February 2nd, 2011

Intense Gunfire in Cairo – Join the Live Chat

CNN's Ivan Watson is reporting new intense gunfire just moments ago in Cairo's Tahrir Square.  Anderson has the live breaking news details on the crisis in Egypt.

Want more details on what covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Chloe

What is happening in Cairo and across the Middle East is not only closely followed by the United States in terms of its national interest. It is reasonable to think that countries in which regimes prone stability over political reform (Russia and China are strong examples) will follow these developments VERY closely. I bet lessons learned will go either way: a dictatorship must be responsive to popular political-economic concerns, and the internet and social media is a powerful way to organise a protest against a seamingly well-established regime.

February 2, 2011 at 11:30 pm |
  2. Joseph

The absence of police and an inactive military presence is further inviting more potential violence between the protesters. At what amount of damage and loss of life do the authorities have to actively stop the violence?

February 2, 2011 at 11:29 pm |
  3. Emily

@Jo Ann,
    I know. I've been following this since Mohamed Bouaziz set himself on fire in front of City Hall in Tunisia. His is such a tragic story. I was really surprised to see all this happen in Egypt. However, after hearing about the Mubarak dictatorship, it's hard to believe that he's been supported for 30+ yrs.

February 2, 2011 at 11:29 pm |
  4. Jo Ann, Ohio

@Emily, sorry, I meant to write Tunisia, but I think you know what I meant.

February 2, 2011 at 11:28 pm |
  5. Nina

@Shabbir

Yes, of course!

February 2, 2011 at 11:28 pm |
  6. T Kara

At the very least the Security Council of the UN should be rousted out of bed and look to monitor and address the situation. If I remember correctly, this was the very least they used to do in the past and in many cases, sought to have the UN members condemn and threaten action.

February 2, 2011 at 11:28 pm |
  7. Kristen

How can they tell who they are fighting against?

February 2, 2011 at 11:27 pm |
  8. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Emily,
    Yes, I agree. I hope so they must do it end of curfew leaves.

February 2, 2011 at 11:27 pm |
  9. Jo Ann, Ohio

I wonder if anyone from the UN has questioned Mubarak about what is happening in Egypt? Don't they want to know why he is allowing all of this violence and destruction?

February 2, 2011 at 11:27 pm |
  10. Nicole The Netherlands

I would not like to stand in the shoes of President Obama or Secretary Clinton at the moment.
    I am sure they will not sleep tonight (!)
    There is so much going on in this region at this moment. President Ben Ali (since '87) has fled Tunesia and even the president of Jemen, Ali Abdullah Saleh (since '78) has announced he will step back in 2013.
    The situation is changing so fast.

I would like to hear how Israel stands in all this..

February 2, 2011 at 11:27 pm |
  11. Starr, formerly known as vincent

@Emily & JoAnn

What can Obama do?
    As i posted earlier, if we in the USA were having a major dispute with each other, would we want other countries to intervene on our behalf.
    I believe our reaction would be "mind your own business".

February 2, 2011 at 11:26 pm |
  12. Nina

@ Aref Al Khatib

CCTV just reported that two of Mubarak supporters were caught with Police ID! What you expressed is happening. Mubarak has placed pressure on the government employees to support his cause.

February 2, 2011 at 11:26 pm |
  13. Jana, Georgia

Thank you Emily, I didn't think about the UN. You are right they should be getting involved in this.

February 2, 2011 at 11:26 pm |
  14. Lindy

Anna, thank you for sharing your insights here. I can't say I'm altogether surprised. This is a well utilized tactic of radicals, to prey on those who are suffering, desperate for lifes fundamentals like food and exploiting that. This also happens w/ some Islamic radicals who will promise to take care of a new recruits family for life if they dedicate their lives to allah and the cause.

February 2, 2011 at 11:25 pm |
  15. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

"Let my people go! They always said that history has a way of repeat itself! I believe it does.

February 2, 2011 at 11:24 pm |
  16. lillly

Anderson praying that you and your crew come back home safe. When I first heard this morning that you had been mobbed. I felt like a member of my family had been hurt. You guys make us proud.

February 2, 2011 at 11:24 pm |
  17. Jo Ann, Ohio

@Emily, "I wonder how many were paying attention to it at first?"

It started with Tuisia. I was surprised how many people, including those in the MSM ignored what happened there.

February 2, 2011 at 11:24 pm |
  18. Shabbir

Hope you and all the press stay safe.

Do you understand that you're watching the Middle East version of Tianamen Square play out?

February 2, 2011 at 11:24 pm |
  19. Rose from Muscoy, Calif

President Mubarak is a uncaring, heartless, and coward to allow this to go on. Our President needs to tell this coward that the game is over, no help what so ever from us anymore. Until a change of a decent government is in place. no more money!

February 2, 2011 at 11:24 pm |
  20. rania

Hi Anderson, First I would like to applaud you for your honest reporting on the protests in Egypt. Your reporting has been honest and true to the point versus the Egyptian state Tv where they are not reporting these incidents,rather they are reporting that there's peace. Second, I would like to apologize from all the egyptians that want a true democracy for the harrasements that you experianced. Thank you and your great team for your honesty and letting the rest of the world see the how corrupt our government is and the extend they will go to destroy their country that they state they protect

February 2, 2011 at 11:23 pm |
  21. Mary

First, I am very happy that Anderson and his crew are safe after today's events.
    You just reiterated on the show the messages the US government officials are giving to their counter-parts in Egypt. The question I have is; how much weight does the US government have on the decisions the Egyptian government and/or military make?

February 2, 2011 at 11:23 pm |
  22. Carol

You and your crew are very brave so that others are able to watch history in the making. Please stay safe. We thank God that our founding fathers saw to it to protect us from such chaios.
    God Bless America!
    Carol
    Pennsylvania USA

February 2, 2011 at 11:23 pm |
  23. Lori

The fighting is not solving anything.

February 2, 2011 at 11:22 pm |
  24. Emily

@Jo Ann,
    "I think that many Americans are unhappy with the weak response of the Obama administration."
    I wonder how many were paying attention to it at first? I think that fact that the entire world has also been silent is also sickening! Where is the UN?

February 2, 2011 at 11:22 pm |
  25. Walter J. Price III

The credibility of the United States lies mortally wounded in Tahir Square, our 30 years of backing a Dictators, like Mubarack has finally shown to the world that our government cares NOTHING for democracy. I have a question, why does NO ONE mention that a regime change in Egypt threatens Israel's control of Gaza, after all, Egypt IS the door to Gaza, a changed Egypt could make it impossible for Israel to continue running that nation like a prison.
    Walter Price III, Charleston, West Virginia USA

February 2, 2011 at 11:21 pm |
  26. Mauri

@ Emily
    the man was telling the others in arabic that(it's ok,leave him,go,go)besides some distant bad language in the background.

February 2, 2011 at 11:20 pm |
  27. Nina

@ Aref Al Khatib

Thank You for the valuable added information. Then the level of violence will escalate with what you just expressed.

February 2, 2011 at 11:20 pm |
  28. David

I was thinking the other day how this time 20 years ago the world had it's eyes on the Middle East with the Gul War, and how it's eyes are back on the region. Also with you, Hala, and Ben doing the show tonight reminded me of the 3 CNN reporters 20 years ago during the war. Keep up the good work and stay safe

February 2, 2011 at 11:20 pm |
  29. Emily

Mubarak is using what the US has given him to win this fight! (Bullets, tanks, etc)

February 2, 2011 at 11:20 pm |
  30. James from Canada

Anderson and crew, please be safe but keep the coverage going, the world is watching!!

February 2, 2011 at 11:19 pm |
  31. Lori

Seeing Anderson and other American reporters attacked as well as all of the other violence is overwhelming. I have been so restless all day and I will not sleep tonight.

February 2, 2011 at 11:19 pm |
  32. Jeanie

I see people attacking others who are already injured. Crowd mentality is an awful thing. They are operating on an animal level now. This is no longer just about politics.

February 2, 2011 at 11:18 pm |
  33. lillly

I'm sorry but the UN should get involve, the people of Egypt need them. Think Somalia or Rwanda. Do thousands need to die before this happens? Those also were civil wars and the UN was involved but so many had to die first.

February 2, 2011 at 11:18 pm |
  34. Emily

@Megan,
    I hope that after the curfew lifts, there's not another day like the one that Anderson and the 360°Crew, etc. experienced.

February 2, 2011 at 11:18 pm |
  35. Iris M. Gross

It's 6:15 am in Cairo – I guess time for the call to prayer. If the people of Cairo even slept last night, they will wake up to unbelievable carnage. The anti-Mubarak protesters went for days without a single shot fired or even a fistfight. They took care of each other and got each other food. "Pro-Mubarak" people come in with horses, camels, petrol bombs, whips, and now machine gun fire. If this is what it means to support Hosni Mubarak, then may the protesters who want him out WIN for the sake of Egypt. Martin Luther King would have preferred the methods of the anti-govs than the ruthlessness of the pro-govs, I'd bet my soul on it.

February 2, 2011 at 11:18 pm |
  36. Jo Ann, Ohio

@Emily, "Seems like many Egyptians are not happy with the response from the US Administration."

February 2, 2011 at 11:18 pm |
  37. catlin - mexico

Mubarak the world is watching you slaughter your people. we are in mexico watching your massacre of innocent people!

February 2, 2011 at 11:18 pm |
  38. rania

Live ammunition was shot in Tahrir Sq. from pro-mubarak protesters just now...2 dead..8 wounded...

February 2, 2011 at 11:18 pm |
  39. julie

We are watching the death of Egypt as we know it. The President wants transitoin now. Transition to what?

February 2, 2011 at 11:17 pm |
  40. Chi

@Gloria Did the military say they are not against the People? Maybe with that they just mean what they say. "Not against the People" doesn't mean protecting the People? I believe sth is wrong here because the military is to protect the People.

February 2, 2011 at 11:17 pm |
  41. T Kara

Keep showing the world what is happening in that square...the whole world needs to see and know what is happening; we need the truth.

February 2, 2011 at 11:17 pm |
  42. niwat kurusattra, chicago

Mr Cooper, please stay safe.

February 2, 2011 at 11:17 pm |
  43. MaryAnne

What is happening in Alexandria, Suez, other parts of Cairo? Have not heard reports from these areas today.

February 2, 2011 at 11:17 pm |
  44. Emily

@Jana, Georgia
    "Is it possible for the U.S. armed forces..."
    I think that the UN should take the lead with this. I don't understand how they can also be so silent. Seems like many Egyptians are not happy with the response from the US Administration.

February 2, 2011 at 11:16 pm |
  45. Sue R. Canton MI.

Did not know that the blog was still going on.

To all the Egyptian people : So many people are praying for your safety and please know that your voices are being heard all over the world.

February 2, 2011 at 11:16 pm |
  46. Starr, formerly known as vincent

Thank God for our free press.
    Can you imagine what kind of "news" we would be getting without the level of coverage from CNN and others?!

God bless them all, Al Arabia too, i understand one of their reporting team is in ICU.

February 2, 2011 at 11:16 pm |
  47. Debby

Hi Anderson

Glad to here you are ok...
    Here in holland the day is beginning and hopely it won,t get worse, aldo it doesen,t look like that.
    you all take care ane let,s hope that Mubarak is a big guy and doe,s something

February 2, 2011 at 11:16 pm |
  48. Jo Ann, Ohio

After seeing this how can the US trust anything Mubarak says now?

February 2, 2011 at 11:15 pm |
  49. Helen

@ Shana from Northern California, Obama's statements to Murbark have not been clear nor direct nor forceful. It seems to me that Obama is just being calm about the situation and just putting peace on this.

February 2, 2011 at 11:15 pm |
  50. Nina

Diane

I am not versed on war; however if the UN which is a military force entered Egypt, it could create more of a mess.

February 2, 2011 at 11:14 pm |