January 25th, 2011

State of the Union Speech, GOP & Tea Party Responses: Join the Live Chat

Tonight on a special edition of 360° at 11 p.m. ET, we'll have all the angles on Pres. Obama's State of the Union address and the response from the GOP and Tea Party. Plus, an update on Rep. Gabrielle Giffords condition.  A seat was symbolically left empty tonight in the House chamber in her honor.

Want more details on what covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: 360° Radar
  1. Claire Splan

Michelle Bachman sounded like she was reading a bedtime story to her kids with Pres. Obama starring as the big bad wolf. The only thing that was missing was "...and they all lived happily ever after now that the Tea Party has come to the rescue." Get real!

January 25, 2011 at 11:22 pm |
  2. Jo Ann, Ohio

Rep. Paul Ryan gave the official response, not Michelle Bachmann. Her response was totally unnecessary.

January 25, 2011 at 11:22 pm |
  3. Corey

Obama's words were so much more meaningful to me. Obama shared the blame, Bachmann just focused on blaming Obama and the Democrats for the financial crisis, and compared unemployment under Obama's presidency to that of Bush's. Try comparing Bill Clinton and George W. Bush! Keep her honest!

January 25, 2011 at 11:22 pm |
  4. Ben: Foster City, CA

Obama gave another great speech with impeccable rhetoric and timing. Unfortunately his inability to really drive his deficit reduction plan home leads me to rate his speech a 7 out of 10. He needed an 8.

January 25, 2011 at 11:22 pm |
  5. Stanley Nunn

A well articulated address by a good president aspiring to be great.

The Republicans are not soley responsible for this mess, but they seem to want to stay here. If the President's plans fail and you have no plan, then we all fail.

Keep fighting for our nation mr. President.

Semper Fi

January 25, 2011 at 11:21 pm |
  6. Sue

Moving call to every American to take responsibility to reinvent ourselves and forget the past. The best State of the Union Speech ever in all respects.

January 25, 2011 at 11:21 pm |
  7. randy

Nice pep talk by the president. No substance. Great teaparty response,

January 25, 2011 at 11:21 pm |
  8. Kelly, PA

Rep Ryan does connect with the viewers.

January 25, 2011 at 11:21 pm |
  9. Thomas-MD

I think we have clearly seen that the Republican's have an extremely short term memory. Although I applaud Rep Ryan's attempt to smooth the blame, I felt both responses were as if the republicans wrote a brand new text book about the last 10 years, and re-wrote history. Obama's not the problem, Republican spending was, and now he's stuck cleaning up the mess. He's the coach that inherited the worst team in baseball.

January 25, 2011 at 11:21 pm |
  10. Ferne

Tea party needs to take more accountability for the economy instead of playing blame game.

January 25, 2011 at 11:21 pm |
  11. Layne

@Gina, I totally agree. She couldn't address the American people. And to think, Pres. Obama was talked about using his teleprompter...

January 25, 2011 at 11:21 pm |
  12. Linda

I don't think that Paul Ryan even listened to President O'Bama's speech. He was making the same points....is this just disagreement just for the sake of disagreement?

January 25, 2011 at 11:21 pm |
  13. DEBORAH LOVE

Nothing in the speech I hadn't already heard. He did not mention the poor nor the middle class. I was disappointed that he did not acknowledge anyone in the audience that looks like me. I am an African American. My vote will not be automatic in 2012.

January 25, 2011 at 11:21 pm |
  14. Dyonne

Michele Bachmann,how is it possible for a regular american to 'simply' buy whatever health care they want! It sounds like 'freedom' but its not freedom if you don't have the resources necessary to do so!

January 25, 2011 at 11:21 pm |
  15. Emily

@Chris Sellers,
    I think that the majority of the people want both parties to get to work. I wonder if they know that 'the people' want that? (Do they care, unless of course, it's right before the election)

January 25, 2011 at 11:21 pm |
  16. thomas

I find it comical that Obama and 'others' continue to say that america is the best Country in the world. I feel that a revision with the word 'one' added before best Country in the world would make some more sense.

January 25, 2011 at 11:20 pm |
  17. Dayna

The fact that the Republicans had two responses to the speech goes to show that their party is in flux and trouble. If they can't work together within their own party, how can they ever work together with the Dems?

January 25, 2011 at 11:20 pm |
  18. Kay Bridger-Riley

Maybe low key, but as he was walking out I had this amazing feeling of hope, a surprising belief that maybe there could be some cooperation in Congress, .... then comes the response.... same ole, same ole. What a downer!!!

January 25, 2011 at 11:20 pm |
  19. Jo Ann, Ohio

Obama mentioned a freeze on spending, but didn't he propose a three year freeze on spending last year that never happened?

January 25, 2011 at 11:20 pm |
  20. Chi

Evening AC and AC360,

I am asking this with a limited understanding of politics. If we talk about jobs, is it true that only with the support of Republicans can the president can solve the problem as we know who republicans represent? Sorry if I make an inappropriate question.

January 25, 2011 at 11:20 pm |
  21. adele

How come the Republicans get TWO responses. And never admit that when they took over the government there was no deficit. We must compete, which means investing infrastructure so we can move goods and ideas quickly.

January 25, 2011 at 11:20 pm |
  22. Phillip Andrews

Republican party devoid of Ideas. All they know is cut taxes. Their spending and tax cuts under Bush created the deficit mess in which we currently find ourselves. They can't even do simple math that would show them that they don't have the votes to repeal Obamacare.

January 25, 2011 at 11:20 pm |
  23. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    Hi! Your discussion of Pres. Obama's speech is fascinating. I thought the Address was great –though I understand the immediate need for positive results in his administration. The Rep. responses were somewhat lame.

January 25, 2011 at 11:20 pm |
  24. alan

You know I am tired of hearing obama talking about creating jobs. Why doesn't he work hard on keeping the ones we have. (Good paying jobs not mcdee's etc at min.)WE are loosing too many of them to overseas for profits. He sholud be talking about buying American products and how we can get these products back

January 25, 2011 at 11:20 pm |
  25. James

I was not impressed with President Obama's address. I was more impressed with Michele Bachman's response with facts and figures – right to the point.

January 25, 2011 at 11:20 pm |
  26. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Yes, Star...... Ari is wrong......Second State of the Union.........

Yes!!! I am so confusing right now Michelle was so flat wrong facts as well.

January 25, 2011 at 11:20 pm |
  27. Jackie

Can not the blame for a great number of American jobs lost be directed at the many American companies who shipped those jobs to Mexico, China, India etc ? American companies robbing Americans of their jobs. Shameful. I never hear this addressed.

January 25, 2011 at 11:19 pm |
  28. Eric Mrozek

To Anderson Cooper and Co.:

I keep wondering why Michele Bachmann and the Tea Party are even taken seriously anymore.

Why do Republicans keep insisting on promoting these lies and sales pitches when the facts disagree with them? For example, the notion that the Health Care Law is going to explode the deficit when many non-partisan organizations flat out disagree?

January 25, 2011 at 11:19 pm |
  29. Michael

Michelle Bachman's speech step over some lines without pointing the blame at anyone but Obama. Secondly, she forgets that congress passed that bill. lastly, everyone is to blame for the problem we now face and not just Democrats or Republicans.

January 25, 2011 at 11:19 pm |
  30. Chris Sellers

I agree with some points of both parties.. but I think the most important issue is getting the parties to work together... NOTHING will ever get done as long as the two parties are busy playing the politics game..

January 25, 2011 at 11:18 pm |
  31. Emily

It was great to so many wearing the ribbons for Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, including Republican Paul Ryan during his response. I noticed that Michelle Bachmann was not wearing one...I guess it would have clashed with her outfit.

January 25, 2011 at 11:17 pm |
  32. Lisa Bear

Congressman Ryan, didn't you hear the Prez say he was wanting to make Gov't smaller by decreasing all the agencies that oversee many similar entities? Ummmm, HELLO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Listen Man, Listen!

January 25, 2011 at 11:17 pm |
  33. Cessy - Chicago

hello and good evening!!!

issue of education was a GO for me... not so convince about the job creation situation. felt like I've heard most of what he said tonight before. how about those debts?

January 25, 2011 at 11:17 pm |
  34. Starr, formerly known as vincent

Ari may be wrong,i think this is Obama's 2nd State of the Union speech.

I found Ms. Bachman's speech confusing and accusatory. If there were "facts" in her presentation, they were lost on me.

January 25, 2011 at 11:15 pm |
  35. Robert

Please point out that Michelle Bachman's pretty graph did not include 2008. Now I wonder why the tea party would not want to include this year... Press. Bush's last year

January 25, 2011 at 11:14 pm |
  36. Bernadine Conley-Hetler

The perfect State of the Union speech - where we've been, where we are and where we need to go.

if you stand back and look at President Obama's actions for the last three months, he has gone from an errant Congressman having the gall to yell "liar," during a speech to Republicans and Democrats sitting together at the State of the Union speech. Well done Mr. President.

January 25, 2011 at 11:14 pm |
  37. Renee

Did President Obama snub Hiliary Clinton after his speech?

January 25, 2011 at 11:14 pm |
  38. Kelly, PA

I really liked the speech. He did touch on items that both sides value, and reminded us that we all have a shared value as Americans.

We can never quantify how the stimulus saved us from deeper depression. Let's move on,

January 25, 2011 at 11:14 pm |
  39. Dyonne

The state was in debts before the Obama government. Obama cannot work magic and suddenly stop the continuos trend.

January 25, 2011 at 11:12 pm |
  40. Mark Baeder

Budget includes war cost
    Health bill creating jobs not destroying
    Rupublicans want to continue tax for wealthy
    Buisness effective tax rate vs. actual $
    Stimulus prevented worse depression
    Loans to corps. are being paid back
    Stock 7000 up to 12000

January 25, 2011 at 11:12 pm |
  41. Emily

@Gina Bennett,
    "Why did Michele Bachmann not look at the camera when she spoke?"
    Perhaps she was reading a script...
    I think that slide show presentation that Michele Bachmann put on was also very strange, going back to WWII, etc.

January 25, 2011 at 11:12 pm |
  42. Starr, formerly known as vincent

Good evening Anderson & Team 360.

Hello, Nichole, Nancy, Emily, JoAnn, Mike, Casey,Samantha, Nina,Sharon, Heather....everyone.

I thought the President was the grown up in the room – good speech, covered a lot of issues. I did not expect details on the deficit as there will be many, many ideas on how to do that.
    Republicans look like they want to play "hard ball" and still blame Obama (except the formal Republican response who shared blame).

January 25, 2011 at 11:11 pm |
  43. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I don't watch Michelle Bachman, she is flat wrong speech as well...... I can't think what she had to say...... very strange.

January 25, 2011 at 11:11 pm |
  44. Angel

I think the President laid on the table what the American people want and need and that is change in whatever doesn't work anymore and improvement in education for our future. It is unacceptable and frightening that we rate 9th in the world for education of our population.

January 25, 2011 at 11:11 pm |
  45. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Hey everyone!!!
    I think that our president Obama is good speech tonight. 🙂 I give him grade B+!

January 25, 2011 at 11:09 pm |
  46. Emily

Good evening Anderson, Isha, 360°Team, Jo Ann, Mike, Megan, Nancy, Nicole, Gloria, Casey, Starr, Nina & Bloggers.

Interesting that there were two responses; I wonder if that's going to hurt the Official Republican response as more will be talking about the one by The Tea Party?

January 25, 2011 at 11:09 pm |
  47. Gail

Obama great as always. Could only improve by stopping wars today. Repubs weak and w/out ideas, and tea party crazy as usual.

January 25, 2011 at 11:09 pm |
  48. Gina Bennett

Why did Michele Bachmann not look at the camera when she spoke? It was really weird to watch.

January 25, 2011 at 11:09 pm |
  49. sandra frye

Bachman's speech, so three months after Obama took office he was supposed to have changed this whole 8 year mess around. Does any one in the Tea Party have any intelligence?

January 25, 2011 at 11:08 pm |
  50. zak

It seems the republicans are still playing the blame game. Like what Pres Obama said throughout his speech, both sides need to work together to get through these tough times.

January 25, 2011 at 11:07 pm |