January 21st, 2011

Keith Olbermann out of a job: Join the live chat

Breaking news tonight, Keith Olbermann has ended his show "Countdown with Keith Olbermann" with MSNBC.  We've got all the TV insiders to talk about the developments, and much more in the program.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: 360° Radar • Live Blog
  1. CHARLIE

Number 5? Rock and roll was 60 years ago.
    I doupt USA would make the top 100 in a real survey.

January 21, 2011 at 10:42 pm |
  2. Carol

My husband and I will miss Keith. His was a voice of wit, reason, intelligence and insight. I didn't always agree with him but I could always depend on him to make me think and do my own research and reading on the subject. We will be watching for him to return and continue to speak for so many liberal Americans.

January 21, 2011 at 10:42 pm |
  3. Laura, KY

@Kaytee I agree with everything you've said.

It's a shame that Keith won't be around to try to balance out all of the crap that comes from Fox News. I can't watch that channel for more than 2 minutes without my blood pressure rising.

January 21, 2011 at 10:41 pm |
  4. joe

like keith says. "good night and good luck" we're gonna need it

January 21, 2011 at 10:41 pm |
  5. jerry

MSNBC's entire prime time schedule are full of left leaning commentators!
    MSNBC is to the left as FOX is to the right!
    If Olbermann is replaced with a show to balance the network, it will be a plus for everyone.

January 21, 2011 at 10:41 pm |
  6. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I don't like it to sell the sex..... That's outrage I have seen!

January 21, 2011 at 10:40 pm |
  7. todd

Seems to me that Olbermann might be the missing pc to a winning CNN line up. Just a thought.

January 21, 2011 at 10:40 pm |
  8. Nina

being sold as a child sex slave will create a trauma deep within the psyche of each individual for her entire lifetime. How tragic!

January 21, 2011 at 10:40 pm |
  9. Emily

What kind of Male goes to a place like that brothel?

January 21, 2011 at 10:40 pm |
  10. James

I'm in shock about Keith. It is the only reason I watched MSNBC. Now who is going to counter the rhetoric put out by Fox?

January 21, 2011 at 10:39 pm |
  11. Casey Jones - Las Vegas, NV

In the very broad picture, I don't have an issue with prostitution, as a business. I have a problem however with the idea of a man running this business, as opposed to a woman running the business. Maybe that's just a stupid notion. AND, where are the male prostitutes?

January 21, 2011 at 10:39 pm |
  12. Greg

This is sad. I like CNN, but I loved the Olbermann show. Bye Keith.

January 21, 2011 at 10:39 pm |
  13. Emily

@Lori,
    There are different laws in Las Vegas...

January 21, 2011 at 10:39 pm |
  14. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

@Lori, prostitution is legal in parts of Neveda.

January 21, 2011 at 10:39 pm |
  15. Jane - WI

It's amazing that Keith Olbermann has finally gotten too radical even for the perpetually extreme MSNBC.

January 21, 2011 at 10:39 pm |
  16. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

@Kaybee, your opinion of Rush is matched by my opinion of Olbermann.

January 21, 2011 at 10:38 pm |
  17. Heather - Spokane, WA

Dennis Hof says he doesn't like pimps, but he is one! He sells these women for profit, legal or not, free will or not, he is still making a profit from it

January 21, 2011 at 10:38 pm |
  18. Lori

Why is the Moonlight Bunny Ranch legal?

January 21, 2011 at 10:37 pm |
  19. Kaytee

@ CHARLIE

So true. They do have a much better propaganda machine.

January 21, 2011 at 10:36 pm |
  20. Emily

It story makes me sick!
    Selling young girls...and in a "legal" brothel?
    It would be interesting to see who goes in and out of that place.

January 21, 2011 at 10:36 pm |
  21. connie

Too little...too late for MSNBC.

January 21, 2011 at 10:36 pm |
  22. karen

Keith was one of a very few braodcasters that really spoke the truth...... This is really sad!!!

January 21, 2011 at 10:35 pm |
  23. Sally Thomson

Hate talk is hate talk whether it is done articulately or not. We should get rid from the left or the right so Keith's departure is a good thing.

January 21, 2011 at 10:35 pm |
  24. Gayle

Comcast and it's major dealings for us to hear the only voice of reason? Yeah right, no more MSNBC in my household as well as NBC, even my beloved Saturday Night Live are all being taken away by the "right" media. Be aware that we soon will be watching only what "they" want us to see. Good Luck Keith, is Rachel far behind?

January 21, 2011 at 10:35 pm |
  25. Kaytee

Keith was very outspoken and liberal. He was not nasty, racist, or hateful in any way. He did call out any republican he thought was wrong and would not let up. But he did not preach lies as truths they way some on the other side do. That is not vitriol, its just extremely one sided. He has helped raised millions for health clinics and families in need. He's a very intelligent and articulate man, something the right hates.

January 21, 2011 at 10:34 pm |
  26. CHARLIE

Olderman has nowhere near the international recogntion of people like Beck. ref story a couple of night ago. The right wing have a much better propaganda machine.

January 21, 2011 at 10:34 pm |
  27. Hank

Thanks Keith, for your years of a correct balance to Faux News. YOU WILL BE MISSED.
    Hope to see you soon. Hnk

January 21, 2011 at 10:33 pm |
  28. Karen, MN

Why do we even make laws when they seem to be repealed? Seem like a waste of time and money. How frustrating for the people who worked so hard to get the law passed in the first place.

January 21, 2011 at 10:33 pm |
  29. Louise

One might think that if speaking out explicitly were frowned on, then Mr. "Shoot them in the head" would have been taken off the air this week instead of the guy who apologized profusely for his vaguely threatening comments about Hillary Clinton two years ago which were never more than innocuous.

January 21, 2011 at 10:32 pm |
  30. Linda

Keith Olbermann had great intelligence, wit and compassion. He was the voice of reason in the world of communication.

January 21, 2011 at 10:32 pm |
  31. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Whoa!!!!! For 2 millions give DTAT!!!! Wow!

January 21, 2011 at 10:32 pm |
  32. joe

look out progressives. your voices will be silenced

January 21, 2011 at 10:31 pm |
  33. Jackson

The only decent programs on MSNBC were Olbermann and Lockup: Raw, guess no more prime time MSNBC for me, lol.

January 21, 2011 at 10:31 pm |
  34. Sharon Hastings

Nothing surprises me any more about the cost of doing anything in our country.

January 21, 2011 at 10:31 pm |
  35. CHARLIE

The discussion is a relic from the 1950/60s. This is 2011 in the rest of the world.

January 21, 2011 at 10:31 pm |
  36. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

$200M over 5 years is nothing compared to an annual defense budget of $700 billion. It was avoidable. That's the 'don't tell' part.

January 21, 2011 at 10:31 pm |
  37. Bill

Can't believe MSNBC would let Keith go. In this day and age when lieing and propaganda to the American public seems to be acceptable Keith always gave us the truth. Many times I would research his reporting with voting records etc. and he was right on with what he said.
    Very sad day for professional journalism.

January 21, 2011 at 10:31 pm |
  38. Jean Giffin

Keith, you explained politics in a way I could understand. I have watched and "listened" to you since 2004. You have had and will continue to have my complete respect for your professionalism and the compassion you show for those in need. You endured more than your share of frustration during your tenure, and know that we are all waiting to hear from you again. Your mother and father are smiling down on you and we all love you. Good luck!!!!

January 21, 2011 at 10:30 pm |
  39. Gene

It's shocking to hear that Keith Olbermann is leaving MSNBC.He is one absolutely Intelligent,witty and yet fair anchorman for that network.I don't care what stupid politics is involved in MSNBC's decision, BUT one thing is for sure: I cannot imagine MSNBC news without Keith's countdown and so I and my entire countdown-loving family are also OUT!

January 21, 2011 at 10:30 pm |
  40. millie

keith olbermann is one of the few broadcasters on television who is not afraid to speak his mind (and often our minds), and i suspect he will continue to do so under any management, which i look forward to again someday. good for him and ultimately good for us. we need more out there like him in a sea of puppets being dangled by the strings of big corporations.

January 21, 2011 at 10:29 pm |
  41. Emily

What about the cost of overturning this, and not just financial costs?

January 21, 2011 at 10:29 pm |
  42. CHARLIE

The policy was ridicualus but the dollar costs are insignificant in the frame of US military spending.

January 21, 2011 at 10:29 pm |
  43. Pat

I suggest that MSNBC switch its programming to Lockdown (or whatever that jail show is called) 24/7. Why pretend to be in the business of serious commentary?

January 21, 2011 at 10:29 pm |
  44. Eliza

The marketplace gives us many options. In the old days we only had three networks to choose from. I disagree with Olbermanns views but I I have. No desire to see him off the air.

January 21, 2011 at 10:28 pm |
  45. Nina

I would like to see a cost analysis for the $200+ million dollars

January 21, 2011 at 10:28 pm |
  46. Cody Marley

My mother didn't like Keith Olbermann "throwing all those papers" because somebody had to clean it up.
    (but she liked him)

January 21, 2011 at 10:28 pm |
  47. Jessica Helterman

I think it's real shame they couldn't come to sone sort of agreement with Olberman for his show to continue...my dad really enjoyed the show...

January 21, 2011 at 10:28 pm |
  48. Jackson

MSNBC already leans right so they'll probably turn into Junior Fox News.

January 21, 2011 at 10:27 pm |
  49. Neal

Keith was the reason MSNBC was my default setting on my (ironically) Comcast receiver. I will now look for a new default – but if Keith re-appears somewhere, that's where my new default will be!

January 21, 2011 at 10:27 pm |