February 3rd, 2011

Dangerous for Journalists in Egypt: Join the Live Chat

Journalists attempting to cover the uprising in Egypt came under attack in Cairo today, including Anderson. He'll have the latest developments. Plus, we'll have tonight's other headlines from around the world.

Want more details on what covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Sue R. Canton MI.

With the internet being turned back on for a short while,, I'm sure it's being used by the Mubarak regime to cause even more confusion among the people.

February 3, 2011 at 10:37 pm |
  2. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Ahmed,
    Keep safe for you and your family..... My heart goes out to you!

February 3, 2011 at 10:36 pm |
  3. Deb

I just hope a credible broker can be found to step in to resolve this so Mubarak can leave but not leave a power vacuum.

February 3, 2011 at 10:36 pm |
  4. Rose from Muscoy, Calif

Good for the Egyptian journalist Shahira Amin. She was told, what to say! Not good. Does that tell you something about the lies the government want to say to the world.

February 3, 2011 at 10:36 pm |
  5. Carolann in Texas

What's going on in Alexandria and other cities outside of Cairo?

February 3, 2011 at 10:36 pm |
  6. Emily

I heard about Shahira Amin today!
    She is a role model for all women. I hope that she is going to be safe.

February 3, 2011 at 10:36 pm |
  7. Maggi

I am watching CNN 360 live and I am wondering if anyone has any idea who is in control in Egypt right now or is this country in total chaos?

February 3, 2011 at 10:36 pm |
  8. sarah

Anderson,

Come home! You are doing an amazing job reporting and I know it is your love and calling. My instincts tell me you need to get out of there.

Love to you all

February 3, 2011 at 10:35 pm |
  9. Carolann in Texas

What's going on with our state dept workers still at the Embassy? Are they safe and OK?

I have a bad feeling about tomorrow now that the govt has managed to put the journalists into hiding.

February 3, 2011 at 10:34 pm |
  10. Brian Quigley

I am worried what China thinks in all of this.

February 3, 2011 at 10:34 pm |
  11. Emily

@Ahmed,
    "Going to Tahrir tomorrow,"
    You made it to Egypt?
    I hope that you are safe in Tahrir Square tomorrow.

February 3, 2011 at 10:34 pm |
  12. Nicole The Netherlands

@Emily, I am afraid also..
    And afraid for all the effects on the exsisting poverty and instability for the people in Egypt and in the region.

Food and oil prices world wide are already rising already. Not good for anyone

February 3, 2011 at 10:34 pm |
  13. Michael

I would be interested to know what has happened to Russian and Chinese reporters in Egypt.

Their governments tend to take a more direct approach in responding to such behavior.

February 3, 2011 at 10:34 pm |
  14. Ysan

@ Conrad Baugh – absolutely agree with your comment "It's politically difficult, let alone inappropriate, for the US or any other country to do much more that protest what's going on"

But, aren't we in a situation that demands us to act... i don't think this is a civil matter it is a global one

– what do you think???

February 3, 2011 at 10:33 pm |
  15. Conrad Baugh

@Mike, nee Syracuse: "The claims that the pro-Mubarak demonstrators are government agents is speculation, not proven fact."

It's more than just speculation. Several reports from several sources on the ground have confirmed the claim.

February 3, 2011 at 10:33 pm |
  16. Felix Marshall

Mr. Cooper,

If, or when, you get this – just gotta' say you are really inspiring out there on the front right now. To me, your an unarmed, non-military American Hero out there(along with every reporter). Also want to add how professional you were to not lose your cool in front of dissenting circumstances... Keep bringing it to us live my brother, we need, appreciate, and love your for it. God speed Anderson!

February 3, 2011 at 10:33 pm |
  17. Paula, Colorado

Pres. Mubarak needs to be more involved with resolving the situation peacefully.

February 3, 2011 at 10:33 pm |
  18. cicly

anderson, you and everyone with you better get back here safe!

February 3, 2011 at 10:33 pm |
  19. Kimberly in Sac

Very wise to get all of the leaders in the area involved. I'm sure they're all thinking my country is next. They are probably willing to show some signs of solidarity and willingness to appease the people to avoid further unrest in their countries.

February 3, 2011 at 10:32 pm |
  20. Angela Savage Austin

Mubarak...Let Your People Go!!!!

February 3, 2011 at 10:32 pm |
  21. Deb

Conrad Baugh makes a good point. The US is in an impossible position right now. If the US pushes hard they are seen as interfering in the region. If they stand back, they are seen as weak and not walking the talk.

February 3, 2011 at 10:32 pm |
  22. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

The Army generals were all appointed by Mubarak. They have profited by his rule. They won't turn on him now.

February 3, 2011 at 10:32 pm |
  23. Derek

Allow Eygpt to work out their problems. USA work out Yours. Here again I see america and its power ignite this crisis...create chaos in order to bring about peace. The point I wish to make here remains, this is headed toward civil war. Peace, Oil, the suez canal and israel is all at stake.

February 3, 2011 at 10:32 pm |
  24. Jan in Florida

Praying for all journalist in Egypt. I guess "Freedom of the Press" only occurs in free countries.

February 3, 2011 at 10:31 pm |
  25. Merl, Ohio

@Ahmed, I'm ashamed from time to time of our unknown doings that the American government perfoms without the american people knowing. Stay safe and proud. We pray for the freedom of your country.

February 3, 2011 at 10:31 pm |
  26. Abbey Husseini, Richmond VA

What a wonderful team Anderson Cooper and your team Hala, Ivan and the rest of your crew you are true Heros in the eyes of the world giving true unbiased news reports for all People around the world. Please stay safe and God bless. We appreciate what u r doing.

February 3, 2011 at 10:31 pm |
  27. Karen

Hello, Anderson, et al- Your continuing reports from Cairo are amazing! I am in awe of your ability to find a way to get the news out, no matter what. Please know that our hearts, minds and prayers are with you. did Ben's family get out OK?

February 3, 2011 at 10:31 pm |
  28. Ahmet

Are they getting support from local journalists ? I wonder what the situation/treatment of El Cezire (sp?) and other local journalists is ? Are they being intimidated too or is it only foreigners ?

February 3, 2011 at 10:31 pm |
  29. cicly

all those innocent people. 30 years of brutality. a whole generation. and then, such a peaceful week of demonstrations! and now? god help them...

February 3, 2011 at 10:31 pm |
  30. Nancy in Oregon

Hi, Kimberly in Sac! Truthfully, I suspect we've had lots of payback already for our investment there. Again, probably most of it below the radar via all sorts of compliances and cooperations. I'm not altogether sure than one more screaming voice is needed to calm things down right now...but that may just be my personal approach to crises, coming through!

February 3, 2011 at 10:31 pm |
  31. Rose from Muscoy, Calif

Where is the family of President Mubarak? Did they leave Egypt?

February 3, 2011 at 10:31 pm |
  32. Ahmed

I've been in Tahrir for days, stayed there all night and no, there is no foreign intervention like what this guy Amr says, its what the regime is saying to justify his murderes, only very bright energitic young egyptians who look for a better future for this country, what ruler stays for 30 years and then wanted his son to rule, NOO, these young people going to Tahrir is the future of the country and this Mubarak murderer shouldn't be killing them

February 3, 2011 at 10:30 pm |
  33. Nasser

Anderson, be safe.

February 3, 2011 at 10:30 pm |
  34. Janet

Anderson and CNN crew: as a Coptic Christian Egyptian American who escaped Egypt as a child, and on behalf of all Egyptian Americans I would like to sincerely apologize to you and your crew for what has happened to you in Egypt. It sickens me to see what the pro-Mubarak brainwashed people (thugs instigated by the regime) are doing to western journalists. And please know that they DO NOT represent the Egyptian people who are friendly, peaceful, and just want their basic human rights as you have seen first hand during the protests.

Once again, please accept our apologies on behalf of the Egyptian people. Please be safe and God Bless!

February 3, 2011 at 10:29 pm |
  35. K. Kassouf

Could satellites be used to cover Egypt the way they were used in Sudan?

February 3, 2011 at 10:29 pm |
  36. paul

@Ahmed - good luck in Tahrir.

February 3, 2011 at 10:29 pm |
  37. Karyn, Indiana

@Ahmed... u made it into Cairo? I talked to u b4 u left! Stay safe

February 3, 2011 at 10:29 pm |
  38. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Nancy in Oregon ET

I wonder what the 'average Egyptian' is feeling right now? It must be very scary, far beyond the Cairo environs.

Nancy,
    I am sure of that they are so furious right now due economy or else. They want Mubarak out of his office.... might have oil or gas whatever. I agree.

February 3, 2011 at 10:29 pm |
  39. Brian Quigley

again. i am listening to your speaker and it frustrates me that the taxpayers money has gone to fund Egypt in something "they" knew was corrupt. Afghanistan! there needs to be new politics.

February 3, 2011 at 10:29 pm |
  40. lilly

We know all know President Mubarak is behind this, Mubarak is just another dictator that hides behinds a military blockade. I fear for the safety of Anderson and his colleagues, if the military find them.

February 3, 2011 at 10:28 pm |
  41. Jacob

With that being said, the last thing we need is to flex our muscles in Egypt and agitate an already tense situation throughout the Middle East. Regardless of where we rank among the nations of the world, we musn't forget that we are exactlly that, a part of this world. As Americans, we cannot expect to fix the world's problems. Showing support and condemning government violence should not translate into military mobilization by the U.S.

February 3, 2011 at 10:28 pm |
  42. eugenia

i fear for the hours to come. the live feed being cut off in order for it to be hidden what is happening. i fear for them if they manage to reach the palace, with both sides fighting for their lives and the protection of their families. so many millions of people scared. how will they be able to endure it?

February 3, 2011 at 10:28 pm |
  43. Sue R. Canton MI.

I think the media is doing a great job in trying to be fair in reporting whats happening in Egypt. There just seems to be so much confusion and chaos right now and Mubarak is trying to shut the world out ,,and God only knows what will happen if he succeeds.

February 3, 2011 at 10:28 pm |
  44. Starr, formerly known as vincent

@JoAnn -Hi! Clearly Mubarek has been behind All of the violence we have seen after an impressive 8 days of peaceful demonstrations.

I agree with the Professor. It is a fight for Egypt! But more than that,it is a fight due to the Ego of Mubarek who continues to Refuse to leave, as requested, by his people and many democratic gov.'s around the world.
    And, he is responding to the public "nudging" by the US and others.

I don't believe that Mubarek will leave. He is 82 and totally invested (ego-wise) in his reputation and power!!

February 3, 2011 at 10:28 pm |
  45. Nancy in Oregon

I hope so too, Jo Ann. It's the 'everyday people' I think about most of all.

February 3, 2011 at 10:28 pm |
  46. Emily

@Nicole The Netherlands
    I think that things may be much, much worst than
    Tiennaman Beijing, once all camera's have been removed.

February 3, 2011 at 10:28 pm |
  47. Rose from Muscoy, Calif

Please, I think that Mubarak might have made a deal with the army. If Mrbarak can't control the Army and the police who really have control of this government?

February 3, 2011 at 10:28 pm |
  48. Carole Valpone

Thank you for all your brave reporting and stay safe, Anderson.

February 3, 2011 at 10:28 pm |
  49. Brent

Anderson, I am so happy that you are OK. Be safe over there!

February 3, 2011 at 10:28 pm |
  50. Jo Ann, Ohio

Professor Ajami is always a great guest. He seems to understand what Mubarak is about and what the US should do.

February 3, 2011 at 10:28 pm |