January 21st, 2011

Keith Olbermann out of a job: Join the live chat

Breaking news tonight, Keith Olbermann has ended his show "Countdown with Keith Olbermann" with MSNBC.  We've got all the TV insiders to talk about the developments, and much more in the program.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: 360° Radar • Live Blog
  1. Heather - Spokane, WA

If the reason for Olbermann's leave was in fact his controversal talk, then why are people like Limbaugh still on the air?

January 21, 2011 at 10:27 pm |
  2. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

@Kaylee, he went too far EVERY night. I could never watch more than 5 minutes of his continuous attacks without turning him off in total disgust. The way liberals feel about Rush is the way I felt about Olbermann.

January 21, 2011 at 10:27 pm |
  3. Kaytee

Never missed a Keith Olberman show. Its just sad that we can't have one outspoken liberal, but you can't get those hate spewing Faux News people or right wing radio idiots off the air. Heck you can't even get them to feel one ounce of shame for their hatred, nevermind an apology.

January 21, 2011 at 10:26 pm |
  4. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

That why I always watch CNN all day than MSNBC or Fox, including AC 360! 🙂

January 21, 2011 at 10:26 pm |
  5. Dennis

Why would a network cancel their highest-rated show? There has to be more here – no network boss ever goes against the ratings game unless there is a much bigger motive (lawsuit, corporate buyout, ownership decides on a complete shift). This is made even more pronounced by the fact it was in the middle of (a) that show's airing and (b) the middle of the host's contract. And moving Ed to the 10pm slot? Some high-level executive is attempting to kill the network in a quick and deadly way. This has all the hallmarks of an "agreement" with the new Comcast bosses.

January 21, 2011 at 10:25 pm |
  6. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

It's not like he can't get back on the "horse of broadcasting!"

January 21, 2011 at 10:25 pm |
  7. Judith

I was shocked when I heard Keith say tonight would be the last Countdown and now sad to realize it truly will be the last one. He is honest, forceful, and also funny in presenting his views. I might not always agree with his position, but I enjoyed the presentation.

I look forward to the next chapter of Keith Olbermann.

January 21, 2011 at 10:25 pm |
  8. Emily

As everyone has been talking about this, I have to wonder if this is a stunt by MSNBC... looking to get ratings, attention, etc? I wonder if Olbermann will infact make another return to MSNBC in a short time? I don't watch him, however, it would be interesting if this was a ploy by MSNBC & Olbermann.

January 21, 2011 at 10:24 pm |
  9. Kaytee

"Olbermann was as biased and radical for the left as Limbaugh for the right."

Yet Limbaugh is still out there...not just being biased and radical, but racist and hateful.

January 21, 2011 at 10:24 pm |
  10. Jenny

Keith is a very angry man...he needs some rest and reflection.

January 21, 2011 at 10:24 pm |
  11. Pat

I could see keeping Keith off the air if he walked out on his contract, but how can they fire him and insist he not work in his field? Isn't that anti-trust?

January 21, 2011 at 10:23 pm |
  12. CHARLIE

@ Lisai. Not the same thing.
    In his rarified world but you can bet he is going to get fully paid and maybe even contract breajages payments in addition.
    In the real world of the tech industry when your contract is terminated you don't get paid any more.

January 21, 2011 at 10:23 pm |
  13. Elise

I don't think Keith was as mercurial and volatile as Velshi suggests, with all due respect.

January 21, 2011 at 10:23 pm |
  14. Dale

Msnbc has lost me as a viewer,I will start watching more C-Span and more searching on the internet,Olbermann was the best.

January 21, 2011 at 10:23 pm |
  15. Emily

Really surprised by this. Will anyone else give the insightful "special comment" that Keith did? I will really miss him and those comments.

January 21, 2011 at 10:22 pm |
  16. Maria

Love his sarcasm, sense of humor straight way of giving and discussing the political news. I definitely will not watch the 8PM show. I know he will be fine can't wait to see what is next for him.

January 21, 2011 at 10:22 pm |
  17. Paul

I watched Olbermann nightly for the last 8 years. Found his command of issues and dry wit to be both informative and entertaining. Sorry to see him go, but know he will be back somewhere, hopefully soon.

January 21, 2011 at 10:22 pm |
  18. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Karen at MN....
    I don't either watch MSNBC or Keith Olbermann as now.

January 21, 2011 at 10:22 pm |
  19. Chia

Keith Olbermann is one of the few progressive voice remaining in mainstream media right now. If MSNBC/Comcast oust Rachel Maddow, it will be the death of the progressive voice on broadcast.

January 21, 2011 at 10:22 pm |
  20. Karin

Countdown is the only show I watched on MSNBC, otherwise I watch CNN. I'll miss his well-educated, articulate dialog.

January 21, 2011 at 10:22 pm |
  21. Lori

This sounds like a very complicated situation for Mr. Olbermann.

January 21, 2011 at 10:22 pm |
  22. Tom (New Hampshire)

I didn't care for him, nor do I care for the Fox stuff. BUT, I am curious as to who will replace him. Any ideas who that would be?

January 21, 2011 at 10:21 pm |
  23. Deb

Bright and articulate. Had a tendency to go too far at times but that was part of his brand. Great counterpoint to Fox. What does MSNBC have other than Rachel Maddow? My balance was AC360.

January 21, 2011 at 10:21 pm |
  24. Helen

Will the departure of Keith Olbermann changes the way MSNBC and NBC News do business with others, the news, and way they operate even though on Tuesday the Federal Communication Commission (FCC) approved the merge with NBC Universal and Comcast?

January 21, 2011 at 10:21 pm |
  25. Heather - Spokane, WA

I never watched MSNBC but I knew the name Keith Olbermann. I guess that shows how popular he was and obviously he was the one who made MSNBC who they were. I'm sure wherever he goes he will still be known

January 21, 2011 at 10:21 pm |
  26. David Garcia San Diego, CA.

Its certain that he will continue having a voice and influence.

January 21, 2011 at 10:21 pm |
  27. carol

i'm shocked and sad. But i agree, OWN needs someone like keith and he'd be great!! but i guess we have to wait for 2 years :((

January 21, 2011 at 10:21 pm |
  28. Kaytee

Cannot understand why everyone is saying he was so controversial. Yes, he did go a little too far every blue moon, but everytime he did, he apologized to his audience. But the Faux Noise people are completely out there ALL of the time and NEVER apologize for it! Volatile describes the whole lying Faux Noise!

January 21, 2011 at 10:20 pm |
  29. willie

i will miss keith hello cnn

January 21, 2011 at 10:20 pm |
  30. Troy

I think its a step in the right direction. We need all the people who only blast the other party and ignores everything else to leave the news channels fox and msnbc. Thats why i watch cnn becuase they actually report news. Now if we could only get Bech on fox to leave too.

January 21, 2011 at 10:20 pm |
  31. Sharon

So, does this have anything to do with the latest FCC vote regarding Comcast and NBC? HMMM.
    The ONLY reason why I would stick with MSNBC now is to watch Rachel...What a stunning loss. I love the guy and I'd listen to him read a phone book. I agree with Casey in LV. I'm glad I downloaded his wide ranging commentaries.

January 21, 2011 at 10:20 pm |
  32. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

@Larry, on the contrary. Tolerance scored a victory tonight.

January 21, 2011 at 10:20 pm |
  33. Sharon Hastings

I guess this goes to show that the numbers and ratings don't protect you completely. And I must say his "denouncements" were pretty accurate although overboard at times.

January 21, 2011 at 10:20 pm |
  34. Elise

This is just the beginning of Comcast's takeover of U.S. television and internet content.

January 21, 2011 at 10:19 pm |
  35. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

Olbermann was as biased and radical for the left as Limbaugh for the right.

January 21, 2011 at 10:19 pm |
  36. Greg

Keith's departure challenges the balance between extreme journalism on prime time. If this is disarmament, will Beck be released from FOX.

January 21, 2011 at 10:19 pm |
  37. Steven in Denver

I certainly hope that Keith Olbermann's departure isn't the first wave of Comcast trying to dismantle the only authentically liberal voices on prime time. Personalities come and go, and conflicts can arise in any work environment, but American television news is a business, and that necessarily tends to list to starboard.

January 21, 2011 at 10:19 pm |
  38. Anita

I was stunned tonight. I loved Keith and his show primarily because of what Casey Jones said above...he was "astoundingly articulate, well-educated, and razor-sharp with his grasp of, and his ability to, deliver the facts." He and Rachel Maddow were the reason I gave MSNBC my support. Rachel is now the only reason why I'll watch now. And for much the same reason why I liked Keith. She's also very funny as was Keith in his way. I will miss him and hope that he finds a better place soon.

January 21, 2011 at 10:19 pm |
  39. PRussell

MSNBC made a bad mistake. I will watch Rachel but without Keith they lose me. Kieth it the most truthful broadcaster in the business. He doesn't do middle of the road. He takes a stand when he sees injustice and that is rare

January 21, 2011 at 10:18 pm |
  40. Karin

Big mistake MSNBC. Countdown is the only show I watched on MSNBC,otherwise I watch CNN. I'll miss his well-educated, articulate dialog.

January 21, 2011 at 10:18 pm |
  41. linda

I am shocked to learn that Keith won't be on anymore. He will be missed. He was msnbc and brought alot of facts to the public.
    He is very talented and I hope he will be back on as soon as possible.

It seems that the right ( Fox ) will see this as a win for the conservatives.

January 21, 2011 at 10:18 pm |
  42. Helene Lyne

This is the saddest news I've heard.
    I watch and enjoy Keith Olbermann every night.
    He is witty and compassionate. Note all he has done for others in this country.
    It's a sad night indeed.

January 21, 2011 at 10:18 pm |
  43. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

I am ecstatic about the fall of Olbermann.

January 21, 2011 at 10:18 pm |
  44. Eliza

He did cartoon voiceovers at Cartoon Express. Maybe he's going back to cartoons.

January 21, 2011 at 10:17 pm |
  45. Karen, MN

I don't watch MSNBC so I don't know that much about Keith Olbermann.

January 21, 2011 at 10:17 pm |
  46. Larry M Sharpe

Cable news just became a liitle more intolerant tonight with Olbermann's departure. I can't wait until he shows up somewhere else again.

January 21, 2011 at 10:17 pm |
  47. Susann

Good evening! Keith was my #1 reason for watching MSNBC, but he seemed to be taking an inordinate amount of time off lately. Maybe it has nothing to do with Comcast, we don't know. I only hope he resurfaces on air soon. He was my source of sanity.

January 21, 2011 at 10:17 pm |
  48. Marlene

Not surprised..thought his days were numbered..its all political..too bad..he's very talented...we haven't heard the end of it

January 21, 2011 at 10:17 pm |
  49. Mark and Margaret in CA

Thank you for covering Mr. Olbermann's leaving MSNBC. We counted on Keith to "tell it like it is" and we are at a loss. We will miss him terribly. Thx again for covering "other" news net news.

January 21, 2011 at 10:17 pm |
  50. George

Could this be political in any way? Please find out Anderson. I am absolutley suprised by this. I am saddened by this developing news. I will follow along for an answer on your broadcast. Thanks, – George

January 21, 2011 at 10:16 pm |