February 10th, 2011

KTH: Debunking Mubarak's propaganda

New York (CNN) – CNN’s Anderson Cooper said Wednesday that his continued focus on the protests in Egypt and the Egyptian government’s response is not a personal vendetta.

After spending a week in Cairo covering the protests and coming under attack twice during that time by individuals supporting Egypt’s embattled President Hosni Mubarak, Cooper has dedicated nearly all of his airtime since then to the situation in the Middle Eastern country.

“Now I’ve seen some emails suggesting that the reason we on this program are calling out the Mubarak regime for their lies – trying every night to point out these lies - is that it’s somehow personal,” Cooper said Wednesday night, “that because I and my team was attacked by thugs on two occasions, that somehow I’ve lost objectivity.”

“This is not personal,” Cooper added, “This is not to insult Egypt. This is about the truth. And all of the reporters on the ground and, frankly, all of the people in [Cairo’s Tahrir Square] and most of the people around the world have seen the truth in Egypt. You have seen peaceful protesters attacked by uniformed police and then by mobs. And, having seen the truth, it is our obligation, I believe, to continue to bear witness to it.”

At the beginning of his broadcast Wednesday, Cooper also noted that he continues to invite representatives of the Egyptian government to appear on AC360° in order to have the opportunity to provide evidence supporting any of their many claims relating to the protests. “They continue to decline,” he said, adding “the invitation is an open one.”

1. Saqib Omer Saeed

I love the way you guys are presenting Egypt scenarios. This is the bandwagon of old liars from East to West. Mubarak learnt a lot from his fellows in U.S. & Europe in this art. The world is on the edge of big economic & political chaos courtesy to the lies that has been said on national levels. Sometimes nations of the world like those lies in their fanatics and sometimes they understand it. In Egypt they are understanding it, more important standing against it and it is making a difference.

February 10, 2011 at 1:21 pm |
  2. Mark Tristan

I have been following the revolution in Egypt and what I want to know is why the U.S. is now villifying Mubarak as a horrible dictator after supporting him and his military, with billions of tax-payer's dollars, for decades? Is it because the people have finally had enough of injustice and we now have to be the "empathetic counselor" of the world? What will the reaction of the U.S. governement be once Americans decide that they have had enough of the greed and corruption that plague this nation and the world?

Concerned U.S. Citizen
    (Unemployed Teacher)
    Mark Tristan

February 10, 2011 at 1:03 pm |
  3. N Molle

Dear Mr. Cooper:

Hope you're on the mend.

I do not believe this is a democratic protest.
    This is a revolt to bring to power The Muslim Brotherhood. You really should watch Glenn Beck.
    I think he has the information that everyone should know. President Obama is very weak to negotiate this process. You can't be on a fence when dealing with terrorist they will knock you off or out in your case.

Muslim extremist (most Arabs) hate America because we are not muslim & we back Israel. Who they believe are lower than a dog. There is no way to change that but only to deal with through strength not weakness.

God Bless America
    Tea Partier

February 10, 2011 at 1:00 pm |
  4. Hadil

Thank you Anderson Cooper for insisting on showing the truth. I don't think anyone has done a better job including Aljazeerah.

February 10, 2011 at 12:44 pm |
  5. Brandi Barela

Anderson,

I have always been a fan of your work. Your most recent story on Mubarak deepens my admiration and respect for you, your show, and your efforts. I have friends that live in Cairo. I have been staying in contact with them the entire time and a majority of the media coverage has been greatly distorted. But, you speak the truth. From your ridiculist to the current events, you say it like it is. Keep doing what you do. That is what will educate people and bring about the change this World needs. Cheers to you!

Brandi

February 10, 2011 at 12:33 pm |
  6. Tim

CNN, you have an opportunity here to emphasize the change that has been made in Egypt, by Muslims and without terrorism. This example of civil change transpiring faster than any terrorist act against some random few.... this should be your coverage, questions to experts! This revolution may inspire radical Muslims everywhere to consider a similar, more civil method.

Only through your thoughtful questioning of experts, and the way you handle your stores, can this be accomplished.

I challenge you to do so!

Tim
    Portland, Oregon

February 10, 2011 at 12:23 pm |
  7. Chris

Anderson can claim that it's not personal vendetta. Let me remind him that he's human and cannot deny that. Politicians around the world including here in the U.S. have been lying for centuries. It's only when they are no longer our "best friends" that we bring out the dirt against them. Why didn't anyone report all of these prior to the people of Egypt took things in their own hands? We all knew that this was happening, but since Mubarak was "a close ally", we kept quite. Right now, the opposite is happening in the Ivory Coast where the international community (France, the EU, the U.S.) and the U.N. are trying to push a president declared winner of the November election, out of office so that they can put their puppet in power. The people descended in the street to protest against what they call an electoral highjack by France and the international community. It was even said that the French and U.S. ambassador escorted the chairman of the Electoral commission to one of the candidate's headquarter to announce the so-called result. The candidate declared winner by the Constitutional Council is being vilified and called a dictator.
    The incumbent president, declared winner by the Constitutional Council propose q re-evaluation and a recount of the vote, but the France, the U.S. ambassador and Ban Ki moon call that an injustice. If recounting votes is injustice, why is that used everywhere in the world? The people who descended in the street called the "Young Patriot" are being called street gangs by William Fitzgerald, Deputy Assistant Secretary of States on PBS News Hour. As an expert on international politics, that statement to me is no different from the U.S. calling Mandela a terrorist in the 60's and 70's; it's no different from John Edgar Hoover calling Dr. M.L. Ling a terrorist. I want Anderson to investigate this and tell me why the person declared winner by the international community is not getting the people's support if he had really won the election? The U.S. ambassador in the Ivory Coast is lying, the State Dept is lying and the U.N is lying, but no one is talking about this. Lately, the U.N has been transporting rebels (terrorists) from the north to the south, of the country, but still Mr. J Choi, Ban Ki Moon representative is denying it.

February 10, 2011 at 11:55 am |
  8. Glenn from Toronto

I have been glued to CNN and AC360 for the past 2 weeks. I was especially pleased that Anderson has considered the coverage with such passion and insight!

Keep up the great reporting!

February 10, 2011 at 11:54 am |
  9. Ken

Well, so much for impartial news reporting. CNN has taken a page out of the MSNBC play book. What happened to real newsmen who have been supplanted by commentators?

February 10, 2011 at 11:15 am |
  10. RAif Badr

Mr. Cooper- u r one of the most respected reporters I truly follow. I have followed other great reporters such as Peter Jennings, Brian Williams, and Ted Koppel. CNN is broadcasted in Egypt (I have the free basic Dish in my Apt. in Egypt). You should probably be more well known to the Egyptian people than any of other reporters I have mentioned. I am a 44 y/o Egyptian American that was raised in NY and currently lives in NY (Go Yankees). It appalls me that the Egyptian gov.t would do this to a reporter that broadcasts in their country! Did they not see how you were treated by the Haitians when you went to Haiti – total respect. The Haitians had so much that they lost and the citizens and their gov.t treated you with such respect. This is a gov.t that is different from most Egyptians. I have visited Egypt many times. Egyptians- their hospitality is immeasurable. Their gov.t should not represent them- a total Shame!

February 10, 2011 at 10:55 am |
  11. REZ

God bless you for your heroic efforts. Please do not give up on the people of Egypt,they depend on you and your colleagues to keep the movement going and focus the world's attention. Personal or not is not really the issue, the issue is to stop the brutality and be heard.

February 10, 2011 at 10:38 am |
  12. Radwa El Behery

I can`t say how grateful I am for your insightful and honnest coverage of Egypt uprising.I am an Egyptian living in USA for the past seven years and I`ve never been prouder to be Egyptian.I`m also proud to be living in this country where people are not afraid to tell the truth.please keep your coverage and don`t let the story die and go away,keep exposing their lies so we can get rid of this corrupt system and we can move forward.

February 10, 2011 at 10:28 am |
  13. Aly

Thank you Mr Cooper for being honest and truthful about a regime supported by the USA that is corrupt and falling. The people will win over and I hope to invite you back to my home in Cairo for shai (tea) or coffee in the FREE Cairo.

February 10, 2011 at 9:37 am |
  14. Fatma Maged

Please send this to the Youth of the world who are tired of being told they Stand for nothing, frustrated for "Waiting on the World to Change", John Mayer's song...You've got the power to change what is evil in this word. Fear nothing for fear has been defeated. Youth of all ages did something outh of all ages did something about many things: pollution, deforestation, napalm on hut villages, wars, discrimination, cruelty, unjustified incarceration ... the list is endless.

February 10, 2011 at 9:01 am |
  15. Fatma Maged

Are we proud our youth did something? Darn right I am. Do I wish youth everywhere do something about it? Right, again ! We all, even the bad guys, won when the youth of all ages did something about many things: pollution, deforestation, napalm on hut villages, wars, discrimination, cruelty, unjustified incarceration ... the list is endless.

February 10, 2011 at 8:57 am |
  16. shereef Ali Singab

Hi Anderson, I am living in Cairo-Egypt, what you are saying in this report is 110% correct!

Most of the thugs on horses were hired by the mubarak regimen ,people i know in the tahrir sq at that time that had captured some of the horse riders confirm that.
    the protest by anti Mubarak are completely peaceful while pro mubarak as his gov are violent but only lasted for 1 day.

people are scared of chaos and the inability of the country to recover from this economically, I believe that a truly democratic Egypt will be able to regain stability and lost investment in a few years.

"Mubarak is "slow"" is what people say, we dont want him and I personally dont want him for 1 day more.

Recently it was said by the gov"it is one of 2 choices, either mubarak stays or we have a military revolution" meaning that it will be terrible if the army takes control and so scare people of the 2nd choice of mubarak leaving,their usual scare tactics.

please continue your honest coverage of the events here, we are fighting for the right to choose, the our god-given right for dignity, the removal of corruption.

Ill be going to tahrir sq now, God speed.

February 10, 2011 at 7:52 am |
  17. gabriel

some questions for mister Cooper
    what is the truth?? It is your duty to reveal the facts and to let the viewers to decide!
    But, when you start directly with words like "lies", "manipulation" etc... how can you claim "the truth"?
    What is more important "your truth" or your "viewer truth"?

February 10, 2011 at 7:39 am |
  18. Marijan Miletic, Ljubljana, Slovenia

Great work in supporting second peoples revolution in North Africa. It is worth staying awake until 4 AM to watch history live.

February 10, 2011 at 7:35 am |
  19. moudy abbas

thus am surprised that you know that much about Egypt, we as Egyptian knows that it is not personal, because we understand the facts same as you do.
    keep going, you are doing a great job!

abbas

February 10, 2011 at 7:27 am |
  20. Hefni El Tarzi

Hi,
    Just to say thank you for showing the real face of the Mubarak régime. The young people and all others who have finally thrown off fear in Egypt need every voice both home and abroad to tell the truth about what's happening now and what has been happening for more than 30 years. This can very well be one of the few things protecting them from reprisals.

February 10, 2011 at 5:41 am |
  21. J.V.Hodgson

Anderson Cooper 360.
    My personal gut feeling is that what you say is right.
    However, it is all based on CNN reporters information to you and your analysis. Government backed TV anchor comments were very powerful, most of the rest of the program was weak. Why, I need to hear from:-
    1) People on voice and Video outside Parliament(elsewhere)what they are doing and why at least 5 people, (there maybe one extreme for anti government) and one for government (2/3in between)if you can find pro government person but I need the balance.
    BBC and others have found such people, who think Mubarak should manage the transition!? Why not you?
    2) I agree martial law and threats of Military intervention are counter productive as the show detailed.
    3) My feeling is that your whole position is that America in whatever form must interfere in the democratic process in Egypt.
    Wrong, good bad or indifferent = Mubarak so called wins, or a new style of govenment Islamic oriented or not emerges; is not for the US or President Obama to decide, only Egyptian voters in a free and fair multiple party election soon!!
    Regards,
    Hodgson.

February 10, 2011 at 4:42 am |
  22. Ahmed Mohamed

I fully agree with Mr.Cooper. The whole world need to see what Mubarak is doing. I just want also to point out that we did not hear anything from Mr.Luis Moreno-Ocampo about the crimes Mubarak committed against the Egyptian people killing more than 300 protestors.

I wish that Mr.Cooper gets Mr. Ocampo on AC360 and ask him what he will do to catch Mubarak and put him on trial.

February 10, 2011 at 3:54 am |
  23. Jessie Sanchez

Wow... thank god for your safety Anderson glad your okay. The truth will set you free.
    (We Meet in Los Angeles my friend (+=)
    You’re a great honest to god reporter. Keep up the good work buddy and attack them with the truth.

And WOW!!! Sad that they lie to their own people that means there not to be trusted what so ever with us here in the United States (meaning there government) I personally felt attacked when they attacked you buddy not cool. Glad your okay over all. write back.

February 10, 2011 at 3:30 am |
  24. Mohamed

As a 28 year old Egyptian that has lived all my life with one president that has constantly been lying and stealing from his people, I truly thank you for helping our cause and ultimately to get him and his business friends out of office.

February 10, 2011 at 3:24 am |
  25. Leslie von Arnswaldt

We are witnessing the evolution of a revolution, thanks to Anderson Cooper and other journalists around the world and in Egypt.With all the lies that the Regime tells it's own citizens, thank God we have objective reporting, and in English, so that we in America can know the truth; the Egyptian people know the truth, they don't need the government's version of the "truth".They have looked fear in the face, and they are no longer afraid. Viva la revolucion!

February 10, 2011 at 2:35 am |
  26. Ahmed Q.

All what I can say Anderson is ... Thank you. In behalf of the Egyptians and the people in Tahrir square ... Thank you. I'm amazed of your accurate, inclusive and professional work you made covering the events in Egypt. I can't wait for your next episode.

February 10, 2011 at 2:21 am |
  27. Doris

I do not think you have any vendetta with Egypt. I believe you witnessed and reported the attacks on the protesters by the pro Mubarak regime. If filming and reporting had not taken place for the world to see;it would have been much more brutal.In the USA we say thank God for reporters: in Egypt they condemn them.What does that tell you!

February 10, 2011 at 2:19 am |
  28. Shwetha

Anderson, your efforts towards this cause will not go in vain

February 10, 2011 at 2:17 am |
  29. rusty

The media of the World almost has an obligation now to see this story through. If they leave, pity those who are now living in the square....not really that large of a group. Hopefully, they have a plan beyond getting Mubarek to leave. They will need to Govern, a moral victory is not good enough.

February 10, 2011 at 2:15 am |
  30. Shwetha

I totally support and believe you. No matter what the odds are, truth will always prevail, simply because truth is truth will never and cannot change whereas lies is lies, can have many faces.

February 10, 2011 at 2:12 am |
  31. Wei-ping

Dear Anderson,

I’ve been following your great coverage on Egypt, and especially moved by your reporting during the last three days since your return from Egypt. You asked all the right questions. Hope you keep up with your wonderful passion and support for justice to the Egyptian people.

Wei-ping, Seattle, Washington

February 10, 2011 at 2:09 am |
  32. Sally

My sympathies & admiration for the pro-democracy Egyptian people.

Anderson, Keep up the good work! I watch your show every night and I pray for the safety & victory for the anti-Mubarak Egyptians.

God bless!

February 10, 2011 at 1:43 am |
  33. Sarah Hayes

THANK YOU!! You seem to be the only show in this country focused on the truth. I don't care about Lindsay Lohan's jewelry heist....I want to know what's happening in Egypt.

It seems to be fading from the other medias spotlight...Everyday, Im more disgusted with the lies our country and the Egyptian government are feeding us. The White House has done nothing for these people...And have been too cautious in their criticism of MUBARAK the Criminal.

Thank you and God bless you for keeping this in the spotlight...perhaps some people in Washington will put their shirts back on, get off of Craigs list and focus on the real issues at hand. You are awesome, Anderson!!

Sincerely,
    Sarah Hayes

February 10, 2011 at 1:34 am |
  34. Silvy

Hello Anderson,
    I am an American Egyptain Coptic Orthodox woman and I believe there is something really important everyone should know. We all know Mobarak has messed up. For the past 30 years he has let has people down, and I support all the protesters standing up for their rights. What all Egyptian people did to Mobarack was a wake up call, but if he leaves the Muslim Brotherhood will take over all of Egypt ruin the country and kill all Coptic Christians in Egypt. More than 80% of Egypt is Muslim, & they have mudered countless Coptics. So imagine the chaos that will sweep through Egypt. I have my family back home and I am very worried about them. It iwould be best for the protesters to end a protest and go back home and wait until September for the official election. May God protect Egypt & its people because enough damage has happened.

February 10, 2011 at 1:34 am |
  35. Kathleen McTeigue

Thank you for speaking truth to power and exposing the lies of the Mubarak regime. I know that you're speaking for the protesters who are risking their lives by demonstrating for democracy. I deeply appreciate your courage, passion and commitment in keeping the spotlight on this important historic event.

February 10, 2011 at 1:33 am |
  36. jimmy

mr president you told egypts president to give the protestors what they want. why dont you do the same when people protest for their rights here in the usa give them what they ask for.

February 10, 2011 at 1:33 am |
  37. Ashraf Hassan

My prayers are with all of the families that have sons or daughters who died for the freedom of the Egyptian people. I personally knew, and taught interior design to Mohamed Mahrous who was martyred during protests.
    He was a great young man and I send my sincerest condolences to his family and all the families of the brave young men a...nd women who sacrificed their lives so that others may live free.

February 10, 2011 at 1:33 am |
  38. TJ

Glad Anderson is questioning the statements of the Egyptian government. Where is the same questions to our government? The statement is the current Egyptian government is hanging on to power via lies. Sounds familiar!! Why do we expect our government to provide everything for us and then we are surprised when they lie to us.

February 10, 2011 at 1:31 am |
  39. saleh

I wonder if you have taken AC electronics course
    this probably will help you to shovel the truth as the wave propegate in both direction.

Thanks for being in the truth side of Egy people
    and I am sure now you are enjoyiing the taste of freedom with the truth without being forced to bend to the winds of disructions and colonization.

February 10, 2011 at 1:29 am |
  40. jimmy

how can a president try to give advice to another country when he can even solve his own countries issues?

February 10, 2011 at 1:29 am |
  41. Grace

AC was very critical to Egyptian gov't tonight. I just wonder why the US gave them 1.3 Billion dollars a year that Mubarak didn't even help his people with.

February 10, 2011 at 1:22 am |
  42. Sherif

What happened to your objectivity Anderson? Why are you interviewing everyday the same talking heads who say the same things and share only your views? Did you interview anyone else outside the Tahrir Square? Maybe it is time for you to do so.

February 10, 2011 at 1:17 am |
  43. Moti Bogler

Anderson:

I admire the firm and non ambigious moral stand that you and Dr. Ajami are taking in the story of the Egyptian people uprising. Keep up with your exceptional reporting.

Best regards,

Moti Bogler
    Los Angeles (Israeli/Jewish & American citizen)

February 10, 2011 at 1:15 am |
  44. Ahmed

Your coverage for the Egyptian Revolution is amazing. You enjoy high credibility. Let me ask you something. You describes Egypt's President, Vice President, and Prime Minister as liars. I agree. You are absolutely right. However, how about the white house? Are they telling the truth? Do they want a democratic Egypt or a friendly government? Do not you think that even the US administration is lying?

Clinton: Egypt's government is STABLE.

After 1 hour of Mubarak speech (or after Egyptians are not convinced with Mubarak's speech), Obama: the change in Egypt must start NOW. "Now is very interesting word here"

Frank Wezner: Mubarak must stay till September

Clinton: Wezner's speech does not represent the US administration

Again, Do not you think that even the US administration is lying?

February 10, 2011 at 1:15 am |
  45. Shalini Nataraj

Anderson Cooper's dogged coverage of events in Egypt is to be COMMENDED!! Thank you so much for keeping the spotlight on what's happening. For proponents of peace and democracy worldwide, it is critical that the Egyptian people are supported in their efforts to "keep their government honest". Thank you Anderson Cooper, thank you.

February 10, 2011 at 1:11 am |
  46. Dina, Denver

Anderson, great job covering Egypt, don't stop, this revoluation is amazing and I'm glad they found their voice.
    One question: how can a VP say in front of the whole wide world that Egyptians are not ready for demacoracy? first, it's really a stupied statement, second, he is admiting that they never had a demacracy in Egypt so why start now!

Keep up with the news, thanks for being there

February 10, 2011 at 12:52 am |
  47. Dr.Hamid

This is absolutely true.. I was warry about you being you don't know how tough they are, god bless you.. And congrats being you back safe

February 10, 2011 at 12:48 am |
  48. sherif

As a proud Egyptian, i salute you for you're solid and inspiring reporting. i have become a big fan of yours...Thank You!

February 10, 2011 at 12:35 am |
  49. Wafik

I came to the US in 1976, married to an American wife, raised 2 kids, I have been kind of disconnected from my native homeland over the years, losing faith that freedom or democracy will ever materialize in Egypt. Then I decided to watch Mubarak's speech, not on CNN but on Al Jazeera, because I wanted to hear him speak in Arabic without translation; I was appalled at the same rhetoric, the same damned rhetoric and lies that never changed since I was there, this regime will have to be forced out by the people.

February 10, 2011 at 12:25 am |
  50. John

Keep up the great work Anderson, I find you to be one the best & most trustworthy news people of the current time.

February 10, 2011 at 12:15 am |