January 26th, 2011

9/11 Coin Scam?: Join the Live Chat

Tonight on 360°, accusations that a company is selling bogus 10th anniversary 9/11 commemorative coins. We're Keeping Them Honest. Plus the uproar over a theme park planned in Kentucky that will feature a full-size Noah's Ark. The state is reportedly giving tax breaks. The governor says it will create much needed jobs, but critics want to know where is the separation of church and state. Plus, tonight's other headlines.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

There is archeological evidence of a Flood. Speculation is that it was from a land barrier between the Mediterranean and Black Sea collapsing.

January 26, 2011 at 10:18 pm |
  2. Kelly - PA

Um, I thought Noah's Ark wasn't real? I grew up Catholic, and they never told us these stories weren't real. I guess it's like the Santa Claus and Easter Bunny thing.

January 26, 2011 at 10:18 pm |
  3. Nicole The Netherlands

If the taxpayer is contributing to keeping a zoo in a state or city open, or building a better zoo, I would understand.
    That's for everyone...

January 26, 2011 at 10:18 pm |
  4. CHARLIE

It is an interesting and emotional debate yes. It is also another example of how relying on a constitution distracts the US from competing in the modern world.

January 26, 2011 at 10:17 pm |
  5. Cathie

DearAnderson,
    My son and his wife are both Navy veterans, serving at the time of 9-11. When I saw the coins advertised before Christmas, I was going to buy one for each of them. I am glad I didn't. I will wait to honor their service by purchasing the real coins being released later this year. Thank you for "keeping them honest".

January 26, 2011 at 10:16 pm |
  6. Gene ODonnell

This is a consequence of the repeal of truth in advertising. It has been avoided because so many media outlets rely on infomercials and 'program length commercials'.

January 26, 2011 at 10:16 pm |
  7. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

Bible-Themed Amusement Park tax incentive.....hmmm... (thinking). Let's see who's on the board of directors and let's see their human rights policies.

January 26, 2011 at 10:15 pm |
  8. Emily

Yes Brennan – the FTC should do something

January 26, 2011 at 10:15 pm |
  9. CHARLIE

Jobs are good but they should be building something useful to competitiveness like infrastructure or education.

January 26, 2011 at 10:15 pm |
  10. Nick

The FTC never does anything much about this type of thing. Doubt they will do what should be done. Throw those people in jail.

January 26, 2011 at 10:15 pm |
  11. Cathy Grisham

2 important points to make about scams like this
    – they are targeted at a certain type of senior citizen who is more trusting (perhaps even affected by dementia)and apt to be taken in by these patriotic and sentimental type items. My father was victimized by these types of operations for years and lost thousands.
    – These ads run largely on cable channels because their proof standards are not the same as those upheld by the major networks ( I was in advertising for many years)

January 26, 2011 at 10:14 pm |
  12. Emily

@molly
    "...Bought from the Bank of N.S."
    The fact that they don't have such a line, like the one that you suggested above, is a huge red flag that they're a fraud. I think that they are using way too many 'official' sounding words in their ad to try and sell the coins.

January 26, 2011 at 10:14 pm |
  13. Kevin

Will Mr. Ham be genetically engineering any vegetarian dinosaurs to be placed on the ark?

January 26, 2011 at 10:13 pm |
  14. CHARLIE

The nonsense is not the biblical theme. It is that public money would be spend on a theme park.

January 26, 2011 at 10:13 pm |
  15. Heather - Spokane, WA

I have always hated those coin commercials

January 26, 2011 at 10:12 pm |
  16. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

I don't understand all this energy being expended on this issue by government representatives, etc. Why doesn't the Attorney General pursue this "coin" issue as fraud, or whatever law it may fall under, and move forward from there?

January 26, 2011 at 10:12 pm |
  17. Sue

I am an attorney and work for the federal government, and I bought into these ads. I believed that they were endorsed by the US Secret Service and FBI based on what they said. I am shocked they are in business. There are branding rights they do not have therefore to the FBI's insignia, but they are using it anyways. I almost bought one of these. Please shut them down, and recover all the funds. This is blatant consumer fraud.

January 26, 2011 at 10:11 pm |
  18. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

If they bought the gold and silver that was stored under Ground Zero, every statement they made is true. Has someone checked?

January 26, 2011 at 10:11 pm |
  19. Starr, formerly known as vincent

Thank you Anderson, for once again, showing us a deceptive advertisement and merchandise that is using 9/11 as a ploy to bring people into their business.

I collect coins and had considered this coin, however, i had reservations and did not purchase the item. Now i am very glad i followed my instincts. There was just something "hinky" about the advertisement.

I truly Hope they can be shut down, i can't see any reason why not?!
    Oh, and that's the other thing about this co., they now say in their advertisement that people should purchase asap to get the lowest # in the series.

January 26, 2011 at 10:10 pm |
  20. Paul

Charlie, the government's issue of commemorative are not going to be making the government money. They are going to be sold at cost plus $10. That $10 goes to 9/11 funds. The government will not profit whatsoever.

January 26, 2011 at 10:10 pm |
  21. molly

If they had proof they would include that in the ad, that is something along the lines of "...Bought from the Bank of N.S."

January 26, 2011 at 10:09 pm |
  22. Brennan

This is unbelievable! The FTC should remove these ads immediately because they are misleading and require the company run corrective advertisements.

January 26, 2011 at 10:09 pm |
  23. Emily

I remember the "freedom tower" coins...

January 26, 2011 at 10:09 pm |
  24. Paula, Colorado

Sounds like the company is more interested in marketing 9/11 rather than commemorating the day appropriately.

January 26, 2011 at 10:09 pm |
  25. lisal -canada

it can be good to provide things that are important or significant or meaningful to people – but to do so under fraudulent terms kind of taints the sentiment

January 26, 2011 at 10:08 pm |
  26. CHARLIE

The creepy part is that anyone would be more willling to buy a trinket based on the fact (or fiction) that it came from a murder scene.

January 26, 2011 at 10:08 pm |
  27. Nicole The Netherlands

Good Evening Anderson, AC360 Team, Emily, Jo Ann, Starr, Megan, Sharon, Heather, Gloria, Mike, David and Bloggers.

Thanks Anderson it makes me sick if people profit of the death and pain of others..
    They won't sell a coin I hope after tonight!
    These days it seems that´s how the world turns round from selling these coins till speculation with/on food prices...

January 26, 2011 at 10:08 pm |
  28. Jeff Bendell

I can't believe there are people in this country trying to profit fom one of the most horrific tragedies in our country. It's just sadistic and un American! These people should be ashamed of themselves, how can they call themselves Americans?

January 26, 2011 at 10:08 pm |
  29. Paul

I'm glad someone is FINALLY calling this company out on this scam.

January 26, 2011 at 10:08 pm |
  30. Allen Peyton

The 9/11 coin scam is shameful. Profitting off a tragedy is shameful.

January 26, 2011 at 10:08 pm |
  31. molly

Anyone can use the terms "National", "Official" and "Authentic". It means nothing. And what about the television and cable companies that are being paid to run the ads?

January 26, 2011 at 10:07 pm |
  32. Karen, MN

Hi Anderson and Everyone

January 26, 2011 at 10:07 pm |
  33. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Anderson,
    I agree with you along, Good point, I was so fooled by ads on scam!!!!!!!!! What a waste!

January 26, 2011 at 10:06 pm |
  34. Cessy - Chicago

No coins or any sort of medal should be made to "commemorate" 9/11. Lives were lost and people are trying to make a profit? I am disgusted.

January 26, 2011 at 10:06 pm |
  35. CHARLIE

Making money selling commemorative coins.
    So what? It appears the government plans to do the same.

January 26, 2011 at 10:06 pm |
  36. Heather - Spokane, WA

Evening Andersom and everyone, sorry I'm late! I knew those coins were scams! They are so cheesy looking and it doesnt make sense that they would find silver under where the Twin Towers were

January 26, 2011 at 10:06 pm |
  37. Emily

People always have to read the fine print of everything; as well as check the spelling of every word. There are many "official" sounding ad's, etc. yet their spelling is off by a few letters.

January 26, 2011 at 10:05 pm |
  38. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

Other than the unverified claim that the silver came from the WTC vaults, have they lied? Buyer beware applies.

January 26, 2011 at 10:04 pm |
  39. Emily

I'm surprised that there have not been more companies, that have tried to profit off the tragedy of 9/11.

January 26, 2011 at 10:03 pm |
  40. Lori

That is very small fine print.

January 26, 2011 at 10:03 pm |
  41. Sharon Hastings

Good evening Anderson and everyone. It seems like with every big event there are some kind of scams for profit. And wow, their commercial is very convincing!!

January 26, 2011 at 10:03 pm |
  42. Lori

I am fooled.

January 26, 2011 at 10:02 pm |
  43. Starr, formerly known as vincent

Good evening Anderson & Team 360.

Hello, Nichole, Nancy, Emily, JoAnn, Mike, Casey, Megan, Samantha, Nina, Sharon, Heather,...

January 26, 2011 at 10:02 pm |
  44. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    Hi! Sounds like some fascinating reports tonight.

January 26, 2011 at 10:02 pm |
  45. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Wow!!!!!Yes, That is scam coin!!!!!!!

January 26, 2011 at 10:02 pm |
  46. Cessy - Chicago

HELLO!!!! and good evening wonderful AC360 staff and fans!

Hi! Anderson 🙂

9/11 coins? TACKY.

January 26, 2011 at 10:02 pm |
  47. Emily

Good evening Anderson, Isha, 360°Team, Jo Ann, Mike, Megan, Nancy, Nicole, Gloria, Casey, Starr, Nina & Bloggers.

January 26, 2011 at 10:01 pm |
  48. Lori

Hi Anderson! Hi Everyone!

January 26, 2011 at 10:01 pm |
  49. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Good Evening Everyone! Greetings!

January 26, 2011 at 10:00 pm |
  50. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Helloooo Anderson, Megan, Isha, Jane, Martina, Nicole, Kim, Emily, Gloria, Mike, Casey, Milan, Vivan, Gabriela, Cessy, Paula, Isabel, David-Indiana, JoAnn, Monica, Kathy, Jane, Gayle, Renee, Caroline, (Danie), Lori, (Adelaide), Heather, BettyAnn, Starr, Sharon, A. Smith, Devin, Karin, Dulcie, Michael, Karen, Miranda, Sree, Nancy, Sue, Kenya, Libby, Nina, Samantha, others and my friend Facebook Bloggers!!!!
    Happy Wednesday night!!!