February 4th, 2011

Demanding Change in Egypt: Join the Live Chat

Tens of thousands of people took to the streets of Cairo Friday demanding change. It was mostly jubilant, but there was also tension. There's still a crowd in Liberation Square at this hour. Anderson reports live from the capital city tonight with the latest developments.

Want more details on what covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Janis

Re: the white van – Mubarak must believe he is smarter than everyone. Revolutions will never take place without the world watching again. Barbaric behavior.

February 4, 2011 at 10:35 pm |
  2. lisal -canada

oh the internet – there is so much that can be tracked online – if the government has the power to shut down the internet and bring it back up again then they may likely also have access to various information which may not be accessible based on the rules of other countries (sometimes 'virtual rules and legalities' are based on the country in which hosting hardware resides, rather than in the country in which it is accessed from)

February 4, 2011 at 10:35 pm |
  3. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Everyday should be a day of prayer!

February 4, 2011 at 10:35 pm |
  4. Mary

i just saw the video of stolen vehicles. please remember that thousands of prisoners were released on 28 jan causing havoc across cairo and alexandria, hence the neighborhood watches. not all have been caught...2- many americans can't get to the airport bc it's unsafe and state dept not helping especially those not in cairo.

February 4, 2011 at 10:35 pm |
  5. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Oh my gosh!!!!! That is so disturbing video!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I so shocking that is so horrible shock!!!!!! YIKES!

Anderson,
    I agree with you, That is so disturbing video!

February 4, 2011 at 10:35 pm |
  6. Nicole The Netherlands

Anderson very good to put this video on, how awful and stomach turning it is.
    You check the facts! as always, Thanks!

February 4, 2011 at 10:34 pm |
  7. Karyn, Indiana

@Starr: Thank you!!! Any help and suggestions are so welcomed. This is a new hurdle for me to cross in life! Prayers are so appreciated.

The van that ran the protesters over... God help them, and give the drivers what they deserve!

February 4, 2011 at 10:34 pm |
  8. Starr, formerly known as vincent

That video is shocking. And, of course, it was meant to cause Anti-Americanism.

But,I heard that the Embassy was in Lock-Down that day, so unlikely that Any citizen did that.

February 4, 2011 at 10:34 pm |
  9. Omar

Hi Anderson,

By the time you finish your mission in Cairo, you will become an expert in reading between the lines, interpreting, and analyzing the devious politics of Mubarak's regime and alike.

Imagine how patient the Egyptians have been in dealing with the criminal Mubarak and his regime.It has been 30 years.

I assure you that the secret police stole the American diplomatic vehicle to affirm their claims that this revolt is done by foreigners.

February 4, 2011 at 10:33 pm |
  10. lilly

I can't understand how anyone could have so much hate, to make someone run over so many people. Where is their concious?

February 4, 2011 at 10:33 pm |
  11. Emily

@Jody,
    "My 15 yr old has been glued to CNN watching history unfold hour by hour."
    The entire comment you posted, Jody was wonderful! It's good to see that you're interested in the events in the world. 🙂

February 4, 2011 at 10:32 pm |
  12. Sue from Syracuse

The fact that Mubarak-loyalists attacked peaceful demonstrators on a FRIDAY... says it all.

February 4, 2011 at 10:32 pm |
  13. Porfirio California

Great reporting Anderson,President Mubarak is making to many mistakes ,turning against people ,reporters the internet,selecting his conditional V.P.& wishing for caos?
    keep it up bravo ,Team .Anderson

February 4, 2011 at 10:32 pm |
  14. Jana, Georgia

This video is just awful. I can't believe someone would do that to people.

February 4, 2011 at 10:31 pm |
  15. Sue from Syracuse

It is great to see a female activist in the midst of that protest... she was impressively energetic. Very happy to see women getting involved. I hope Egypt begins its democracy with 1 person 1 vote (including all genders!).

February 4, 2011 at 10:31 pm |
  16. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

I am happy to know that thing has calm down from the last few days which tell us that some one powerful was behind all of that confusion!

February 4, 2011 at 10:31 pm |
  17. Nicole The Netherlands

@ Everyone, I have been glued to the story about Egypt today, and for a laugh, saw some great photographs of people wearing all sorts of very creative headware, from pots to empty waterbottles put together under a scarf..

February 4, 2011 at 10:30 pm |
  18. Rose from Muscoy, Calif

President Obama needs to stop giving money to Mubarak, until he leaves. Then see what kind of new leader, Egypt end up with.

February 4, 2011 at 10:30 pm |
  19. Karyn, Indiana

@Starr: Yes, on an earlier broadcast they referred to Mubarak as a Pharaoh. I'm worried about what will happen when he steps down?! The unknown is very scary

February 4, 2011 at 10:30 pm |
  20. Janis

Hello everyone. Hello Anderson and crew – thank god you are all OK and thanks for continuing this important reporting.

I have the sense things are changing. Attitude of the military, the quiet from the government. Release of journalism. I think it's a battle of wills now. Whoever has the patience to outlast the other. Mubarak is coming across as not being in his right mind regardless of how patriotic he believes he is. The world is still watching.

February 4, 2011 at 10:30 pm |
  21. Sue from Syracuse

The pictures of namaaz were incredibly amazing. Never seen anything like it even in picture of hajj.

February 4, 2011 at 10:30 pm |
  22. Paula, Colorado

It seems it would be better for Pres. Mubarak to speed up the transition process in the most reasonable and fair way he can.

February 4, 2011 at 10:30 pm |
  23. Steve

@Emily

Since the 1950s the egyptian military banned religious groups from having political power. They wouldnt be affiliated with the muslim brotherhood. Opportunist Elbaradie, biding his time comfy away from the chaos and looking to replace Mubarak, on the other hand has been pushing to help the muslim brotherhood gain a political foothold in egypt.

February 4, 2011 at 10:29 pm |
  24. Emily

@Nicole The Netherlands,
    That's true! The Muslim Brotherhood was not allowed to form a political party under Mubarak, however, they started there in Egypt in 1928; so they do have a history in the country. (It's not really 'new'). Seeing the two groups that formed from them in the past couple of decades, it could be a catastrophe! Of course, I don't want this; it would be good to see a "Leader" from them.

February 4, 2011 at 10:29 pm |
  25. Starr, formerly known as vincent

@Karyn – i don't want to tell you what to do.
    I just know that when i had my problem i called his office several times a day until i got some action. I called the district office and the WA DC office.

Thank God for the Red Cross, they are often very helpful-keeping my fingers crossed that they will come through for you both.

My thoughts and prayers are still with you.

February 4, 2011 at 10:29 pm |
  26. lisal -canada

where did the video of the white van originate? because if the us can claim that the vehicle was stolen and then driven like that (there is likely no proof) then one could comparably argue that the videos of the green van and firetruck which mowed down people as well was stolen with no idea who was driving (even if it was known)

February 4, 2011 at 10:28 pm |
  27. Rose from Muscoy, Calif

I really don't think Mubarak will be leaving Eygpt any time so. Because he would of left a long time ago.
    The Eygptian people might just have to deal with him until Sept. Or they might just have to remove Mubarak themselves. Come on he has a good thing going with the U.S.A. Getting money, which he has gotten rich from for 30 years. Please if you believe that some of that money went to the people, why are they so poor and unhappy!

February 4, 2011 at 10:27 pm |
  28. Jody

My 15 yr old has been glued to CNN watching history unfold hour by hour. This has made him really appreciate the changes that can come from a younger generation's determination, courage and unity. The Egypt of tomorrow may not be everything America would choose for it to be but if the Egyptian people have a true voice it will be a victory. We say we believe in freedom and Democracy. For me this is a time to have faith in the democracy we've taken for granted.

February 4, 2011 at 10:27 pm |
  29. Sue from Syracuse

It was peaceful today because it is Friday, the day of prayer.

February 4, 2011 at 10:27 pm |
  30. Sue from Syracuse

For sure, this uprise is not going to end until Mubarak leaves.

February 4, 2011 at 10:26 pm |
  31. Sue from Syracuse

Anderson, Hope you and the entire team is in good health.
    Very concerned for safety and public health of those in the Tahiri square.

February 4, 2011 at 10:26 pm |
  32. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Nine Simone
    Is it true that the so-called Mubarak supporters may actually be members of the police force?

Yes, That's true, Nine.

February 4, 2011 at 10:26 pm |
  33. Samya

Down with Mubarak, and his thugs. Egypt will prevail.

As for you anderson, and the crew. Thanks

February 4, 2011 at 10:25 pm |
  34. Starr, formerly known as vincent

I hope John King's sources are right about the Egyptian Army's thinking.
    On the other hand, I am concerned about Ben W.'s assessment on the Egyptian Gov. is just "waiting" the protestors out.
    With all that has happened, personally, i don't trust anyone, But the protestors.

I think Mubarak thinks he is a Pharoh (sp?).

February 4, 2011 at 10:24 pm |
  35. Emily

@lilly
    "When do they sleep? They are up at the crack of dawn there."
    I don't know when they sleep...it seems like quite the environment now. If I were there, I think that I'd be running on adrenaline. It sure would catch up to me, however. (esp when I returned and back to a different time zone).

February 4, 2011 at 10:23 pm |
  36. Nicole The Netherlands

@ Emily and everyone, remember the Muslim Brotherhood alway was a way from Mubarak to stay in power! ( "either them or me")
    As I understand they were not allowed to form a party under Mubarak.
    I wish we would hear something -from- them, until then I will not speculate on their intentions. I have only heard "spin" and no facts.
    The military is in power and has always had a lot of power (and a lot of U.S "subsidy")
    This revolution has been started by the youth!
    There have been earlier protests last years.

February 4, 2011 at 10:23 pm |
  37. Eric Chavous

America needs to let Egypt handle this crisis on their own. The rate of 11 deaths per nearly a thousand injuries is great! that is peaceful too me considering the magnitude of their revolt. Our past crisis chart far more deaths.

February 4, 2011 at 10:23 pm |
  38. Lori

Anderson certainly has an interesting job.

February 4, 2011 at 10:23 pm |
  39. Nine Simone

February 4, 2011 at 10:23 pm |
  40. Lori

Mubarak will have to leave soon. These people will not give up.

February 4, 2011 at 10:22 pm |
  41. Melissa Dila

Good evening everyone. I'm watching the transmission right now and I'm absolutely moved by being able to see such a great progression. Anderson Cooper I'm proud of you!

February 4, 2011 at 10:22 pm |
  42. marie

stay safe Anderson. we are all very proud of you.God speed home.

February 4, 2011 at 10:21 pm |
  43. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

We don't know that the Army wouldn't have attacked if ordered to do so.

February 4, 2011 at 10:20 pm |
  44. Diane

These images do not look the same, Anderson. They each show different aspects of the beauty that can be inherent in humanity. These are all beautiful freedom fighters. If Ahmed shows up tonight, know that we continue to stand with you in your battle and may you have extra guardian angels keeping watch over you again. Do not let your guards down. Stay alert. Do not trust them.

February 4, 2011 at 10:20 pm |
  45. Josie in Fla, Usa

Anderson and news crew...stay safe!

I heard that there have been threats against the foreign news reporters. Has this settled down now?

February 4, 2011 at 10:20 pm |
  46. lilly

I wonder if Anderson and his colleagues have gotten any rest since they arrived. When do they sleep? They are up at the crack of dawn there.

February 4, 2011 at 10:20 pm |
  47. Sherif

A bit of humour. One of the funniest pictures to emerge from Tahrir Square is that of a young man carrying a sign in Arabic saying to Mubarak: Won't you leave already, my arm is hurting from carrying the sign".

February 4, 2011 at 10:19 pm |
  48. Ehab Daoud

Dear Anderson,
    As an Egyptian living in the states,I would like to thank you for your courage, and sorry for the bad events that happened to you and your crew. I hope by now you have seen the real kind Egyptian people. May God bless Egypt and save her.
    Shokran

February 4, 2011 at 10:19 pm |
  49. Karyn, Indiana

@Starr: True about the rumors!... No, my rep. hasn't contacted me back. Red Cross did yesterday, but nothing back to me 2day.

February 4, 2011 at 10:19 pm |
  50. Sherif

I think we should stop talking about withholding the US aid. If you divide the $1.5B Egypt receives by the 80M people, this translates into less than $20/citizen each year. Nothing of great significance. In fact cutting off this aid will hurt US companies the most, whose goods and products are sold to Egypt and paid for through the aid money.

February 4, 2011 at 10:18 pm |