February 3rd, 2011

Dangerous for Journalists in Egypt: Join the Live Chat

Journalists attempting to cover the uprising in Egypt came under attack in Cairo today, including Anderson. He'll have the latest developments. Plus, we'll have tonight's other headlines from around the world.

Want more details on what covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. paula

I was so happy yesterday to hear from my son who lives in Heliopolis that he and his Egyptian family are okay. He received a Fedex package that I sent him making me believe that things weren't so bad until I saw what was going on in Tahir Square. I haven't heard from my son again even though I asked him to e-mail me everyday so I know he is okay. His uncles are both retired officers from the Egyptian Army and I asked my son what their opinions were. I don't expect any anti Mobarak statements if they had any for fear of being screened by the Mobarak Government.

February 3, 2011 at 10:27 pm |
  2. Karyn, Indiana

I spoke with my Egyptian husband 2 hrs ago, in Cairo. Tensions and extreme worries are high about what Friday will bring! God help them! Stay safe AC and crew*

February 3, 2011 at 10:27 pm |
  3. Merl, Ohio

Anderson, Does anyone hear gunfire lately?

February 3, 2011 at 10:27 pm |
  4. CAROLYNJ

wow anderson, and staff the people in freedom square has came to far
    to turn back... they are cut off like the 300..
    those people the riot squad is there to clear and kill.

February 3, 2011 at 10:27 pm |
  5. Diane

Today Suleimon said "execution" a lot of times suring an interview today. Supposedly said in other contexts but he said it way too many times to mean anything other than what they plan to do tonight. Riot police or execution squad. Tianamen Square. Horrible. How can we just sit by and let this happen....

February 3, 2011 at 10:27 pm |
  6. Scott Tipton

just got off phone with friend in Egypt... he is walking with a weapon to protect his house... this is not the Egypt I know

February 3, 2011 at 10:27 pm |
  7. christina morrell

Mr Cooper.

I want you to know that I have become a huge fan of yours ever Sence Katrina. And I do watch you almost every night. I just want to say Please Please be safe and our prayers are out to you and all the Jounalists that are traped in Egypt. Please return home back to America safe. God Bless you for the tireless work that you do.

February 3, 2011 at 10:27 pm |
  8. Stefano Donati

hello, but... what's happening outside of Cairo? In the other cities of Egypt? I don't see any report... great job Anderson thanks.

February 3, 2011 at 10:27 pm |
  9. Conrad Baugh

Folks, be realistic. It's politically difficult, let alone inappropriate, for the US or any other country to do much more that protest what's going on. The US is already doing much more than it should at this point. Any greater action will be seen as meddling and interfering with events that should be left to the Egyptian people and their leaders to shape and direct.

February 3, 2011 at 10:27 pm |
  10. Janis

I don't understand what Mubarak is thinking with all the "covert" violent solutions he is coming up with. If everyone did stop at this point in time and went home – what would he be left with? Total distrust from his people and the rest of the world. Also, that his legacy is defined with this tyranny and nothing else.

Mubarak, treat your people fairly, save Egypt. Step down now. Don't leave a legacy of a madman.

February 3, 2011 at 10:26 pm |
  11. Ysan

Instead of talking about this is there anything we can do to actually change this situation?

February 3, 2011 at 10:26 pm |
  12. Emily

"Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely." -John Acton,(1834-1902)

February 3, 2011 at 10:26 pm |
  13. Ahmed

Going to Tahrir tomorrow, if the 100% predicted massacre happened, remember that the U.S. had the time to be on the right side of history and it didn't happen, all we want is democracy.

Proud Egyptian youth.

February 3, 2011 at 10:26 pm |
  14. JC

Why aren't US merchant marine vessels being sent to Alexandria or Port Said to evacuate Americans, like they were during the Suez Crisis? Merchant marine vessels can accommodate thousands, whereas planes have limited capacity

February 3, 2011 at 10:26 pm |
  15. Cessy - Chicago

as american's we need to be able to get our fellow countrymen out of this chaos. we need to provide some form of escort or transporation in order for them to get to the airport, esp when they have a curfew there. The US is advising americans to get to the airport but without a way, they cannot escape this horrible situation. we must act fast!

February 3, 2011 at 10:25 pm |
  16. Nancy in Oregon

Jacob, I know first hand from much smaller confrontations that many people enter the fray who do not necessarily have the most ideologically noble goals in their hearts. They enter fights, on both sides, sadly, just to fight or to be part of something 'exciting'. That is what I'm saying. I don't paint anyone on any 'side' with a pure brush, very much including ourselves, the observers.

February 3, 2011 at 10:25 pm |
  17. Nader Youssef

Dear Anderson,

First of all I want a thank you and Hala for the wonderful job u are doing in Cairo. It is very clear to the world now who Mubarak is. Mubarak, the dictator has driven the Egypt to this chaos. Innocent people are killed in Tahrir Sq. because all they wanted a democratic country. The dictator should stand before the ICC (international criminal court) in Geneva where Saddam Hussain was convicted.

February 3, 2011 at 10:25 pm |
  18. lee gardner

i think this is the mubarak regime that did this to the media and that the military is going to take the side of the anti's so they can have a peaceful country and so eqygtcan get rid of the corruption thats taking place with the media there being controled and the people believing everything on the local news

February 3, 2011 at 10:25 pm |
  19. Kimberly in Sac

Hi Nancy, I'm sure there is a lot of "back-door" dealing going on in D.C. To be a fly on the wall during the conversations between Pres. Obama's administration and Mubarak's regime. It's time be more visible in our actions and time we get some return on our billions of dollars of investment in the country.

February 3, 2011 at 10:25 pm |
  20. Amr El-Fakharany

Hello Anderson,
    Its so painful to see and hear about attacks on journalists, but some Iranians and Israeli spies we're caught in Liberation square and some other locations, and by frisking them, cameras containing photos of strategic locations and buildings were found. Some hid weapons under their clothes. This may explain the attacks. Its a carnival and a lot are hiding within.

February 3, 2011 at 10:25 pm |
  21. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

The claims that the pro-Mubarak demonstrators are government agents is speculation, not proven fact.

February 3, 2011 at 10:25 pm |
  22. Nicole The Netherlands

@ Emily and Mike, Tiennaman Beijing, is what all journalists expect to happen once all camera's are being removed (with violence)

February 3, 2011 at 10:25 pm |
  23. Jennifer

Thank you for your brave reporting! Please stay safe and get out of Egypt very soon.

February 3, 2011 at 10:24 pm |
  24. Ken

Want to give props to CNN and Anderson for giving a voice for those who cannot speak. Be safe.

February 3, 2011 at 10:24 pm |
  25. paul

There's no way I'm spending my tourist dollars in Egypt as long as Mubarak or his ilk are in power.

The story in Egypt is about to get uglier. And the US is partly to blame.

February 3, 2011 at 10:24 pm |
  26. Wilma

Thank you so much for your reporting! You are keeping truth alive. But please don't risk your lives!

February 3, 2011 at 10:24 pm |
  27. Ben S

Thank you for risking your life to cover the chaos in Egypt. We all wish you luck and hope for safety on your return back.

February 3, 2011 at 10:24 pm |
  28. Merl, Ohio

I feel there are a lot of countries involved in this no matter how safe you feel you are, are we safe anywhere?

February 3, 2011 at 10:24 pm |
  29. Ashraf

Anderson and all journalists are doing an excellent and heroic job in Egypt. This is greatly appreciated by all people who care about knowing the truth and who support democracy everywhere.

Since the Egyptian government prohibited all video cameras, can the United States use the Satellite video capability to show the world what is going on?

February 3, 2011 at 10:24 pm |
  30. ALEXANDRE SANTOS - Monterey, CA

Anderson and crew, thank you so much for all your hardwork and courage. Please, be safe guys.

February 3, 2011 at 10:23 pm |
  31. Porfirio California

I really appreciate all of your efforts try to blend in , to get the story out to the world a new president will rise sonner,than expected,America can get wraped up..in my opini on not this time

February 3, 2011 at 10:23 pm |
  32. Brian Quigley

this is certainly an attempt to control media but what do we expect. this is a country that has it's own culture that is for the first time under the spot light since Anwar (I think). no different than one parent telling what the neigbour should do with their kids. that simple.

February 3, 2011 at 10:23 pm |
  33. Nancy Garrett - California

You apologized for broadcast...Ridiculous! Everything is transmitting perfectly. Please stay safe. You should advise other reporters to have a generic background in their shots being televised...

February 3, 2011 at 10:23 pm |
  34. Rose from Muscoy, Calif

This man, Mubarak is doing things behind closed doors, but with who? Who is giving him bad advice? If that's the case maybe not. It don't surprised me, if the government have some kind of connection with this attack. I don't believe any of what the Egyptan government say!

February 3, 2011 at 10:23 pm |
  35. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Bloggers,
    State Dept urge American people to leave Eygpt right now without delay, Because there are people on riot on the street....... I hope American people come home safety!

February 3, 2011 at 10:23 pm |
  36. Arlene

We are watching Anderson....hope that Anderson is OK???? should he leave? this is such a mess..never have seen Anything like this:(
    How long will Anderson stay ?????
    we are concerned about his safety?
    How does Anderson have connection with reporting?
    Concerned Viewer!
    Arlene (in California)

February 3, 2011 at 10:22 pm |
  37. Teresa Huynh

I am watching AC360 now. I am concerned about your safety and also your crew. Do you and Ivan disguise when both of you go Tahrir Square? Wish you and your crew return home safely.

February 3, 2011 at 10:22 pm |
  38. Jo Ann, Ohio

@Nancy in Oregon, "It must be very scary, far beyond the Cairo environs."

I am sure they are filled with uncertainty for the future. I only hope the Egyptian people end up winning in the end.

February 3, 2011 at 10:22 pm |
  39. Cessy - Chicago

as much as it upsets me watching the videos you show, I feel that this is the only way I can see how bad the situation is in Cairo – and the only way we can find out what the situation is for our friends there. we hardly can get a hold of friends and their family who has been housebound since this all started.

February 3, 2011 at 10:22 pm |
  40. Sharon Hastings

It's hard not to get a very bad feeling about tomorrow. It seems the groundwork is being laid by blocking out live camera feed, targeting of journalists, bringing in more police, etc. Makes you wonder if the preparations are in place for something awful. And right, their government comes out condemning the violence–right.

February 3, 2011 at 10:22 pm |
  41. Ysan

CNN can you not use your media power to immediately rally the world to IMMEDIATELY ACT on this & save both the Egyptian people & these journalists???

February 3, 2011 at 10:21 pm |
  42. abady mohamed

i'm very sorry and ashamed for what happen to you Anderson in egypt.everyone knows in egypt knows a lot about mubarak regime and what they can do !!!!!!!!also. soliman is worth than mubarak himself. please, the world watch for this guy.

February 3, 2011 at 10:21 pm |
  43. Nancy in Oregon

Dave, I hope you're right...I trust CNN has that figured out as best it can.

February 3, 2011 at 10:21 pm |
  44. Sandra

I'm sorry but I can only listen to your reports from Egypt, not watch it on CNN. I'm very concerned about your welfare and the welfare of other reporters in the area.

February 3, 2011 at 10:21 pm |
  45. deborah nixon

Should we believe the State Department completely? Everybody has an agenda here.

February 3, 2011 at 10:21 pm |
  46. Diana B

Anderson, Please stay safe, we need you here. You're in my prayers. Diana

February 3, 2011 at 10:20 pm |
  47. Eric in NC

I want to hope for a moment of glory today for the pro-democracy protesters, but with all the singling out of journalists for arrest, harassment, and violence, I'm getting a horrible Tiennamen vibe. I'm praying to be wrong.

February 3, 2011 at 10:20 pm |
  48. CAROLYNJ

good morning.... it is gonna be a massacre.

February 3, 2011 at 10:20 pm |
  49. Marie

P.S. Stay safe Anderson.

February 3, 2011 at 10:20 pm |
  50. Kat

Shutting the media is a sign that something worse is to come...something that the governement did not want the world to see.

Thank you for showing the world how it really is in the streets of Cairo, Anderson...be safe all of you and God Bless!

February 3, 2011 at 10:20 pm |