face of a predator

February 11, 2011 at 10:23 pm |
  26. Emily

@Maha,
    I thought that figure was quite alot, however, over time with inflation, that's probably what he's stolen from the people.

February 11, 2011 at 10:23 pm |
  27. Sharon Hastings

Despite some confusion and criticism of the White House, I do believe that President Obama and Vice President Biden, along with Hillary Clinton helped broker this deal with the military leaders in Egypt. Mubarak wanted a last ditch effort to salvage his regime but it didn't work.

February 11, 2011 at 10:23 pm |
  28. Anne Dodds Canada

What an amazing day,I saw you smiling a genuine smile for the first time in a long time,Anderson, after all that has happened I would like to bet that to-day you would have loved to be back in Egypt.
    You and your colleagues kept the revolution in our homes, and the people of Egypt in our hearts.
    I congratulate all of the reporters who put there lives on the line, to bring us the day to day news, of the fight for freedom of every-one involved.
    You were determined to not let us forget, and you did, that is one of the reasons that you are in my mind the best.
    Thank you. Sleep Well to-night.

February 11, 2011 at 10:23 pm |
  29. halil simsek

what is really happening?
    why did he(Mubarak)himself not announce his resignation?
    why is he in Sharm al-Shaikh? what does he have there? a presidential residence? or a private retreat? was he sent there by the army against his will?
    is what happened not, in fact, a military takeover?

February 11, 2011 at 10:23 pm |
  30. Cessy - Chicago

I vote the Egyptians for CNN Hero 2011.

You'll need a bigger studio.

February 11, 2011 at 10:22 pm |
  31. Marcella

I am elated about today's events in Egypt, but I think we all need to understand more about the Egyptian military. This mostly peaceful revolution could not have taken place without the cooperation of the military. More details please.

Marcella

February 11, 2011 at 10:22 pm |
  32. Karen, MN

I love it when good wins over evil.

February 11, 2011 at 10:22 pm |
  33. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Kelly, PA
    So will Mubarak leave Egypt? Could he be tried for human rights violations?

Kelly,
    Yes, He is also tried for human rights against own people........ That will not acceptable abuse against own people.... He already left now.

February 11, 2011 at 10:22 pm |
  34. cicly

the people of iran tried to speak for change, a couple of years ago. the brutality that ensued was devestating to see.

February 11, 2011 at 10:22 pm |
  35. Starr, formerly known as vincent

@Lilarose in Oregon

I noticed your post re: where are all of the protestors that were locked up during the two days of violence.

I was wondering that too. I thought i heard the young executive of Google say they are looking for them.

February 11, 2011 at 10:22 pm |
  36. Rose

This is a great moment for Egypt and for the world. The baby boomers lived with the war in southeast Asia; their children have lived in the shadow of terrorism; and now, perhaps, their grandchildren can grow up in a world with renewed hope for peace. We must trust the Egyptian people to shine the light of democracy, freedom and peace on a part of the world where people have lived in the darkness of oppression and extremism for so long. They deserve our help, our support and our faith.

February 11, 2011 at 10:22 pm |
  37. Cat's Eye

I want to thank you as an Egyptian-American for your superb reporting from Egypt. This is a moment I waited for for 30 years. Anderson Cooper, Ben Wedeman, Hala Gorbani, and Ivan Watson brought us so close to people in Medan Tahrir and kept us connected with the revolution. You deserve a medal for this great job.

February 11, 2011 at 10:22 pm |
  38. Nicole Netherlands

@ Phyl from Motown, the 11th of february turns out to be a date of hope for the planet and it's people!
    We can change, we don't have to be stuck in the negative version of "what's going on"
    I will never forget that day 21 years ago! and will never forget this day (s) either..

February 11, 2011 at 10:21 pm |
  39. Babu, Texas

Anderson it would be a jackpot if they go after Muslim brotherhood funding for this revolution and future activities instead of going after past financial activities.
    I think Mubarak should be allowed to leave alone in dignity for saving Egypt from Muslim brotherhood & peace in Middle East last 30 years and protect Egypt from future Muslim brotherhood takeover.
    And where was Fouad Ajami last 10-15 years, why didn’t he come to cable to speak out then, I don’t trust this guy. History will tell us whatever is telling is truth or wrong.

February 11, 2011 at 10:21 pm |
  40. Maha

@ Emily
    Thank you so much. I really appreciate your kind words. What a wonderful moment for humanity.

February 11, 2011 at 10:21 pm |
  41. Jann Segal

What became of that StateTV reporter who quit her job in protest last week and was on AC 360? Did she go back to her job or leave the country??

February 11, 2011 at 10:21 pm |
  42. Sharon from Canada

Egypt is free now but let us not forget the brave young girl Asmaa Mahfouz who started this revolution. I am sure the first days she started to protest all thought she was mad, but look what her bravery has done, set a country free. She should run for elections without her where would Egypt be today?

February 11, 2011 at 10:21 pm |
  43. Kaylynn Strain

I'm a Polish American Muslim in Des Moines, Iowa. thanks to you and your colleagues I felt like I WAS in the middle of Tahrir square from day 1! there is no word in any language to express what you did in bringing this warp speed revolution to the world. tha language of my ancestors says as much as anyone can say to you and to Egypt...GRATULATJE!!

February 11, 2011 at 10:21 pm |
  44. Ziad

Islam is very popular in Egypt, but the same cannot be said for the Muslim Brotherhood, at least for now !!!

February 11, 2011 at 10:21 pm |
  45. Ed

Thank you Anderson for keeping this story going and alive. International media was a BIG part of assisting this great day to happen!

February 11, 2011 at 10:21 pm |
  46. Jerry

Hi everyone glad to see you all here on this wonderious occasion for all Egyptians.

February 11, 2011 at 10:20 pm |
  47. mohammad

Anderson Cooper has been a true example about caring for the revolution from his heart, thank you..

February 11, 2011 at 10:20 pm |
  48. Jo Ann, Ohio

@Jana,Georgia, "I hope now Ben, Ivan, Nic, and Arwa can get some time off and get some rest. They all deserve it."

Hi Jana! They certainly deserve it, but they have a lot more to do.

February 11, 2011 at 10:20 pm |
  49. Salma

CNN has done a great job in reporting the accurate information about what's going on in Egypt!! So proud of the Egyptians. The Egyptians have spoken the truth! 30 years of dictatorship required 18 days of protests. This will be noted in History forever.

February 11, 2011 at 10:20 pm |
  50. Cessy - Chicago

so the big question is? WHO was the person who convinced Mubarak to step down?

February 11, 2011 at 10:20 pm |