February 2nd, 2011

Intense Gunfire in Cairo – Join the Live Chat

CNN's Ivan Watson is reporting new intense gunfire just moments ago in Cairo's Tahrir Square.  Anderson has the live breaking news details on the crisis in Egypt.

Want more details on what covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Nicole The Netherlands

Apart of the violence in the square there has been a lot of looting of excavation sites centuries old, imagine that if this all comes down, a lot of tourist opportinities also taken away by people looking for a quick money.

This is so much this has to be stopped, the violence everything.

Such excellent reporting!

February 2, 2011 at 10:45 pm |
  2. Ed

Come home! You have done a great job over there but it is now time to come home!

February 2, 2011 at 10:45 pm |
  3. T Kara

I can only hope that Tahrir Square will someday be remembered as the place where democracy in the Middle East was born and not another Tiennamen Square

February 2, 2011 at 10:45 pm |
  4. Emily

@Nicole The Netherlands
    "Al Arabya journalists have been severely beaten today."
    I remember the other night when Anderson was on-air and there was those chanting yelling during his broadcast. They thought that he was with Al Jazeera.

February 2, 2011 at 10:45 pm |
  5. Lori

These images are sendindg chills through me.

February 2, 2011 at 10:45 pm |
  6. Hoss

Great Reporting Anderson,
    I just wanted to shed the light on one issue, is that the support for Moubarak Regim and the dictatroships in the middle east is fueling the anti american sentiment in the region, and i beleive it is time for the administration to realise this.

Best Regards for you and your team!

February 2, 2011 at 10:45 pm |
  7. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Hope they need stop violence during protesting on the street right now...... They need stop fight each other. Please peace!!!!

February 2, 2011 at 10:45 pm |
  8. Sue R. Canton MI.

The protesters must be so exausted. I admire their strength and hope that they will find the freedom and peace that they deserve.

February 2, 2011 at 10:44 pm |
  9. Ed Hatlee

Hey Anderson and Crew, Stay safe and Brave...America and the world are relying on you to give it to us straight up. It is a sad day when one mans ill fed pride can cause an entire region to much turmoil and rage. He should be ashamed of himself and the dishonor he is doing to his people.

February 2, 2011 at 10:44 pm |
  10. Paula, Colorado

It's a sad situation there, but I don't think Pres. Mubarak will really win by the downward turn of events.

February 2, 2011 at 10:44 pm |
  11. Rose from Muscoy, Calif

It is a civil war there! Not good for all reporters.

February 2, 2011 at 10:44 pm |
  12. Lindy

Mubarak said he is leaving in September and will spend the rest of his life in Cairo, uhhmm, if you are in fact responsible for this turn of events I doubt you will spend the rest of your life in Egypt, if you even get out of this alive at all.

February 2, 2011 at 10:44 pm |
  13. Dian Turbeville/Texas

It is scary Huh.Everyone says come on home.So come on home you are brave we are scared and we love you and need you here.Mr.Anderson Cooper Come on home

February 2, 2011 at 10:44 pm |
  14. Sara

Hala, Ben & team: you did an excellent job. I cannot believe the US administration is watching what you have gone through which is representative of the big picture........and playing apathy. It's very sad, not to be able to obtain a dream which is simply: Freedom.

February 2, 2011 at 10:44 pm |
  15. Lucien

Anderson, I admire the bravery of you and your team, and the length you go to report the reality of current events in Egypt. I am relieved that no one was badly injured during your attack. Stay safe and God Bless!!

February 2, 2011 at 10:43 pm |
  16. Starr, formerly known as vincent

@Gihan Abdel Razig

I believe Pres. Obama and his administration as well as All democratic countries, are doing Everything they can to make sure your "Dream" comes true.

May God bless you and your country with peace and Democracy so that your tears will be dried.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your countrymen & women.

February 2, 2011 at 10:43 pm |
  17. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

@Sharon, All the generals running the Army were appointed by Mubarak. It's doubtful that they would turn on him.

February 2, 2011 at 10:43 pm |
  18. Nancy

Anderson, I'd like to thank you and all of the rest of the CNN and European journalists for putting your lives at stake to report this frightening and very sad story.

It's terrifying to watch and I know we're all very concerned for your safety. I have the greatest respect for journalists who go through this kind of danger. I can't imagine how frightening today must have been for all of you. I'm so glad that you're safe for now.

I'm so concerned for the peaceful Egyptians that just want freedom and democracy. I hope that they know that most of the world is on their side.

February 2, 2011 at 10:43 pm |
  19. Nina

@ Jennifer

I am with you on this one. It is just too volatile and could completely erupt out of control in any minute. Many countries are flying in charter jets to remove their citizens.

February 2, 2011 at 10:43 pm |
  20. Emily

I think that the Army was satisfied with the fact that Mubarak said that he was not going to run again. Obama didn't give any ultimatums. Since all males have to serve, they would have family on both sides of this debate. Not a that much of a surprise that they're standing back.

February 2, 2011 at 10:42 pm |
  21. Debby -MI

Anderson and crew-Am frightened for you and your crew.Am praying God will keep you safe. Be careful-please come home! The situation is too volatile for you and your crew to be there. Even though we appreciate the updates, your safety is of utmost importance!!!

February 2, 2011 at 10:42 pm |
  22. Heather - Spokane, WA

I am just sad that such a beautiful area with peaceful people just erupted into a battlefield. I'm also sad that looters have damaged artifacts and two mummies in the museum, lay off the artifacts and mummies! Just because you are mad at one person doesn't mean you get to take it out on the valuables

February 2, 2011 at 10:41 pm |
  23. terry mutuku, Toronto

I just saw the clip about the attack on AC and crew. while I praised the crew for risking their lives – because that's what journalists do at the front lines – but this is now dangerous. I think the crew should leave for their safety unless they're provided with security...

February 2, 2011 at 10:41 pm |
  24. Ray

I hope the anti-government demonstrators succeed. Sadly, it's looking pretty grim.

Thank you Anderson Cooper for your bravery. Stay safe!

February 2, 2011 at 10:41 pm |
  25. Sharon Hastings

The Army is the key here. I fervently hope we can convince them to side with the people and apply all pressure for Mubarak to step down.

February 2, 2011 at 10:40 pm |
  26. Kristi

Unfortunately, I can only see this getting much worse before any type of resolution occurs. And there doesn't seem to be any "good" resolution in sight.....

February 2, 2011 at 10:40 pm |
  27. Wanda

This is crazy. I can not believe what I am seeing. I had my life long dream trip planned to Egypt in April of this year. Now I watch that dream evaporate along with the hopes that this could end in a peaceful transition to a new free government for the people of Egypt. Sad, sad. Stay safe all those who are there and reporting this tragedy.

February 2, 2011 at 10:39 pm |
  28. Mauri

I just heared from an emergency person at a hospital close to tahrir that they recieved 3 dead and several wounded by gun fire which erupted from the top of 6 Oct. bridge in the last 20 min

February 2, 2011 at 10:39 pm |
  29. Rebecca

The bravest people in any conflict are the journalists who weild only cameras and display the truth. I applaud Mr. Cooper and his team for bringing us the facts as they occur and I also fear for them. Stay safe.

February 2, 2011 at 10:39 pm |
  30. T Kara

Appreciate your efforts to cover those crucial
    events in Egypt. CNN's coverage is something unique in conveying the volatility and danger
    there. What happened to your crew today, clearly commnicated the danger and hysteria that has now characterized a torn country. CNN's worldwide viewers and with you and your
    crew, Anderson.

February 2, 2011 at 10:39 pm |
  31. Lindy

initially the White House wanted to refrain from getting involved, suggesting that if this is a revolution for democracy then it has to play out. They even told Mubarak to allow the demonstrators to demonstrate. That however becomes really difficult to take when things b/m violent and I'm sure they are struggling with this as well. Some have speculated that Mubarak is injecting these thugs into the mix in order to give reason to use military force, garner requests from outside to make the protests disappear altogether.

February 2, 2011 at 10:39 pm |
  32. Sara MI, USA

I was so proud of the Egyptian people demonstrating in such a peaceful way... This is a terrible turn of events.

This can only end two ways. The people will again be oppressed, or when enough people have died they will all go home...

February 2, 2011 at 10:38 pm |
  33. Jo Ann, Ohio

@Emily, "The "Pro-Mubarak supporters" really were something to be worried about."

Now the USA can see what Mubarak really is about. I wonder if Joe Biden still believes that Mubarak is not a dictator?

February 2, 2011 at 10:38 pm |
  34. Ralph ND

somehow I don't think anderson will leave egypt as long as there is so much news to report on.
    he did say they have a plan and a back up plan, so they must have a good security team with them to be planning ahead

February 2, 2011 at 10:38 pm |
  35. Sharon Hastings

Yes, I'm sure John King is right. All pressures are being brought to bear through multiple channels as aggressively as possible.

February 2, 2011 at 10:37 pm |
  36. Rania

I am so sorry for what happened to you today at Tahrir Sq.... here you are trying to show the world the true picture and you were attacked. As an Egyptian, I appologize this happened to you on Egyptian soil.

But here you are, showing the world what we have been dealing with for years!

Keep safe, keep the truth out there.

February 2, 2011 at 10:37 pm |
  37. Jennifer

Anderson & crew – please please get out of Egypt ASAP. I just finished watching what happened to you today and please do put this before your friends and family. The situation looks like it is getting worse. Please do not risk staying there any longer.

February 2, 2011 at 10:37 pm |
  38. Gihan Abdel Razig

I beg of you to let President Obama interfere and "make the bad man go away"... Please tell him "I have a dream"... "We" have a dream... don't let him crush it or crush us... Mubarak's unspoken slogan is "be with Mubarak or be dead". He has never shown you his true color but now you see it with your own eyes... believe what you see and ask your former Government officials who have met with him in the past...
    With my non stop tears and no will to surrender.
    Gihan

February 2, 2011 at 10:37 pm |
  39. Rose from Muscoy, Calif

This President, doesn't care about his people just his power of controll them.

February 2, 2011 at 10:37 pm |
  40. Nicole The Netherlands

Anderson and everyone there, If the situation remains this way I would very much like for all of you from the AC team and Hala, Nic and Ben to get out.

That's what "they" want unfortunately, but if there is no real protection, there is no choice.

February 2, 2011 at 10:36 pm |
  41. Emily

That should have been told that they were going to lose the Aide right from the start!

February 2, 2011 at 10:36 pm |
  42. Georgene Braverman

Anderson – Please come home. I was just watching what is going on over in Egypt and I am truly worried about your well being. I look forward to watching you every night and I would be devastated if anything happened to you. Please stay "Safe". Georgene Braverman

February 2, 2011 at 10:36 pm |
  43. Nate

Thanks for reporting Anderson and giving us a real look at the events happening. Stay safe...

February 2, 2011 at 10:36 pm |
  44. Tonia

Anderson, please get out of there! get on that flight back to United States!

February 2, 2011 at 10:35 pm |
  45. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Wow!!!!!! That is so scary video to see Anderson attacked by mob!!!!!

February 2, 2011 at 10:34 pm |
  46. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Wild, some of those people do not want peace. They are people without a strong leader of peace.

February 2, 2011 at 10:34 pm |
  47. Jason Eastwood

I'm so scared for everyone over their. Please be safe. I wish the AC360 crew safety. God bless you all and great reporting.

Let freedom ring!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 2, 2011 at 10:34 pm |
  48. Nina

@ Susan
    'I will have a lot less sympathy for these people if they harm Anderson or any of the CNN crew. Hands off the press!'

Anderson is in a very volatile situation. Anything can happen. It is like a mob at times and develops a life of its own. You cannot judge an entire people for something when it goes out of control.

February 2, 2011 at 10:34 pm |
  49. Heather - Spokane, WA

Hi everyone. I just tuned in and saw what happened to Anderson and his crew. I am happy that everyone is ok, it is just getting scary there now and makes me even more worried. I have a friend who lives in Egypt, they do not live in Cairo, but I haven't heard from them in a bit and am worried if they are ok or not, hopefully they are

February 2, 2011 at 10:34 pm |
  50. Jason

One common misconception is that the government is promoting the violence, we don't know that.

Keep in mind, people on a government paycheck have a lot to lose, they may have not been told directly to harm the protesters and could be acting on there own.

February 2, 2011 at 10:34 pm |