January 25th, 2011

State of the Union Speech, GOP & Tea Party Responses: Join the Live Chat

Tonight on a special edition of 360° at 11 p.m. ET, we'll have all the angles on Pres. Obama's State of the Union address and the response from the GOP and Tea Party. Plus, an update on Rep. Gabrielle Giffords condition.  A seat was symbolically left empty tonight in the House chamber in her honor.

Want more details on what covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: 360° Radar
  1. Cameron

First I wish the republican's response would be about the speech not what they have been saying all throughout the past years. The tea party continues their active distrust in the current government and continues to promote the idea. They show they will not reach across the isle to work problems out and will relentlessly try to kill any progress towards the future. As an Eagle Scout, i can see that no grass roots leader who cannot work with all their people in which they serve, then they could never be a good leader.
    I will finish with this
    A true leader does not have the community serve him or her but is only in service to the people

January 25, 2011 at 11:31 pm |
  2. Emily

@Jo Ann,
    "They should have all worn a ribbon as an expression of unity for Rep. Giffords and the other victims."
    I agree with you!
    I know that they were not all wearing them, yet most were. I think it was really insulting that Michelle Bachmann was not, as she gave a speech for 'The Tea Party'. I'm sure that many Tea Party supporters are wishing the best for Rep. Giffords, and other victims.

January 25, 2011 at 11:30 pm |
  3. Alex-FL-webstersDistrict

Lawrence Ari Fleischer your right, that fact is 52 months of jobs growth under Bush but also add that it was Government expansion or government jobs not private sectors jobs.

January 25, 2011 at 11:30 pm |
  4. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Gina,
    Thanks for correcting.... You're right!!!!!

January 25, 2011 at 11:30 pm |
  5. Wade

Ryan and Bachmann keep saying that The President's stimulus plan is wasteful spending that hasn't produced jobs. In any lower level macroeconomics class a student should learn that unemployment traditionally persists after a recession for a time roughly proportionate to the degree of the recession, probably more so for "The Great Recession". Plus, President Obama's stimulus plan, as they refer to it, has largely been orchestrated by Ben Bernanke, a widely respected scholar of The Great Depression. Republicans seem to have either not taken economics, or are assuming voters haven't.

January 25, 2011 at 11:30 pm |
  6. Chris B

I am sick of Dems and Repubs. What about the people that they are supposed to help? The Pres. tried to help us with a stimulus to get the ball rolling and all he got was negativity. Why don't all these concerned politicians give up some of their large paychecks and med. benefits and help reduce the deficit. How about each of them helping out some of the families here in Elkhart, IN. How about each of them adopt a family for one month and provide for them instead of acting like children would don't know how to share.

January 25, 2011 at 11:29 pm |
  7. Jim

The beginning of change. Who would of thought that parties would sit together at a state of union address. This alone, in this writers opinion is the most important and impressive part of the "tv show" tonight.

January 25, 2011 at 11:29 pm |
  8. Amy

Is it just me or was the republican response not only condesending and cold, but it was over-rehearsed down to his eyebrow movements! About halfway through, I thought that I'd accidently switched it to an infomercial where if I ordered in the next 5 minutes I would receive a free gift, all I have to pay is the processing and shipping... At least it wasn't the alarmist and incendiary remarks of the tea party. I just think that liberals should have had a rebuttal since two factions of the republican party got to respond!

January 25, 2011 at 11:29 pm |
  9. Jo Ann, Ohio

@Timothy Thomas, "People need to sit back and let the president do his job, thats the problem."

The problem is, he isn't doing it.

January 25, 2011 at 11:29 pm |
  10. Maygan

I don't understand why we keep bringing up the deficit when Obama didn't create most of it? If we are going to talk about deficit, we need to speak of everything pertinent to this administration. The Republican party created most of this deficit and they aren't owning it. They are rolling it all over to this administration and blaming them. We need to stop the arguing and finger pointing and come together and make some changes. Great changes that everyone can be proud of and wants.

January 25, 2011 at 11:29 pm |
  11. Jim

Obama gave a good speech. To me, the most remarkable part was a stated objective of restructuring government. That's a really needed policy to be executed. Just heard Yergin mention Social Security as something that needed to be including in addressing the deficit. That's completely wrong. SS is not in any trouble today– its forecast deficit is decades in the future and could be solved by increasing the income level to which SS deductions apply.

BTW government employment? Exec. branch is same # of employees as it was in 1972-73 & employment in all gov't (federal, state, local, etc) is same as mid-80s. Look it up!

January 25, 2011 at 11:29 pm |
  12. Todd Davis

As a moderate republican, i am disappointed in the direction of the party and as ari fleischer proves, this is another cycle of elections which are meaningless towards improvement in jobs and the advancement of our future. I am looking at a mirror when i saw ryan because he looked exactly like bush of 2000. michelle bachman is the republican geraldine ferraro. where is the direction and diplomacy?

January 25, 2011 at 11:29 pm |
  13. Nina

We have a GREAT President! Enough said, however, if most americans were blind and could not see the color of his skin, Pres. Barack Obama would be the greatest president we have ever had! All the arguing, bickering, and disrespect would have never happened. Two years have been wasted with disagreement and filibusters. America could have been on its feet by now had we all worked together.

January 25, 2011 at 11:28 pm |
  14. Richard Ferguson

How did we get in this mess in the first place,does anyone remember Wall Street?

January 25, 2011 at 11:28 pm |
  15. Candace

I am ashamed and appalled at the way our current government reminds me of an episode of "Bad Girls Club". There is bullying and lines being drawn in the sand, and I'm tired of it. Let's come together and work to bring back jobs, and the middle class, before both become a relic in some museum. Domesday prophecies don't impress me. Finding flaws in another's solution does not impress me. Using the combined intelligence of both parties to find solutions to modern problems will impress me.

January 25, 2011 at 11:28 pm |
  16. Janis

Hello everyone. I liked Obama's speech. I liked making congressional lobbying more transparent. I liked his idea of vetoing any bill that comes across his desk with earmarks. I liked his ideas on overhauling goverment duplication. Government jobs may be lost but if he can make government smaller that's a big deal. Simplyfing the tax code and taxing big business loopholes is a biggie for me also. Letting the wealthy tax reduction expire again is another good thing.
    Jobs are gone. They may never come back.

January 25, 2011 at 11:27 pm |
  17. Kelly, PA

Why do the cuts always have to come from education? Isn't discretionary spending only a small percentage of the budget.

January 25, 2011 at 11:27 pm |
  18. Tom Snowden

The middle class needs to wake up or take a permanent vow of poverty. The republicans have nothing but pain instore for the middle class and under priviledged.We can cut taxes for the wealthy who have not created jobs since the tax cut went into effect.

January 25, 2011 at 11:27 pm |
  19. Sara

I thought President Obama's SOTU speech was excellent. I can only hope that Congress pulls together after tonight and works for the country and not themselves.

I can't believe you even covered Michelle Bachman's speech tonight. The facts and figures she gave tonight were just off. Really sad.

January 25, 2011 at 11:27 pm |
  20. judy

I believe the president has done a good job at stating some of his plans for this country.I only pray that both parties will focus on the future of this country and get the job done, especially unemployment. Remember America is about all people, rich and poor, not only the rich. Do not fight the president on everything he is trying to fight for. As for health care republicans had 8 years to do something and did nothing. So let us move on. Remember he took over the country in this mess and he has kept some of his campaign promise. He can only do but ao much without the support of both Republicans and Democrats. The tea party needs to chill a bit they incite things the wrong way.

January 25, 2011 at 11:27 pm |
  21. Jo Ann, Ohio

@Emily, "It was great to so many wearing the ribbons for Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, including Republican Paul Ryan during his response."

January 25, 2011 at 11:26 pm |
  22. Emily

Sounds like both parties are afraid to talk (seriously) about the deficit. It encompasses topics like health care, social security, etc. which do not have easy answers.

January 25, 2011 at 11:26 pm |
  23. Greg

Tell Michelle Bachmann that Marines raised the flag at Iwo Jima, not GI's....

January 25, 2011 at 11:26 pm |
  24. Tom Murry

Thanks to Cornell for setting the record straight to Mr. Fleischer.

January 25, 2011 at 11:26 pm |
  25. Kaytee

Great speech, Mr. President.

January 25, 2011 at 11:26 pm |
  26. Timothy Thomas

People need to sit back and let the president do his job, thats the problem. Everyone is looking out for themselves. If we would take the time to help everyone esle just a little bit we'd get those returns in time.

January 25, 2011 at 11:26 pm |
  27. Bette

A great job by the President tonight. Ryan should have been listening! He is all about the wealthy and protecting their interests. I am ashamed to say I am from Wis. Michelle Bachman needs to get a job she understands!

January 25, 2011 at 11:26 pm |
  28. Nikki

How can entrepre/small business have growth in the private sector if the credit system is still broken. Banks are just not lending to new business owners so jobs can not be created. Also, there are too many people with new and almost poor credit in this country, solve that problem and jobs will come.

The President did a great job addressing our countries issues and presenting solutions.

January 25, 2011 at 11:25 pm |
  29. tyson cook

I think the GOP and the Tea Party need to start looking at themseleves when it comes to this government. They are quick to put all the bad things that the government has not done to make our government future better on the President. They need to put these things they said in both responses on themselves no on the President. Congress was the one that passed the things that the President wanted to change. As a nation we need to stop blaming eachother and do some Great Work as a team or a nation then blaming eachother and not looking at themselves for mistakes hurting this Great Nation.

January 25, 2011 at 11:25 pm |
  30. Filip

President Obama's state of the union was very good. What really resonated with me was the President's focus on Green Energy and the overall focus on investing into the future technologies. I thought it's great to say that we should end all oil subsidies in order to invest in the energy of the next 100 years. When Rep. Bachmann talked about more domestic energy production, I take that as the same old "let's drill more oil", which is directly opposite of what we should be focusing on in my opinion. Overall, I feel like the responses from the GOP and Tea Party are riding on the same old party lines and ideals. I think it's time for the country to let go of party lines because only then will we be able to actually achieve true growth and improvement built on stable foundations that will last for years to come.

January 25, 2011 at 11:25 pm |
  31. Vashdie Rogers

Good Evening Anderson Cooper and the whole 360 team and fellow citizens.

I thought the President had a great speech. It was inspirational and even put the idea of becoming a teacher as something for me to consider. Since Kindergarten, we have been taught that working together always deliver optimal results. If Republicans and Democrats work together, I think they can deliver the results that America needs. As for Paul Ryan's speech and Michele Bachmann's speech, I felt like it was the same old Republican banter; constant negativity about what Democrats are doing as opposed to providing ways that both parties can work together. My mistake, I guess its three parties now. What is up with that?

January 25, 2011 at 11:25 pm |
  32. jean

why is it that all these congress people keep implying that it's president obama who got us in to this mess. are you kidding. stop blaming or blame the correct admid. (republicans) and start getting this country back.

January 25, 2011 at 11:25 pm |
  33. Enmanuel Sanchez

For the Rep. to talk about the economy and Debt.... Really.. Where were they during the last 8 years of Bush? Did Obama walked into office with a huge surplus? Ohh they talk about unemployment now.. As the president said... Time has change and we must do so to be #1 again......

January 25, 2011 at 11:25 pm |
  34. Simone (Canada)

I found President Obama's speech very clear and to the point of the issues the US facrs, I yawned through Ryan's speech and laughed thru Bachman's as she couldn't even find the right camera as well as rambled off a bunch of stats, I'm embarassed for her ,,,but still laughing. I truly only wish the best for the US, our neighbours.

January 25, 2011 at 11:24 pm |
  35. Eric Mrozek

I tend to think that this generation in power, especially the Tea Party, right now doesn't actually care about the influx of debt that my generation will be inheriting.

The simplest way to fix this problem is to pay up, but it seems like everyone is going by one simple motto.

Children are our future, but today belongs to me!

The tone I got from the Republican addresses is one of doom and gloom without the idea that we all need to make a shared sacrifice if we actually care about the deficit or debt. We need to raise taxes and cut spending.

January 25, 2011 at 11:24 pm |
  36. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

Love the fact that Pres Obama refered to this time as a turning point. we must find alternative fuel and jump start America again with creative jobs and a new path. I'll bet the horse breeders were resistant about the invention of cars. The oil and gas may have to be creative and open to solar and alternative energy. I hope we can accomplish this task. Our country depends on it.

January 25, 2011 at 11:24 pm |
  37. Fadhel

As a Tunisian American, I am proud of our president to even mention Tunisia in his state of the Union. This indicates the commitments of the US to spread democracy around the world. Supporting dictatorships to combat Islamic Jihadists is no longer a viable strategy.
    Cheers

January 25, 2011 at 11:24 pm |
  38. Vanessa

Bachman's speach really bothered me. I know some people liked the fact that she "kept it short" and "got to the key points", but to me it just sounded like more Tea Party sound bites. I didn't like them when I heard them the first time, so I don't need them repeated.

January 25, 2011 at 11:24 pm |
  39. Kevin

The President represemts the only political party that has offered a solution to the American people. Working together is the only way to reduce the deficit and ensure prosperity.

January 25, 2011 at 11:24 pm |
  40. Rene Labadens

As an 'Ex-Democrat', now a Conservative, Grassroots common sense
    American, only should me that after losing big in last year's Nov mid-
    term elections that he 'may' be moving to the middle because of what
    'We the People..' expect from our elected officials no matter what party
    they belong to! He had 2-years to keep his so-called campaign pledges
    which we not, and now, the 'Silent Majority' (Grassroots) has spoken up
    with the results obvious after last Nov.

January 25, 2011 at 11:23 pm |
  41. Carolyn

The president is way ahead of this country, the Republicans and the talking heads; hope he doesn't get bored when we finally come around to seeing his extremely clear vision.

January 25, 2011 at 11:23 pm |
  42. Starr, formerly known as vincent

@Emily – i didn't notice i didn't notice
    Bachmann's lack of ribbon for Gabby.

Thanks for pointing that out....it gives a very bad impression and makes her look as if she is the Only Congress woman who matters.

I agree with the gentleman on the panel who pointed out that having 2 Rep. responses- especially the tea party one.
    I disagree with David G. for the first time i can remember. (sad)

January 25, 2011 at 11:23 pm |
  43. Robert Moody

Amazing the willful ignorance of history. You cannot take 8 years to rip an economy apart with wars, allowing dishonesty in commerce to rape the personal welfare of the middle class and poor and then blame a new president for repairing everything in 8 months to 2 years. It is absurd but people will latch onto it simply because of the party affiliation and speaker presentation. Sad.

January 25, 2011 at 11:23 pm |
  44. chris

From outside the U.S. The Presidents was full of hope and working togher to achieve. The response from the Official repubulican party was good, slightly political, but liveable. The tea party response was so clearly political, so clearly partisan that it showed the parochial nature of politics rather than the long term goal and vision.

January 25, 2011 at 11:23 pm |
  45. Juan

I think President Obama was on point with how society runs nowadays. From noticing the Generals failing to stand up when he mentioned gays joining the military to health care heads staring blankly, I was very pleased with the buttons President Obama pushed and the challenges he placed on ALL of us as Americans.

January 25, 2011 at 11:23 pm |
  46. Patti

I liked the fact that the responses (applause) were a little subdued due to the mingling of the parties. I didn't feel the extreme outbursts, but rather a more even-handed show of support for the issues. it felt more reasonable to me and more mature. I hope that, as a country, we can start to do this same thing......to stop being so loud and dramatic and instead be more thoughtful and pragmatic.

January 25, 2011 at 11:23 pm |
  47. Evelyn

I thought the President hit on some great points tonight. It was a positive speech, and motivating. It was annoying, however, to hear the tea party response- I'm ready for people to start working together- not divided!

January 25, 2011 at 11:23 pm |
  48. Chad

Don't understand how so many people in this country are blinded by the Republicans. Why can they not see that are not for the middle class people?

January 25, 2011 at 11:22 pm |
  49. John S

I don't get it. All I heard was a self serving partisan serving up republican doom and gloom and bashing the opposing party. This guy is the intellegence of the republican party? His ideas are simplistic and will impact those most vulnerable harshly. He talks of an american government that essentially leaves everyone to fend for themselves. Then you have the completely clueless tea party speaker with her I don't even know where to begin, except to say, if she represents tea party thinking god help us!

January 25, 2011 at 11:22 pm |
  50. alan

Want jobs here Stop buying overseas products

January 25, 2011 at 11:22 pm |