February 10th, 2011

Mubarak Defies Rumors, Not Stepping Down: Join the Live Chat

The biggest protest yet could take place in Cairo Friday after President Mubarak defied rumors and didn't not step down. Instead he "delegated powers" to the his vice president. We'll have the latest developments from Egypt and tonight's other headlines.

Want more details on what covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Ellen Minnesota

No head of state should have so much wealth - and other people in the country have no home or food and live with poor sanitation. When he steps down, the money should go back to Egypt.

February 10, 2011 at 11:48 pm |
  2. Nalini

@ Ranya. From what I have heard from both muslims and non-muslims,
    is a religious code of living, derived from the teachings of the Q'uran
    in the same way as the Bible provides the morals to Christians.
    It supports though the brutal treatment and abuse of women as is clearly stated by Ayann Hirschi Ali, a Somalian who sought refuge in the Netherlands some years ago..she was actually on AC's show recently.
    Also the stoning of Sakineh in Iran , and essentially many atrocities not condoned by the Western world.

February 10, 2011 at 11:48 pm |
  3. Emily

@Maha,
    "Please say a prayer for us and keep those wonderful positive thoughts and the great support coming. It really helps."
    Thanks to Anderson and the AC360°Crew for covering Egypt & keeping it in the spotlight. There are many who are saying prayers for you all there in Egypt!

February 10, 2011 at 11:46 pm |
  4. Darlena - SC

With capable journalists in Egypt, I think AC360 is more effective being in NY. It's been interesting to get input from the Egyptian bloggers.

February 10, 2011 at 11:46 pm |
  5. Melissa

My husband and I are so proud of the great people of Egypt

February 10, 2011 at 11:46 pm |
  6. Maha

@Emily

You wrote:
    They DID win, however, I don't think they feel that way.

They do know that they've got the upper hand here. Even though they don't have a single weapon other than some stones and some makeshift head protection (pot and pans included), they know they're the stronger side. They're just a bit deflated. Everyone is. We thought we were there, now we realize we're not that close and need to go back and push again.

February 10, 2011 at 11:46 pm |
  7. Lindsey (Canada)

@Todd: It would be hard to say, how entrenched is China with Egypt in terms of common interests?

February 10, 2011 at 11:45 pm |
  8. Jerry Self

I just have one thing to say to President Mubarak.

Egyptian democracy, ready or not, here it comes!

February 10, 2011 at 11:45 pm |
  9. T Kara

Perhaps what accounts for Mubarak's confidence is the fact that he has accounted for the loyalty of the senior military staff and cannot foresee any posssible oppostiion within the military. He does not appear to be afflicted with much doubt. If the country has come to such a standstill, then time beocomes a factor particularly to the regime. Perhaps the best hope is if the protests continue to grow nationwide..size and determination may matter. God bless the Egyptian people

February 10, 2011 at 11:45 pm |
  10. Carolyn

There really are so many Heroes, in Egypt and all around the world... thank you for this extended coverage AC360... take care Anderson and everyone... "Peaceful People Power" continues... Yay!!

February 10, 2011 at 11:45 pm |
  11. Paulita Pike, El Salvador

Love Ben Wedemann´s reporting. Serious, spot on. Great teamwork, guys. That includes Hala Gorani.

February 10, 2011 at 11:45 pm |
  12. Kathy from Vancouver

@Megan
    Go for it and light your candle for Egypt!
    And any others, to shine some light in these dark moments

February 10, 2011 at 11:45 pm |
  13. Barbara Boyle

What a Gandhi moment. I am 65 years old and am absolutely so impressed with the people of Egypt.Thank You. I live in Canada and have always been so thankful for my freedoms and have never taken them for granted. But too many of us have.

February 10, 2011 at 11:45 pm |
  14. Chi

Khalid is amazing! So brave.

February 10, 2011 at 11:44 pm |
  15. Vanessa

Excellent coverage Anderson, thank you. I am deeply saddened by Mubarak's refusal to step down in a gracious manner; as well as frightened for the safety of the protesters. I pray that the US and other nations will join together to compel Mubarak to come to his senses and step aside. I pray also for the safety of the courageous protesters and journalists who continue to occupy the square. May Egypt finally know the freedom and democracy that is rightfully theirs.

February 10, 2011 at 11:44 pm |
  16. Starr, formerly known as vincent

@Megan – i'm glad you like the candle idea.
    I've been burning a Mother of Miracles candle for two weeks.
    Today i chose a Guardian Angel candle. I want Egypt's Angel to defeat the Demons in Egypt.
    I've used the candle for healing diseases, it seems to work.

February 10, 2011 at 11:44 pm |
  17. Steven Aronie

I have been watching the entire time the events
    in Egyt. This is the most amazing civil revolution since Gandhi's India. My heart soars with the memories of being part of the civil rights movement in the 60's. Our congress should make a statement now about standing up for this democratic revolution. Our president should have a plan about how we will aid this uprising and protect these freedom fighters from a possible blood bath by Mobarik's army. We as a free people must stand up now for these millions. Why isn't there a statement from the Secretary general of the United nations. Where's a statement from the international red cross to come to the aid of the egyptian people in peril. Let's hear from the free world now. What is Europe doing to get behind this amazing transition.

February 10, 2011 at 11:44 pm |
  18. Sahar from brookln,ny

I totaly agree with Dr/ Ajami but I was just want to tell him it' s not fair to compare moubark with the Pharo cause the pharo was an angle comparing to moubark

February 10, 2011 at 11:44 pm |
  19. Nihal

Very very grateful for the great coverage..Please pray for us everyone. it might very ugly..

February 10, 2011 at 11:44 pm |
  20. Sayed

and Hala too. Thank you very much. All members of my family, old and young, love you.

February 10, 2011 at 11:44 pm |
  21. Todd

One danger that may have been overlooked is that if the Egyptian government is changed to one that is inimical to US interests, will they still seek foreign military assistance and who will fill that void? Could China play a larger role in our absence assuming there is not an Islamic fundamentalist government in Egypt?

February 10, 2011 at 11:42 pm |
  22. Maha

@Muneer
    Trust me, they won't budge until they bring the regime down. Their chant is "Al shaab yoreed esqat el nezam" which means the people want to bring the regime down. When Mubarak didn't get the hint, they went out and said bring down the president for a day, but the message is: bring down the regime. They want it all gone. Everyone knows that Suleiman, Shafiq and all the rest of them are just as Mubarak as Mubarak himself if not worse, especially Suleiman.

February 10, 2011 at 11:42 pm |
  23. Sayed

@Marleen
    What is happening now in Egypt reveals the true fabric of the Egyptian people. The repressive regime of Mubarak has robbed them from their dignity and liberty. No more. Dignity and Liberty, or Death. This is the true Egypt. Accepting repression for stability is a very bad bargain. No way, no more.

February 10, 2011 at 11:40 pm |
  24. Uma, in Liverpool, UK

Omar Suleiman was the White House's 'great hope', and acceptable to Israel.

Isn't that enough, to know the Egyptian people would not want any part of him?

February 10, 2011 at 11:40 pm |
  25. Wayne

What about the Billions of dollars that Mubarak has amassed for himself by his blunder of Eqypt. Is he hanging onto give himself time to move his wealth offshore

February 10, 2011 at 11:40 pm |
  26. MOHAMED & IRENE ABDOU-CA

they are excercising .

February 10, 2011 at 11:39 pm |
  27. Melissa

Thank you for your wonderful coverage I can see the compassion you have for the great people of Egypt wile telling their story. Please keep telling their story with the same passion I have seen in your eyes and felt in my heart

February 10, 2011 at 11:39 pm |
  28. Maha

@Starr
    Maha is Deer that only exists in the Arabian peninsula and is known to have beautiful eyes.

@Carolyn
    They're there and I hear traffic headed down that way. We shall prevail!

February 10, 2011 at 11:38 pm |
  29. Emily

@Maha,
    "Let the others discredit themselves further in front of us and in the eyes of the rest of the world."

Thanks for your postings, Maha!
    It's sad to think that "Egypt has lost". I see what you mean, however, the World is watching what is going on. I'm hoping that The U.N would be more pro-active.
    I REALLY hope that the protesters are thinking with the same clarity that you are. I really don't want to see more violence. They DID win, however, I don't think they feel that way.

February 10, 2011 at 11:37 pm |
  30. lisal -canada

by discrediting the white house administration they are causing turmoil inside the enemy headquarters – the enemy is now distracted with trying to figure out who messed up instead of concentrating on solving the problem – which buys them more time and less interference

February 10, 2011 at 11:37 pm |
  31. Matt

Mubarak said in his statement that he's always been a soldier and that he will not leave his country. He insists on staying and if he dies there, I believe he wants to be thought of as a martyr.

February 10, 2011 at 11:37 pm |
  32. Todd

If the Egyptian government is responsible for using military force to clear the protesters, should the U.S. maintain political ties with that government?

February 10, 2011 at 11:36 pm |
  33. Joyce

The Egyptian people are echoing the ancient voices from the past saying to an oppressive Pharoahnic power, "Let my people go!" Its a new story of deliverance and freedom.

February 10, 2011 at 11:36 pm |
  34. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Starr and Kathy......
    Good idea!!!! I like that, I can candle for Egyptian people right now...... I am praying lot so hard.

February 10, 2011 at 11:36 pm |
  35. Muneer

@Maha, do you think people will stay in the streets if Mubarak – the person – is brought down and defeated? Don't misunderstand me. I hope they do. I am just worried. I want them to keep their eye on the prize.

February 10, 2011 at 11:36 pm |
  36. Dawn T. Pittsburgh, PA

I don't understand why people (Administration) are shocked that Hosni didn't step down. I didn't believe it when I received the news alert about the press conference. I figured he wouldn't do it based on his past behavior since the uprising started. God bless my Egyptian bros & sis.

February 10, 2011 at 11:36 pm |
  37. Rosalyn Minassian

Thank you Anderson and CNN for the continued coverage....this will define modern day Egypt!
    God willing without more unrest freedom will prevail.

February 10, 2011 at 11:36 pm |
  38. Carolyn

Yes... the people in Tahrir Square have not lost... they are still there... Wow, Amazing!!

February 10, 2011 at 11:36 pm |
  39. Starr, formerly known as vincent

It's disappointing and disheartening to hear that our "aid" to Egypt can be so easily replaced by Saudi Arabia (another one of our wonderful allies).

Prof. Ajami has truly been eloquent tonight.

@Maha- does your name have a meaning?

February 10, 2011 at 11:35 pm |
  40. Nalini

Thank you to Anderson, Arwa, Hala, Ivan, Ben, Nic, Fred for amazing coverage for these 17 days, and risking your lives to do so. The irony is you guys have been in wars and not been beaten. Also, thanks to CNN crew.

February 10, 2011 at 11:35 pm |
  41. Hoda

Thanks Anderson...maybe the protestors should try a different angle...there is no real opposition or choice of political parties that had opportunities to show their mandates, forums and political views. In the last 15 days, no real potential candidates appearing. Elbaradei is far from qualified, he has his own agenda. Until the September elections, political parties like Kifaya, Amr Moussa, etc.. should prepare their campaigns and debates..that is the real solution. God bless Egypt and all Egyptians.

February 10, 2011 at 11:35 pm |
  42. Maha

@ Emily
    We don't want violence either. We've been peaceful all along.
    Please say a prayer for us and keep those wonderful positive thoughts and the great support coming. It really helps. Thanks, Emily.

February 10, 2011 at 11:34 pm |
  43. Ellen

Tiananmen Square protests of 1989 - This sounds like what the Chinese students and intellectuals fought for back in 1989. And 1000 civilians and 50 soliders were killed. And The Chinese government pretends like it never happened. This Egyptians are in their square and back in 1989 the Chinese were in their square.

February 10, 2011 at 11:34 pm |
  44. Ellen

Mubarak and his lackey should both leave Egypt forever. I'm proud the protester's are peaceful, despite the brotherhood who caused havoc. More power to them – keep going, watching all long every day – pride is so evident there, don't give up – get out Mubarak – take you son and goverment and go.
    We should cut off all funding until he leaves, he has profited on our money, not the people

February 10, 2011 at 11:34 pm |
  45. Lori

If people are disapearing from the streets with no trace and being tortured, then there is no law there.

February 10, 2011 at 11:33 pm |
  46. Uma, in Liverpool, UK

@ Joe
    (Slaves didn't have twitter,dude.)
    Excellent point. Too much has been made of the social media. Yes, they're a tool. This is the first revolution which did have them. They appear to have speeded things up, but otherwise, just a tool, like leaflets!

February 10, 2011 at 11:33 pm |
  47. Rose from Muscoy, Calif

Right, it's like putting the fox in charge of the chicken coop.

February 10, 2011 at 11:33 pm |
  48. Ranya

@Nalini
    May I ask, what is Sharia Law?

February 10, 2011 at 11:33 pm |
  49. Ryan

I'm a first year university student in Canada. From what I have read from historical writers as well as philosophic writers like Karl Marx, Voltaire and other writers say is that a revolution won't work without blood. Now history has shown that some revolutions do work without blood but if the military joins the protesters it might be best if they take their freedom. Even if it means fighting.

February 10, 2011 at 11:33 pm |
  50. Robert

Ghandi said'first they ignore you,then they laugh at you,then they fight you,then you win' -i pray he was right...good night

February 10, 2011 at 11:32 pm |