February 2nd, 2011

Intense Gunfire in Cairo – Join the Live Chat

CNN's Ivan Watson is reporting new intense gunfire just moments ago in Cairo's Tahrir Square.  Anderson has the live breaking news details on the crisis in Egypt.

Want more details on what covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Emily

@Nicole The Netherlands
    Music is the universal language! Those lyrics by John Lennon could be translated. If only it were that simple...a wonderful song.

February 2, 2011 at 10:58 pm |
  2. Rosalyn Minassian

My dearest Anderson,

Although we are Armenian, my Aunt Anna is from Egypt...she says, "there are decades of unjust factors that will take a century to change in Egypt. All nations from the West represent Christians, and Christians are not welcome in Egypt! I'm certain you know this but please always be aware of your surroundings and don't take ANYTHING for granted! If you feel something in your gut go with it. God be with you and know that you and your entire crew are in our thoughts and prayers.
    Best, Rosalyn Minassian

February 2, 2011 at 10:58 pm |
  3. T Kara

This is a story where will need to know the truth..who is inciting violence and the loss of life. Those people in the square are under siege(and apparently unarmed), and if there intention is democracy, irrespective of political belief, they deserve the support of free people and responsible Governments everywhere

February 2, 2011 at 10:58 pm |
  4. Sharon Hastings

Good night everyone. Stay safe Anderson and everyone there!!!!

February 2, 2011 at 10:58 pm |
  5. Starr, formerly known as vincent

I don't know if the blog will continue so, just in case, i will say:

Thank you Anderson, Halla, Ben, Ivan & Nick R. as well as your teams for such incredible reporting. I know you will all do everything you can to stay safe.

Fellow writers, i wish you All a safe and peaceful day tomorrow. The situation in Egypt can show us how precious those kinds of days can be.
    My thoughts & prayers are with Egypt. May she become a truly democratic state without more loss of life and blood.

February 2, 2011 at 10:58 pm |
  6. Rose from Muscoy, Calif

Wow praying in the middle of the square? I hope God hears their prayers?

February 2, 2011 at 10:58 pm |
  7. Nina

We can withdraw our funding to Mubarak and use that money to send in aid for the people of Egypt.

February 2, 2011 at 10:58 pm |
  8. Taline

They were beating the poor horse!! Unbelievable.

February 2, 2011 at 10:57 pm |
  9. Vaneita Adams

Anderson

You are the best. Be safe, We need you back in Atlanta. Vaneita

February 2, 2011 at 10:57 pm |
  10. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

And no leader is calling upon peace amount the people? What kind of leadership is that!

February 2, 2011 at 10:57 pm |
  11. lisal -canada

the setting for this broadcast actually looks so informal and casual – until you think about having to have barricades at the ready

February 2, 2011 at 10:57 pm |
  12. Kayla in NC

Dearest Anderson, Ivan and the entire CNN team,
    Keep your wits about you! And don't forget to eat and sleep.
    You are all heroes.

February 2, 2011 at 10:56 pm |
  13. Lindsey

Wow!! I am so proud of Anderson for his bravery to be in such a hostel situation. I was mortified when I saw people actually hitting Anderson. His video today has really put things in perspective for me. I am proud to be an American!! Thank you Anderson!!!

February 2, 2011 at 10:56 pm |
  14. George

Anderson, the thugs who came on horse backs and camels are secret police and thugs paid by the govt of Mubarak to kill, assault, and create this chaos. This is how he operates.

February 2, 2011 at 10:55 pm |
  15. Nicole The Netherlands

@ Jo Ann, in former war like situations 🙁
    Most journalists were in the same hotel, now it seems like all kinds of journalists are on a lot of different places in Cairo. Very hard to secure, even if the army or whoever (!) is willing. That's what worries me also.

This looks like total Anarchy, also wonder about the situation in Alexandria.

February 2, 2011 at 10:55 pm |
  16. Paula, Colorado

As disturbing as it is, your coverage has been extraordinary. Please be safe and come back soon!

February 2, 2011 at 10:55 pm |
  17. Emily

Will there be any arrests with what happened today? (all those fires, people killed! –I know if you're reading this, it may seem strange, however, I'm serious!) I heard someone say that the "Head of the Supreme Court" would be the one to take over power as an interim gov. [not the V-P as he's apart of the Mubarak regime.]

February 2, 2011 at 10:54 pm |
  18. sandy brychta

Anderson, so disappointed in our gov's response. Reminds me of Prague Spring– fear the outcome will be the same.

February 2, 2011 at 10:54 pm |
  19. Helen

Anderson, I hope that you and your crew, Ben, Ivan, and Hala are okay. The images and video content of what is going on Egypt have been distrubing to me. I do not know what to make of all of this. Journalists are being attacked just because they are reporting the news and now everything is a warzone. I do not know what is going to happen , but I feel so scared for the journalists that are reporting and the people in Egypt. Anderson, please be careful and be safe.

February 2, 2011 at 10:54 pm |
  20. Jo Ann, Ohio

It looked like a movie set when those horseback riders and camel riders came down the street. It was surreal!

February 2, 2011 at 10:54 pm |
  21. Richard Antoine

Thanks for the shocking images and "live" play by play from Cairo, Anderson... as always, you and your crew are extremely brave and selfless. Considering the U.S. State Department's warning for Americans to evacuate and the horrific, dizzying escalation of violence, I hope you and other Western journalists stay safe and plan on getting out before the eminent tipping point.

February 2, 2011 at 10:54 pm |
  22. Terry

I don't see why cooper saying sorry for how it looks in the middle the egypt uprising

This raw reporting is way better anyway I will take a hotel room over glitzy set anyday to know what is going on like that.

February 2, 2011 at 10:54 pm |
  23. frances butler

my son is there close to the square. the news said for americans to get to the airport.he cannot get to airport. i cannot get him to answer phone. praying he's fine. how can he get out?

February 2, 2011 at 10:53 pm |
  24. Starr, formerly known as vincent

@Anderson or anyone

I have not seen Any reports today from Nick Robinson (i may have missed them).

Does anyone know where and how Nick R. is doing?

February 2, 2011 at 10:53 pm |
  25. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

As this spreads across the Mideast, I think we will end up with a whole new crop of Islamic Republics. Bad news for civilization.

February 2, 2011 at 10:53 pm |
  26. Mona

Chaos by paid agents to claim the need for him,the gush of incoming thugs that stormed into Tahrir square banners translated into exactly this: "Mubarak, aviation Fighter..don't leave us here in the middle of fire".

Your reporters crew saw a sample of how they conduct their business. Ruthless!

In 6 weeks the population will be "under control"!

February 2, 2011 at 10:53 pm |
  27. Noah

AC – thanks for covering our friends and family. Thank you for making it very clear that we want democracy and that THUGS are messing up the natural change wanted by the people.

February 2, 2011 at 10:52 pm |
  28. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Cairo is divided of its people!

February 2, 2011 at 10:52 pm |
  29. Faith Morgan

Get out of there safely, all of you! We need you here in the US, as you are the most. genuine, quality news crews & anchor.

February 2, 2011 at 10:52 pm |
  30. Jana, Georgia

This is unbelievable how fast this went from a peace protest to such violence in the streets of Cairo.

Do we know if the same thing is happening in Alexandria where Nic Robertson has been?

Please Anderson, Ben, Ivan and all of the CNN team, stay safe.

February 2, 2011 at 10:52 pm |
  31. denise

May peace find you...be well

February 2, 2011 at 10:51 pm |
  32. Taline

Where is the Arab World? Why aren't they speaking out or helping solve this horrible situation? Saudi Arabia, Joedan, Syria...?
    Anderson, we all wish you and the CNN team safe stay and please come back to US ASAP.

February 2, 2011 at 10:51 pm |
  33. Mauri

I appreciate your coverage of this especially with all the seige on media in Egypt.

February 2, 2011 at 10:51 pm |
  34. Lindy

I second that Sue, I it's difficult to image what revolution is like whether it is happening elsewhere currently or we're learning about our own revolution here in America. We can just hope that they continue to be strong and have faith in what they are protesting/fighting for.

February 2, 2011 at 10:50 pm |
  35. Jo Ann, Ohio

@Nicole The Netherlands, "If the situation remains this way I would very much like for all of you from the AC team and Hala, Nic and Ben to get out.

I don't think they ever imagined that this would turn so violent so quickly. I am sure CNN has arranged for them to leave as soon as possible.

February 2, 2011 at 10:50 pm |
  36. Nicole The Netherlands

@ Emily, yep this is the real deal, real totalitarian Iran like behaviour.
    ALL PRESS is made work impossible.
    It is so scary, so scary

Yesterday was so peaceful.
    Wish John Lennon could sing in Arabic all over that square, "Imagine all the people"..

February 2, 2011 at 10:50 pm |
  37. Emily

@Jo Ann,
    "I wonder if Joe Biden still believes that Mubarak is not a dictator?"
    I'm still stunned by that response from Biden! Really never would have expected that from him. I wonder what he's thinking too.

February 2, 2011 at 10:50 pm |
  38. Christina

Anderson,

Please come home safely... and soon. We appreciate you covering this now horrendous event and we wish for the delivery of democracy for the Egyptian people...it is time for one of the world's figure heads to stand up and say enough... to stop the bleeding!!

I am very concerned for you, Ivan and the team. These poor beautiful people who were protesting in peace.. this is so appalling to see...

Anderson please come home...

February 2, 2011 at 10:49 pm |
  39. ashraf

All his years of presidency, Mubarak had his way and made the poor people believe that this is what they wanted, once again he's succeeded...genius.

February 2, 2011 at 10:49 pm |
  40. Cessy - Chicago

Anderson, I'm scheduled to go to Zamalek soon with my bestfriend but not anymore!!!! my other cousin is scheduled to go to a work conference there as well... staying put in AMERICA!

the videos you are showing is absolutely very disturbing. I grew up in Manila and have experienced an uprising during the Marcos' regime( my father at the time worked for the Marcos' and people were looking for anyone associated with him and his administration;we had to go in hiding for while for safety issues) but there were no bloodshed...I feel for them and for some friends there in Cairo...Egypt situation is horrible!

February 2, 2011 at 10:49 pm |
  41. Sharon Hastings

As compelling as the current events in Egypt are, I am also very worried about the big picture of what may happen to destabilize the whole area, particularly Yemen, but all others as well. This is spreading like a virulent virus and who will take over is the big question.

February 2, 2011 at 10:48 pm |
  42. Joe - Orlando FL

US State Dept tells Americans to get to the Airport now! They know it's going to get ugly and Mubarak isn't going to go!

February 2, 2011 at 10:48 pm |
  43. Brett

We are watching your show in horror and wish that you all would get out of there now.
    Great reporting but not worth your life.
    Be safe and get back to the USA.

February 2, 2011 at 10:48 pm |
  44. Starr, formerly known as vincent

@Sharon, it is my hope too, that the Egyptian army will act with democracy as their goal.

US and European aid being withdrawn is the only tool left. However, that is a double edged sword too.

February 2, 2011 at 10:47 pm |
  45. Brian Stern, Seattle

With the US Government telling all American Citizens to "Get Out While they Can" Does that mean reporters will leave as well? I am captivated by the coverage and the courage the reporters have shown, I hope they stay!

February 2, 2011 at 10:47 pm |
  46. Emily

@Anderson,
    You don't need to put yourself in a dangerous position for us to watch you!
    We respect your reporting and your dedication to the facts and truth! We want you (& your crew) to be safe.

February 2, 2011 at 10:47 pm |
  47. Rose from Muscoy, Calif

The only thing these people want is to be free to have a decent life. Not be beaten and killed. Have any children been hurt or killed, Anderson?

February 2, 2011 at 10:47 pm |
  48. Tesrin, Bangladesh

it's just sad when power is more important than human life

February 2, 2011 at 10:46 pm |
  49. Heather - Spokane, WA

I think the reason why teh army has not done much is because they were not trained for something like this. It was obvious from the look on one of teh soldier's faces the other day that he was pretty scared at the large crowd coming after him and him standing in front of the crowd with a pointed gun, but no idea as to where to point it or even looked like he knew what he was doing with it. I don't think the army even knows what to do and are way too scared to do anything because they are fearing for their own lives

February 2, 2011 at 10:46 pm |
  50. Scott

God be with you, Anderson, your crew and all CNN staff in Egypt! I'm praying for your safety and sound judgement as you report from Cairo.

February 2, 2011 at 10:45 pm |