February 2nd, 2011

Intense Gunfire in Cairo – Join the Live Chat

CNN's Ivan Watson is reporting new intense gunfire just moments ago in Cairo's Tahrir Square.  Anderson has the live breaking news details on the crisis in Egypt.

Want more details on what covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Emily

@lillly
    "where is the UN in all of these?"
    That's a great question! Why has Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon not said anything? He's been silent this entire time. I was wondering this before, and I think that they should be bringing infrastructure (for democracy & now stability) to Egypt.

February 2, 2011 at 10:11 pm |
  2. Cathy, Delhi, CA

So worried about Anderson and his crew. Saying our prayers that he is able to get out of Egypt safely.

February 2, 2011 at 10:10 pm |
  3. Sara

Oh my gosh Anderson, don't apologize for the way you are presenting your show tonight... Thank you for reporting in a scary situation.

Just stay safe.

February 2, 2011 at 10:10 pm |
  4. Ralph ND

@emily

pro mubarak supporters are said to be government employees in egypt ordered to create chaos that only mubrak himself can clean up

February 2, 2011 at 10:09 pm |
  5. Cessy - Chicago

Who is in charge in Egypt???

February 2, 2011 at 10:09 pm |
  6. Sue from Syracuse

How do they get such big gunshot ammo... if not from the military?

February 2, 2011 at 10:09 pm |
  7. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

The talk of jihad is troubling. This is looking more and more like Iran.

February 2, 2011 at 10:09 pm |
  8. Aman

For the brave protestors in Egypt, I write a quote from Dwight D. Eisenhower –
    History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.

May you all have the strength in the struggle ahead.

February 2, 2011 at 10:09 pm |
  9. Sara NYC

Sounds like Suleiman has made his move. My money is on that plainclothes police have been inciting the violence. "Pro Government" my butt. And the fact that the military are standing by, is telling. It's much easier to off nosy journalists in a crowd like this and avoid attention or responsibility.

Take care Wederman.

February 2, 2011 at 10:08 pm |
  10. Allison Abbott Kline

Watching you live in Cairo......stay safe with your team while reporting the ever changing climate.

February 2, 2011 at 10:08 pm |
  11. Sue from Syracuse

Those gunshot gave me real jolts. It feels so real as in right here!

February 2, 2011 at 10:08 pm |
  12. CHARLIE

Usually the US is not keen on the UN getting involved with theit allies.

February 2, 2011 at 10:08 pm |
  13. Starr, formerly known as vincent

That gunfire sounds like heavy rounds. Is that normal gunfire or is it large guns?

Anderson, do not apologize for your situation. Weare all quite concerned about you and All jounalists in Egypt.

This gunfire is not the military? (sorry, i came on the show a few minutes late).

February 2, 2011 at 10:08 pm |
  14. syeda

it is not fair, these are innocent people dying on streets in cairo.

February 2, 2011 at 10:08 pm |
  15. Cessy - Chicago

Anderson, No reason to apologize to us. I am greatful that people like you are paying attention to real news! Safety first!!!

February 2, 2011 at 10:07 pm |
  16. Sue R. Canton MI.

Good evening everyone.
    We apreciate all the "Great" coverage on the events taking place in Egypt, But I pray for the safety of Anderson ,his crew and all the journalist trying to cover this story.

February 2, 2011 at 10:07 pm |
  17. Emily

Are the "pro-Mubarak supporters" paid or do they really believe that he should stay in power?

February 2, 2011 at 10:07 pm |
  18. Nina

Stay safe Anderson and CNN crew!!!

February 2, 2011 at 10:06 pm |
  19. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

It is a shamed what is happening in Cairo. I think some other people are coming there and stirring up a mass of trouble.

February 2, 2011 at 10:06 pm |
  20. syeda

I agree with Lilly, where is UN?

February 2, 2011 at 10:06 pm |
  21. Chase

Scared for Anderson and the rest of the CNN team in Egypt. I wish all of you guys the best. Thank you for showing us the real story.

February 2, 2011 at 10:06 pm |
  22. cody

what a horrible event, I hope the president decides to resign soon to save lives, this is a really tragic event. 🙁 I wish there was someway that we here could help.

February 2, 2011 at 10:06 pm |
  23. Sue from Syracuse

ok.. now are there any leaders emerging yet? I mean in addition to El Baradei...

February 2, 2011 at 10:05 pm |
  24. syeda

I understand that there is a fear that if mubarak leaves there is a chance that extremists might take charge. But as we see, Egyptians are moderate people, the youth, students are pro peace. We need to get out of this fear and see what this 'moderate Mubarak' has done to youth of his country.

February 2, 2011 at 10:05 pm |
  25. Sue from Syracuse

I hope you folks wear safety vests.. you know the heavy duty kind from the army.. you all need that.

February 2, 2011 at 10:05 pm |
  26. Emily

I hope that Ivan is in a very safe place...it all looks so dangerous! How did things get so violent in less than 24 hours?
    Is this because after Mubarak said that he was not going to run again, that the Army no longer sees that there should be protests?

February 2, 2011 at 10:05 pm |
  27. Starr, formerly known as vincent

hello Anderson & Team 360 on the ground in Egypt.

Hello fellow bloggers.

The situation in Egypt is exactly what so many of us feared.

My thoughts and prayers for Everyone in Egypt tonight (AM there).

February 2, 2011 at 10:04 pm |
  28. Ralph ND

good evening anderson, keep your head down and do whatever you need to do to stay safe

February 2, 2011 at 10:04 pm |
  29. Sue from Syracuse

I am concerned that they are looking so angry this early in the morning.. Looks like this day is going to be bad.

February 2, 2011 at 10:04 pm |
  30. Cessy - Chicago

where is Ivan Watson reporting from in Egypt? I hope he's not out there!

February 2, 2011 at 10:04 pm |
  31. Hany

This is unhuman what's going on

February 2, 2011 at 10:04 pm |
  32. Hany

GOD please save Egypt

February 2, 2011 at 10:02 pm |
  33. Sue from Syracuse

The picture of people on camels and all these scenes ... it is like Nostradamus! This is history for the history books.

February 2, 2011 at 10:02 pm |
  34. Colleen

Inspiring. Scary. Please take care, Anderson and crew.

February 2, 2011 at 10:02 pm |
  35. lillly

where is the UN in all of these? why haven't we heard from them? Could this turn into another Bosnia?

February 2, 2011 at 10:02 pm |
  36. Lori

I hope Anderson, Ivan, and other CNN staff are safe. I feel so scared for them

February 2, 2011 at 10:02 pm |
  37. Cessy - Chicago

good evening all...

Be safe Anderson and AC360 crew! Finally heard from friends in Egypt there but it doesn't look like it's getting better. just be safe!

February 2, 2011 at 10:02 pm |
  38. syeda

Things in Egypt very fast.. there is no need of this voilance. It is only happening because this one person refuses to step down. and world is watching.

February 2, 2011 at 10:02 pm |
  39. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    Hi! What a terrible day. I hope you are ok–after the attack and with the ongoing tension. I pray for your continued safety. There clearly needs to be more anti-destructive leadership in Egypt.

February 2, 2011 at 10:02 pm |
  40. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Helloooo Anderson, Megan, Isha, Jane, Martina, Nicole, Kim, Emily, Gloria, Mike, Casey, Milan, Vivan, Gabriela, Cessy, Paula, Isabel, David-Indiana, JoAnn, Monica, Kathy, Jane, Gayle, Renee, Caroline, (Danie), Lori, (Adelaide), Heather, BettyAnn, Starr, Sharon, A. Smith, Devin, Karin, Dulcie, Michael, Karen, Miranda, Sree, Nancy, Sue, Kenya, Libby, Nina, Samantha, others and my friend Facebook & Twitter Bloggers!!!!

Oh my gosh, I was shocked Anderson attacked by mob I have seen this video!!!!Thank you God Anderson is safe now!!! 🙂

February 2, 2011 at 10:02 pm |
  41. Jasmine

I heard Anderson saying,"Insya Allah! Insya Allah!" The words mean "God willing". Anderson probably has to learn a few other Arabic words to get by in violent Egypt.

February 2, 2011 at 10:02 pm |
  42. Saleh

Thabnk you Anderson for all you do!!
    I wish you were around in 1979 Iraninan revolution. Please take care and know that we all appreciate you!

Greatly appreciate you,
    saleh in USA

February 2, 2011 at 10:02 pm |
  43. Sharon Hastings

Good evening Anderson. I am very worried for you and your team and all journalists over there. Now there is gunfire. I'm sick to hear it. Please stay safe Anderson. I've been riveted to the TV all day.

February 2, 2011 at 10:01 pm |
  44. Sue from Syracuse

Dear Anderson, I am so glad you are safe! You got beaten up today!! Worried here!

February 2, 2011 at 10:01 pm |
  45. Lori

Hi Anderson. Hi Everyone.

February 2, 2011 at 10:01 pm |
  46. Emily

Glad to see you safe inside, Anderson!
    (perhaps you should all come home!)

February 2, 2011 at 10:01 pm |
  47. syeda

We do not see any one leader talking to Mubarak.. no leadership or government is putting pressure on him.

February 2, 2011 at 10:00 pm |
  48. Lane

I am curious how widespread trouble is outside the Tahrir Square area. Are there areas where people are untouched by protests, looting and violence?

February 2, 2011 at 10:00 pm |
  49. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Good Evening Everyone! Greetings!

February 2, 2011 at 10:00 pm |
  50. Emily

Good evening Anderson, Isha, 360°Team, Jo Ann, Mike, Megan, Nicole, Gloria, Casey, Starr, Nina & Bloggers.
    I’m sorry to hear that you & your crew were attacked in Tahrir Square, Anderson.
    It looked very dangerous and violent with people throwing molotov cocktails; now gun fire.
    The winter storm here is nothing compared to the violence & unrest over there.

February 2, 2011 at 10:00 pm |