February 10th, 2011

Mubarak Defies Rumors, Not Stepping Down: Join the Live Chat

The biggest protest yet could take place in Cairo Friday after President Mubarak defied rumors and didn't not step down. Instead he "delegated powers" to the his vice president. We'll have the latest developments from Egypt and tonight's other headlines.

Want more details on what covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Emily

@Chi,
    "Those who blame the media and social media..."
    Who is "Blaming" social media?
    I don't think any of this would have happened without it! People would not have heard about Mohammed Bouaziz - the Tunisian farmer who committed suicide; posting his last message on FaceBook.

February 10, 2011 at 11:00 pm |
  2. JD

In the palace with his billions he said "Let them eat cake" ...I was tuned in early in the day with the report of his likely stepping down even according to a CIA source, so I thought that must be reliable, right? Then much later in afternoon a report that he might not ... then in his own words, so dumb, what a let down

February 10, 2011 at 11:00 pm |
  3. nancyinoregon

Yes, Uma, I've often wondered that same thing about many, many events in history before satellite TV. I don't think doing much more than just letting the camera tell the story would be needed in some cases (although as a very amateur photographer, I also know full well the highly selective editing power that the photographer has, too! You just simply don't show what is two feet to the left and instead zoom in on the action or view you want to show! You can even magnify the parts you want!) Adding verbal 'reporters' to the mix can also deeply 'spin' what is heard by others as 'gospel'. All that said, though, like you I do wonder what atrocities the world has known might have been averted if the simple use of a camera and satellite had been available at the time.

February 10, 2011 at 11:00 pm |
  4. Kaytee

No matter what the topic, people blame Obama for EVERYTHING. "He should say something, he shouldn't have said anything, he should stay out of it, he should help out". This is not about our president. This is about what Mubarak should do.

February 10, 2011 at 10:59 pm |
  5. Jo Ann, Ohio

@Jana,Georgia, "Ben, Ivan and Awara have been doing a great job covering this story from over there."

Along with Fred and Nic, they have worked tirelessly to bring us information surrounding this historical moment.

February 10, 2011 at 10:59 pm |
  6. Awad

Anderson,
    I believe if Mubarak and his gang end up having their way, Egypt will become one of the most oppressive countries in the world. As a result, we will see more radicalism and international unrest.

February 10, 2011 at 10:59 pm |
  7. Kathy from Vancouver

Good. I am waiting for someone in the military to save their country.

February 10, 2011 at 10:59 pm |
  8. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

There is a history of Egypt that can be traced to 3100 BC. In all of the subsequent 5000 years, there has never been democracy. To expect it now, is wearing rose colored glasses.

February 10, 2011 at 10:59 pm |
  9. Rose from Muscoy, Calif

That's why the people went to the building of the police dept because the police are so corrupted and so evil. This is what the Mubarak government do in a every day thing? I thought that we, are for Civil Right's of all people?

February 10, 2011 at 10:59 pm |
  10. Tanya

Mubarak is a narcissist who used bait & switch tactics to receive global attention.

February 10, 2011 at 10:58 pm |
  11. Lee in Ohio

I was in Cairo Dec. 2008. From what I saw of living conditions in many areas, I'm not surprised that people are demanding a change. It's beyond shameful.

February 10, 2011 at 10:58 pm |
  12. Carolyn

@ Gloria – yes, let's pray that friday is peaceful... amen!!

February 10, 2011 at 10:58 pm |
  13. Starr, formerly known as vincent

Thank you Anderson!! For, as always, bringing us the truth in Egypt. I can't tell you how much it is appreciated by me, my friends & family.

@Mike – thank you for your post. I appreciate your wry sense of humor.

February 10, 2011 at 10:58 pm |
  14. Ibrahim Abaza

I agree with Cessy from Chicago, Mubarak wants to aecure his loot before he leaves, he needs assurances that him and his family will continue enjoying the blood money.

February 10, 2011 at 10:57 pm |
  15. Cessy - Chicago

I will not be surprised if the Military will help the Mubarak family leave the palace and move them somewherelse... what is interesting to me is how will the next President run Egypt after all this.

curious also what the percentage of the Egyptians trust Suleiman.

February 10, 2011 at 10:57 pm |
  16. cicly

what exactly was the point? that world powers knew?

February 10, 2011 at 10:56 pm |
  17. Jack in NL Canada

Anderson, great show!! Very happy that you got out of that country unhurt....and even with yor life. Mubarak has got to go, or there will be slaughter on the streets tomorrow. All the best to our Egyptian friends. Electric shock as tourture is absurd. An uncivilized world!! Something has got to change. Anderson, please contine to keep the world informed. Thanks again!!

February 10, 2011 at 10:55 pm |
  18. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Cessy
    Isn't Suleiman an intelligence officer?

Cessy
    Yes, He is.

February 10, 2011 at 10:55 pm |
  19. Sayed

BW,
    Great reporting. Your really do know the horrifying ways of that repressive regime.
    Sayed

February 10, 2011 at 10:55 pm |
  20. Amna

Anderson, we need to see more coverage on the pulse of Egypt. You need to have more reporters all over Egypt and not just in Cairo. Also, we need to see more footage of journalists actually speaking with the protesters in Cairo. I understand that the situation in Egypt is not favorable for media personnel but please do try. Thank you to you and your team on doing a remarkable job of keeping us all informed and updated on the protests.

February 10, 2011 at 10:55 pm |
  21. Sue R. Canton MI.

I agree that the media focus is whats keeping most of the peaceful protesters safe right now. The eyes of the world are watching. It's concerning what will happen to so many after the media attention has calmed down.

February 10, 2011 at 10:55 pm |
  22. Ranya

I think the Egyptican people should not let Mubarak set them back! they came too far. I just hope the world doesn't forget about them.

February 10, 2011 at 10:55 pm |
  23. Carolyn

Anderson... these accounts of abuse are so terrifying to listen to... my heart goes out to all of the people in Egypt and everywhere exposed to such horrific treatment.

February 10, 2011 at 10:55 pm |
  24. James

Wouldn't a viable strategy to effect change without incurring a violent government crackdown, be for protesters to organize nationwide strikes to bring the economy to it's knees? At that point the military should themselves force the Mubarak regime out and put in place a coalition government that would satisfy both themselves and the people. Clearly their is no solution without the military, and they could have a secure future in government if they play it right.

February 10, 2011 at 10:54 pm |
  25. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

How big was the room that the reporter was in (with the 5 or so others)?

February 10, 2011 at 10:54 pm |
  26. Jennifer (Virginia)

Anderson – I thought of this quote from one of our American Revolutionary heroes while watching your show. So in tribute to the Egyptian People: I Am in Love & My Sweetheart Is Liberty: I walk the soil that gave me birth, & exult in the thought that I am not unworthy of it. And when I look forward to the long ages of posterity, I glory in the thought that I am fighting their battles. The children of distant generations may never hear my name, but still it gladdens my heart to think that I am now contending for their freedom, & all its countless blessings. ~ Francis Marion

February 10, 2011 at 10:54 pm |
  27. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Let pray that it will be a peaceful Friday! If he really care for his people, he will leave office!

February 10, 2011 at 10:54 pm |
  28. Starr, formerly known as vincent

@Maha

Thank you so much for all of your posts and the information contained within.

You can bet that I and I suspect, many others will keep your movement in the forefront on the internet, in our conversations and in our hearts.

I am glad to hear that the lower aspects of the Army have joined you in your movement to obtain civil rights and freedom.
    There was a post from Muhammad Ebaid who said that an announcement from the Army would be coming within a few hours.

I hope, with all my heart, that the Army backs the Egyptian movement! My thoughts and prayers have been and will continue to be with you and your brothers & sisters!

February 10, 2011 at 10:54 pm |
  29. Jana, Georgia

February 10, 2011 at 10:53 pm |
  30. Cessy - Chicago

@ Alexander Arayata Orlino: I'm glad i'm not the only one in here who totally understand what is going on in Egypt!

I lived and witnessed what happened during the People's Power Revolution.

February 10, 2011 at 10:53 pm |
  31. lisal -canada

one of the main things that can crack someone is the threat of violating and abusing someone ELSE (do what i say or that other innocent person over there gets it) – they feed on the decency and fears of people – it is pathetic (but standard psychological torture) – don't really want to know what their physical methods are...

February 10, 2011 at 10:53 pm |
  32. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Chi!
    Thanks!!!! You're right! 🙂

Sayed,
    Thanks for your kindness comment to Arwa..... God bless!!!! Take care!

February 10, 2011 at 10:53 pm |
  33. Jo Ann, Ohio

Ivan, Ben, Fred, and Arwa have been doing a magnificent job in Tahrir Square, especially today. Considering the culture, I have to give Arwa a lot of credit!

February 10, 2011 at 10:53 pm |
  34. Mohamed iqbal

They are (regime) sleeping some body wake them up.

February 10, 2011 at 10:53 pm |
  35. faizel

my heart bleeds for the people of egypt..for mubarak a lost opportunity to be a real hero..

February 10, 2011 at 10:52 pm |
  36. Chi

Sorry. Those who blame the media and social media should blame those who invented the TV and the Internet. Does Bill Gates have an issue? ;D

February 10, 2011 at 10:52 pm |
  37. Uma, in Liverpool, UK

I wonder how many millions would not have died, in India, if the world press had been watching. My mother was a part of the Home Rule Movement. There has not been anything similar, since.

Keep the cameras rolling. Kudos to your show, and to the correspondents, producers, and camera-people on the ground. Your work is saving lives. Believe me.

February 10, 2011 at 10:52 pm |
  38. Sayed

AC,
    Please go back to Cairo and continue your excellent reporting exposing the repressive Mubarak regime from there. The end is near. Please be there when it happens.
    Sayed

February 10, 2011 at 10:52 pm |
  39. Emily

@Mike, formerly from Syracuse,
    "They tell lawyers to never ask a question in court that you don't already know the answer to. President Obama should have waited to make his statement.."
    Exactly! I agree with your statement Mike. Also, the fact that Mubarak has displaced erratic behavior already is another reason to be even more careful, if you need another one.

February 10, 2011 at 10:52 pm |
  40. Lori

Terrible description of the torture.

February 10, 2011 at 10:51 pm |
  41. Jon B

Anderson
    It is a refreshing view of the Middle East to see people being patriots for their country and wanting a better life. The caution is that the people force the change, I hope that they do, but I am concerned that another selfish group moves in and fills a void without being the will and the vote of the people. If this were to happen the security of the sinai and the greater Middle East could be in jeopardy.

February 10, 2011 at 10:51 pm |
  42. Maha

This is pretty gruesome. Read the article. One of my uncles was taken into political custody in the late 60's. It was years before he could sleep through a night.

February 10, 2011 at 10:51 pm |
  43. Joe

I kinda feel sorry for the old guy. Suffering from Egyptian Pharaoh syndrome. 'This is how it's always been. How can this happen to me?'
    (Slaves didn't have twitter,dude.)

February 10, 2011 at 10:50 pm |
  44. Rose from Muscoy, Calif

I was 21 years old, when Iran was taken over. Not a good outcome for us, at all. I think this might be different because of the people of Egypt.

February 10, 2011 at 10:50 pm |
  45. Cessy - Chicago

Anderson,
    I must say that this has been a VERY intersting night. Great reporting!

February 10, 2011 at 10:49 pm |
  46. rana

anderson egypt isn't only tahrir square ..we are 85 millionss and the fact that maximum 5 millions have participated in these protests should give you alot about what egyptians really want..i don't think that its democracy that 5 million should impose their opinion on 8o millions

February 10, 2011 at 10:49 pm |
  47. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

How truly stupid can you be to jail media correspondents, AND do it for any extended period? Does Mubarek et al think that a) those detained (or missing) are going to be forgotten about or b) that they're not going to talk about their experience, once free?

February 10, 2011 at 10:49 pm |
  48. Jo Ann, Ohio

@Cessy – Chicago, "reports states that she thinks that the Egyptians must decide for themselves."

It seems to me they have decided and now need our support.

February 10, 2011 at 10:49 pm |
  49. Lisa Yunek

I hope the Egyptian people realize that Americans are "with" them.

February 10, 2011 at 10:48 pm |
  50. carlos

To AC360 Staff: How is the Egypt story playing in Iran? could there be renewed inspiration for the youth to push for real change?

February 10, 2011 at 10:48 pm |