February 7th, 2011

Goverment Double Talk in Egypt: Join the Live Chat

Day 14 of protests in Tahrir Square and the Egyptian government has denied any involvement in the attacks by mobs on peaceful demonstrators and reporters. They say they have no idea how these things happened. But the Egyptian military stood there and let it happen. We're Keeping Them Honest.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. cicly

@ ahmed; all around the world, our hearts are with you in your peaceful struggle for a fair and normal way of life. we all yearn for this. surely all humans deserve this. basic really, isn't it?

February 7, 2011 at 10:45 pm |
  2. Penny Mills

Welcome home Anderson. I hope you're okay. Keep telling and showing the truth. Please don't stop till the regime in Egypt slinks away from the spotlight or drowns in their own slime.

February 7, 2011 at 10:45 pm |
  3. Ahmed

I met ben wedeman on the square that day and he was very nice, and the camera woman too, told me no one is gonna bail out, I wanted to them both specially her, she was very honest and i didn't have the chance to thank her back then, crowded and everything. long live the youth revolution, for me, my children and my grand children, for Egypt

February 7, 2011 at 10:45 pm |
  4. Lori

Anderson, feel better and good luck at the doctor's office tomorrow.

February 7, 2011 at 10:44 pm |
  5. Al

Obama, should call for a 2-day sumit w/Mubarak to lay down a formal transition. This would be the 1st Phase and get other Middle Eastern Countries involve, for a start.

February 7, 2011 at 10:44 pm |
  6. Ashera

Believe me bloggers, you get a reality check, when you are in the "Reality Place!" Anderson you understand this, just as others who seek the truth!

February 7, 2011 at 10:44 pm |
  7. Kris - Oregon

My main concern is that this story will take a back seat to more "exciting" stories now that the confrontations have slowed somewhat. I don't want the regime to be able to continue to do business as usual because the world is no longer paying attention. It has been said that the US has a short attention span. PLEASE...PLEASE continue to cover this story!!! I believe the protestors will continue and so should WE!

February 7, 2011 at 10:44 pm |
  8. Rose from Muscoy, Calif

The Middle-East communities needs to come together and deal with this issue. We the U.S. needs to back-off,unless we are asked.

February 7, 2011 at 10:43 pm |
  9. Janice

Anderson, thank you *SO* very much for keeping the spotlight on the struggle of the Egyptian people! Mubarack and the whole regime has been supported by our tax dollars. Please do coverage on Suleiman's role as pointman for extraordinary rendition of hundreds of people. Again, THANK YOU!

February 7, 2011 at 10:43 pm |
  10. Nina

Wonderful movie... the Kite Runner. I recommend it for everyone...

February 7, 2011 at 10:43 pm |
  11. chris bern

Egypt needs an order of protection from thier leaders. facebook, twitter and the media proved it, but who can enforce it.

February 7, 2011 at 10:42 pm |
  12. Calvin Mulligan

Anderson and his guest have it right; the crisis is entering it's most dangerous period, certainly from the perspective of the protestors.

Please don't take the camera and your coverage off the protestors and the square for the sake of the protestors'safety. Honest freedom-loving people have trouble comprenhending just how devious and brutal Egypt's dictatorial regime is prepared to be when it comes to protecting its interests.

February 7, 2011 at 10:42 pm |
  13. Nina

Mubarak and Omar Suleiman need to be removed; however, that leaves a void for any militant organization to take charge. Therefore, it would be best that the Egyptian people decide on whom they would like to be president and vice president so they can slide in when Mubarak and Suleiman slide out!

February 7, 2011 at 10:41 pm |
  14. Jude

Anderson,

Please do not stop reporting on Eqypt. This is so important to the world. Thank you and the reporters who are still in Eqypt. Keep the spot light on these courageous people fighting this brutal government.

February 7, 2011 at 10:41 pm |
  15. Carolyn

Yes... Anderson Cooper, we all need to keep Egypt in our 'Thoughts & Prayers' and help them, any way that we can. I will not forget them... their situation weighs heavily on my 'Heart & Mind' as well. Thank you, again, Anderson Cooper for keeping the 'Light Shining' on this very serious ongoing situation... God Bless!!

February 7, 2011 at 10:41 pm |
  16. Jo Ann, Ohio

Good night Nancy in Oregon.

February 7, 2011 at 10:40 pm |
  17. lilly

@ Emily

I agree with you, Anderson must have felt helpless, being a victim of a crime with no police around. Let me correct myself, police around only looking the other way.

At least he was able to come home, Egyptian people unfortunately can't say that!

February 7, 2011 at 10:40 pm |
  18. Ashera

Do not give in Anderson! Report what is happening! Truth will WIN! My homeland citizens are feed up and now is their time. "Those who speak with fork tongue, will have that tongue silent." These protesters are well educated and the revolution will spread like tentacles throughout! It will never stop! TAHRIR!!!!!!!!

February 7, 2011 at 10:40 pm |
  19. Monica M. Williams

Prayers were answered: Good to see Anderson and crew made it home safely.

Thoughts of safe passage continue for Ivan and others still covering the story abroad.

February 7, 2011 at 10:39 pm |
  20. Gus

Anderson please be assured that the masses will always prevail against any dictatorship like Mubarek though may be costly and history should tell you I am a progressive Nationalist who believes that when people desire life they can break all barriers.

February 7, 2011 at 10:39 pm |
  21. Robert

thank you anderson! thanks for keeping the focus on egypt-for calling out the Lies and double speak of egypt's corrupt and immoral regime...you and your team stand between those protesters and the criminals that wait for you (and us) to look away...keep their feet to the fire!!!

February 7, 2011 at 10:39 pm |
  22. Gihan Abdel Razig

The 2 girls interviewed by Nic Robertson about the man shot are now in danger. After he leaves, he shows the street...right opposite to the notorious Ministry of Interior!!

February 7, 2011 at 10:39 pm |
  23. Neamat

I cannot thank you enough for keeping the attention on the Egyption people. They need our attention. And we need more individuals like you. You are a true hero. God bless you.

February 7, 2011 at 10:39 pm |
  24. Sara NYC

I am worried for these 2 ladies too.

Not every Evangelical American thinks that this is an Islamic Uprising. Some of us DO believe that people in Egypt just want their voices to be heard.

An Islamic Uprising is more helpful for Sulemain in keeping Mubarak in power. That's the reason they only met with the Muslim Brotherhood. A threat of a rise of a theocratic regime is the ONLY thing that can convince the West to continue to back a dictator like Mubarak monetarily. They cannot afford for the government of Egypt to become the government of Iran.

Sulemain doesn't even deserve the title of Vice President.

February 7, 2011 at 10:38 pm |
  25. Khandker Yasmin

I think there is no future in Egypt.

February 7, 2011 at 10:38 pm |
  26. Ahmed

thank you Anderson for being honest to my people, i wished i met you on the square so i can apologize for it myself, but those thugs are not real egyptians, you're welcome to come back and see real egyptians, and we'll show you the real egyptian hospitality, than you for being honest brother

February 7, 2011 at 10:38 pm |
  27. Lela Lombardo

What do other countries and especially Arab media report on the developments in Egypt?
    The UN needs to take a stand!
    The killing of the unarmed man only leaves us with images to imagine what happens behind closed doors.

February 7, 2011 at 10:37 pm |
  28. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

The people don't trust their government to do the right thing and their government not proving the people wrong.

February 7, 2011 at 10:37 pm |
  29. Ali Elqursh

I am an Egyptian PhD candidate studying in the U.S. Wanted to tell you how great your coverage today to the events in Egypt. You unveiled the brutality of this dictatorship. Keep the good work. Every Egyptian here relates to every word you said. For years we lived in fear but no more.

February 7, 2011 at 10:36 pm |
  30. Starr, formerly known as vincent

@Emily & JoAnn

I agree with both of you. Those women may well be in danger.
    Because i don't think like the undercover police/soldiers, it would not have occurred to me that they would be watching Nick so closely to see who he was going to see.
    I pray the women will be safe.

February 7, 2011 at 10:36 pm |
  31. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Starr,
    Yes, Good point there....... Anderson is very angry right now as I also angry at them who attacked Anderson last week.... I agree.

February 7, 2011 at 10:35 pm |
  32. nancyinoregon

I must say goodnight early tonight, people. Thank you for the invigorating, passionate discussion. Thanks to AC 360 as well. Everyone at CNN, please stay safe and be supportive.

February 7, 2011 at 10:35 pm |
  33. Cessy - Chicago

No one can forget crisis like this! how can anyone forget Egypt?

February 7, 2011 at 10:34 pm |
  34. Sue R. Canton MI.

These videos are disturbing.

Now that our reporters and journalists are returning home, were hearing the real stories about whats really happening to the protesters and so many innocent people in Egypt.

February 7, 2011 at 10:34 pm |
  35. lilly

Secret Police? making people disappear? y prayers go to the families of the kidnapped Egyptians.

We scream bloody murder, when someone is kidnapped and murder in this country. Yet it seems like an everyday thing in Egypt. The unjustices of this world:(

February 7, 2011 at 10:33 pm |
  36. Reza, CA

Good to have you back Anderson! Great job reporting in Egypt. I don't think the protesters are going away anytime soon; it seems they're getting momentum. This corrupted Egyptian government needs a major reform.

February 7, 2011 at 10:32 pm |
  37. Gus

I am a Lebanese Canadian who's always glued to CNN and your reporting especially in Egypt along with your colleagues have inspired me and made me believe there are decent, honest, upstanding people like you.You're a great fighter for the human rights. Keep up the good and thank you

February 7, 2011 at 10:31 pm |
  38. Fazlu

To maintain stability in ME we need to have friendship of Egyptian people not the pharaoh. Same is for Israel also. We are double standard. Almost everywhere we are supporting the dictator not the people. Mubarak should go immediately and Egypt should have a transitional govt. like Tunisia. Our administration is totally wrong to give time to Mubarak to go,,

February 7, 2011 at 10:30 pm |
  39. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Yes, please stay safe!

February 7, 2011 at 10:30 pm |
  40. Starr, formerly known as vincent

Bless those women and their courage!
    What a truly touching motivation to "get his rights" for him. And, get info to his family.

Every night, i watch incredible courage by Egyptian people. I truly hope the continued "repression" is beaten by the courage i have seen every night!

February 7, 2011 at 10:29 pm |
  41. Heleni

I hope the young women are safe after videotaping the shooting. Nic Robertson should follow up about their lives discretly.

February 7, 2011 at 10:29 pm |
  42. Chi

Evening AC and AC360
    The killing of that man on the street is inhumane.

February 7, 2011 at 10:29 pm |
  43. Jana, Georgia

Welcome back Anderson.

I was hoping for a little more in depth interview with you and Piers Morgan. I am sure it would have been very interesting hearing your perspective of what went on.

Glad to see Ivan and Ben are still there and hope they stay safe.

February 7, 2011 at 10:29 pm |
  44. Rose from Muscoy, Calif

A sad video, I feel sorry for his family. I am sure his family saw this, but affraid to claim his body.

February 7, 2011 at 10:29 pm |
  45. Rasha-Canada

Thank you for continuing to show the world what is happening in Egypt. I have noticed that as time has gone by, most channels have been neglecting what is happening.

February 7, 2011 at 10:28 pm |
  46. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

That's right women....... President Mubarak and police are the accountable what they done damaged against unarmed man!!!!!! Thanks Nic!!!!!

February 7, 2011 at 10:28 pm |
  47. Cessy - Chicago

Great reporting,Nic Robertson! Very brave. you were making me nervous seeing you and your staff walk in the streets.

February 7, 2011 at 10:28 pm |
  48. Emily

@Jo Ann,
    "I worry about these two courageous women.."
    I agree with you, Jo Ann!
    It's been terribly violent in Alexandria right from the start from what I recall. (gun shots, etc, before it started in Cairo)

February 7, 2011 at 10:28 pm |
  49. Isam from Toronto

Anderson, Thank you so much for keeping the attention on the Egyptian people. When the state controls the national media, newspapers, all officials and even the scared people. It is the international media, like your team, that gives the protesters legitimacy, a sense of righteousness and hope that the world is watching and that change is coming soon.

February 7, 2011 at 10:28 pm |
  50. Timothy

I think you are an amazing journalist and I enjoy watching you because I feel that you are up front with the people with your reporting.

I think it is great that you travel to all these disaster sites and risk your own life to tell the public what is going on and to keep us informed.

I am glad that you arrived back safely from Egypt, the question is, why is Egypt a personal and emotional topic for you?

February 7, 2011 at 10:27 pm |