February 2nd, 2011

Intense Gunfire in Cairo – Join the Live Chat

CNN's Ivan Watson is reporting new intense gunfire just moments ago in Cairo's Tahrir Square.  Anderson has the live breaking news details on the crisis in Egypt.

Want more details on what covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Rose from Muscoy, Calif

My granddaughter doesn't understand why, their President is allowing this kind of behavior from his people, what can I say?

February 2, 2011 at 11:14 pm |
  2. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

That was a mix crowd, they are not for the same things of life. Some wants the change, and the others want to remain the same.

February 2, 2011 at 11:14 pm |
  3. Ralph ND

i would say that the UN is doing alot of behind-the-scenes work

February 2, 2011 at 11:14 pm |
  4. catlin - mexico

what is the position of the un? will they call for an emergency assembly?

February 2, 2011 at 11:14 pm |
  5. Josh

Anderson, what it happening in Cairo is just terrible! How dreadful it is that you were greeted by pro-Moubark's protesters in such a reprehensible manner. My prayers are with you and your team. May God in heaven keep you safe and courageous. I cannot thank you enough for revealing this event to all of us. Peace be with you.

February 2, 2011 at 11:14 pm |
  6. Emily

@Starr,
    Nic Robertson has been in Alexandria this entire time. They didn't broadcast any reports from him tonight.

February 2, 2011 at 11:13 pm |
  7. Jana, Georgia

Is it possible for the U.S. armed forces to get involved in this to help the people of Cairo?

February 2, 2011 at 11:13 pm |
  8. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

My heart breaking for people who are fighting each other during protesting against President Mubarak of Egypt tonight, My heart go out to them tonight!!! 🙁

February 2, 2011 at 11:13 pm |
  9. Nina

People from all other countries are leaving. The situation is just too volatile. Anderson and crew should leave Egypt as soon as possible. It has become unpredictable and there seems no way the violence could be contained if it became very ugly!

February 2, 2011 at 11:13 pm |
  10. Anna

Hi Anderson,
    Thanks for all the great reports. A friend of mine in her Egyptian village witnessed poor villagers being recruited yesterday by the government to add to the pro-Mubarak protestors in return for money and food. My friend is travelling from her village to Tahrir Square today to join the anti-Mubarak protestors. It looks like both sides are brining reinforcements for tomorrow.

February 2, 2011 at 11:12 pm |
  11. Cessy - Chicago

Anderson and CNN crew! Safety first!!!

Thanks for all your hardwork! will continue to watch CNN...

pray for peace!

February 2, 2011 at 11:12 pm |
  12. Diane

The world cannot just sit and watch these very brave people get massacred. Where is the UN?

February 2, 2011 at 11:11 pm |
  13. dana

My heart breaks for these young men and brave people of Egypt who have the fire of freedom and democracy in their bellies. Some of these young men are so smart and represent a braintrust for Egypt. An impossible situation with more to it than meets the eye. Oil, dollars, deception. We are at the crossroads – how can we just stand by? Anger may boil over here, too. How can we be so detached?

February 2, 2011 at 11:11 pm |
  14. Tina

I hope that Anderson and his crew will get out of Egypt as soon as possible. I am sure that they will have to leave very soon.

February 2, 2011 at 11:11 pm |
  15. Rose from Muscoy, Calif

This reminds me of the L.A. Riots, but three times worse. Maybe the government have lost controll period?

February 2, 2011 at 11:10 pm |
  16. susan

my heart aches for egypt.

February 2, 2011 at 11:10 pm |
  17. Mauri

Anderson and crew,please stay safe it looks like it's getting much worse out there now.If you have to go out,you have to stay within a safe distance from those thugs.

February 2, 2011 at 11:09 pm |
  18. Emily

Does any know what that man said?
    (when Anderson was talking about being attacked)

February 2, 2011 at 11:09 pm |
  19. Darla

It is so sad that their government has chosen to react with terrorism after such a peaceful protest, which was impressive. These people have heart.
    Please be safe & I hope you & your crew come home soon.
    Thank you for all you do, your bravery & professionalism is humbling & inspiring.

February 2, 2011 at 11:09 pm |
  20. Carissa Heine

shocked and don't know what to say just hope AC and crew stays safe and gets out of harms way soon.

February 2, 2011 at 11:08 pm |
  21. Aref Al Khatib

We know that Mubarak has told all government employees that if they do not go and protest on his behalf they will not be paid their salaries. This is ethically wrong from a so called leader of any country. Now we know for a fact that it turned violent due to Mubaraks orders. This is why we must do something to force Mubarak out of the country immediately. If the regeme is gone they will not be able to blackmail their employees against their will.

February 2, 2011 at 11:08 pm |
  22. Emily

@Noha
    "I wish this was a very bad nightmare. Am i awake yer? I am crying and wising my relaTives peace."
    I can't believe what's happened either. I just heard people yesterday say for the first time that they were proud to be Egyptian. Seeing this really is awfully sad. I hope that your family there is safe.

February 2, 2011 at 11:07 pm |
  23. Rose from Muscoy, Calif

I am glad that I am an American, we take for granted our freedom. Maybe we should look at each other and say, Thank God. Be carefull Anderson and crew come home soon. Egyptan people have a long road to go.

February 2, 2011 at 11:06 pm |
  24. Shania from Northern california

Anderson & wonderful team
    Please be safe!!....
    Mobarak's mob are no different than Iranian paramilitary "basigi".
    I am so frustrated why president OBAMA is not acting more decisively. He is clearly not with Egyptian people.
    This type of violence will encourage Egyptian people to go toward Islamic extermists.

February 2, 2011 at 11:06 pm |
  25. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Emily,
    There are still curfew right now...... I hope it will be end of curfew........

February 2, 2011 at 11:06 pm |
  26. Steve

What happened to reports from Nick Roberts in Alexandria and has Ben sent his family out of Cairo yet? Be safe everyone reporting from Egypt.

February 2, 2011 at 11:05 pm |
  27. Helen

U.S. State Department must issued a mandatory evacuation of all Americans in Egypt whether they want to leave or not. It is not safe for them to be in Egypt.

February 2, 2011 at 11:04 pm |
  28. Emily

I wonder what Israel is thinking right now?
    Has there been any reaction from someone from there?

February 2, 2011 at 11:04 pm |
  29. Rob

Anderson,
    It made me very upset to see you get assaulted by the thugs on the streets of Cairo. You do great work both at home and abroad.

February 2, 2011 at 11:04 pm |
  30. Cynthia Yildirim

Glad that you and your crew are ok Anderson. If this escalates even further do you plan to stay there? If so, be safe!

February 2, 2011 at 11:04 pm |
  31. Sharon Hastings

If we're continuing on the blog I'd like to say that I am not encouraged by those recent statements by the administration. Sadly I'm afraid that the Army may do nothing which is in essence a decision for Mubarak. But I will continue to hope and pray for a peaceful resolution.

February 2, 2011 at 11:03 pm |
  32. Amir

Excellent reporting! The organization and resources of the pro-mubarak forces leaves no doubt in my mind that they are police and paid thugs!
    On other thoughts, this crisis uncovers western politics. Simply put, if you do what we want, guard our interests and protect Israel...then you can do what you want with your people!

February 2, 2011 at 11:03 pm |
  33. Jane

Anderson,

This story is important, but not worth the lives of you and your crew. Get out of there as soon as possible.

February 2, 2011 at 11:02 pm |
  34. Emily

When the curfew lifts, I wonder if that gun fire will continue?

February 2, 2011 at 11:01 pm |
  35. James

Why has the U.S. State Department not ordered a mandatory evacuation of all U.S. Citizens? This is starting to look like the start of a civil war.

February 2, 2011 at 11:01 pm |
  36. peggy

Anderson...Please DO NOT stop any coverage at any time!
    Thank you for all your reporting!

February 2, 2011 at 11:01 pm |
  37. Noha

Anderson and the amazing crew, I am an american egyptian and I am horrified for my native country. My children and I will not visit Egypt for a very long time. I wish this was a very bad nightmare. Am i awake yer? I am crying and wising my relaTives peace.

February 2, 2011 at 11:01 pm |
  38. Lisa

Is there a trustworthy charity we can donate to to help the opposition protesters in Egypt? I've read they're running out of money, food etc. And now it seems medical attention is needed as well. My heart is in my throat for them...

Stay safe. As always, great reporting.

February 2, 2011 at 11:01 pm |
  39. Sue R. Canton MI.

Good night AC360Team and fellow bloggers.
    Great comments tonight.

Note to Anderson and crew: When the firemen tell you to get out of a burning building,, you get out. But I know that you and your crew are very smart and you know what your doing if you decide to stay.

Great show. Great coverage. Stay safe everyone.

February 2, 2011 at 11:01 pm |
  40. Lori

Good night everyone. Pray for safety.

February 2, 2011 at 11:00 pm |
  41. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

The military is weak!

February 2, 2011 at 11:00 pm |
  42. Helen

Anderson, as I go, please be safe. I do not want anything to happen to you nor to your crew nor to any other journalists. Please be careful. All the AC 360 fans really care about you and your safety and we really love you and do not want anything bad to happen to you. Please be safe and I will be praying for you. Love you. Have a good night and be safe.

February 2, 2011 at 11:00 pm |
  43. Ed

Right now I'm am praying to GOD that will all don't wake up in the morning to a massacre of the Anti-Gov protesters !!!!

February 2, 2011 at 11:00 pm |
  44. lisal -canada

as the sun comes up on a new day in egypt may clear heads prevail and chaos subside – stay safe

February 2, 2011 at 11:00 pm |
  45. Chi

Why is the military not doing anything?

February 2, 2011 at 11:00 pm |
  46. Jason Eastwood

IS this the start of a civil war in Egypt?

February 2, 2011 at 11:00 pm |
  47. Lindy

a ? to CNN reporters: What does this "new democracy" that many of the anti-Mubarak protestors claim to protest for look like? Have the reporters asked some of the major organizers what exactly this will be if they even know themselves. Democracy comes in variations sometimes, not exactly certain what the end goal is here.

February 2, 2011 at 10:59 pm |
  48. Jo Ann, Ohio

The Middle East seems like a house of cards ready to collapse.

February 2, 2011 at 10:59 pm |
  49. Jennifer

Thanks AC360/CNN team. Also, I'm sure you all are– but, just in case, I'm sending a plug for cooperation among the press outfits over there. As a U.S. American, I've watched these events with hope, fear, curiosity, worry, anger, you name it. Memories of past state-sponsored violence (that we've witnessed/heard about) are triggered, of course. After some thought, I left a message with my U.S. Elected officials today. I am grateful for those who have pushed for freedom of the press & all that allows for press coverage, no matter how heart-wrenching, to occur. Am also grateful for those who try to report based on facts.

February 2, 2011 at 10:59 pm |
  50. Mona

Anderson and Crew!! come back!!! It looks very dangerous! The Regime will target Reporters and protesters, violently. We can't afford to lose you guys!!!

February 2, 2011 at 10:59 pm |