February 3rd, 2011

Evening Buzz: Journalists Targeted in Cairo

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2011/WORLD/africa/02/03/egypt.protests/c1main.tahrir.protesters.afp.gi.jpg caption="Protesters throw rocks in central Cairo Thursday." width=300 height=169]

Maureen Miller
AC360° Writer

Anti-Mubarak demonstrators are calling for another massive protest Friday, saying it will be the "Day of Departure" for the Egyptian President. They're demanding that the 82-year-old leader step down.

Today journalists in Cairo were targeted, beaten and in some cases arrested by security forces and police. Several news organizations, including The Washington Post, Al Jazerra, The New York Times and CNN, reported members of their staff being harassed.

Anderson tweeted earlier today: "Situation on ground in Egypt very tense. Vehicle I was in attacked. My window smashed. All OK." He'll talk about what he faced tonight on the program.

Today Secretary of State Hillary Clinton condemned the attacks against journalists.

"This is a violation of international norms that guarantee freedom of the press and it is unacceptable under any circumstances," said Clinton.

"We also condemn in strongest terms attacks on peaceful demonstrators, human rights activists, foreigners, and diplomats. Freedom of assembly, freedom of expression, and freedom of the press are pillars of an open and inclusive society," added Clinton.

As Clinton indicated, human rights groups are also coming under attack in Egypt. Oxfam International, Human Rights Watch and Amnesty International are calling for the release of their staffers who've been detained at an undisclosed location in Cairo.

Egypt's Vice President Omar Suleiman, who was just appointed over the weekend, had a few choice words for the media when he spoke on TV today.

"I actually blame certain friendly nations who have television channels, they’re not friendly at all, who have intensified the youth against the nation and the state."

Suleiman urged the anti-Mubarak protesters to give up their cause.

"I'm calling on the youth, continue your love of Egypt, go back to your homes."

Meanwhile, Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak rejected claims his government fueled yesterday's violence. Instead, he blamed the Muslim Brotherhood and he said said he would step down immediately if he could, but can't because it could put the country into chaos, ABC News reported.

"I was very unhappy about yesterday. I do not want to see Egyptians fighting each other," Mubarak told ABC's Christiane Amanpour.

As for tomorrow's planned protest, the demonstrators say they'll try to march to the presidential palace. CNN's John King will give us a lay of the land tonight and show you on the magic wall where the crowds could fill the streets tomorrow and where they are already camping out.

Our live coverage from Cairo begins at 10 p.m. ET tonight on CNN. See you then.

Filed under: Maureen Miller • The Buzz
  1. Jim Church

Shame on the Egyptian Army!

How can they be perceived as anything but pro Mubarak?

And why should the U.S. bankroll them?

JC

February 4, 2011 at 2:00 am |
  2. Rona Crivea

I am really disturbed by how cruel of a dictator Mubarack. Snuffing the life out of his own people, and trying to muffle the voice of the Journalists. Mubarak has committed crimes against humanity. What's even worse is, Obama sits back ready to watch the Superbowl while his people in Egypt suffer being hit on the head, and shoved around.He should be doing more than giving lip service. Well, we'll wait until the next election to see who sits back doing nothing. I am tired of Obama preaching about how he wants human rights for all.........then in the next breath, cuts a 3 billion dollar cheque of US money to give to the cruelist dictator of all time! Obama please wake up from your fantasy world, and help those people today. America is the land of freedom, and must defend others trying to find freedom. Anderson Cooper we pray for your safety, and the for all the anti-Mubarak protesters. God Bless!

February 4, 2011 at 1:57 am |
  3. Chris

I do feel that we should let them fight their own battles. I really don't see this getting better, only worse. Our most important concern in The east is to continue bring our troops home from Iraq as well as continuing to protect and give our aide to Israel. We have to protect Israel and protect our own country. Egypt is a battle in itself by itself. Pull their U.S. funding and reposes their military equipment in which we have provided for them.

February 4, 2011 at 1:33 am |
  4. maggie

Joe, you are so right! so call your senators and demand they halt funding until elections are held in Egypt.

February 4, 2011 at 1:28 am |
  5. Lisa DeRenard

It scares me when Anderson Cooper says he is scared and looking around like someone might be snitching out his location. CNN, you ought to bring Anderson and crew home. Apparently no media is welcome there, too dangerous. Get home safe.

February 4, 2011 at 1:24 am |
  6. adnane

god bless you and your team

thanks for the good work

be safe guys.

February 4, 2011 at 1:07 am |
  7. Bob Gerber

Secretary of State Clinton's remarks were dead on. It appears that neither "side" is preserving basic human rights by fomenting violence in advance of their cause. To blame journalists for purportedly fanning the flames and thereby justifying violence toward them is despicable. We need to intervene as a multi-national force and stop the violence now so that peaceful democratic change can occur.

February 4, 2011 at 12:19 am |
  8. Felix Chow

I would like to condemn these attacks on jouranlists as well. Journalists are just trying to do their job in keeping up with tne latest updates and keeping us, the viewers, informed of these updates. After the 1 or 2-day clash against the police, Anti-Mubarak protestors had been protesting peacefully and calling for President Mubarak to step down, which quite possibly will not happen from what he's been saying. I strongly do not support this act of censorship. I believe this whole thing was premeditated, if not by either Hosni Mubarak himself or the newlya-appointed Vice President Soleiman, by a government official or a section of the government, just as I believe that the violence that sparked was ordered by President Mubarak himself. And Anderson Cooper, I wish you and your news crew good luck in reporting in the days ahead. Try to safe.

February 4, 2011 at 12:03 am |
  9. The Force

The transition teams need to be assembled right now in order to remove the excuse for Mubarak related to his somewhat legitimate fear of chaos in a non structured void if he suddenly departed. Who among the masses are really able to accomplish this prerequisite? Avoid chaos and fighting for power by preparing for the new democratic structure sought by the Egyptian population. The primary strategy now should be to take away Mubarak's excuse and make a way to transition the nation.

February 4, 2011 at 12:00 am |
  10. Jolene

Enough is enough!
    How long & how many people have to be hurt & Killed before we (our country) does something?
    Are we not giving money to the Army?
    Can we not refuse to pay them (Army) if they do not step in & help the innocent people who are being killed & wounded by these government terrorist.
    My husband & I were able to see Egypt in December & meet such wonderful,sweet people.
    WE NEED TO HELP THEM!

February 3, 2011 at 11:52 pm |
  11. john

greetings to all ac360 team members.

I Admire you and your teams bravery and diligents in reporting what is happening in Cairo. My prayers go out to you. The extremely lamentable news of the reporters being targeted makes me think something bad is about to happen. I hope we dont see another Tiananmen square.

God Bless and be safe.

February 3, 2011 at 11:48 pm |
  12. Rosa Irani

I'm Iranian. What I understand of the current situation in Egypt is exactly what I remember of the situation in Iran 30 years ago when Shah left. I wish Mubarak could stay and try to please the people, instead of letting the Brotherhood take over! If they take over the country, the Egyptian people are stuck!!

February 3, 2011 at 11:48 pm |
  13. Anne

Anderson and other journalists, please be safe. Head out of there as soon as you can. You give us great reporting. We don't need you to risk your lives.
    Take Care

February 3, 2011 at 11:41 pm |
  14. Jovita

We are not simpletons~we know why Mubarak does not want impartial coverage during this unrest~he does not want the rest of the world to know he has his thugs on the streets running over innocent peaceful protesters!!!

February 3, 2011 at 11:26 pm |
  15. Maya

@Karen The vast majority of Egypt's people want foreign journalists to stay and Witness what is happening.
    Their government is driving over, shooting at, beating up, stabbing, and killing them, taking away the freedom of it's own people. If that happened to my family I would want someone to stay around see it, so that the truth cannot be hidden later.
    It is the criminals who do not want their crimes witnessed, who are attacking all foreigners!

February 3, 2011 at 11:21 pm |
  16. ToughPower

Everything Mubarak is doing is nothing he has not been doing since 1981. Mubarak was our ally, what succeeds him may not be conducive to, their border- buddy, Israel. What pirates lurk awaiting a 'free' Suez Canal? Mubarak was the purse keepers for those key elements. With troops still on the battlefield we will lose too. Be careful what you ask for, you just may get it.

February 3, 2011 at 11:13 pm |
  17. Maya

Mubarak (the Problem), is trying to present himself as the only Solution.

February 3, 2011 at 11:12 pm |
  18. Sarah Lever

Keep safe and come home soon.

February 3, 2011 at 11:10 pm |
  19. alvin

Anderson you are out of your mind. I admire your courage and respect your reporting. This is definately the begining to something big. You of all the people, because of your knowledge, can obviously see how big this is. I have researched the area and can sympathize with their cause as I can see many of the same symptoms that caused "this" unrest, right here at home. I admire these patriots of Egypt and envy them as well. I believe the whole world should take a good look at exactly what is going on and prepare in their own way to break the code of silence we have been living under for years and years. The future has never, in my life time, looked so bleek for this nation and the world. We can settle our differences in many ways, but rest assured they must be settled, soon. Poor is not just poor anymore, they are destitute. The "rich" have put a strangle hold on all that live on this planet and unfortunately for them the middle class, poor and destitute, out number them by millions. Good luck sir, and gods speed.

February 3, 2011 at 11:05 pm |
  20. Bob

I would like to see what happens on friday on liberation square. If I was in Cairo, I would probably try to sneak in a few simple cameras to the protestors and let them film what happens there on friday... Professor Ajami is right, this is a fight for Egypt...

February 3, 2011 at 11:01 pm |
  21. Doreen

Dear Anderson and crew,

You are doing something that the rest of us cannot do at this time, but don't forget that you all are much more important than any cause...unless it involves your family. Please come home alive and healthy.

February 3, 2011 at 10:59 pm |
  22. Ken in Canada

I remember the china square so you guys and gals stay safe '

February 3, 2011 at 10:57 pm |
  23. leonora

Anderson,CNN crew and all journalist, please be careful. We are all praying for all your safety.

February 3, 2011 at 10:45 pm |
  24. Doreen

You are all so brave!!

I will pray for you all.

Love,

Doreen

February 3, 2011 at 10:43 pm |
  25. ToughPower

Strangely, to me Egypt and her people appear to be in the exact state as the day Sadat was slain. When Mubarak succeeded him as he did. In my conscience I thought that was the time, I was 19 years old.

February 3, 2011 at 10:40 pm |
  26. Isaiah

anderson is pretty much a beast for surviving, that's why he's my favorite, because he's hardcore

February 3, 2011 at 10:36 pm |
  27. Arlene

We are very concerned for Anderson's safety!
    will he have to leave? Is everything OK? If they have to leave?
    Please Stay Safe, and Stay out of Harms Way!
    Have never seen anything like this, not good!
    As we watch in our safe homes...what can we do?
    Such a Mess...don't understand How a government could let this happen to the people?
    How do they think ANY one will win anything?

February 3, 2011 at 10:30 pm |
  28. ToughPower

I think democracy will prevail in Egypt! The cat is already out of the bag; however, the anti-Mubarak demonstrators are not organized enough; alone. For this coup to succeed -yes, this would be such- the insurgents need a true head, Egypt needs a true head not a bunch of 'yahooligans' seizing power using "America On-Line!"

February 3, 2011 at 10:27 pm |
  29. marks

This is over as soon as elBaradei organizes the opposition. Call Mubarak's bluff, and offer a solution to "chaos".

February 3, 2011 at 10:26 pm |
  30. Carrie

Where is the UN when we need them the most? It is not the United States' job to police the world. I agree the people of Egypt need help, deserve help; however, the UN Peace Keepers would serve the people in a less intrusive manner. Plus extend the resources that will be required to successfully help the people have their freedom.

Please be safe AC Crew and others helping spread the truth. My prayers are with you all.

February 3, 2011 at 10:16 pm |
  31. Christy

As an Egyptian, I am sincerely sorry for what they did to you. However, I'd like to say that most pro-Mubarak supporters aren't like that. Many are peaceful, and they are only pro-Mubarak because we feel like the concessions that Mubarak has made are enough. We don't want to lose our country to extremists, and Egypt would be vulnerable to that without leadership at this time.

February 3, 2011 at 10:14 pm |
  32. Rick Milasich

All these years of us supporting the continuation of de-facto dictators, assuring the unequal distribution of wealth across the world...the uneven application of freedoms. All too often when we do become concerned, the first thoughts are of the potential loss of an iffy ally and the loss of influence in a region. At what cost?

This will end in a bit, but only for a while. Mubarek will suppress these people and then the cooker will explode once again, only the next time it will be worse and the stage will be set for the radical Muslim groups to step in.

February 3, 2011 at 10:12 pm |
  33. dprosenthal

We can certainly see that the people of Egypt are well on their way to establishing a free, open , and democratic society for themselves using their usual methods of violence and repression. Good luck with that!

February 3, 2011 at 9:56 pm |
  34. doug

stay safe anderson!

February 3, 2011 at 9:52 pm |
  35. Concerned Viewer

Thanks for your reporting Anderson. I really appreciate all that you do – bringing us the news from the front lines. And I know it is quite dangerous out there. Please stay safe, and stay out of harm's way!

February 3, 2011 at 9:52 pm |
  36. Julie

I think it's just a wee bit stupid to parade through a bunch of angry protesters who can clearly recognize you're not from their country. Kind of like taking a wad of money out of your wallet on a subway at 3 a.m. – it's just asking for trouble. You got lucky this time. Borrow that burqa you bought for your mom and walk around in that.

February 3, 2011 at 9:41 pm |
  37. Annie Kate

Beating the journalists and confiscating their equipment and then blaming the media for the rioting is certainly a heavy handed way to shut down media coverage. It makes one wonder what is going to happen that the Egyptian government does not want the West to see. I hope all the human rights activists and the press can stay safe and unhurt and that things do not deteriorate to the point that they cannot get out of the country should they need to.

Looking forward to the broadcast tonight and hearing what Anderson and his crew have to say on the day's activities.

February 3, 2011 at 9:32 pm |
  38. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

Praying for Anderson and crew. come back safely!

February 3, 2011 at 9:27 pm |
  39. MARCOS RICARDO

I just saw your breaking on piercsmorgan tonight and its a shame that the people of egipt must stand alone with all world watching whats happening,waiting for developements..THE WORLD MUST ACT,how many more days of suffer for that brave people?

February 3, 2011 at 9:26 pm |
  40. Susan B

Let all decent people in the world boycott Egypt tourism even after stabilization if Mubarak or a repressive government stays in power.

February 3, 2011 at 9:25 pm |
  41. cherryrn

Get that thug out of power in that country who has our reporters attacked. I want him held personally responsible for their safety . This is barbarism and unacceptable and horrifying to me. I want our country to not support Egypt with money if Mubarak stays in power. God protect our reporters and the peaceful protesters .

February 3, 2011 at 9:21 pm |
  42. Sara

Every dog the US groom comes back and bites from Saddam to Ben Ladden and now Mubarak. All what the US has to do is freeze his families' assets and money world wide and he'll kneel immediately.
    The US is very capable but obviously they have hidden agenda. We have to wait for wiki leaks to get the genuine information. Until then too bad for the people...
    Thank you CNN for bringing the truth to viewers around the world.

February 3, 2011 at 9:18 pm |
  43. Susan B

Mubarak and his thug government has shown their true colors. Mubarak is willing to murder his citizens and destroy his country in order to continue his control for a few more months. He could have left with dignity. Now is legacy will be of a brutal, criminal despot whose pride is greater than love of his country.

We admire the courage of the reform protesters and keep them in our prayers.

February 3, 2011 at 9:17 pm |
  44. Joe

If Hilary Clinton tells Mubarak that all US funding has ended, you will see how fast this chaos will end

February 3, 2011 at 9:15 pm |
  45. Linda Gallagher

As a journalist, I know what is required to get a story, and a journalist's obligation to get that story. But when you are being made a target, that changes. I do not want to see AC made a victim of this crisis-get him out of there, whether he wants to get out or not.

February 3, 2011 at 9:15 pm |
  46. Cynthia Moore

My name is Cynthia Moore. I met Anderson Cooper in San Jose, CA late 1999/early 2000, before he started working at CNN. He is one of the nicest persons I have ever met. I am very concerned for his safety-very anxious for an update. C. Moore

February 3, 2011 at 9:08 pm |
  47. Rosamaria Barnes

I watched the news last night and saw how Anderson Cooper's crew was hit by the mob. are they ok? i understand how dedicated he and his crew are, and how professional they may be, but they need to keep in my that it will hurt more to find out that one of our most trusted journalist got injured overseas.

Good Luck Anderson, come back home safe you and your crew.

February 3, 2011 at 9:04 pm |
  48. Karen

this is crazy. its so simple. if my neighbor says don't walk in my yard. then you say ok and don't. Why are we over there and have been tolded to leave. but we are still over there and having to hide out. for what????????????? just get out of there and come home. Why is that so hard to understand. If my USA was in that way. i would not want some other country to come here. the people over there are the ones that we have in our prisons. they are the bad people not the ones you can reason with. i love my USA but sometimes we get in the way. love to you all

February 3, 2011 at 9:02 pm |
  49. Joe

This is really sad, the USA is sitting back and allowing all these journalists and human rights groups to be hurt and arrested!!!

February 3, 2011 at 9:02 pm |
  50. Darlene Grossman

Some thing really needs to happen immediately we can not keep sitting back and watch this bloody mess and see your journalist be beaten because they are trying to do their jobs.

February 3, 2011 at 8:45 pm |