February 2nd, 2011

Intense Gunfire in Cairo – Join the Live Chat

CNN's Ivan Watson is reporting new intense gunfire just moments ago in Cairo's Tahrir Square.  Anderson has the live breaking news details on the crisis in Egypt.

Want more details on what covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Emily

@Mike, formerly from Syracuse
    I've been wondering if anything is going to happen in Turkey. They really are the closest to a democracy. I hear that there is now some unrest in Bahrain...this appears to be a revolution, however, the outcome is not looking good.

February 2, 2011 at 10:34 pm |
  2. Cessy - Chicago

Anderson and Crew! the video you just showed was very disturbing... especially when you mentioned that Military personnel didn't do anything! I hope and pray for you and your crew and other journalists who cover horrible stories like this.

February 2, 2011 at 10:33 pm |
  3. Mei- AZ

Gosh Scary Scary Scary Anderson!!! Glad you all are safe!!! Just continue to be. I've been glued to the internet and the TV all day. Thank you for your brave coverage. Stay safe.

February 2, 2011 at 10:33 pm |
  4. Sue R. Canton MI.

I've never heard so much fear in Anderson's voice and in the voice's of so many reporters and journalists. It seems like Murbarek is fighting back in a violent way. It's him and his regime against his own people.

February 2, 2011 at 10:32 pm |
  5. Jacqueline, NY

Okay, I'm really frighten for you reporting over there. Please Leave, Anderson and crew.

February 2, 2011 at 10:32 pm |
  6. Sarah

Doesn't it seem odd that a thousand prisoners escaped from the Cairo prison, and then a bunch of thugs appear today as Mubarik supporters?

February 2, 2011 at 10:32 pm |
  7. Starr, formerly known as vincent

Anderson, that was amazing and frankly terrifying video of you and your crew this AM in Egypt. I hope your location is secret and safe now.

I know most of us want to intervene on the situation in Egypt, however, if we in the US were having violent disagreements with each other, would we want other countries to tell us what to do or invade our shores to calm us down?

February 2, 2011 at 10:32 pm |
  8. Brad

I agree that it SHOULD be the responsibility of all nations but sadly the UN member countries spend most of their time squabbling among themselves and voting in blocs that prevent any legitimate action.

February 2, 2011 at 10:32 pm |
  9. deb

Anderson,at what point would you feel you need to leave?
    Peace and blessings
    Deb

February 2, 2011 at 10:31 pm |
  10. Dulcie - Denver

Ivan, Anderson, Hala and Ben, please keep yourselves safe while bringing us the news.

I watched the earlier coverage showing both your crew and Hala getting roughed up. I would have been terrified. I'm sure it's frightening for all you you too.

Thank you so much for your coverage.

February 2, 2011 at 10:31 pm |
  11. Susan

I will have a lot less sympathy for these people if they harm Anderson or any of the CNN crew. Hands off the press!

February 2, 2011 at 10:31 pm |
  12. Nina

Oh my goodness... Anderson, you need to get out of there. That is just crazy

February 2, 2011 at 10:31 pm |
  13. Alan

andreson,

we love you and need you but you should get out of there. please. and the UN? where?

February 2, 2011 at 10:30 pm |
  14. Susan

Sending my love and prayers to you and your team, Anderson. And the same to Ivan. It's very worrisome. I want you guys out of there.

February 2, 2011 at 10:30 pm |
  15. syeda

Protesters are still holding position in the tahrir square. I applaud their bravery.

February 2, 2011 at 10:29 pm |
  16. Lisa

You and all american journalists are in my prayer's to be protected by God...and to get back to USA safe...we are praying for u xo

February 2, 2011 at 10:29 pm |
  17. John

I wonder if State Dept. knows something about to be happening that they put out evac statement?

February 2, 2011 at 10:29 pm |
  18. terry mutuku

The situation in Cairo is definitely out of control. Its amazing to see how Ac and crew are keeping calm, professional a& fearless at the front line. That's what this profession is about. Thanks guys for risking your lives to keep the world informed. Please stay safe....

February 2, 2011 at 10:28 pm |
  19. Emily

I wonder what was written on that flag?
    It was in Arabic of course.

February 2, 2011 at 10:28 pm |
  20. cally

stay safe!

February 2, 2011 at 10:28 pm |
  21. Isoloda

Anderson, I really appreciate and admire what you guys are doing!
    I saw the attack on you and your colleagues online and it's really worrisome. So please be careful!
    We can ascertain that the pro-Mubarak mob is either the police force in civil or gangs and civil servants hired by Mubarak Government to create chaos! I myself experienced the same type of situation back in 2005 in Ethiopia when the people tried to request peacefully the government to end its 15 years brutal regime. The response from the gvt was simple – killing peaceful demonstrators with live bullets – more than 300 lost their lives. So I fear the worse for the Egyptian people unless an urgent measure is taken now – Mubarak should leave!
    Take care and be safe

February 2, 2011 at 10:27 pm |
  22. Gabby

Stay safe!

Thank you for bringing the story of how important freedom is!!!

Good luck to the people of Egypt! May they succeed in bringing democracy to their country.

Thank you Anderson, Hala, Ben, Ivan, and your entire team.

February 2, 2011 at 10:27 pm |
  23. candice

be careful. your job is very dangerous. i am glad internet is back on

February 2, 2011 at 10:26 pm |
  24. Emily

Joe took some fantastic photos!
    I hope that he didn't put himself in danger.

February 2, 2011 at 10:26 pm |
  25. Sharon Hastings

I firmly believe there is plenty of action and aggressive talks going on. We just aren't privy to it yet. It's being done privately through channels. We'll hear more soon I'm sure.

February 2, 2011 at 10:26 pm |
  26. Karen Wickman

Anderson, you and your team should get out of there and head for the airport! If nothing else, you should evacuate Ivan Watson out of the square. It's not safe...

February 2, 2011 at 10:26 pm |
  27. syeda

Egyptians are making history, and world is watching. Just Watching.

February 2, 2011 at 10:26 pm |
  28. vic , nashville tn

Simple Too late for Hosni Mubarak

February 2, 2011 at 10:26 pm |
  29. shawn

We understand the need to tell the story of what is happening in Egypt but it has turned into a lawless state so please get all of the CNN staff out of there now – it is not worth it!

February 2, 2011 at 10:26 pm |
  30. Jo Ann, Ohio

I am surprised no one knew about these pro-Mubarak demonstrators especially if they say that these are the same thugs Mubarak's people used to stuff the ballot boxes.

February 2, 2011 at 10:25 pm |
  31. Emily

@Starr,
    Thanks for that information. I'm sure that an oil company offering money to people who've been in a situation where food is running low, money, everything closed, etc. they were playing on the desperation of some.

February 2, 2011 at 10:25 pm |
  32. Maryam Hamedani

This is so sad and pretty common in the dictatorships. I remember watching the same thing during the uprising in my home country Iran. The Basij was paid by the police to go in and attack people, rape, shot etc. It was the Basij that killed Neda in Tehran.
    I hope the people of Egypt don't give up and fight for their freedom.

February 2, 2011 at 10:25 pm |
  33. Sue from Syracuse

Anderson and team, take extra care and come back soon!

February 2, 2011 at 10:24 pm |
  34. Rose from Muscoy, Calif

Hi Anderson and crew please stay safe. It's so bad out there, can't really trust anyone at this point.

February 2, 2011 at 10:24 pm |
  35. Ken

It is a horrible shame to watch the aspirations of a people crushed before our eyes. I am ashamed by the lack of pressure from our US government.

We helped Mubarek oppress his countrymen for decades and now we are apparently silent while his henchmen turn an incredible, peaceful movement for democracy into a bloodbath.

This will go down in infamy just like Wounded Knee, Kent State, and Tienanman Square.

February 2, 2011 at 10:24 pm |
  36. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

There are no real democracies in the 47 majority Muslim countries. The closest is Turkey, which limits personal freedoms like religion. The odds that this will turn out with Egypt as a real democracy are very small.

February 2, 2011 at 10:24 pm |
  37. Sue from Syracuse

Folks, that bloody scene disturbs me.. I cannot take it.. I am sorry.. got to bid you all peace... will talk to you tomorrow.

February 2, 2011 at 10:24 pm |
  38. Starr, formerly known as vincent

I also heard reported earlier that Mubarak declared he had a "PhD in" stubborness.

Such arrogance! What would make him leave, maybe the army staging a coup?

I believe it's been more than adequately reported that the Egyptians want an open society, not a radical Islamaic one.

February 2, 2011 at 10:24 pm |
  39. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

I think the people should go back home and wait for election time because this way is not helping anyone for the better.

February 2, 2011 at 10:23 pm |
  40. Mike from Canada

Please stay safe Anderson and crew and great reporting. i think that Western democracies should stand up together and support the people of Egypt. Mubarak needs to leave and put some type of transitional government in place until elections can be held. If he doesnt i think this could get a whole lot worse, and maybe even cause serious ramifications in the region.

February 2, 2011 at 10:23 pm |
  41. Kathy

In watching various coverage Brian Williams spoke to a woman in her 70's who is trapped in her home near the square. I understand the State Department is urging all American's who wish to leave to get out of the country, but what do people to do when they are trapped.
    My heart goes out to all in Egypt and wish them Peace.

February 2, 2011 at 10:23 pm |
  42. Lori

This sounds like it will continue to escalate.

February 2, 2011 at 10:23 pm |
  43. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Anderson,
    I am worried about you..... Please come home safe right away!!!!!!! State Dept said that you need come back home.

February 2, 2011 at 10:23 pm |
  44. Jason

Aman I see your quote, here is another.

“Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.” Benjamin Franklin

February 2, 2011 at 10:23 pm |
  45. Ahmed

Hosny Mubarak is killing us, and we were supposed to be the pride of the Egyptian youth who'll take the country to the future, I want to cry

February 2, 2011 at 10:22 pm |
  46. Lindy

There's a time to report and a time to retreat. It is important to report to the rest of the world, however one cannot do that injured or worse. If in fact it is serious enough for Anderson and his crew to take refuge w/o indication of light/equipment why in the world is Ivan still out in the public square?

My thoughts are w/ the people of Egypt and their family members around the globe.

February 2, 2011 at 10:22 pm |
  47. wayne

Thanks for all of the live coverage today its appreciated. But please do put your lives and family before the need to cover this story. The world understands, so stay safe and get out as soon as possible.

February 2, 2011 at 10:22 pm |
  48. Ralph ND

anybody with a camera is getting attacked today

February 2, 2011 at 10:22 pm |
  49. cicly

hey anderson and all; you guys are safe right now, but how are you going to get out of there and home safe? where is nic robertson? and the other correspondents? come home as soon as it's safe to do so.

February 2, 2011 at 10:22 pm |
  50. Emily

@Jo Ann,
    The "Pro-Mubarak supporters" really were something to be worried about.

February 2, 2011 at 10:21 pm |