February 4th, 2011

Demanding Change in Egypt: Join the Live Chat

Tens of thousands of people took to the streets of Cairo Friday demanding change. It was mostly jubilant, but there was also tension. There's still a crowd in Liberation Square at this hour. Anderson reports live from the capital city tonight with the latest developments.

Want more details on what covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Jack M in Newfoundland,Canada

Great job Anderson. Just happy to see you are safe and more confident that things a getting a little better for the journalists over there. However, we all know that Mubarak has got to go, and a transitional, democratic goverment elected, with international scrutiny. Peace to all those fighting for their future, and shame on Mubarak's pro forces that has caused a lot of deaths.

February 4, 2011 at 10:52 pm |
  2. Janis

@Emily – Yes or his complete mental breakdown or arrest by his top military general.

February 4, 2011 at 10:52 pm |
  3. Mary

@Karyn–I hope your husband in Cairo is in a safe neighborhood.
    Who knows what will happen as people are going hungry and the food prices are nuts with low supplies. The average egyptian was already complaining of food prices...now it's just worse.

Saying a prayer for Egypt–

February 4, 2011 at 10:52 pm |
  4. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

It would be nice to get a translation of what demonstrators are chanting.

February 4, 2011 at 10:52 pm |
  5. lilly

Amazed by technology, reading Anderson's tweets as I typed this.

February 4, 2011 at 10:51 pm |
  6. Emily

@lisal -canada,
    Did Harper say anything today about Egypt?

February 4, 2011 at 10:51 pm |
  7. Jana, Georgia

Mary, I hope she continues to be safe. It sounds really bad for all of them. Good night and try to get some rest. You have a lot on your mind.

Good night Emily and Megan.

Anderson and crew stay safe and thanks for all the reports you all have brought to us during these difficult days.

February 4, 2011 at 10:51 pm |
  8. Lori

I will be suprised if this stand-off lasts as long as 10 days.

February 4, 2011 at 10:50 pm |
  9. Sue from Syracuse

Thank you all. Everyone, take extra care. I mean in Egypt... and here in the U.S.

February 4, 2011 at 10:50 pm |
  10. Alys

Hey Christiane! Great to get your take on events. My opinion is that a major concern is the turn-over of power with dignity. Who is going to take over and will they be better or worse? These are just a few of my worries.

February 4, 2011 at 10:50 pm |
  11. Emily

Do any of those on the panel think that Mubarak will "fight to his death"?

February 4, 2011 at 10:50 pm |
  12. Janis

Anderson and all journalists in Egypt, just by being there and by continuing your coverage you probably saved thousands of lives. Every punch, rock thrown, clothes ripped, equipment taken, death of the Egyptian journalist saved them. You are bearing witness for the world. Your profession is a nobel one.

I believe Mubarak is becoming desparate and you and your fellow journalists may be all that is standing between him and and his doing something horrific.

February 4, 2011 at 10:49 pm |
  13. Porfirio California

For transition not nessesary for Mubarak to stay ,elections will take place faster, in 60 days,then a change in the constitution and WHAM ..!political parties are allowed.

February 4, 2011 at 10:49 pm |
  14. Jody

Christiane is amazing. I can't believe she was able to get that interview!
    I think that they need a new constitution before a new leader to help insure that the new leadership adheres to democratic principles and process.

February 4, 2011 at 10:49 pm |
  15. Emily

@Jody,
    "I feel like so many parents give their children everything material but fail to give them perspective."
    Wow! Are you sure that you're only 15yrs old?!
    You sound very wise beyond your years. Unfortunately, I hate to say it, but I see so many that seem very self-entitled. I know that there are many great teenagers too. I was one at one time, and I'm sure that the same thing was said about me too. It's great that you're watching something like international news on your own at 15! Awesome!! 🙂

February 4, 2011 at 10:49 pm |
  16. lilly

i love how anderson and colleagues, feel safe enough to be outside. Seeing journalists from different networks, sharing their interviews and experiences have been amazing.

February 4, 2011 at 10:48 pm |
  17. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

The soldiers could have said to the people, "Keep it moving!" or "Break it up there!"

February 4, 2011 at 10:48 pm |
  18. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Yes bloggers,
    Nice see Christiane Amanpour this week...... She is great job tonight.

February 4, 2011 at 10:48 pm |
  19. Diane

@Starr

Unbelievable isn't it? He wrote that constitution himself I bet. Why does it have to be so ironclad? Rip it up and start fresh. IMHO

February 4, 2011 at 10:48 pm |
  20. Mary

@Jana she's safe, but there's a whole side of the story that those who are not protesting are living in a state of fear of the unknown...life has stopped and some have not left their apartments since last week....

These protestors have to have a plan in place for a transitional government, otherwise things will go into further chaos and anarchy...that's what many people who are trapped in their homes are fearful of.

February 4, 2011 at 10:48 pm |
  21. Sue from Syracuse

@Emily,
    I am not familiar with their legal system.. whether it is grounded in religion.. If it is linked into religion, someone from the supreme court may be problematic.
    What I also wonder about is how their judges get appointed.
    But, I hear you on following the process...

February 4, 2011 at 10:47 pm |
  22. Karyn, Indiana

@Starr: Excellent comment! Agree.. Mubarak has that Egyptian pride and if he is pushed I'm sure he will buck back!

February 4, 2011 at 10:47 pm |
  23. Rasha

Thank you for all your dedication. I have lots of loved one's in Egypt, watching coverage and seeing what is happening instead of being blind has kept me sane. Please stay safe, my prayers are with you, all the journalists and the brave and peaceful Egyptians standing up for theirbasic rights.

February 4, 2011 at 10:47 pm |
  24. Karyn, Indiana

@Mary: My Egyptian husband is in Cairo.. it's not only escapees that are looting. Ppl are out of money, food, patience and don't know what else to do to feed their children! Is ur Mom in a safe place?

February 4, 2011 at 10:45 pm |
  25. Starr, formerly known as vincent

This is news! The Egyptian Pres. Has to be in office to change the Constitution...now isn't that special.

On the other hand, I think that Christian makes a good point about not "humiliating" Mubarak. That humiliation may well be the central issue of getting Mubarak to leave, with the exception of the Constitutional thing.

It is really good to see Christian on CNN!

February 4, 2011 at 10:44 pm |
  26. Emily

It's been great to see Christiane Amanpour back on CNN the past few days!

February 4, 2011 at 10:44 pm |
  27. Ralph

i too have always christian amanpour and her reporting

February 4, 2011 at 10:44 pm |
  28. Jana, Georgia

Mary, I hope your mom is safe in Alexandria.

It is nice to see Christiana back on CNN even for just a bit.

February 4, 2011 at 10:43 pm |
  29. Mary

also pictures were shown of the Christians protecting the Muslims today in the square...something good coming out of this 'revolution' after the horrific events in alexandria on 1 Jan on a coptic church there. nice to see it's fostering Egyptian unity.

February 4, 2011 at 10:43 pm |
  30. Emily

Someone who re-enters the country that he's not lived in for 30 years to take over doesn't come across as 'sincere' as not wanting to make those in the former regime look bad. (in my opinion)

February 4, 2011 at 10:43 pm |
  31. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

But, I heard that the Embassy was in Lock-Down that day, so unlikely that Any citizen did that.

Star,
    Yes, they had lockdown right now since protestors marches on against him as well......

Bloggers,
    Those prisoners escaped from jail during protesting...... You are right, guys.

February 4, 2011 at 10:43 pm |
  32. Nicole The Netherlands

I have heard talk about a man called Amr Moussa a former Egyptian minister and secretary general of the Arab League, he has been on the square to. Anyone know?!

February 4, 2011 at 10:43 pm |
  33. Mary

@jana american news outlets didn't show the mass looting and that there are prisons outside of cairo that let out prisoners....my mom is stuck in alexandria, egypt now and her block has a neighborhood watch, last weekend was particularly scary with these escapees trying to loot homes and came with stolen vehicles....

February 4, 2011 at 10:41 pm |
  34. Emily

@Sue from Syracuse,
    It is very nice in the Army, however, I'd like to learn more about the person that is the head of their Supreme Court. According to their system, that is who would be the next in line...as the Vice President is considered to be connected to the President and as you know, the people don't trust Mubarak. So, I'd like to know, who is the Head of the Supreme Court? Those in the Military are also chosen by Mubarak.

February 4, 2011 at 10:41 pm |
  35. lilly

christiane is amazing, one of the best international journalist.

February 4, 2011 at 10:41 pm |
  36. lisal -canada

it was such a pleasure to hear christiane's voice and commentary – i have always admired her and her work – i always find something of value in what she has to say

February 4, 2011 at 10:41 pm |
  37. Karyn, Indiana

Everyday is a day of prayer (5 x's per day)... Friday is their day to go pray with brothers/sisters at the mosque.

February 4, 2011 at 10:40 pm |
  38. Sue from Syracuse

God bless all of you reporter.. You all are doing a tremendous job of simply reporting and not influencing the direction of the news despite the people's active efforts to pull you in. Neutrality of media is a great thing we need to promote there... and even here. Thank you all.

February 4, 2011 at 10:39 pm |
  39. John

Good Evening and please keep safe. I am wondering why the United Nations cannot help with a transition?

February 4, 2011 at 10:39 pm |
  40. Starr, formerly known as vincent

@Karyn – thanks for your post. I'll keep going until you have your husband home.
    BTW, thanks for the correct spelling of Pharaoh (smile).

February 4, 2011 at 10:39 pm |
  41. Rose from Muscoy, Calif

The U.S.A have given officals vans ect. To the Egypt government. I do believe that the hit-and-run was in purpose, because it happened to many times, within days.

February 4, 2011 at 10:39 pm |
  42. Jody

@Emily I feel like so many parents give their children everything material but fail to give them perspective. We all need to understand our history and our place in the global neighborhood.

I thank Anderson and all his colleagues for their incredible coverage. Without a few brave souls willing to risk their lives the world would never see the truth.

February 4, 2011 at 10:38 pm |
  43. Shania from Northern california

Anderson and wonderful team.....
    on behalf of my family and 20 or so friends/ relatives who are gathered tonight at my home and watching CNN.....we want to say THANK YOU...... for your courage to cover Egyptian uprising... To show to world the true nature of Mobarak regime....
    We Pray for your safety and best wishes for this brave nation...........

February 4, 2011 at 10:38 pm |
  44. Nicole The Netherlands

@ Emily and Steve, thanks for the additional info, I am learning a lot!

February 4, 2011 at 10:38 pm |
  45. Jana, Georgia

Yes Mary you are correct, I forgot about all those prisoners escaping that day.

February 4, 2011 at 10:37 pm |
  46. Sue from Syracuse

@Emily, the choices are few.. There is virtually no bench strength.. What is coming across as "Nice" is the army!!!!!

February 4, 2011 at 10:37 pm |
  47. Lori

I agree Gloria! Every day should be a day of prayer.

February 4, 2011 at 10:36 pm |
  48. karim

it was a peaceful today because (Tantawie)secretary of defense was there today that why the govt had extra secirty

February 4, 2011 at 10:36 pm |
  49. Emily

@Steve,
    "Opportunist Elbaradie,"
    Oh, I sure hope that he doesn't get in...I just have this really bad feeling about Mohamed ElBaradei. When those of Egyptian decent told me that they felt that he was covering for Iran when he was the head of the IAEA, and giving reports to the US so that they would not go in and see their nuclear system(s).

February 4, 2011 at 10:36 pm |
  50. Sue from Syracuse

I am concerned about US-conservative politicians going to Israel in the midst of this. This is NOT a situation to politicize for personal gain.

February 4, 2011 at 10:36 pm |