February 5th, 2011
  1. Kuba

Why do you even went to Egypt in the first place if you were so scared?

February 7, 2011 at 11:01 am |
  2. Lisa in Louisville

This installment of "Reporters Notebook" was incredibly moving, thought provoking, and just plain brilliant. Kudos to you and all of the CNN men and women on the ground in Egypt. Safe travels home.

February 7, 2011 at 10:45 am |
  3. HishamHossam

Hello everyone...I would love to thank Everyone comments here & Supporting Egypt..& the people of Egypt..& i would Search in the Streets of Cairo for Anderson & his Crew to thank them Personally..!
    for the people here asking Anderson to come back & "get the heck outta Egypt"..cause he might be killed, or Harmed ... i say if he doesn't get through this kind of Situations..you wouldn't have liked his Show at 1st..& you wouldn't have seen the truth about Egypt... That day when he was Under attack.. I was outta Breath Myself..& I was in Utter Confusion myself.. Cause i know this doesn't happen out of Egyptians..& throughout the Video..there were Guys trying to get him out of this situation Safely..Being an Egyptian i can hear what they have been saying & trying to Shield him!
    I cannot Guarantee anything myself concerning his safety nowadays..But i Believe very extremely much in the sons of My country, & in the safety of the streets of my country 24/7..
    & i guess any American or westerner has been here before these crisis would extremely support that point...in Egypt..there is no area you could call as Unsafe in normal days..& literally "27/7"..u can as a westerner go anytime anywhere..& be welcomed..& loved...!
    course there would be some Tiny amount of Ignorance & Ignorant people who might annoy you one way or another..But i guess that Happens everywhere around planet Earth...Right!?

Again....Thanks Anderson..Thanks to his Crew..& thanks to anyone supports us..!

February 7, 2011 at 10:30 am |
  4. Reba Harris

I've never been so moved by a news story as I have with the Egyptian uprising. Moved to tears for the safety of all journalists & the precious people standing up for basics rights that we as Americans take for granted every day of our lives. For 48 hours straight I was glued to the CNN coverage, especially AC360. I prayed for the safety of the journalists and the Egyptain people. If these camera's weren't there thousands would have been killed I have no doubt of that. As our President reminded the Egyptain ruler, the world is watching, THANK GOD we were because of men and women who believes in freedom of speech. Thank YOU Journalists. Thank You!!

February 7, 2011 at 2:14 am |
  5. Diaa Nassar

You wonderfully passed the right message as you genuinely lived these tough moments where Egyptians were reborn, realizing they are free and dignified. Anderson Cooper: I highly appreciate your true sense and connectedness to the real people!

February 7, 2011 at 12:39 am |
  6. Yasser Rasheed

I applaud your work in Egypt, Anderson. Best wishes for a safe return ...

February 7, 2011 at 12:06 am |
  7. americanno

Mr. Cooper,

I have to admit I'm not your biggest fan. I know the news industry and I've worked with my share of overly dramatic reporters that fall to pieces when a situation takes a turn for the worse, but my opinion of you changed when you were set upon by the angry protesters. You kept your cool when faced with a very serious threat and I believe it might have saved you and your crew from some serious harm. Good luck out there and stay true to the story.

February 6, 2011 at 11:46 pm |
  8. Nereida Garcia

Glad to hear you are back in the U.S.A. As brilliant a reporter you are, I and millions of others would prefer your safety above all. Thank you for being the true voice of the Egyptian protesters.

February 6, 2011 at 10:54 pm |
  9. eva

@andersoncooper
    Did you know the prisoners at El Kanater Mens Prison, Near Cairo, are in a life or death situation? Food and water running out and locked in 4days at a time, sanitary matters etc. It needs to be investigated immediately. Recover well Anderson and take care.

February 6, 2011 at 9:35 pm |
  10. Cairo.girl

February 6, 2011 at 9:31 pm |
  11. Linda Lewellen

Anderson, sorry you need to leave Egypt as you and your crew have done an outstanding job in difficult & dangerous circumstances. We need your objective reporting & if returning to the U.S. is what's needed to keep you safe, that's the prudent thing to do.There will be other stories, and maybe you'll go back to Egypt before this transition is completed. Rock on!

February 6, 2011 at 8:15 pm |
  12. Thanks

Don't think you didn't matter because you do. We see what they are doing now. We didn't know this before.

February 6, 2011 at 8:13 pm |
  13. Nadia

We each have a role to play in the world, some play theirs well and some don't even know what their role is. For those who do, thanks for carrying the rest of us on your backs. For those who don't, no one will remember you or what you didn't do. Anderson plays his role well along with many great journalists.

February 6, 2011 at 5:49 pm |
  14. Vilmarie

Dear Anderson. I hope you are well. Please get out of there as soon as possible. I know that you are doing what you feel is your duty but the US Department of State has already encouraged all Americans to get out of their as soon as possile. With best prayerful wishes. Vilmarie.

February 6, 2011 at 5:29 pm |
  15. Phil K.

Mr. Cooper, I found your reporting from Cairo to be narrowly focused on the sensational street scenes and highly reflective of your own desired outcome (the immediate resignation of Mubarek) rather than reporting an accurate assessment of the difficulty of making a political change in a country that has been ruled for 30 plus years by an autocrat and military government and the risks associated with such a change. Your reporting played to the sensational for sure – but displayed a profound lack of understanding of the process of change unfolding in Egypt.
    I contrast your reporting to that of Christiane Amanpour. She wasn’t “holed” up in some secret location and broadcasting sitting on the floor. Rather she was reporting from the streets – speaking to both anti-government as well as Mubarek supporters in an effort to present the divergent views. She was focused on trying to understand the demands of the people, the risks associated with change and probing the various outcomes. She was able to meet with Mubarek as well as securing an interview with Suleiman. She accurately portrayed the role of ElBaradei – an outsider who is not widely viewed as a leader of the opposition. This was great journalism – thoughtful, unbiased, and nuanced.
    I have no doubt that foreign journalists faced incredible obstacles and placed themselves in harms way in order to report the news. I know that you were attacked and my criticism in no way is meant to detract or cheapen what happened to you. But when this became the story – you did yourself a disservice. The real story is and continues to be about the ground up movement toward a democrat political system in an Arab country. This should be the center point of your attention and not the sensualism of “mob” democracy.

February 6, 2011 at 4:37 pm |
  16. Abena

i agree with tammy. please get out of egypt. the world needs you more than anything. i've been praying for you and the team since i heard you were attacked. GOD bless you and remember you are loved!!!

February 6, 2011 at 4:04 pm |
  17. William Rector Erwin Jr.

President Hosni Mubarak is, by standards of world diplomacy, a statesman. He and President Sadat removed Egypt from the strain of warfare with Israel, and was a major factor in stability in the Middle East. He deserves consideration as such.

Seeing & hearing Egyptians striving for reform is exciting. However, only in The New York Times this week have I seen substantial articles upon the efforts of Egyptian leaders to stabilize the country and to move forward. Where is CNN?

Revolutions in general have bad histories, especially outside Europe. Relatively cosmopolitan Egypt, Cairo in particular, has a better chance.

In America, we benefited from long stable colonial & local governments, our peculiar inheritance from Tudor-Stuart England and from the huge numbers of Scots-Irish here, inheritors of Scotland, the most literate country in Europe in the 1700s and Edinburgh, with Paris, the intellectual capitals of Europe. See Walter A. McDougall's A New History of Europe for a remarkable rendering of our circumstances.

February 6, 2011 at 3:27 pm |
  18. Patrick

Fear has been defeated! Words the whole wold needs to hear. This needs to be a wake up call, for those that chose to take more than they need while leaving others suffering in the wake. Fear has been defeated in Egypt! Those that wish to force others into submission need to heed this warning. Greed will die! The evil that gets inside of a human, and makes them feed on other humans, will be defeated the world over! The day is near when human brothers and sisters unite against this evil. Some DNA won't make it. This is the time humans needs to ask themselves if they can live with out this evil guiding them the evil that rapes humans, and robs them of their self worth and dignity. Peace and love will guide this planet! Thank you Anderson Cooper, for helping shine a bright global light on the truth in Egypt. The true 2012 prophecies tell of this shift. Good will conquer evil, and the great spirit one worships will not mater but only the spirits that guide them in their everyday lives. This is the best time in the history of earth to be alive unless you can not stop letting evil guide you! Evil won't be able to hide, some DNA will attract evil no matter what. This DNA will be wiped off the face of the planet, and humans will be able to live in peace side by side!

February 6, 2011 at 3:19 pm |
  19. Lee

I always watch AC cover very important historical events and always been impressed by his humanity in reporting and presenting the truth as much as he can.Now in Egypt and once again he and his crew braving the dangers just to let the world know on how it is,thank you!!!.Stay safe AC and crew along with Ben, Nick, Ian. You are among the gems in journalism!

February 6, 2011 at 3:04 pm |
  20. sarah

how poetic ,the Egyptian people seem to be a movement and flow similar to poetry themselves. thank you for allowing us to watch. we are grateful for you Mr. Cooper and the passion of Egypt. God Bless you and all of the other people for standing witness. I generally write my feelings in a notebook I guess not today.

February 6, 2011 at 2:37 pm |
  21. Bill

I was moved to tears. You have a big heart. I must retract my earlier comments on a later blog.

February 6, 2011 at 2:27 pm |
  22. Melanie Davies

Dear Anderson, I like your reports and trust them. I like Ayman Mohyeldin, a reporter on Aljazeera English as well. I saw what had happened to you in Cairo and felt very bad for you. You didn't deserve to be treated that way. Now Ayman is detained by the military! who knows what they are doing to him at this time. Please help him. Freedom is for all not just for the few.
    Thank you.

February 6, 2011 at 12:43 pm |
  23. fred chambers

Andedrson, enjoy your show. Can you please ask the pro democracy demonstrators if they will allow any type of demonstations if they come to power, it would be interesting to know their answer for posterity.

February 6, 2011 at 11:29 am |
  24. dod

how fascinated to see somebody who is not egyptian and never lived in egypt feel the pain we feel and how is this regime deal with his people..

February 6, 2011 at 11:28 am |
  25. Franka from Germany

As a German who has lived in Egypt for several years I dearly love the Egyptian people. I like your 'Notebook'-video very much as it features the true heroes of Cairo: normal people who didn't aim at being heroes but simply turned out to be such. You put it correctly: This is about people asking for rights all of us like to enjoy.
    I've been watching our own news-programs, CNN an AJE during those last days and thank you so much for your coverage, your courage and commitment.
    All best, Franka

February 6, 2011 at 10:45 am |
  26. Londa, New York

The reporter's notebook is my favorite part of 360. I wonder if it would still work if it was about something positive and pleasant.

February 6, 2011 at 8:34 am |
  27. joseph

I think Mobarak will winn by attrition. Thous that go out of the square can't come back in and the protesters are gowin smaller every day. In just a few more days the agony of those suffering will all be for not. I am sorry but that is thew way these things are won. Good luck Anderson get home safe

February 6, 2011 at 2:46 am |
  28. amalthea

thank you for this moving piece of journalism. you carry tough and important questions – thanks for being brave enough to put your body in position to ask them. you are the only cable news show that i enjoy watching, thanks for having true journalistic integrity.

February 6, 2011 at 1:43 am |
  29. Penny Kirchner

As a young girl growing up in Canada I can remember watching the news and listening to Walter Cronkite and thought when that era ended we would never see reporters like his caliber again. I was wrong Anderson as you are continuing the path of those great before you. I enjoy watching your show nightly and feeling your compassion as shown in "Reporter's Notebook" keep up the good work

February 6, 2011 at 1:31 am |
  30. Vesta

Anderson, you covered the Egyptian crisis with fairness,Intelligence, Grace and dignity.
    The targeted and vicious assault on you,which the world witnessed, happened when you reached out to get all points of views, characteristically, to the public. Even after the unthinkable attack, you still continued to cover the uprising with professionalism and bravery.Extraordinary! The world is in awe.
    Thanks for a remarkable coverage by you and your team.

February 6, 2011 at 12:38 am |
  31. Abid Abdella

Anderson: I do not know how to thank you for this piece and for all of your excellent work in Egypt. I can feel the sincerity in your words and I can clearly tell how much you care about freedom and justice. As an Arab and American, I want to tell you that you represent the America that I love and I very much care about. Thank you Anderson, and stay safe.

February 6, 2011 at 12:02 am |
  32. Amy

The best words ever , thanks a lot Anderson , it really touched my heart and soul, Im egyptiann who left the country 3 years ago in result of this regime of Mubarak .
    while listening to ur words I felt like flying to my country while beeing in my place , Many thanks Anderson

February 5, 2011 at 10:38 pm |
  33. Shamoun

We are glad that you and every journalist reporting the voices of the people of Egypt are safe. God bless you and stay on your side and on the side of every real and passionate person that all they care about is the well bieng of every human, regardless of their faith or ethnic backgroung.

We love you Anderson

February 5, 2011 at 10:33 pm |
  34. Amira

I was born in Egypt and still have many family members there, so, needless to say, I have been glued to the television watching the events unfold through various news sources since day one. I have to commend CNN's Anderson Cooper on his amazing work. His sincerity in reporting come through every word he speaks. I also admire him (and other journalists) for having the courage to brave the chaos on the streets in order to present us with as complete a story as possible. Thank you Anderson for some pretty damn spectacular journalism.

Stay safe, and I shall continue to watch history in the making through your eyes.

February 5, 2011 at 10:32 pm |
  35. Jose Ferrer

You are again attempting to become the news. As a professional journalist are you not suppose to report the news as objectively as possible? Are you really surprised why you are not embraced by those opposing the "demonstrators"? Please don't insult us with your supposed professionalism and journalistic integrity– you lost that a long time ago. The truth of the story is that you truly believe you are immune because you think you know better. Perhaps it is time for you to turn back. I wish you safe return, but let this experience be a lesson learned and a humbling experience.

February 5, 2011 at 10:32 pm |
  36. Amira

Stay safe, and I shall continue to watch history back in my place of birth through your eyes.

February 5, 2011 at 10:29 pm |
  37. Harris

Anderson, eloquent and heartfelt as always. You and the whole cnn crew have done a spectacular job. You should be proud. Safe travel home Anderson.

February 5, 2011 at 9:35 pm |
  38. Nancy

Dear Anderson,

I want to thank you, Ivan and the other reporters at CNN for putting your lives at risk so that you can report a story that I can sit back and watch in the comfort of my own home. There are many times that reporters get a bad rap. You and your team show just how honorable true journalism is and how important it is to the world. It's clear that many Egyptians have been helped by all of the journalists who have put their lives at risk so that the rest of the world can see the injustice and the desires of the majority of the Egyptian people.

I will miss your live reporting from Egypt but, the most important thing is that you and the rest of your team are safe. I want to see you reporting the news until I'm as grey as the "Grey Fox"!

God Bless You all!

February 5, 2011 at 9:06 pm |
  39. Waleed El-Feky

Anderson and team overing Egypt,
    We are proud of you and your team for your courageous coverage. You are witnessing and helping us witness history in the making. Your efforts are a major force behind getting the protestors in Tahrir square, Alexandria and all other areas that you are able to report from to rest of the world. We wish you all the best. Stay safe.

February 5, 2011 at 7:13 pm |
  40. Reham El- Sherazi

Dear Anderson and the crew, as an Egyptian American I want to thank you so much for making the true voice of the Egyptian people heard by the whole world. We all appreciate what you did and the hardship you went through. It's because of you and international media reporters that the voice of the Egyptian people, the call for freedom and democracy is being heard, they had no chance with the Egyptian TV channels. To me you are one of those heros in Tahrir square calling for justice to be heard .THANK YOU!!

February 5, 2011 at 7:06 pm |
  41. Samuel Shu

Mr. Cooper, as always, great job.

One thing missing from all the reports from Egypt is what kind of information ordinary Egyptians get about recent events and how they view it.

We can view CNN and read New York Times but that's probably not the picture one gets from viewing Egyptian TV and reading Egyptian newspapers. Would you be able to find out the picture ordinary Egyptians are getting?

Thank you.

February 5, 2011 at 6:52 pm |
  42. Abdisamad

The Egyptian people have long being apathetic about their plight under the tyrannical rule of dictators. I am more than delighted to see them stand up for their God given rights to live free and be dignified people. Anderson is right… fear has been defeated and there is no turning back now. Long live the aspirations of the Egyptian people and all of those around the world that yearn for freedom and a more dignified life.

February 5, 2011 at 6:39 pm |
  43. Danny Morris

Thank you for your courage and determination to communicate the story from Egypt. Safe travels.

February 5, 2011 at 6:33 pm |
  44. Antonine from Canada

You make me cry with your words Anderson. You choose the perfect words to describe a chaotic situation. Thank you for showing the world the truth.
    Stay safe !

February 5, 2011 at 6:29 pm |
  45. Karen

Thank you for all the coverage you have done in Egypt. Thank you for telling the truth about what is happening there.

February 5, 2011 at 6:18 pm |
  46. K.D. Birdsong

Very nice, Andy. I first became a "fan" after watching you stick your head out from behind a wall during Hurricane Dennis here in Pensacola.You dodged some flying debris nicely. You are in a much more serious situation now so don't stick your head out! Stay safe and thanks for your intelligent and sensitive reporting.

February 5, 2011 at 4:21 pm |
  47. Mandana

Last year at the time of uprising in Iran, I was there, and witnessed the peaceful movement very similar with what's happening now in Egypt.
    When I see this "Reporter's Notebook" last night in your show, I was so impressed and loved it... It's about Freedom and Peace, and it's universal...

February 5, 2011 at 4:07 pm |
  48. Carol n Mike

Sat. 2/5/2011. Dear Anderson and crew, We thank you all so very much for travelling to Egypt & placing yourselves in this unpredictable/volatile situation so the U.S. & World will know the truth by the seeing/hearing the actual events. Stay Safe!

February 5, 2011 at 4:01 pm |
  49. tammy

I wish Anderson and his crew would just get the heck out of there!! I love watching his show and I am very afraid for his safety.

February 5, 2011 at 3:36 pm |
  50. Karin Urban from Berlin/Germany

I was moved to tears by Anderson's words, and I am really amazed that in all the chaos he witnessed and was in, he was able to write and speak such a moving and sensible comment.

February 5, 2011 at 3:18 pm |